Firefox suddenly slow - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox suddenly slow - Mozilla ; About two days ago, Firefox (2.0.0.6) suddenly slowed to a crawl on my PC. Specifically, although it will load a page fairly quickly, it takes 5-10 seconds before I can do anything with the page -- such as enter info ...

  1. Firefox suddenly slow

    About two days ago, Firefox (2.0.0.6) suddenly slowed to a crawl on my
    PC. Specifically, although it will load a page fairly quickly, it
    takes 5-10 seconds before I can do anything with the page -- such as
    enter info into a form field or click a link. I have a relatively fast
    PC and plenty of RAM. Latest version of Trend Micro antivirus reports
    no malware. I ran a registry cleaner, that didn't help. I uninstalled
    all add-ons, that didn't help. I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox,
    that didn't help. IE7 works just fine. Any ideas? TIA!

  2. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    employmentguy@gmail.com wrote:
    > About two days ago, Firefox (2.0.0.6) suddenly slowed to a crawl on my
    > PC. Specifically, although it will load a page fairly quickly, it
    > takes 5-10 seconds before I can do anything with the page -- such as
    > enter info into a form field or click a link. I have a relatively fast
    > PC and plenty of RAM. Latest version of Trend Micro antivirus reports
    > no malware. I ran a registry cleaner, that didn't help. I uninstalled
    > all add-ons, that didn't help. I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox,
    > that didn't help. IE7 works just fine. Any ideas? TIA!

    Look in your profile for any duplicate files with numbers after the
    name, such as prefs-1.js, sessionstore-2.js, etc. Try clearing your
    cache. If that does not help, try this page:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_d..._%28Firefox%29

  3. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    > Look in your profile for any duplicate files with numbers after the
    > name, such as prefs-1.js, sessionstore-2.js, etc. Try clearing your
    > cache. If that does not help, try this page:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_d..._%28Firefox%29

    There were thousands! Deleting them solved the problem. Thank you!

  4. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    "employmentguy@gmail.com"
    >> Look in your profile for any duplicate files with numbers after the
    >> name, such as prefs-1.js, sessionstore-2.js, etc. Try clearing your
    >> cache. If that does not help, try this
    >> page:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_d..._%28Firefox%29

    > There were thousands! Deleting them solved the problem. Thank you!

    You might want to change your options on the extension creating them
    at Tools, Addons click on the extension to see if it has options.
    One such extension was SplitBrowser -- I don't let it store sessions.

  5. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    Hello to everyone.

    Today firefox crawled again, I tried to clear the cache and everything
    else but it's the same. IE works fine but firefox it's too slow! any
    idea!?

    I've checked with fasterfox and to open google it takes about 9
    seconds.

    thnx.

  6. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    Hello to everyone.

    Today firefox crawled again, I tried to clear the cache and everything
    else but it's the same. IE works fine but firefox it's too slow! any
    idea!?

    I've checked with fasterfox and to open google it takes about 9
    seconds.

    thnx.

  7. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    icertic@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello to everyone.
    >
    > Today firefox crawled again, I tried to clear the cache and everything
    > else but it's the same. IE works fine but firefox it's too slow! any
    > idea!?
    >
    > I've checked with fasterfox and to open google it takes about 9
    > seconds.
    >
    > thnx.

    close FF, then click on the windows start button, then run
    and enter:

    firefox.exe -safe-mode

    this will start FF in safe mode, which disables all
    extensions and themese. Does the problem continue? If so,
    then disable all the extensions, restart, and reenable them
    one at a time until you find the problem one. If not, then
    report back.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > icertic@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hello to everyone.
    >>
    >> Today firefox crawled again, I tried to clear the cache and everything
    >> else but it's the same. IE works fine but firefox it's too slow! any
    >> idea!?
    >>
    >> I've checked with fasterfox and to open google it takes about 9
    >> seconds.
    >>
    >> thnx.
    >>

    > close FF, then click on the windows start button, then run and enter:
    >
    > firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >
    > this will start FF in safe mode, which disables all extensions and
    > themese. Does the problem continue? If so, then disable all the
    > extensions, restart, and reenable them one at a time until you find the
    > problem one. If not, then report back.

    You mean if not, right? If safe mode fails to solve a problem, then an
    extension is not the cause of it.

  9. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    On 8/28/2007 12:56 PM, EE wrote:

    > You mean if not, right? If safe mode fails to solve a problem, then an
    > extension is not the cause of it.

    Almost always true. I have had cases where an extension had to be
    *uninstalled* to remove its problem effects. TBE (Tabbed Browser
    Extension) is an example I remember.

    --
    Irwin

  10. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    EE wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> icertic@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Hello to everyone.
    >>>
    >>> Today firefox crawled again, I tried to clear the cache and everything
    >>> else but it's the same. IE works fine but firefox it's too slow! any
    >>> idea!?
    >>>
    >>> I've checked with fasterfox and to open google it takes about 9
    >>> seconds.
    >>>
    >>> thnx.
    >>>

    >> close FF, then click on the windows start button, then run and enter:
    >>
    >> firefox.exe -safe-mode
    >>
    >> this will start FF in safe mode, which disables all extensions and
    >> themese. Does the problem continue? If so, then disable all the
    >> extensions, restart, and reenable them one at a time until you find the
    >> problem one. If not, then report back.
    >>

    > You mean if not, right? If safe mode fails to solve a problem, then an
    > extension is not the cause of it.

    crap!!!! You're right. It should read if the problem
    doesn't continue, then its either an extension or theme. If
    the problem does continue, then report back.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  11. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    icertic@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello to everyone.
    >
    > Today firefox crawled again, I tried to clear the cache and everything
    > else but it's the same. IE works fine but firefox it's too slow! any
    > idea!?
    >
    > I've checked with fasterfox and to open google it takes about 9
    > seconds.
    >
    > thnx.

    Fasterfox may be your problem, itself. It makes some sites very slow.
    What other extensions do you have loaded?

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  12. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    > icertic@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hello to everyone.
    >>
    >> Today firefox crawled again, I tried to clear the cache and everything
    >> else but it's the same. IE works fine but firefox it's too slow! any
    >> idea!?
    >>
    >> I've checked with fasterfox and to open google it takes about 9
    >> seconds.
    >>
    >> thnx.
    >>

    > Fasterfox may be your problem, itself. It makes some sites very slow.
    > What other extensions do you have loaded?

    Always worth looking at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
    those listed there are generally popular extensions and a frequent item is
    a failure to work nicely with particular settings or other extensions.
    Always
    worth the time to check out this page before installing an extension to be
    prepared.

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

  13. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    On 8/28/2007 3:11 PM icertic@gmail.com scribbled the following:

    > Today firefox crawled again, I tried to clear the cache and everything
    > else but it's the same. IE works fine but firefox it's too slow! any
    > idea!?

    I'm jumping in on this thread.... my daughter's laptop has a problem
    where IE won't stay active for more than a few seconds. In the meanwhile
    I suggested she grab the latest FIREFOX.

    After installing she reports that it runs slower than dial-up even
    though she is on a cable modem.

    While I've not had a problem, I thought just to add this in the mix.

    Enjoy!

    {charley}

  14. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    Charles Wootten wrote:
    > On 8/28/2007 3:11 PM icertic@gmail.com scribbled the following:
    >>
    >> Today firefox crawled again, I tried to clear the cache and everything
    >> else but it's the same. IE works fine but firefox it's too slow! any
    >> idea!?
    >>

    > I'm jumping in on this thread.... my daughter's laptop has a problem
    > where IE won't stay active for more than a few seconds. In the meanwhile
    > I suggested she grab the latest FIREFOX.
    >
    > After installing she reports that it runs slower than dial-up even
    > though she is on a cable modem.
    >
    > While I've not had a problem, I thought just to add this in the mix.
    >
    > Enjoy!
    >
    > {charley}

    It seems she has problems going well beyond what browser she is running.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  15. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    On 8/29/2007 6:56 PM Ron Hunter scribbled the following:
    > Charles Wootten wrote:
    >>
    >> After installing she reports that it runs slower than dial-up even
    >> though she is on a cable modem.
    >>

    > It seems she has problems going well beyond what browser she is running.

    Yes....but she reported that MSIE ran well in what she calls "truncated"
    mode, and then she tried FF in the same situation.

    We'll figure it out....The mess came from a virus, she said, that McAfee
    stopped and fixed. Well, she doesn't even have McAfee installed, so we
    are assuming that the AV was as a result of her ISP. My ISP offers
    "free" AV, but I don't take advantage of it.

    But, I'm starting to pull this thread off topic so I'll stop here

    {charley}

  16. Re: Firefox suddenly slow

    On 8/29/2007 6:56 PM Ron Hunter scribbled the following:

    > It seems she has problems going well beyond what browser she is running.

    Well, I was going to stop there in the last message, Ron, but noticed
    that you and she have the same ISP...(charter.net), so I told her to
    call their tech support.

    Now, I'll stop!

    {charley}

+ Reply to Thread