Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after I closeit) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after I closeit) - Mozilla ; Recently I am finding that just after closing FF, I get the "Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close" error message and the feedback agent opens. Often seems to be just after closing a video window (like the ...

  1. Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after I closeit)

    Recently I am finding that just after closing FF, I get the "Firefox has
    encountered a problem and needs to close" error message and the feedback
    agent opens.
    Often seems to be just after closing a video window (like the BBC News
    player - Media Player version) and another ordinary main window -
    closing each using the X Close button, usually video window first then
    the main window. Just after the final window has closed, up pops the
    error message. Happens at least once or twice a day.
    I've completed the feedback agent page each time.
    I'm using WinXP Home, with background Zone Alarm free, Norton AV,
    Counterspy 2.5 (pre release candidate beta), Mailwasher Pro, Skype,
    (with a VOIP phone addon) RealPopup (a home network messaging tool).
    this has only started happening since FF2 (I think).

    Extensions include NoScript, Adblock, with Filterset.G Updater,
    Bulgarian dictionary, DownThemAll!, Google Toolbar for Firefox, Html
    Validator, IE View Lite, LinkChecker, Remove Cookie(s) for Site, Skype
    extension for Firefox, Tabbrowser Preferences, Talkback, TinyUrlCreator,
    User Agent Switcher, and Yahoo! Photos Easy Upload Tool

    I'm not asking for troubleshooting tips, just wondering if anyone else
    is seeing this regularly? It's too irregular to make it worth
    experimenting with a clean profile although I might try that if it
    continues for much longer.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

  2. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after Iclose it)

    Hi Robert!

    Robert M Jones schrieb:
    > Recently I am finding that just after closing FF, I get the "Firefox has
    > encountered a problem and needs to close" error message and the feedback
    > agent opens.
    > Often seems to be just after closing a video window (like the BBC News
    > player - Media Player version) and another ordinary main window -
    > closing each using the X Close button, usually video window first then
    > the main window. Just after the final window has closed, up pops the
    > error message. Happens at least once or twice a day.
    > I've completed the feedback agent page each time.
    > I'm using WinXP Home, with background Zone Alarm free, Norton AV,
    > Counterspy 2.5 (pre release candidate beta), Mailwasher Pro, Skype,
    > (with a VOIP phone addon) RealPopup (a home network messaging tool).
    > this has only started happening since FF2 (I think).
    >
    > Extensions include NoScript, Adblock, with Filterset.G Updater,
    > Bulgarian dictionary, DownThemAll!, Google Toolbar for Firefox, Html
    > Validator, IE View Lite, LinkChecker, Remove Cookie(s) for Site, Skype
    > extension for Firefox, Tabbrowser Preferences, Talkback, TinyUrlCreator,
    > User Agent Switcher, and Yahoo! Photos Easy Upload Tool
    >
    > I'm not asking for troubleshooting tips, just wondering if anyone else
    > is seeing this regularly? It's too irregular to make it worth
    > experimenting with a clean profile although I might try that if it
    > continues for much longer.

    Similar here, not quite as often.
    Happens when trying to close the last tab.
    Using WIN98, no Norton, no Zone Alarm, using different Add Ons.

    Regards
    Manfred

  3. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after I close it)

    "Robert M Jones" ...
    > Recently I am finding that just after closing FF, I get the "Firefox has
    > encountered a problem and needs to close" error message and the feedback
    > agent opens.
    > Often seems to be just after closing a video window (like the BBC News
    > player - Media Player version) and another ordinary main window - closing
    > each using the X Close button, usually video window first then the main
    > window. Just after the final window has closed, up pops the error message.
    > Happens at least once or twice a day.
    > I've completed the feedback agent page each time.
    > I'm using WinXP Home, with background Zone Alarm free, Norton AV,
    > Counterspy 2.5 (pre release candidate beta), Mailwasher Pro, Skype, (with
    > a VOIP phone addon) RealPopup (a home network messaging tool). this has
    > only started happening since FF2 (I think).
    >
    > Extensions include NoScript, Adblock, with Filterset.G Updater, Bulgarian
    > dictionary, DownThemAll!, Google Toolbar for Firefox, Html Validator, IE
    > View Lite, LinkChecker, Remove Cookie(s) for Site, Skype extension for
    > Firefox, Tabbrowser Preferences, Talkback, TinyUrlCreator, User Agent
    > Switcher, and Yahoo! Photos Easy Upload Tool

    Close the final window with File, Exit not with the close window
    button.
    This has been mentioned time and time again in the newsgroups.

    You might also want to make sure that your plug-ins are up to date.

    Talkback reporting is not going to fix your problem in itself. It is mainly
    tool to provide statistical information of what problems are being
    experienced.
    against what is actually reported as a bug together with their own testing
    with
    traces.

    You say you don't want debugging suggestions, but you should include the
    entire text of the message in a Google web Search and a Google Groups
    search. But at least see if you still have the problem when closing FF
    properly
    with File, exit rather closing each of the windows with the [x] button.

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

  4. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after Iclose it)

    David McRitchie wrote:

    > Close the final window with File, Exit not with the close window
    > button.
    > This has been mentioned time and time again in the newsgroups.

    Point taken, but I think I'd call a program that couldn't close properly
    using the Close button, a program with a bug. And if it has mentioned
    time and time again in support newsgroups, I'd say it was a bug that
    ought to be fixed. But that's just me being a pain in the butt!

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

  5. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after Iclose it)

    Thunderbird Leader Robert M Jones teletyped, On 8/22/2007 11:56 AM:
    > David McRitchie wrote:
    >
    >> Close the final window with File, Exit not with the close
    >> window button.
    >> This has been mentioned time and time again in the newsgroups.

    > Point taken, but I think I'd call a program that couldn't close
    > properly using the Close button, a program with a bug. And if it has
    > mentioned time and time again in support newsgroups, I'd say it was a
    > bug that ought to be fixed. But that's just me being a pain in the butt!

    The problem with this bug is the lack of repeatability that will enable
    a developer to capture the event in a debug version of Tb. If you have a
    case where You can trigger the bug reliably with a specific action taken
    before clicking the X window close, the developers can take another look
    at this.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  6. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after Iclose it)

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Thunderbird Leader Robert M Jones teletyped, On 8/22/2007 11:56 AM:
    >> David McRitchie wrote:
    >>
    >>> Close the final window with File, Exit not with the close
    >>> window button.
    >>> This has been mentioned time and time again in the newsgroups.

    >> Point taken, but I think I'd call a program that couldn't close
    >> properly using the Close button, a program with a bug. And if it has
    >> mentioned time and time again in support newsgroups, I'd say it was a
    >> bug that ought to be fixed. But that's just me being a pain in the butt!

    > The problem with this bug is the lack of repeatability that will enable
    > a developer to capture the event in a debug version of Tb. If you have a
    > case where You can trigger the bug reliably with a specific action taken
    > before clicking the X window close, the developers can take another look
    > at this.

    Thanks. I've investigated with a clean profile and with Safe Mode and I
    can't reproduce the problem.

    But with my set up as indicated in the OP, I can reliably reproduce it
    by opening
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    then opening a video such as
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...&nbram=1&asb=1
    using the BBC News Player (Media Player version)
    then closing the video player with the X button (the only option available)
    and then closing the main window with the X button OR File - Exit.
    It doesn't matter how I close the main window, whether with the X button
    OR File-Exit - it still produces the "sorry Firefox needs to close"
    error window, and the Talkback process.

    so obviously its something to do with one of my extensions - I'll
    investigate further if I've time and disable them all and then
    reactivate one by one.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

  7. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after Iclose it)

    Robert M Jones wrote:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Thunderbird Leader Robert M Jones teletyped, On 8/22/2007 11:56 AM:

    >>> Point taken, but I think I'd call a program that couldn't close
    >>> properly using the Close button, a program with a bug. And if it has
    >>> mentioned time and time again in support newsgroups, I'd say it was a
    >>> bug that ought to be fixed. But that's just me being a pain in the butt!

    >> The problem with this bug is the lack of repeatability that will
    >> enable a developer to capture the event in a debug version of Tb. If
    >> you have a case where You can trigger the bug reliably with a specific
    >> action taken before clicking the X window close, the developers can
    >> take another look at this.
    >>

    > Thanks. I've investigated with a clean profile and with Safe Mode and I
    > can't reproduce the problem.
    >
    > But with my set up as indicated in the OP, I can reliably reproduce it
    > by opening
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    > then opening a video such as
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...&nbram=1&asb=1
    >
    > using the BBC News Player (Media Player version)
    > then closing the video player with the X button (the only option available)
    > and then closing the main window with the X button OR File - Exit.
    > It doesn't matter how I close the main window, whether with the X button
    > OR File-Exit - it still produces the "sorry Firefox needs to close"
    > error window, and the Talkback process.
    >
    > so obviously its something to do with one of my extensions - I'll
    > investigate further if I've time and disable them all and then
    > reactivate one by one.

    Gotcha! It's Google Toolbar for Firefox that reliably repeatably causes
    that behaviour. I've disabled all extensions, then added them back one
    by one - and re-enabling google toolbar re-introduced the problem. I've
    then enabled all of them except Google Toolbar and no problem. Then
    adding Google Toolbar re-introduces the problem.

    Where do I report that please? (Somewhere user-friendly please -
    bugzilla scares the pants off me)

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

  8. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after I close it)

    "Robert M Jones" wrote...
    >so obviously its something to do with one of my extensions - I'll
    >investigate further if I've time and disable them all and then reactivate
    >one by one.

    The difference between the two is that File, exit has the operating
    system close the application so it closes all the children application
    and is something that especially applies to plug-ins which is what
    your videos are. I had thought that this applied only to Windows
    since Microsoft has stated that as the manner to close any application
    but from one of the most recent threads (well hardly been around for
    last 20 days) it applies to all operating systems including Mac and Linux
    although in reference to Mac it was also pointed out that the arrangement
    of open tasks makes it unlikely that one would close in another manner.

    This is not the thread I was referring to but it has some similarities
    at least in checking if Firefox is actually closed.
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...945--HTH,David McRitchie,Firefox Custom: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

  9. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after Iclose it)

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Robert M Jones" wrote...
    >> so obviously its something to do with one of my extensions - I'll
    >> investigate further if I've time and disable them all and then
    >> reactivate one by one.

    > The difference between the two is that File, exit has the operating
    > system close the application so it closes all the children application
    > and is something that especially applies to plug-ins which is what
    > your videos are. I had thought that this applied only to Windows
    > since Microsoft has stated that as the manner to close any application
    > but from one of the most recent threads (well hardly been around for
    > last 20 days) it applies to all operating systems including Mac and Linux
    > although in reference to Mac it was also pointed out that the arrangement
    > of open tasks makes it unlikely that one would close in another manner.
    >
    > This is not the thread I was referring to but it has some similarities
    > at least in checking if Firefox is actually closed.
    > http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...945--HTH,David
    > McRitchie,Firefox Custom:
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    thanks for that. In my case it doesn't seem to make any difference at
    all what method I use to close either the video window or the final
    window. If I use the Close link in the video window and the File-Exit,
    in the main window, it still produces the error.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

  10. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after I close it)

    "Robert M Jones"
    > thanks for that. In my case it doesn't seem to make any difference at all
    > what method I use to close either the video window or the final window. If
    > I use the Close link in the video window and the File-Exit, in the main
    > window, it still produces the error.

    Kind of like beating a dead horse, since you solved your specific problem
    based
    on your reply.
    Gotcha! It's Google Toolbar for Firefox that reliably repeatably causes
    that behaviour.

    which just goes to show that crapware is crap, and the fact that the Google
    Toolbar messes up Firefox has been mentioned repeatedly as well, including
    in my first reply. Simply don't install crapware where you have to read
    the
    fine print to maintain control of your system. You possibly obtained
    Firefox
    from Google as well instead of from mozilla.org, which is also a big
    mistake.
    The Google toolbar is not Firefox, my guess is that it already is reported
    in
    bugzilla, but it is not likely to be Mozilla Firefox that has to or can fix
    the
    problem -- it is Google's toolbar, complete with spyware (record
    statistics),
    matching every search you do to your name, address, phone number,
    credit card numbers, if they wish or if they don't already. If they don't
    they
    probably have a subsidiary or partner for legal purposes that does just that

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

    READ CAREFULLY. By [accepting this material|accepting this payment|accepting
    this business-card|viewing this t-shirt|reading this sticker] you agree, on
    behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers
    arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses,
    terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality,
    non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS")
    that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents
    and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
    privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me
    from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer. [
    http://smallprint.netzoo.net/reag/ ]

  11. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after Iclose it)

    Thunderbird Leader Robert M Jones teletyped, On 8/22/2007 1:08 PM:
    > Robert M Jones wrote:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> Thunderbird Leader Robert M Jones teletyped, On 8/22/2007 11:56 AM:

    >>> The problem with this bug is the lack of repeatability that will
    >>> enable a developer to capture the event in a debug version of Tb. If
    >>> you have a case where You can trigger the bug reliably with a
    >>> specific action taken before clicking the X window close, the
    >>> developers can take another look at this.
    >>>

    >> Thanks. I've investigated with a clean profile and with Safe Mode and
    >> I can't reproduce the problem.
    >>
    >> But with my set up as indicated in the OP, I can reliably reproduce
    >> it by opening
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    >> then opening a video such as
    >> http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/c...&nbram=1&asb=1
    >>
    >> using the BBC News Player (Media Player version)
    >> then closing the video player with the X button (the only option
    >> available)
    >> and then closing the main window with the X button OR File - Exit.
    >> It doesn't matter how I close the main window, whether with the X
    >> button OR File-Exit - it still produces the "sorry Firefox needs to
    >> close" error window, and the Talkback process.
    >>
    >> so obviously its something to do with one of my extensions - I'll
    >> investigate further if I've time and disable them all and then
    >> reactivate one by one.
    >>

    > Gotcha! It's Google Toolbar for Firefox that reliably repeatably
    > causes that behaviour. I've disabled all extensions, then added them
    > back one by one - and re-enabling google toolbar re-introduced the
    > problem. I've then enabled all of them except Google Toolbar and no
    > problem. Then adding Google Toolbar re-introduces the problem.
    >
    > Where do I report that please? (Somewhere user-friendly please -
    > bugzilla scares the pants off me)

    Google, since it is their software that caused your problem.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted,

  12. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after Iclose it)

    David McRitchie wrote:
    You possibly obtained
    > Firefox
    > from Google as well instead of from mozilla.org, which is also a big
    > mistake.

    Just one correction - don't make assumptions about where I got Firefox.
    I got it from Mozilla.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

  13. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after Iclose it)

    Ron K. wrote:

    >> Gotcha! It's Google Toolbar for Firefox that reliably repeatably
    >> causes that behaviour. I've disabled all extensions, then added them
    >> back one by one - and re-enabling google toolbar re-introduced the
    >> problem. I've then enabled all of them except Google Toolbar and no
    >> problem. Then adding Google Toolbar re-introduces the problem.
    >>
    >> Where do I report that please? (Somewhere user-friendly please -
    >> bugzilla scares the pants off me)
    >>

    > Google, since it is their software that caused your problem.

    that's not necessarily so. The problem is caused by the interaction of
    Firefox and Google Toolbar. Which one is primarily responsible, would
    take further investigation. I've had the toolbar for longer than the
    problem has existed. So maybe it was the google toolbar that changed or
    maybe it was Firefox that changed. For example, many perfectly good
    extensions become problematic after a Firefox update. Whose "fault" is
    that? The extension for not working with the new Firefox or Firefox for
    changing?

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

  14. Re: Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close (after Iclose it)

    David McRitchie wrote:
    >the fact that the Google
    > Toolbar messes up Firefox has been mentioned repeatedly as well, including
    > in my first reply.

    I've looked hard at your first reply 13.31 22nd August, even reading
    between the lines, and I can't see where you said that. Did I miss
    something? Here it is:
    > Close the final window with File, Exit not with the close window button.
    > This has been mentioned time and time again in the newsgroups.
    >
    > You might also want to make sure that your plug-ins are up to date.
    >
    > Talkback reporting is not going to fix your problem in itself. It is mainly a
    > tool to provide statistical information of what problems are being experienced.
    > against what is actually reported as a bug together with their own testing with
    > traces.
    >
    > You say you don't want debugging suggestions, but you should include the
    > entire text of the message in a Google web Search and a Google Groups
    > search. But at least see if you still have the problem when closing FF properly
    > with File, exit rather closing each of the windows with the [x] button.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

+ Reply to Thread