Windows, Firefox and Textboxes (also text cursor on static content) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Windows, Firefox and Textboxes (also text cursor on static content) - Mozilla ; I have Windows XP Home, latest version of Firefox and textboxes have started misbehaving. How to reproduce: 1. Load page with single line textboxes http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/c...wwwnewword.cgi 2. Click in a textbox 3. Start typing or paste text. The text cursor is ...

  1. Windows, Firefox and Textboxes (also text cursor on static content)

    I have Windows XP Home, latest version of Firefox and
    textboxes have started misbehaving.

    How to reproduce:

    1. Load page with single line textboxes
    http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/c...wwwnewword.cgi
    2. Click in a textbox
    3. Start typing or paste text.
    The text cursor is still displayed flashing in the normal place
    but whatever you type nothing appears on screen.

    Reproducibility:
    Not frequent (maybe one time in 30 or less) no text will appear.
    (This is still enough to be very annoying ;-)

    Workaround:

    Click again on the textbox and type/paste again.

    Second symptom.

    It is now possible to have a text cursor ( | style)
    flashing on non-editable text.

    It should be possible to select blocks of static-text by
    clicking and dragging the mouse but not to have a text-
    cursor in static text with no text selected.
    That's still how it is for programs other than Firefox
    but in Firefox

    How to reproduce:

    1. Click on static text in a page.
    2. Flashing text cursor appears at that point.

    Reproducibility:
    100%, every time.

    My hypothesis is that the second problem described above
    is actually the cause of the first. (For example when
    textboxes don't work it is because you have not actually
    selected the text area of the textbox but a non-editable
    portion of the textbox object).

    Any suggestions for a cure?

  2. Re: Windows, Firefox and Textboxes (also text cursor on static content)

    Response from Paul :

    > 1. Load page with single line textboxes
    > http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/c...wwwnewword.cgi
    > 2. Click in a textbox
    > 3. Start typing or paste text.
    > The text cursor is still displayed flashing in the normal place
    > but whatever you type nothing appears on screen.

    I'm not *totally* sure if this is the same problem, but I run into
    problems sometimes where all of a sudden Firefox does the above.

    I open about:config and toggle:

    accessibility.typeaheadfind

    ....and Firefox behaves normally. Sometimes this is not enough and I have
    to restart the browser.

    > It is now possible to have a text cursor ( | style)
    > flashing on non-editable text.

    What is the current state of these two configuration entries at the time
    of your "problem?":

    accessibility.browsewithcaret
    accessibility.warn_on_browsewithcaret

    --
    -Lost
    kidding. No I am not.

  3. Re: Windows, Firefox and Textboxes (also text cursor on static content)

    -Lost wrote:
    > Response from Paul :
    >
    >> 1. Load page with single line textboxes
    >> http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/c...wwwnewword.cgi
    >> 2. Click in a textbox
    >> 3. Start typing or paste text.
    >> The text cursor is still displayed flashing in the normal place
    >> but whatever you type nothing appears on screen.

    > I'm not *totally* sure if this is the same problem, but I run into
    > problems sometimes where all of a sudden Firefox does the above.
    >
    > I open about:config and toggle:
    >
    > accessibility.typeaheadfind
    >
    > ...and Firefox behaves normally. Sometimes this is not enough and I have
    > to restart the browser.
    >
    >> It is now possible to have a text cursor ( | style)
    >> flashing on non-editable text.

    > What is the current state of these two configuration entries at the time
    > of your "problem?":
    >
    > accessibility.browsewithcaret
    > accessibility.warn_on_browsewithcaret

    Er, well I have to admit that I got lost at "about:config"
    but I _did_ find that I had "Always use cursor keys to navigate within
    pages" set. I certainly hadn't intentionally set that so I guess it
    a) turned itself on during an update or b) I accidentally hit a
    short-cut key of some sort. I use the Japanese IME so I do use a lot
    of functionkeys / weird key combinations so that could be possible.

    That fixed the text cursor, I'll have to see whether the textbox
    behaviour has improved or not.

  4. Re: Windows, Firefox and Textboxes (also text cursor on static content)

    Paul wrote:
    > Er, well I have to admit that I got lost at "about:config"

    I'm an idiot. I had stuck "about:config" in the _search box_
    when I meant to put it in the _address bar_.

+ Reply to Thread