Saving Files in Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Saving Files in Firefox - Mozilla ; I was wondering how come the checkbox to always remember my choice as to what action is performed when downloading a file from the internet is *greyed out* when a default action is set, such as when downloading archives....

  1. Saving Files in Firefox

    I was wondering how come the checkbox to always remember my choice as to
    what action is performed when downloading a file from the internet is
    *greyed out* when a default action is set, such as when downloading
    archives.

  2. Re: Saving Files in Firefox

    "The Pied Piper" ...
    >I was wondering how come the checkbox to always remember my choice as to
    > what action is performed when downloading a file from the internet is
    > *greyed out* when a default action is set, such as when downloading
    > archives.

    What url and what are you doing that gets the undesired dialog choices.

    Even though the checkbox looks grayed out, did you try checking the
    box you wanted anyway.

    Did you install any extension that includes the word download or something
    similar in the name.

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

  3. Re: Saving Files in Firefox

    "The Pied Piper" wrote in message
    news:Lv6dneP1LKr481bbnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > David McRitchie wrote:
    >>
    >> "The Pied Piper" ...
    >>> I was wondering how come the checkbox to always remember my choice as to
    >>> what action is performed when downloading a file from the internet is
    >>> *greyed out* when a default action is set, such as when downloading
    >>> archives.

    >> What url and what are you doing that gets the undesired dialog choices.
    >>
    >> Even though the checkbox looks grayed out, did you try checking the
    >> box you wanted anyway.
    >>
    >> Did you install any extension that includes the word download or
    >> something
    >> similar in the name.

    > It happens when I have archival programs in use which are set to default
    > applications for particular file types.

    You already said that, I don't know what you mean by archival programs and
    you
    did not give a url.

  4. Re: Saving Files in Firefox

    "The Pied Piper" wrote in message
    news:BfidnWWeXJbkU1bbnZ2dnUVZ_jednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > David McRitchie wrote:
    >> "The Pied Piper" wrote in message
    >> news:Lv6dneP1LKr481bbnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> It happens when I have archival programs in use which are set to default
    >>> applications for particular file types.

    >> You already said that, I don't know what you mean by archival programs
    >> and you
    >> did not give a url.

    > Sorry,
    >
    > Whenever I have winrar installed and I try to download an archive I only
    > get the option to open the file and not save, unless I uninstall the
    > program so I don't understand why the greyed out option is not there
    > regardless.

    I had to do a Google search to find out what WinRar was and the

    WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files
    WinRAR Vista Ultimate theme by AmEagle. Download: version with 48x48 toolbar
    icons version with 64x64 toolbar icons version with 80x80 toolbar icons
    www.rarlab.com/themes.htm

    Looks like the current version is 3.70 which you must be at at least that
    version to be compatible with Vista. Announcement May 30, 2007
    http://www.win-rar.com/481.html

    It would seem you are on Vista and you should make sure that you are on the
    latest
    version, then I'd try checking their site, newsgroups, and forums
    pertaining to that
    software, where you are more likely to get an answer to your question.
    I see it is shareware.

    You might check out UltimateZip which is now shareware to companies, but is
    still
    Freeware for private (home) use. http://www.ultimatezip.com/download.htm
    I've not installed it on Vista yet (just a few days on Vista) as Vista will
    do extractions
    and decompressions.

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

  5. Re: Saving Files in Firefox

    "The Pied Piper" wrote in message
    news:BfidnWWeXJbkU1bbnZ2dnUVZ_jednZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > David McRitchie wrote:
    >> "The Pied Piper" wrote in message
    >> news:Lv6dneP1LKr481bbnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    >>> It happens when I have archival programs in use which are set to default
    >>> applications for particular file types.

    >> You already said that, I don't know what you mean by archival programs
    >> and you
    >> did not give a url.

    > Sorry,
    >
    > Whenever I have winrar installed and I try to download an archive I only
    > get the option to open the file and not save, unless I uninstall the
    > program so I don't understand why the grayed out option is not there
    > regardless.

    I had to do a Google search to find out what WinRar was and the

    WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files
    WinRAR Vista Ultimate theme by AmEagle. Download: version with 48x48 toolbar
    icons version with 64x64 toolbar icons version with 80x80 toolbar icons
    www.rarlab.com/themes.htm

    Looks like the current version is 3.70 which you must be at at least that
    version to be compatible with Vista. Announcement May 30, 2007
    http://www.win-rar.com/481.html

    It would seem you are on Vista and you should make sure that you are on the
    latest version, then I'd try checking their site, newsgroups, and forums
    pertaining to that software, where you are more likely to get an answer to
    your
    question -- even if Firefox is somehow involved. I see it is shareware.

    You might check out UltimateZip which is now shareware to companies, but is
    still Freeware for private (home) use.
    http://www.ultimatezip.com/download.htm
    I've not installed it on Vista yet (just a few days on Vista) as Vista will
    do extractions to a folder.
    and decompressions.

    --
    HTH,
    David McRitchie,

  6. Re: Saving Files in Firefox

    David McRitchie wrote:

    > "The Pied Piper" ...
    >> I was wondering how come the checkbox to always remember my choice as
    >> to what action is performed when downloading a file from the internet
    >> is *greyed out* when a default action is set, such as when downloading
    >> archives.

    > What url and what are you doing that gets the undesired dialog choices.
    >
    > Even though the checkbox looks grayed out, did you try checking the
    > box you wanted anyway.
    >
    > Did you install any extension that includes the word download or something
    > similar in the name.
    > --
    > HTH,
    > David McRitchie,
    > Firefox Custom: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    Hello,

    It happens when I have archival programs in use which are set to default
    applications for particular file types.

    Thanks

  7. Re: Saving Files in Firefox

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "The Pied Piper" wrote in message
    > news:Lv6dneP1LKr481bbnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> David McRitchie wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "The Pied Piper" ...
    >>>
    >>> What url and what are you doing that gets the undesired dialog choices.
    >>>
    >>> Even though the checkbox looks grayed out, did you try checking the
    >>> box you wanted anyway.
    >>>
    >>> Did you install any extension that includes the word download or
    >>> something
    >>> similar in the name.

    >> It happens when I have archival programs in use which are set to
    >> default applications for particular file types.

    > You already said that, I don't know what you mean by archival programs
    > and you
    > did not give a url.

    Sorry,

    Whenever I have winrar installed and I try to download an archive I only
    get the option to open the file and not save, unless I uninstall the
    program so I don't understand why the greyed out option is not there
    regardless.

  8. Re: Saving Files in Firefox

    >>> You already said that, I don't know what you mean by archival programs
    >>> and you
    >>> did not give a url.

    >> Sorry,
    >>
    >> Whenever I have winrar installed and I try to download an archive I only
    >> get the option to open the file and not save, unless I uninstall the
    >> program so I don't understand why the grayed out option is not there
    >> regardless.

    > I had to do a Google search to find out what WinRar was and the
    >
    > WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files
    > WinRAR Vista Ultimate theme by AmEagle. Download: version with 48x48
    > toolbar
    > icons version with 64x64 toolbar icons version with 80x80 toolbar icons
    > www.rarlab.com/themes.htm
    >
    > Looks like the current version is 3.70 which you must be at at least that
    > version to be compatible with Vista. Announcement May 30, 2007
    > http://www.win-rar.com/481.html
    >
    > It would seem you are on Vista and you should make sure that you are on the
    > latest version, then I'd try checking their site, newsgroups, and forums
    > pertaining to that software, where you are more likely to get an answer
    > to your
    > question -- even if Firefox is somehow involved. I see it is shareware.
    >
    > You might check out UltimateZip which is now shareware to companies, but is
    > still Freeware for private (home) use.
    > http://www.ultimatezip.com/download.htm
    > I've not installed it on Vista yet (just a few days on Vista) as Vista will
    > do extractions to a folder.
    > and decompressions.
    >
    > --
    > HTH,
    > David McRitchie,
    > Firefox Custom: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    I had a look at ultimatezip and it appears good but mainly only for zip
    files and in this case I need RAR support. I also tried 7-zip which I
    think is very good but it doesn't associate itself with files in the
    same way that WinRar does so of course I am wondering why FF can't just
    fix itself.

+ Reply to Thread