firefox treating extension as a BIN - Mozilla

This is a discussion on firefox treating extension as a BIN - Mozilla ; I have a website that serves up image files with a .pln extension. These .pln files are really just tiff image files- not quite sure why they have the .pln extension but any tiff viewer works just fine with them. ...

  1. firefox treating extension as a BIN

    I have a website that serves up image files with a .pln extension.
    These .pln files are really just tiff image files- not quite sure why
    they have the .pln extension but any tiff viewer works just fine with
    them. I can associate the .tif extension with my tiff viewer when I
    open them in firefox just fine. But if I rename that .tif as .pln and
    try to open it in firefox then a dialogue box comes up to say:

    You have chosen to open
    rpm.pln
    which is a: BIN file
    from: /home/haasd

    Would you like to save the file?

    For some reason it considers that file to be a BIN file and I can't
    figure out why. There is no option at all to open it with a program or
    anything like that. This is a renamed file that exists on my local
    computer so there is nothing funny going on on the server side of
    things. Does anyone have any advice that would let me open these
    files in firefox?

  2. Re: firefox treating extension as a BIN

    haasd wrote:
    > I have a website that serves up image files with a .pln extension.
    > These .pln files are really just tiff image files- not quite sure why
    > they have the .pln extension but any tiff viewer works just fine with
    > them. I can associate the .tif extension with my tiff viewer when I
    > open them in firefox just fine. But if I rename that .tif as .pln and
    > try to open it in firefox then a dialogue box comes up to say:
    >
    > You have chosen to open
    > rpm.pln
    > which is a: BIN file
    > from: /home/haasd
    >
    > Would you like to save the file?
    >
    > For some reason it considers that file to be a BIN file and I can't
    > figure out why. There is no option at all to open it with a program or
    > anything like that. This is a renamed file that exists on my local
    > computer so there is nothing funny going on on the server side of
    > things. Does anyone have any advice that would let me open these
    > files in firefox?

    Firefox does not handle tiff files by itself, but if you want it to
    launch the right viewer to handle them, you could try the MIME Edit
    extension. It allows you to specify what should handle what types of
    files and extensions.

  3. Re: firefox treating extension as a BIN

    EE wrote:
    > haasd wrote:
    >> I have a website that serves up image files with a .pln extension.
    >> These .pln files are really just tiff image files- not quite sure why
    >> they have the .pln extension but any tiff viewer works just fine with
    >> them. I can associate the .tif extension with my tiff viewer when I
    >> open them in firefox just fine. But if I rename that .tif as .pln and
    >> try to open it in firefox then a dialogue box comes up to say:
    >>
    >> You have chosen to open
    >> rpm.pln
    >> which is a: BIN file
    >> from: /home/haasd
    >>
    >> Would you like to save the file?
    >>
    >> For some reason it considers that file to be a BIN file and I can't
    >> figure out why. There is no option at all to open it with a program or
    >> anything like that. This is a renamed file that exists on my local
    >> computer so there is nothing funny going on on the server side of
    >> things. Does anyone have any advice that would let me open these
    >> files in firefox?
    >>

    > Firefox does not handle tiff files by itself, but if you want it to
    > launch the right viewer to handle them, you could try the MIME Edit
    > extension. It allows you to specify what should handle what types of
    > files and extensions.

    AlternaTiff works just as good: http://www.alternatiff.com/

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm