shockwave plugin problem - Mozilla

This is a discussion on shockwave plugin problem - Mozilla ; The shockwave and flash players test site shows flash working fine but a plugin needed for shockwave. I clicked to get the plugin. Downloaded to desktop, closed Firefox and installed. Test shows it works in IE but not Firefox. I ...

  1. shockwave plugin problem

    The shockwave and flash players test site shows flash working fine but a
    plugin needed for shockwave. I clicked to get the plugin. Downloaded to
    desktop, closed Firefox and installed. Test shows it works in IE but not
    Firefox. I tried uninstalling shockwave and downloading and
    re-installing from the Macromedia site. No help. I went to the
    macromedia site for help. It mentions possible double entries for
    dirapi.dll and/or iml32.dll. A search found only the entries that are
    supposed to be there.

    Aboutlugins shows one entry for shockwave flash: File name:
    NPSWF32.dll Shockwave Flash 9.0 r47. The version I just installed is
    10.2 r23.

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Eva

  2. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Eva wrote:
    > The shockwave and flash players test site shows flash working fine but a
    > plugin needed for shockwave. I clicked to get the plugin. Downloaded to
    > desktop, closed Firefox and installed. Test shows it works in IE but not
    > Firefox. I tried uninstalling shockwave and downloading and
    > re-installing from the Macromedia site. No help. I went to the
    > macromedia site for help. It mentions possible double entries for
    > dirapi.dll and/or iml32.dll. A search found only the entries that are
    > supposed to be there.
    >
    > Aboutlugins shows one entry for shockwave flash: File name:
    > NPSWF32.dll Shockwave Flash 9.0 r47. The version I just installed is
    > 10.2 r23.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > Eva

    in the add/remove programs, remove Shockwave Flash. Then
    reinstall the current.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Eva wrote:
    >> The shockwave and flash players test site shows flash working fine but
    >> a plugin needed for shockwave. I clicked to get the plugin. Downloaded
    >> to desktop, closed Firefox and installed. Test shows it works in IE
    >> but not Firefox. I tried uninstalling shockwave and downloading and
    >> re-installing from the Macromedia site. No help. I went to the
    >> macromedia site for help. It mentions possible double entries for
    >> dirapi.dll and/or iml32.dll. A search found only the entries that are
    >> supposed to be there.
    >>
    >> Aboutlugins shows one entry for shockwave flash: File name:
    >> NPSWF32.dll Shockwave Flash 9.0 r47. The version I just installed is
    >> 10.2 r23.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >> Eva

    > in the add/remove programs, remove Shockwave Flash. Then reinstall the
    > current.

    I did that but it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion.

  4. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Eva wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Eva wrote:
    >>> The shockwave and flash players test site shows flash working fine but
    >>> a plugin needed for shockwave. I clicked to get the plugin. Downloaded
    >>> to desktop, closed Firefox and installed. Test shows it works in IE
    >>> but not Firefox. I tried uninstalling shockwave and downloading and
    >>> re-installing from the Macromedia site. No help. I went to the
    >>> macromedia site for help. It mentions possible double entries for
    >>> dirapi.dll and/or iml32.dll. A search found only the entries that are
    >>> supposed to be there.
    >>>
    >>> Aboutlugins shows one entry for shockwave flash: File name:
    >>> NPSWF32.dll Shockwave Flash 9.0 r47. The version I just installed is
    >>> 10.2 r23.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>> Eva

    >> in the add/remove programs, remove Shockwave Flash. Then reinstall the
    >> current.
    >>

    > I did that but it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion.

    then try asking in the flash newsgroup located on the
    forums.macromedia.com server.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Eva wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Eva wrote:
    >>> The shockwave and flash players test site shows flash working fine but
    >>> a plugin needed for shockwave. I clicked to get the plugin. Downloaded
    >>> to desktop, closed Firefox and installed. Test shows it works in IE
    >>> but not Firefox. I tried uninstalling shockwave and downloading and
    >>> re-installing from the Macromedia site. No help. I went to the
    >>> macromedia site for help. It mentions possible double entries for
    >>> dirapi.dll and/or iml32.dll. A search found only the entries that are
    >>> supposed to be there.
    >>>
    >>> Aboutlugins shows one entry for shockwave flash: File name:
    >>> NPSWF32.dll Shockwave Flash 9.0 r47.

    That is the current version of the Shockwave *Flash* player.

    >>> The version I just installed is 10.2 r23.

    That is current version of Shockwave for Director.

    They are two different plugins, just in case that wasn't clear.

    It does get confusing because they both have 'Shockwave' in the names.

    >>> Thanks in advance for your help.
    >>> Eva

    >> in the add/remove programs, remove Shockwave Flash. Then reinstall the
    >> current.
    >>

    > I did that but it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion.

    In Add/Remove Programs, do you see Adobe Shockwave Player?

    If so, check for the following two files (assuming WinXP & the default
    install location):
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\np32dsw.dll
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\ShockwavePlugin.class

    If those files exist, then make sure FF is closed, and, for WinXP, go to:
    C:\Documents and Settings\\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\

    The Application Data folder is a hidden folder; to show hidden folders,
    open Windows Explorer and choose "Tools → Folder Options → View (tab) →
    Show hidden files and folders".

    If you are not using a different version of Windows, then see this page,
    which will tell you how to get to the profile directory:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
    but keep in mind, we want the directory one level above that, the
    'Firefox' directory.

    In that directory, delete the file pluginreg.dat. FF will recreate it
    when you start it.

    Start FF and check aboutlugins. Do you now see an entry for Shockwave
    for Director?

    If so, then go to:
    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

    Does it work now?

    If all else fails, there is one final work around:

    Download the Shockwave for Director installer.

    Rename it from Shockwave_Installer_Slim.exe to Shockwave_Installer_Slim.zip.

    Open the file and extract the files:
    np32dsw.dll
    ShockwavePlugin.class

    and put them in the plugins directory for your FF installation. Again,
    for WinXP, the default location would be:
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\

    --
    Alex K.

  6. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Alex K. wrote:
    > Eva wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > That is the current version of the Shockwave *Flash* player.

    > That is current version of Shockwave for Director.
    >
    > They are two different plugins, just in case that wasn't clear.
    >
    > It does get confusing because they both have 'Shockwave' in the names.

    >>> in the add/remove programs, remove Shockwave Flash. Then reinstall the
    >>> current.
    >>>

    >> I did that but it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion.

    > In Add/Remove Programs, do you see Adobe Shockwave Player?
    >
    > If so, check for the following two files (assuming WinXP & the default
    > install location):
    > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\np32dsw.dll
    > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\ShockwavePlugin.class
    >
    > If those files exist, then make sure FF is closed, and, for WinXP, go to:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\
    >
    > The Application Data folder is a hidden folder; to show hidden folders,
    > open Windows Explorer and choose "Tools → Folder Options → View (tab) →
    > Show hidden files and folders".
    >
    > If you are not using a different version of Windows, then see this page,
    > which will tell you how to get to the profile directory:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
    > but keep in mind, we want the directory one level above that, the
    > 'Firefox' directory.
    >
    > In that directory, delete the file pluginreg.dat. FF will recreate it
    > when you start it.
    >
    > Start FF and check aboutlugins. Do you now see an entry for Shockwave
    > for Director?
    >
    > If so, then go to:
    > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    >
    > Does it work now?
    >
    > If all else fails, there is one final work around:
    >
    > Download the Shockwave for Director installer.
    >
    > Rename it from Shockwave_Installer_Slim.exe to Shockwave_Installer_Slim.zip.
    >
    > Open the file and extract the files:
    > np32dsw.dll
    > ShockwavePlugin.class
    >
    > and put them in the plugins directory for your FF installation. Again,
    > for WinXP, the default location would be:
    > C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\

    Peter, Thanks for your suggestions. I did post to the adobe shockwave
    forum but have not received a reply as yet.

    Alex, Thanks, I followed your directions. Aboutlugins now shows the
    shockwave for director. The files np32dsw.dll and ShockwavePlugin.class
    are where they're supposed to be. The shockwave test still asks me to
    get the plugin.

    Eva

  7. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Eva wrote:
    > Alex K. wrote:
    >> Eva wrote:

    >> That is the current version of the Shockwave *Flash* player.

    >> That is current version of Shockwave for Director.
    >>
    >> They are two different plugins, just in case that wasn't clear.
    >>
    >> It does get confusing because they both have 'Shockwave' in the names.

    >>> I did that but it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion.

    >> In Add/Remove Programs, do you see Adobe Shockwave Player?
    >>
    >> If so, check for the following two files (assuming WinXP & the default
    >> install location):
    >> C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\np32dsw.dll
    >> C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\ShockwavePlugin.class
    >>
    >> If those files exist, then make sure FF is closed, and, for WinXP, go to:
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\\Application
    >> Data\Mozilla\Firefox\
    >>
    >> The Application Data folder is a hidden folder; to show hidden folders,
    >> open Windows Explorer and choose "Tools → Folder Options → View (tab) →
    >> Show hidden files and folders".
    >>
    >> If you are not using a different version of Windows, then see this page,
    >> which will tell you how to get to the profile directory:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
    >> but keep in mind, we want the directory one level above that, the
    >> 'Firefox' directory.
    >>
    >> In that directory, delete the file pluginreg.dat. FF will recreate it
    >> when you start it.
    >>
    >> Start FF and check aboutlugins. Do you now see an entry for Shockwave
    >> for Director?
    >>
    >> If so, then go to:
    >> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    >>
    >> Does it work now?
    >>
    >> If all else fails, there is one final work around:
    >>
    >> Download the Shockwave for Director installer.
    >>
    >> Rename it from Shockwave_Installer_Slim.exe to Shockwave_Installer_Slim.zip.
    >>
    >> Open the file and extract the files:
    >> np32dsw.dll
    >> ShockwavePlugin.class
    >>
    >> and put them in the plugins directory for your FF installation. Again,
    >> for WinXP, the default location would be:
    >> C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins\
    >>

    > Peter, Thanks for your suggestions. I did post to the adobe shockwave
    > forum but have not received a reply as yet.
    >
    > Alex, Thanks, I followed your directions. Aboutlugins now shows the
    > shockwave for director. The files np32dsw.dll and ShockwavePlugin.class
    > are where they're supposed to be. The shockwave test still asks me to
    > get the plugin.
    >
    > Eva

    OK, lets try creating a test profile.

    Go to Start -> Run, and enter: firefox -p

    This will bring up the profile manager.

    Click the 'Create Profile' button, click the 'Next' button, enter a name
    for the new profile, and click the 'Finish' button.

    In the 'Choose User Profile' window, highlight the new profile and click
    the 'Start Firefox' button.

    This will start FF with the new profile, with the default settings & no
    added extensions. You will not see your bookmarks, do not be alarmed.
    One thing at a time. ;-)

    Go to the adobe test page:
    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

    Does it work now?

    If so, you can see this page to migrate data from your old profile to
    the new one:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri...file_-_Firefox

    If the new profile does not solve the problem, to go back to your
    original profile, follow the above instruction for bringing up the
    profile manager, but this time, just highlight your old profile and
    click the 'Start Firefox' button.

    --
    Alex K.

  8. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Alex K. wrote:
> [...]

    > for the new profile, and click the 'Finish' button.
    >
    > In the 'Choose User Profile' window, highlight the new profile and click
    > the 'Start Firefox' button.
    >
    > This will start FF with the new profile, with the default settings & no
    > added extensions. You will not see your bookmarks, do not be alarmed.
    > One thing at a time. ;-)
    >
    > Go to the adobe test page:
    > http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    >
    > Does it work now?
    >
    > If so, you can see this page to migrate data from your old profile to
    > the new one:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri...file_-_Firefox
    >
    > If the new profile does not solve the problem, to go back to your
    > original profile, follow the above instruction for bringing up the
    > profile manager, but this time, just highlight your old profile and

    Alex, I did what you suggested. In the new profile I no longer get the
    request to download the shockwave plugin, but instead of the
    image there is just a white blank.

    Would the problem have anything to do with a Quicktime update that I was
    prompted to do and did recently?

    My husband's computer, which is identical to mine, does give the image
    for successful installation on the shockwave test page. The description
    in aboutlugins is the same for his machine as mine. Is there something
    I can pluck from his machine and put on mine?

    Eva

  9. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Eva wrote:
    > Alex K. wrote:
    >> Eva wrote:

    >>> Peter, Thanks for your suggestions. I did post to the adobe shockwave
    >>> forum but have not received a reply as yet.
    >>>
    >>> Alex, Thanks, I followed your directions. Aboutlugins now shows the
    >>> shockwave for director. The files np32dsw.dll and ShockwavePlugin.class
    >>> are where they're supposed to be. The shockwave test still asks me to
    >>> get the plugin.
    >>>
    >>> Eva

    >> OK, lets try creating a test profile.
    >>
    >> Go to Start -> Run, and enter: firefox -p
    >>
    >> This will bring up the profile manager.
    >>
    >> Click the 'Create Profile' button, click the 'Next' button, enter a name
    >> for the new profile, and click the 'Finish' button.
    >>
    >> In the 'Choose User Profile' window, highlight the new profile and click
    >> the 'Start Firefox' button.
    >>
    >> This will start FF with the new profile, with the default settings & no
    >> added extensions. You will not see your bookmarks, do not be alarmed.
    >> One thing at a time. ;-)
    >>
    >> Go to the adobe test page:
    >> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    >>
    >> Does it work now?
    >>
    >> If so, you can see this page to migrate data from your old profile to
    >> the new one:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri...file_-_Firefox
    >>
    >> If the new profile does not solve the problem, to go back to your
    >> original profile, follow the above instruction for bringing up the
    >> profile manager, but this time, just highlight your old profile and
    >> click the 'Start Firefox' button.
    >>

    > Alex, I did what you suggested. In the new profile I no longer get the
    > request to download the shockwave plugin, but instead of the
    > image there is just a white blank.
    >
    > Would the problem have anything to do with a Quicktime update that I was
    > prompted to do and did recently?
    >
    > My husband's computer, which is identical to mine, does give the image
    > for successful installation on the shockwave test page. The description
    > in aboutlugins is the same for his machine as mine. Is there something
    > I can pluck from his machine and put on mine?
    >
    > Eva

    if you're not careful about installing QT, then it can take
    over preferences from other plugins. QT says it can play
    flash, but I've never seen it happen and nobody has ever
    said it does.

    Close FF. So, from the windows control panel, click on the
    QT icon. Under Browser Plugins, Mine Types button, and
    Misc, uncheck Flash. Then under File Type Assocations, File
    Types button, and under Misc, uncheck Flash there, too.
    Now, restart FF. Do things work now?

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  10. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Thunderbird Leader Eva teletyped, On 8/26/2007 3:16 PM:
    > Alex K. wrote:
    >> Eva wrote:

    >>> Peter, Thanks for your suggestions. I did post to the adobe
    >>> shockwave forum but have not received a reply as yet.
    >>>
    >>> Alex, Thanks, I followed your directions. Aboutlugins now shows
    >>> the shockwave for director. The files np32dsw.dll and
    >>> ShockwavePlugin.class are where they're supposed to be. The
    >>> shockwave test still asks me to get the plugin.
    >>>
    >>> Eva

    >> OK, lets try creating a test profile.
    >>
    >> Go to Start -> Run, and enter: firefox -p
    >>
    >> This will bring up the profile manager.
    >>
    >> Click the 'Create Profile' button, click the 'Next' button, enter a name
    >> for the new profile, and click the 'Finish' button.
    >>
    >> In the 'Choose User Profile' window, highlight the new profile and click
    >> the 'Start Firefox' button.
    >>
    >> This will start FF with the new profile, with the default settings & no
    >> added extensions. You will not see your bookmarks, do not be alarmed.
    >> One thing at a time. ;-)
    >>
    >> Go to the adobe test page:
    >> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    >>
    >> Does it work now?
    >>
    >> If so, you can see this page to migrate data from your old profile to
    >> the new one:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri...file_-_Firefox
    >>
    >> If the new profile does not solve the problem, to go back to your
    >> original profile, follow the above instruction for bringing up the
    >> profile manager, but this time, just highlight your old profile and
    >> click the 'Start Firefox' button.
    >>

    > Alex, I did what you suggested. In the new profile I no longer get the
    > request to download the shockwave plugin, but instead of the
    > image there is just a white blank.
    >
    > Would the problem have anything to do with a Quicktime update that I
    > was prompted to do and did recently?
    >
    > My husband's computer, which is identical to mine, does give the image
    > for successful installation on the shockwave test page. The description
    > in aboutlugins is the same for his machine as mine. Is there something
    > I can pluck from his machine and put on mine?
    >
    > Eva

    Historically Windows users have had problems with conflicts between QT
    and other players. Fortunately Apple added ability in the QT user
    interface to turn on/off their player for the many file types it can
    handle. This may be a case where QT needs to be reset to let Shockwave
    do the work, not QT.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  11. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Eva wrote:
    >> Alex K. wrote:

    >>> OK, lets try creating a test profile.
    >>>
    >>> Go to Start -> Run, and enter: firefox -p
    >>>
    >>> This will bring up the profile manager.
    >>>
    >>> Click the 'Create Profile' button, click the 'Next' button, enter a name
    >>> for the new profile, and click the 'Finish' button.
    >>>
    >>> In the 'Choose User Profile' window, highlight the new profile and click
    >>> the 'Start Firefox' button.
    >>>
    >>> This will start FF with the new profile, with the default settings & no
    >>> added extensions. You will not see your bookmarks, do not be alarmed.
    >>> One thing at a time. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Go to the adobe test page:
    >>> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    >>>
    >>> Does it work now?
    >>>
    >>> If so, you can see this page to migrate data from your old profile to
    >>> the new one:
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri...file_-_Firefox
    >>>
    >>> If the new profile does not solve the problem, to go back to your
    >>> original profile, follow the above instruction for bringing up the
    >>> profile manager, but this time, just highlight your old profile and
    >>> click the 'Start Firefox' button.
    >>>

    >> Alex, I did what you suggested. In the new profile I no longer get the
    >> request to download the shockwave plugin, but instead of the
    >> image there is just a white blank.
    >>
    >> Would the problem have anything to do with a Quicktime update that I
    >> was prompted to do and did recently?
    >>
    >> My husband's computer, which is identical to mine, does give the image
    >> for successful installation on the shockwave test page. The description
    >> in aboutlugins is the same for his machine as mine. Is there something
    >> I can pluck from his machine and put on mine?
    >>
    >> Eva

    > if you're not careful about installing QT, then it can take over
    > preferences from other plugins. QT says it can play flash, but I've
    > never seen it happen and nobody has ever said it does.
    >
    > Close FF. So, from the windows control panel, click on the QT icon.
    > Under Browser Plugins, Mine Types button, and Misc, uncheck Flash. Then
    > under File Type Assocations, File Types button, and under Misc, uncheck
    > Flash there, too. Now, restart FF. Do things work now?

    Thanks for the suggestions. I checked QT in the control panel. There
    were no checks for Flash.
    Eva

  12. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Eva wrote:
    > Alex K. wrote:
    >> Eva wrote:

    >>> Peter, Thanks for your suggestions. I did post to the adobe shockwave
    >>> forum but have not received a reply as yet.
    >>>
    >>> Alex, Thanks, I followed your directions. Aboutlugins now shows the
    >>> shockwave for director. The files np32dsw.dll and ShockwavePlugin.class
    >>> are where they're supposed to be. The shockwave test still asks me to
    >>> get the plugin.
    >>>
    >>> Eva

    >> OK, lets try creating a test profile.
    >>
    >> Go to Start -> Run, and enter: firefox -p
    >>
    >> This will bring up the profile manager.
    >>
    >> Click the 'Create Profile' button, click the 'Next' button, enter a name
    >> for the new profile, and click the 'Finish' button.
    >>
    >> In the 'Choose User Profile' window, highlight the new profile and click
    >> the 'Start Firefox' button.
    >>
    >> This will start FF with the new profile, with the default settings & no
    >> added extensions. You will not see your bookmarks, do not be alarmed.
    >> One thing at a time. ;-)
    >>
    >> Go to the adobe test page:
    >> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    >>
    >> Does it work now?
    >>
    >> If so, you can see this page to migrate data from your old profile to
    >> the new one:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri...file_-_Firefox
    >>
    >> If the new profile does not solve the problem, to go back to your
    >> original profile, follow the above instruction for bringing up the
    >> profile manager, but this time, just highlight your old profile and
    >> click the 'Start Firefox' button.
    >>

    > Alex, I did what you suggested. In the new profile I no longer get the
    > request to download the shockwave plugin, but instead of the
    > image there is just a white blank.

    If you right-click where the image, actually, the director content,
    should be, in between the headings "Adobe Shockwave Player" and "Adobe
    Flash Player", do you see the director menu? You would see, at the
    bottom of the menu, 'About Shockwave Player..."

    > Would the problem have anything to do with a Quicktime update that I was
    > prompted to do and did recently?

    Hard to say, for sure. One way to eliminate it as a possibility would
    be to uninstall Quicktime, temporarily, for testing purposes.

    > My husband's computer, which is identical to mine, does give the image
    > for successful installation on the shockwave test page. The description
    > in aboutlugins is the same for his machine as mine. Is there something
    > I can pluck from his machine and put on mine?

    I can't think of anything off the top of my head, that would make a
    difference, at this point.

    One more question:
    Do you have JavaScript enabled in Tools -> Options -> Content

    If I turn off JavaScript, then neither Director nor Flash will load on
    that page. I do not get any "missing plugins" alerts. There is a
    caution symbol and a statement at the top of the page then, stating "You
    may not have everything you need to view certain sections of Adobe.com.
    Please see our site requirements."

    In that case, I get nothing where the Director content should be, and
    where the Flash content should be, I see:

    "You need the latest Flash Player and JavaScript enabled to view this
    content.

    Get the Flash Player now"

    Have you received any response to your posting on the Adobe forums?

    --
    Alex K.

  13. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Alex K. wrote:
    > Eva wrote:
    >> Alex K. wrote:

    >>> OK, lets try creating a test profile.
    >>>
    >>> Go to Start -> Run, and enter: firefox -p
    >>>
    >>> This will bring up the profile manager.
    >>>
    >>> Click the 'Create Profile' button, click the 'Next' button, enter a name
    >>> for the new profile, and click the 'Finish' button.
    >>>
    >>> In the 'Choose User Profile' window, highlight the new profile and click
    >>> the 'Start Firefox' button.
    >>>
    >>> This will start FF with the new profile, with the default settings & no
    >>> added extensions. You will not see your bookmarks, do not be alarmed.
    >>> One thing at a time. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Go to the adobe test page:
    >>> http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/
    >>>
    >>> Does it work now?
    >>>
    >>> If so, you can see this page to migrate data from your old profile to
    >>> the new one:
    >>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferri...file_-_Firefox
    >>>
    >>> If the new profile does not solve the problem, to go back to your
    >>> original profile, follow the above instruction for bringing up the
    >>> profile manager, but this time, just highlight your old profile and
    >>> click the 'Start Firefox' button.
    >>>

    >> Alex, I did what you suggested. In the new profile I no longer get the
    >> request to download the shockwave plugin, but instead of the
    >> image there is just a white blank.

    > If you right-click where the image, actually, the director content,
    > should be, in between the headings "Adobe Shockwave Player" and "Adobe
    > Flash Player", do you see the director menu? You would see, at the
    > bottom of the menu, 'About Shockwave Player..."
    >
    >> Would the problem have anything to do with a Quicktime update that I was
    >> prompted to do and did recently?

    > Hard to say, for sure. One way to eliminate it as a possibility would
    > be to uninstall Quicktime, temporarily, for testing purposes.
    >
    >> My husband's computer, which is identical to mine, does give the image
    >> for successful installation on the shockwave test page. The description
    >> in aboutlugins is the same for his machine as mine. Is there something
    >> I can pluck from his machine and put on mine?

    > I can't think of anything off the top of my head, that would make a
    > difference, at this point.
    >
    > One more question:
    > Do you have JavaScript enabled in Tools -> Options -> Content
    >
    > If I turn off JavaScript, then neither Director nor Flash will load on
    > that page. I do not get any "missing plugins" alerts. There is a
    > caution symbol and a statement at the top of the page then, stating "You
    > may not have everything you need to view certain sections of Adobe.com.
    > Please see our site requirements."
    >
    > In that case, I get nothing where the Director content should be, and
    > where the Flash content should be, I see:
    >
    > "You need the latest Flash Player and JavaScript enabled to view this
    > content.
    >
    > Get the Flash Player now"
    >
    > Have you received any response to your posting on the Adobe forums?

    I haven't had any response to my posting on the Adobe forum. And, yes,
    Javascript is enabled. I suppose if I have a need for Shockwave at any
    time, I can always use my husband's computer. He uses mine if he doesn't
    want to go downstairs to use his ;-).

    If you have any other ideas I'll be happy to try them.
    Thanks for staying with me on this.
    Eva

  14. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Eva wrote:
    >> Alex K. wrote:

    >>> If you right-click where the image, actually, the director content,
    >>> should be, in between the headings "Adobe Shockwave Player" and "Adobe
    >>> Flash Player", do you see the director menu? You would see, at the
    >>> bottom of the menu, 'About Shockwave Player..."

    >>> Hard to say, for sure. One way to eliminate it as a possibility would
    >>> be to uninstall Quicktime, temporarily, for testing purposes.

    >>> I can't think of anything off the top of my head, that would make a
    >>> difference, at this point.
    >>>
    >>> One more question:
    >>> Do you have JavaScript enabled in Tools -> Options -> Content
    >>>
    >>> If I turn off JavaScript, then neither Director nor Flash will load on
    >>> that page. I do not get any "missing plugins" alerts. There is a
    >>> caution symbol and a statement at the top of the page then, stating "You
    >>> may not have everything you need to view certain sections of Adobe.com.
    >>> Please see our site requirements."
    >>>
    >>> In that case, I get nothing where the Director content should be, and
    >>> where the Flash content should be, I see:
    >>>
    >>> "You need the latest Flash Player and JavaScript enabled to view this
    >>> content.
    >>>
    >>> Get the Flash Player now"
    >>>
    >>> Have you received any response to your posting on the Adobe forums?
    >>>

    >> I haven't had any response to my posting on the Adobe forum. And, yes,
    >> Javascript is enabled. I suppose if I have a need for Shockwave at any
    >> time, I can always use my husband's computer. He uses mine if he
    >> doesn't want to go downstairs to use his ;-).
    >>
    >> If you have any other ideas I'll be happy to try them.
    >> Thanks for staying with me on this.
    >> Eva

    > do you have any of these extensions installed: Flash block, adblock, or
    > noscript?

    Yes, I have Flash block and adblock installed. I tried disabling them
    but that had no effect on shockwave.

    Thanks for the suggestion. Eva

  15. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Eva wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Eva wrote:

    >>> I haven't had any response to my posting on the Adobe forum. And, yes,
    >>> Javascript is enabled. I suppose if I have a need for Shockwave at any
    >>> time, I can always use my husband's computer. He uses mine if he
    >>> doesn't want to go downstairs to use his ;-).
    >>>
    >>> If you have any other ideas I'll be happy to try them.
    >>> Thanks for staying with me on this.
    >>> Eva

    >> do you have any of these extensions installed: Flash block, adblock, or
    >> noscript?
    >>

    > Yes, I have Flash block and adblock installed. I tried disabling them
    > but that had no effect on shockwave.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. Eva

    In addition, the new profile should have eliminated those as a
    possibility, as they are normally installed to the profile, unless you
    specifically force them to install globally.

    At this point, I'm down to one last suggestion, the nuclear option. :-)

    If I were experiencing this problem myself, I would do the following:

    Uninstall Shockwave Flash and Shockwave Director through Add/Remove
    Programs.

    Do a clean reinstall of FF, following the steps outlined here:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_d...lean_reinstall

    I would make sure to follow the steps/links to making a backup of your
    profile & deleting the Application Data folder, as described.

    As an added step, I would reboot the system before reinstalling FF.

    Reinstall Flash, test to ensure it is working properly before
    reinstalling Director.

    If that doesn't solve the problem, I'm out of ideas.

    --
    Alex K.

  16. Re: shockwave plugin problem

    Alex K. wrote:
    > Eva wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> do you have any of these extensions installed: Flash block, adblock, or
    >>> noscript?
    >>>

    >> Yes, I have Flash block and adblock installed. I tried disabling them
    >> but that had no effect on shockwave.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the suggestion. Eva

    > In addition, the new profile should have eliminated those as a
    > possibility, as they are normally installed to the profile, unless you
    > specifically force them to install globally.
    >
    > At this point, I'm down to one last suggestion, the nuclear option. :-)
    >
    > If I were experiencing this problem myself, I would do the following:
    >
    > Uninstall Shockwave Flash and Shockwave Director through Add/Remove
    > Programs.
    >
    > Do a clean reinstall of FF, following the steps outlined here:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_d...lean_reinstall
    >
    > I would make sure to follow the steps/links to making a backup of your
    > profile & deleting the Application Data folder, as described.
    >
    > As an added step, I would reboot the system before reinstalling FF.
    >
    > Reinstall Flash, test to ensure it is working properly before
    > reinstalling Director.
    >
    > If that doesn't solve the problem, I'm out of ideas.

    The nuclear option requires gathering some courage on my part. I'm going
    on a trip tomorrow and will tackle the nuclear option when I get back.
    I'll report the results. Thanks for all your help.
    Eva

+ Reply to Thread