PowerPoint launches IE instead of Firefox for local URL - Mozilla

This is a discussion on PowerPoint launches IE instead of Firefox for local URL - Mozilla ; Hyperlinks in PowerPoint to local Web pages launch Internet Explorer. Everything else seems to work, launching Firefox as expected when clicking on:: Regular hyperlinks to pages on the Web Regular hyperlinks to local Web pages Hyperlinks in PowerPoint to pages ...

  1. PowerPoint launches IE instead of Firefox for local URL

    Hyperlinks in PowerPoint to local Web pages launch Internet Explorer.
    Everything else seems to work, launching Firefox as expected when clicking
    on::

    Regular hyperlinks to pages on the Web
    Regular hyperlinks to local Web pages
    Hyperlinks in PowerPoint to pages on the Web

    The affected system has Firefox 2.0.0.6 and PowerPoint 2003 on Vista.
    Another syatem with Firefox 2.0.0.5 and PowerPoint 2007 on Windows XP works
    properly, launching Firefox in all 4 situations listed above. On both
    computers the fix for the Firefox shortcut problem has been applied via the
    first registry editing method described at
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_er...file_-_Firefox.

    Does anyone know what what could be going wrong and how to fix it?

  2. Re: PowerPoint launches IE instead of Firefox for local URL

    Mickey Segal wrote:
    > Hyperlinks in PowerPoint to local Web pages launch Internet Explorer.
    > Everything else seems to work, launching Firefox as expected when clicking
    > on::
    >
    > Regular hyperlinks to pages on the Web
    > Regular hyperlinks to local Web pages
    > Hyperlinks in PowerPoint to pages on the Web
    >
    > The affected system has Firefox 2.0.0.6 and PowerPoint 2003 on Vista.
    > Another syatem with Firefox 2.0.0.5 and PowerPoint 2007 on Windows XP works
    > properly, launching Firefox in all 4 situations listed above. On both
    > computers the fix for the Firefox shortcut problem has been applied via the
    > first registry editing method described at
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_er...file_-_Firefox.
    >
    > Does anyone know what what could be going wrong and how to fix it?

    it might be hard coded in PP to open IE. Several other
    sofware programs do the same thing. Now matter what you do,
    it still opens IE.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: PowerPoint launches IE instead of Firefox for local URL

    "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
    wrote in message news:VfmdnRrFgo9tUlTbnZ2dnUVZ_qTinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > it might be hard coded in PP to open IE. Several other sofware programs
    > do the same thing. Now matter what you do, it still opens IE.

    As of May 2007, PowerPoint 2003 local URLs used to open Firefox, even under
    Vista. Something changed, and I don't know if it is an update to Firefox,
    update to Vista, or just something going wrong.

+ Reply to Thread