Firefox Hangs System Windows 2000 only on pages with Java - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox Hangs System Windows 2000 only on pages with Java - Mozilla ; Hello, Any help with this prob would be appreciated. On visiting any website with java content causes the whole system to hang. The system is unresponsive for a couple of seconds and then restarts. The specific page is www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml This ...

  1. Firefox Hangs System Windows 2000 only on pages with Java

    Hello,

    Any help with this prob would be appreciated.
    On visiting any website with java content causes the whole system to
    hang.
    The system is unresponsive for a couple of seconds and then restarts.

    The specific page is www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
    This is a test page to check Java is working.
    I am using Windows 2000 SP4 and Firefox 2.0.0.6
    I have updated Java to ver 1.6.0 ( Build 1.6.0_02-b06)( Java Platform
    Standard Edition)
    The same problem was happening with Java 1.5
    I have the same issue with Firefox 2.0 and Firefox 1.5.
    If I visit the same test page with Opera browser it works fine.
    I have disabled all add-ons (Download Helper, Flash Block and No
    Script)
    These add-ons also have all been updated in attempt to resolve
    problem.
    The same problem occours with the firewall NOT running.
    Cant remember when exactly but did have a working Firefox/Java
    configuration at one point on this
    system.
    I have installed MS Process Dumper to try and get some information on
    the exception and when
    Firefox hangs at small window opens to say that it is writing dump
    info to \winnt\firefoxxx.dmp
    When I look at the dump info using Windbg my own knowledge fails and I
    cant make sense of the info.

    Sometimes I can use FF ok without encountering a Java enabled page and
    not a problem but
    obviously I cant avoid these pages all the time. I will post the dump
    info for review.

    Please help thanks,
    The Dude

  2. Re: Firefox Hangs System Windows 2000 only on pages with Java

    Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.7.0005.1

    User Mini Dump File with Full Memory: Only application data is
    available

    Comment: 'Userdump generated complete user-mode minidump with
    Exception Monitor function on ComputerName
    Symbol search path is: *** Invalid ***
    * Symbol loading may be unreliable without a symbol search path. *
    * Use .symfix to have the debugger choose a symbol path. *
    * After setting your symbol path, use .reload to refresh symbol
    locations. *
    Executable search path is:
    Windows 2000 Version 2195 (Service Pack 4) UP Free x86 compatible
    Product: WinNt
    Debug session time: Tue Aug 21 21:57:03.000 2007 (GMT+1)
    System Uptime: 0 days 0:14:01.606
    Process Uptime: 0 days 0:00:44.000
    .................................................. ...........................................
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols
    for NTDLL.DLL -
    This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
    The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
    (1b4.3d4): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not
    available)
    eax=2b1443b8 ebx=2099eb38 ecx=2099ec40 edx=304446c6 esi=00104cf6
    edi=00000000
    eip=03ae0f5c esp=072bebfc ebp=072bec4c iopl=0 nv up ei pl nz ac pe nc
    cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=0038 gs=0000 efl=00010216
    03ae0f5c 85050001a203 test dword ptr ds:[3A20100h],eax ds:
    0023:03a20100=????????

  3. Re: Firefox Hangs System Windows 2000 only on pages with Java

    Having exact same problem myself.
    Uninstall Java and FF2 and same problem.
    Hangs and then reboots when you inadvertently go to a java enabled
    webpage.
    Works fine with IE6 and Opera.

    Any ideas anybody?

    Thanks,
    Volvic

  4. Re: Firefox Hangs System Windows 2000 only on pages with Java

    this happens to me too, flash pages work fine, pdf displayed in
    Firefox works fine too.
    Have read the hangs/crashes document which didnt provide any specific
    info.
    same for the java doc, useful information but didnt give any clues.
    Is it W2k only or does this hapen to others OS's.
    I have same setup in work, ie w2k and firefox 2.0.0.6 and java pages
    load fine but at home same problem as outlined above, everything fine
    until you happen onto a java webpage then system stops responding and
    then reboots after 3/4 secs. No other apps open except for firefox.

  5. Re: Firefox Hangs System Windows 2000 only on pages with Java

    Hi,

    The third and fourth posts above are from different users.
    I have copied and pasted the discussion from Mozillazine as I
    didnt get any help there.

    I have since tried creating a new profile and testing and the same
    problem occours.

    I also tried starting Firefox in safe mode with all options on, ie
    disabled addons, default setting and bookmarks and again system
    crashes on trying to load java test page. The page itself appears and
    you can see text and the border etc but it stops loading when it get
    to the part of the page where the applet appears.

    After the hang and just before the reboot I can see the BSOD for a
    half second.

    Other than java pages Firefox works fine.

    Any assistance much appreciated,
    Bauer.

  6. Re: Firefox Hangs System Windows 2000 only on pages with Java

    Bauer wrote:
    > Having exact same problem myself.
    > Uninstall Java and FF2 and same problem.
    > Hangs and then reboots when you inadvertently go to a java enabled
    > webpage.
    > Works fine with IE6 and Opera.
    >
    > Any ideas anybody?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Volvic

    you seem to have a habit of answer and posting under assume
    names.

    That aside, close FF. Open the add/remove programs and see
    how many java listing do you have. If you see more than
    one, remove them ALL including the current one. Reboot.
    Now, reinstall the current version.

    Any results.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: Firefox Hangs System Windows 2000 only on pages with Java

    Bauer wrote:
    > Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.7.0005.1

    forget the window debugger. Instead, from FF, click on
    Tools, Error Console. Clear it. Now visit a java website,
    and look at the console. Report the info there.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Firefox Hangs System Windows 2000 only on pages with Java

    Hi Peter,

    Thanks for the reply.

    Only one listing for Java in Add/remove, namely 1.6 update 2.
    I uninstalled this and tried the test page in Firefox and the page
    loads fine,
    obviously without the applet. In its place was the usual plugin
    required message.

    I then restarted system and ran the Java install again, 1.6 update 2.
    Opened test page in Firefox and system crashes as before.

    Rebooted system to write this reply.
    Have cleared the error console and am now going to try java test
    again.
    Hopefully when system restarts some error codes will have been written
    to Error Console which I will update.

    I also clicked Java Console from Tools and this opens fine.

    Bauer.

  9. Re: Firefox Hangs System Windows 2000 only on pages with Java

    Ok I could see the error console just before it crashes but after
    reboot the error console is empty.

    >From the couple of seconds I get there was two different error

    messages
    Both start with www.java.com and then it said something about
    background colour and also parser.

    Ill try it again and see if I can get more.

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread