Popup windows and scroll-bar - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Popup windows and scroll-bar - Mozilla ; I occasionally visit a tv station web site and have a problem with it. When I click on a headline, a popup window appears with the story. Problem is, once the story loads, the scroll bar disappears and I'm left ...

  1. Popup windows and scroll-bar

    I occasionally visit a tv station web site and have a problem with it.
    When I click on a headline,
    a popup window appears with the story. Problem is, once the story
    loads, the scroll bar disappears
    and I'm left with only a small section of the story.

    The url for the station is: http://www.knoe.com
    Would someone try it and see if their experience is the same as mine.
    I'm using FF 2.0.0.6
    I've allowed javascript for this site but it doesn't help.

    Anyone?

  2. Re: Popup windows and scroll-bar

    "Planer" wrote in message
    news:Cu2dnc2j9_DMKVDbnZ2dnUVZ_vShnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >I occasionally visit a tv station web site and have a problem with it. When
    >I click on a headline,
    > a popup window appears with the story. Problem is, once the story loads,
    > the scroll bar disappears
    > and I'm left with only a small section of the story.
    >
    > The url for the station is: http://www.knoe.com
    > Would someone try it and see if their experience is the same as mine.
    > I'm using FF 2.0.0.6
    > I've allowed javascript for this site but it doesn't help.
    >
    > Anyone?

    I have a different problem with the site. I can read the articles no
    problem, but if I click on the video link, I get a message that Firefox has
    experienced a critical error and needs to be closed immediately. I cant
    watch any of the videos, and i do have all the addons up to date.

    jakewc2

  3. Re: Popup windows and scroll-bar

    "Planer" wrote in message
    news:Cu2dnc2j9_DMKVDbnZ2dnUVZ_vShnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >I occasionally visit a tv station web site and have a problem with it. When
    >I click on a headline,
    > a popup window appears with the story. Problem is, once the story loads,
    > the scroll bar disappears
    > and I'm left with only a small section of the story.
    >
    > The url for the station is: http://www.knoe.com
    > Would someone try it and see if their experience is the same as mine.
    > I'm using FF 2.0.0.6
    > I've allowed javascript for this site but it doesn't help.
    >
    > Anyone?

    I was able to read the articles no problem, but when I clicked on the video
    links for each article, it told me Firefox had experienced a critical error,
    and had to close. Not only did I have to close firefox, but it effected
    Outlook Express as well, when I tried to send this message outlook Express
    froze, and I had to use Control Alt Delete to close the program. Tried it
    twice, both times it caused an error in both programs.

    Would anybody know why that should happen?

  4. Re: Popup windows and scroll-bar

    "John" wrote in message
    news:aKudnerebqnoJlDbnZ2dnUVZ_sPinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    > "Planer" wrote in message
    > news:Cu2dnc2j9_DMKVDbnZ2dnUVZ_vShnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>I occasionally visit a tv station web site and have a problem with it.
    >>When I click on a headline,
    >> a popup window appears with the story. Problem is, once the story loads,
    >> the scroll bar disappears
    >> and I'm left with only a small section of the story.
    >>
    >> The url for the station is: http://www.knoe.com
    >> Would someone try it and see if their experience is the same as mine.
    >> I'm using FF 2.0.0.6
    >> I've allowed javascript for this site but it doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Anyone?

    > I was able to read the articles no problem, but when I clicked on the
    > video links for each article, it told me Firefox had experienced a
    > critical error, and had to close. Not only did I have to close firefox,
    > but it effected Outlook Express as well, when I tried to send this message
    > outlook Express froze, and I had to use Control Alt Delete to close the
    > program. Tried it twice, both times it caused an error in both programs.
    >
    > Would anybody know why that should happen?

    Hi, sorry about the double post, the first time the error happened, the
    first message got lost, and I couldnt find it when I reopened OE, it just
    appeared when I sent the second message, that's odd.

  5. Re: Popup windows and scroll-bar

    John wrote:
    > "Planer" wrote in message
    > news:Cu2dnc2j9_DMKVDbnZ2dnUVZ_vShnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> I occasionally visit a tv station web site and have a problem with it. When
    >> I click on a headline,
    >> a popup window appears with the story. Problem is, once the story loads,
    >> the scroll bar disappears
    >> and I'm left with only a small section of the story.
    >>
    >> The url for the station is: http://www.knoe.com
    >> Would someone try it and see if their experience is the same as mine.
    >> I'm using FF 2.0.0.6
    >> I've allowed javascript for this site but it doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Anyone?

    > I was able to read the articles no problem, but when I clicked on the video
    > links for each article, it told me Firefox had experienced a critical error,
    > and had to close. Not only did I have to close firefox, but it effected
    > Outlook Express as well, when I tried to send this message outlook Express
    > froze, and I had to use Control Alt Delete to close the program. Tried it
    > twice, both times it caused an error in both programs.
    >
    > Would anybody know why that should happen?

    have you got windows media player installed? If so, then try
    reinstalling it again.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: Popup windows and scroll-bar

    Planer wrote:
    > I occasionally visit a tv station web site and have a problem with it.
    > When I click on a headline,
    > a popup window appears with the story. Problem is, once the story
    > loads, the scroll bar disappears
    > and I'm left with only a small section of the story.
    >
    > The url for the station is: http://www.knoe.com
    > Would someone try it and see if their experience is the same as mine.
    > I'm using FF 2.0.0.6
    > I've allowed javascript for this site but it doesn't help.
    >
    > Anyone?

    nope, I get scrolls. Are you using the default theme? Do
    you have a scroll wheel? If so, then try clicking that to
    see if you get another type of scroller.

    You can try and have the new window open in a tab instead.
    In the address bar type in about:config and look for these
    entries:

    browser.link.open_external 1
    browser.link.open_newwindow 3
    browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction 0

    double click on the and change them to the number that I've
    indicated above. You may have to restart FF.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: Popup windows and scroll-bar

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Planer wrote:
    >> I occasionally visit a tv station web site and have a problem with it.
    >> When I click on a headline,
    >> a popup window appears with the story. Problem is, once the story
    >> loads, the scroll bar disappears
    >> and I'm left with only a small section of the story.
    >>
    >> The url for the station is: http://www.knoe.com
    >> Would someone try it and see if their experience is the same as mine.
    >> I'm using FF 2.0.0.6
    >> I've allowed javascript for this site but it doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Anyone?

    > You can try and have the new window open in a tab instead. In the
    > address bar type in about:config and look for these entries:
    >
    > browser.link.open_external 1
    > browser.link.open_newwindow 3
    > browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction 0
    >
    > double click on the and change them to the number that I've indicated
    > above. You may have to restart FF.

    Hey Thanks! That solved the problem! Not sure which did it or if it
    took all three,
    but it works now. As to the video problem... I hadn't even tried to
    view the vids.

  8. Re: Popup windows and scroll-bar

    Planer wrote:
    > I occasionally visit a tv station web site and have a problem with it.
    > When I click on a headline,
    > a popup window appears with the story. Problem is, once the story
    > loads, the scroll bar disappears
    > and I'm left with only a small section of the story.
    >
    > The url for the station is: http://www.knoe.com
    > Would someone try it and see if their experience is the same as mine.
    > I'm using FF 2.0.0.6
    > I've allowed javascript for this site but it doesn't help.
    >
    > Anyone?

    Maybe you should force scrollbars to be present in popups. Add this
    setting into about:config:
    dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars
    and set it to "true".

  9. Re: Popup windows and scroll-bar

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:27:22 -0500, in message ,
    Planer wrote:

    > I occasionally visit a tv station web site and have a problem with it.
    > When I click on a headline,
    > a popup window appears with the story. Problem is, once the story
    > loads, the scroll bar disappears
    > and I'm left with only a small section of the story.
    >
    > The url for the station is: http://www.knoe.com
    > Would someone try it and see if their experience is the same as mine.
    > I'm using FF 2.0.0.6
    > I've allowed javascript for this site but it doesn't help.
    >
    > Anyone?

    It doesn't happen like that here -- there is a vertical scrollbar.

    I do see a different issue -- the popup window is not resizable --
    but that is not the same problem as what you are reporting.

    Anyways, for the scrollbars issue (not the resizable issue),
    try this

    1. In the URL bar, enter

    about:config

    2. Scroll down to find the line with the preference name

    dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars

    3. If the value is false, double-click on it to change the value
    to true.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  10. Re: Popup windows and scroll-bar

    "Ralph Fox" <-@-.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:27:22 -0500, in message
    > ,
    > Planer wrote:
    >
    >> I occasionally visit a tv station web site and have a problem with it.
    >> When I click on a headline,
    >> a popup window appears with the story. Problem is, once the story
    >> loads, the scroll bar disappears
    >> and I'm left with only a small section of the story.
    >>
    >> The url for the station is: http://www.knoe.com
    >> Would someone try it and see if their experience is the same as mine.
    >> I'm using FF 2.0.0.6
    >> I've allowed javascript for this site but it doesn't help.
    >>
    >> Anyone?

    > It doesn't happen like that here -- there is a vertical scrollbar.
    >
    > I do see a different issue -- the popup window is not resizable --
    > but that is not the same problem as what you are reporting.
    >

    > Anyways, for the scrollbars issue (not the resizable issue),
    > try this
    >
    > 1. In the URL bar, enter
    >
    > about:config
    >
    > 2. Scroll down to find the line with the preference name
    >
    > dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars
    >
    > 3. If the value is false, double-click on it to change the value
    > to true.

    Would you double check that JavaScript is actually allowed, you have
    to actually click [OK], and don't know if you have to or should Refresh
    (F5)
    or not, if you change.

    Do you have NoScript extension installed.

    Funny I did not have popups blocked, but if I change to block popups
    they are still not blocked nor are they opening in tabs. Though I
    know you do want to see them. Perhaps something to do with not
    allowing popups to suppress address bar (avoid phishing and to be
    able to see what to block with Adblock) and not to supress scrollbars
    (so I can see the entire content), and be able to resize (so I can
    see content).

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,