Start Page problem - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Start Page problem - Mozilla ; I have been using Mozilla Firefox for several years as my browser ( I LOVE it, by the way). I use a "My Yahoo" page for my start page. This was never a problem until I recently downloaded Firefox 2.0.0.6. ...

  1. Start Page problem

    I have been using Mozilla Firefox for several years as my browser ( I LOVE
    it, by the way). I use a "My Yahoo" page for my start page. This was never a
    problem until I recently downloaded Firefox 2.0.0.6. Mozilla still
    recognizes My Yahoo as the default start page, but I am now kicked back to
    the Yahoo Login Page rather than having getting my personalized page
    automatically.

    To my knowledge, I didn't change anything in my settings when I started
    using the new Firefox version.

    Is this a quirk with Firefox, with My Yahoo, or am I just missing something
    really obvious??

    Oh, I did add-on the following:

    DownThemAll! (0.9.9.10),

    Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronozer (1.0.1),

    Gmail Notifier (0.6.1),

    VideoDownloader (1.1.1), and

    Media Pirate (2.3)

    TIA,

    Stan

  2. Re: Start Page problem

    sasthomas@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > I have been using Mozilla Firefox for several years as my browser ( I LOVE
    > it, by the way). I use a "My Yahoo" page for my start page. This was never a
    > problem until I recently downloaded Firefox 2.0.0.6. Mozilla still
    > recognizes My Yahoo as the default start page, but I am now kicked back to
    > the Yahoo Login Page rather than having getting my personalized page
    > automatically.
    >

    > To my knowledge, I didn't change anything in my settings when I started
    > using the new Firefox version.
    >

    > Is this a quirk with Firefox, with My Yahoo, or am I just missing something
    > really obvious??

    It could be as simple as an expired login cookie. (Cookies have a finite
    "validity period" which can be a few minutes, until you close your browser, a
    month, a year, but never forever. The site needs a cookie to know "who" you
    are without the need to login.)

    Make sure you have cookies enabled when you log in, and if the Yahoo login
    page has a "Remember me" checkbox, make sure that it's checked. Then log in,

    Also, make sure that, under the "Privacy" preferences, when you click the
    "Settings" button, Cookies are _not_ included in the Private Data that the
    browser may automatically clear.

    > Oh, I did add-on the following:
    >

    > DownThemAll! (0.9.9.10),
    >
    > Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronozer (1.0.1),
    >
    > Gmail Notifier (0.6.1),
    >
    > VideoDownloader (1.1.1), and
    >
    > Media Pirate (2.3)
    >

    > TIA,
    >

    > Stan

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    7:30, Channel 5: The Bionic Dog (Action/Adventure)
    The Bionic Dog gets a hormonal short-circuit and violates the

  3. Re: Start Page problem

    Tony,

    Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, my problem doesn't fall into one of
    the fixes mentioned. I have Firefox set to keep all cookies until they
    expire (in the case of My Yahoo, it is showing an expiration of 2037). I
    also keep the "clear cookies" unchecked in the privacy tab.

    It could be something that Yahoo has changed on their end, but since it
    started the same day that I loaded the new Firefox, it seemed like a little
    more athan just a coincidence.

    Oh well. It's nothing I can't learn to live with; it's just a little
    aggrevating to have to log back in every time!

    Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my question.

    Stan

    "Tony Mechelynck" wrote in message
    news:8rOdnW0kG6RG_1fbnZ2dnUVZ_uCinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > sasthomas@bellsouth.net wrote:
    >> I have been using Mozilla Firefox for several years as my browser ( I
    >> LOVE it, by the way). I use a "My Yahoo" page for my start page. This was
    >> never a problem until I recently downloaded Firefox 2.0.0.6. Mozilla
    >> still recognizes My Yahoo as the default start page, but I am now kicked
    >> back to the Yahoo Login Page rather than having getting my personalized
    >> page automatically.
    >>

    >> To my knowledge, I didn't change anything in my settings when I started
    >> using the new Firefox version.
    >>

    >> Is this a quirk with Firefox, with My Yahoo, or am I just missing
    >> something really obvious??

    > It could be as simple as an expired login cookie. (Cookies have a finite
    > "validity period" which can be a few minutes, until you close your
    > browser, a month, a year, but never forever. The site needs a cookie to
    > know "who" you are without the need to login.)
    >
    > Make sure you have cookies enabled when you log in, and if the Yahoo login
    > page has a "Remember me" checkbox, make sure that it's checked. Then log
    > in, go back to "My Yahoo", and set your browser homepage to the current
    > page again.
    >
    > Also, make sure that, under the "Privacy" preferences, when you click the
    > "Settings" button, Cookies are _not_ included in the Private Data that the
    > browser may automatically clear.
    >

    >> Oh, I did add-on the following:
    >>

    >> DownThemAll! (0.9.9.10),
    >>
    >> Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronozer (1.0.1),
    >>
    >> Gmail Notifier (0.6.1),
    >>
    >> VideoDownloader (1.1.1), and
    >>
    >> Media Pirate (2.3)
    >>

    >> TIA,
    >>

    >> Stan
    >>

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.
    > --
    > 7:30, Channel 5: The Bionic Dog (Action/Adventure)
    > The Bionic Dog gets a hormonal short-circuit and violates the
    > Mann Act with an interstate Greyhound bus.

  4. Re: Start Page problem

    sasthomas@bellsouth.net wrote:
    > Tony,
    >
    > Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, my problem doesn't fall into one of
    > the fixes mentioned. I have Firefox set to keep all cookies until they
    > expire (in the case of My Yahoo, it is showing an expiration of 2037). I
    > also keep the "clear cookies" unchecked in the privacy tab.
    >
    > It could be something that Yahoo has changed on their end, but since it
    > started the same day that I loaded the new Firefox, it seemed like a little
    > more athan just a coincidence.
    >
    > Oh well. It's nothing I can't learn to live with; it's just a little
    > aggrevating to have to log back in every time!

    Some software (including the version of Bugzilla before the current one) will
    invalidate your login cookie every time your IP address changes. If you are on
    a dynamically-addressed connection, every time you reconnect your modem you
    get a new IP address. This, however, would equally affect any software you
    might be using. If it works with IE, then it should be something else.

    > Thanks for taking the time to read and respond to my question.
    >
    > Stan

    My pleasure.

    Best regards,
    Tony.

    > "Tony Mechelynck" wrote in message
    > news:8rOdnW0kG6RG_1fbnZ2dnUVZ_uCinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> sasthomas@bellsouth.net wrote:
    >>> I have been using Mozilla Firefox for several years as my browser ( I
    >>> LOVE it, by the way). I use a "My Yahoo" page for my start page. This was
    >>> never a problem until I recently downloaded Firefox 2.0.0.6. Mozilla
    >>> still recognizes My Yahoo as the default start page, but I am now kicked
    >>> back to the Yahoo Login Page rather than having getting my personalized
    >>> page automatically.
    >>>

    >>> To my knowledge, I didn't change anything in my settings when I started
    >>> using the new Firefox version.
    >>>

    >>> Is this a quirk with Firefox, with My Yahoo, or am I just missing
    >>> something really obvious??

    >> It could be as simple as an expired login cookie. (Cookies have a finite
    >> "validity period" which can be a few minutes, until you close your
    >> browser, a month, a year, but never forever. The site needs a cookie to
    >> know "who" you are without the need to login.)
    >>
    >> Make sure you have cookies enabled when you log in, and if the Yahoo login
    >> page has a "Remember me" checkbox, make sure that it's checked. Then log
    >> in, go back to "My Yahoo", and set your browser homepage to the current
    >> page again.
    >>
    >> Also, make sure that, under the "Privacy" preferences, when you click the
    >> "Settings" button, Cookies are _not_ included in the Private Data that the
    >> browser may automatically clear.
    >>

    >>> Oh, I did add-on the following:
    >>>

    >>> DownThemAll! (0.9.9.10),
    >>>
    >>> Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronozer (1.0.1),
    >>>
    >>> Gmail Notifier (0.6.1),
    >>>
    >>> VideoDownloader (1.1.1), and
    >>>
    >>> Media Pirate (2.3)
    >>>

    >>> TIA,
    >>>

    >>> Stan
    >>>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.
    >> --
    >> 7:30, Channel 5: The Bionic Dog (Action/Adventure)
    >> The Bionic Dog gets a hormonal short-circuit and violates the
    >> Mann Act with an interstate Greyhound bus.

+ Reply to Thread