No more extensions - Mozilla

This is a discussion on No more extensions - Mozilla ; I have updated my Firefox to the new one and ALL of my extensions, add- ons and toolbars won't reinstall and it tells me they will be reintalled when I restart Firefox. I have restarted FF several times and went ...

  1. No more extensions

    I have updated my Firefox to the new one and ALL of my extensions, add-
    ons and toolbars won't reinstall and it tells me they will be
    reintalled when I restart Firefox. I have restarted FF several times
    and went as far as rebooting my system. Does any one have any
    suggestions to get them all back.

  2. Re: No more extensions

    kender42@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have updated my Firefox to the new one and ALL of my extensions, add-
    > ons and toolbars won't reinstall and it tells me they will be
    > reintalled when I restart Firefox. I have restarted FF several times
    > and went as far as rebooting my system. Does any one have any
    > suggestions to get them all back.

    It could be that they don't declare themselves as compatible with the new
    version. There are several possibilities:

    - Some extensions may be compatible and not "know" it. These can be made to
    work again by disregarding the compatibility check, as follows:
    1. type about:config in the URL bar and hit Enter.
    2. Locate the preference named extensions.checkCompatibility (the
    preferences are in alphabetical order, but filtering on "compat", without the
    quotes, may make it easier to find).
    3. Make sure that this preference is set to false: if it is set to true,
    double-click to toggle. If it is not listed, right-click then New => Boolean
    to create.

    - If some extensions are "really" incompatible at the code level, the above
    will enable them but it won't make them work. You may have to seek them out,
    and disable them manually in the Add-Ons Manager.

    - Some extensions may have been upgraded by their authors. In the Add-Ons
    Manager, click the button "Find updates" at the bottom. If any updates are
    found, click "Install" then (after all progress bars reach 100%, then are
    replaced by "Install complete" or something) "Restart Firefox".

    - Some extensions may be incompatible now, but get updates in the future. To
    catch these, go to
    (Windows) Tools => Options
    (Linux) Edit => Preferences
    (Mac) Firefox => Preferences
    => Advanced => Updates
    _Automatically check for updates for____________________________________
    [x] Installed Add-ons

    - Some extensions' sites may have migrated. In that case, the auto-update may
    not find the updates. By installing the "MR-Tech Local Install" extension and
    opening "My Config" (Tools => MyConfig => View MyConfig), you will be able to
    get to each extension's home site by clicking on its name. From there, it
    ought to be easy enough to find the latest version and, if later than what you
    have, to install it.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the
    shoulders of giants.

    In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side
    with the giants on whose shoulders we stand.
    -- Gerald Holton

    If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing
    on my shoulders.
    -- Hal Abelson

    In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.
    -- Brian K. Reid

  3. Re: No more extensions

    On Aug 19, 10:38 am, Tony Mechelynck
    wrote:
> [...]

    > opening "My Config" (Tools => MyConfig => View MyConfig), you will be able to
    > get to each extension's home site by clicking on its name. From there, it
    > ought to be easy enough to find the latest version and, if later than what you
    > have, to install it.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tony.
    > --
    > If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the
    > shoulders of giants.
    > -- Isaac Newton
    >
    > In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side
    > with the giants on whose shoulders we stand.
    > -- Gerald Holton
    >
    > If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing
    > on my shoulders.
    > -- Hal Abelson
    >
    > In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.

    ok, I tried that and it still doesn't work, then I tried adding a new
    extension that was compatible for the new FF and I get the same thing:
    "this will be installed when firefox restarts" but it doesn't

  4. Re: No more extensions

    kender42@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have updated my Firefox to the new one and ALL of my extensions, add-
    > ons and toolbars won't reinstall and it tells me they will be
    > reintalled when I restart Firefox. I have restarted FF several times
    > and went as far as rebooting my system. Does any one have any
    > suggestions to get them all back.

    I had this problem initially and found that it was a corrupted Firefox
    profile. I have two machines, one WXP (Pro SP2) and one Vista (Home
    Premium) with UAC activated. As it turned out, once I upgraded to FF
    2.0.0.6., Vista needed Firefox to run in Admin mode to avoid corrupting
    the mailbox (it was corrupted when copied back to my WXP machine) and to
    get the extensions and themes working properly. Once MS released the
    August Vista updates, however, I can now run Firefox in user mode and
    everything works fine. But I did have to dig out a backup of my
    profile, because it was toast after having opened it on Vista prior to
    August patches. (That is, same problem on my WXP box.)

    Interestingly enough, I also had this problem after upgrading to TB
    2.0.0.6. And similarly, the problem was fixed after this month's Vista
    updates.

    I upgraded FF and TB on my desktop (WXP) first and had no problems. It
    wasn't till I opened those same profiles on my Vista machine (right
    after upgrading FF and TB) that I realized there was a problem at all.
    When those same profiles were copied from my Vista machine back to my
    WXP machine, neither extensions nor themes worked properly, and I kept
    getting the message that restarting FF and TB would get all extensions
    and themes working.

    Anyway, I restored my TB and FF profiles from backup, updated Vista, and
    now everything is working just fine again. Hope this helps.

    Regards,

    Margaret

  5. Re: No more extensions

    On Aug 19, 11:41 am, Margaret
    wrote:
    > kende...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I have updated my Firefox to the new one and ALL of my extensions, add-
    > > ons and toolbars won't reinstall and it tells me they will be
    > > reintalled when I restart Firefox. I have restarted FF several times
    > > and went as far as rebooting my system. Does any one have any
    > > suggestions to get them all back.

    > I had this problem initially and found that it was a corrupted Firefox
    > profile. I have two machines, one WXP (Pro SP2) and one Vista (Home
    > Premium) with UAC activated. As it turned out, once I upgraded to FF
    > 2.0.0.6., Vista needed Firefox to run in Admin mode to avoid corrupting
    > the mailbox (it was corrupted when copied back to my WXP machine) and to
    > get the extensions and themes working properly. Once MS released the
    > August Vista updates, however, I can now run Firefox in user mode and
    > everything works fine. But I did have to dig out a backup of my
    > profile, because it was toast after having opened it on Vista prior to
    > August patches. (That is, same problem on my WXP box.)
    >
    > Interestingly enough, I also had this problem after upgrading to TB
    > 2.0.0.6. And similarly, the problem was fixed after this month's Vista
    > updates.
    >
    > I upgraded FF and TB on my desktop (WXP) first and had no problems. It
    > wasn't till I opened those same profiles on my Vista machine (right
    > after upgrading FF and TB) that I realized there was a problem at all.
    > When those same profiles were copied from my Vista machine back to my
    > WXP machine, neither extensions nor themes worked properly, and I kept
    > getting the message that restarting FF and TB would get all extensions
    > and themes working.
    >
    > Anyway, I restored my TB and FF profiles from backup, updated Vista, and
    > now everything is working just fine again. Hope this helps.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Margaret

    Ok, I tried that as well, then I uninstalled FF and reinstalled a
    fresh copy and I still get the same thing, I think this is becoming a
    major bug for me. I forgot to mention it earlier but the only OS I
    have is XP Pro sp1 (sp2 crashes my computer to where it won't boot)

  6. Re: No more extensions

    kender42@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]

    >> have, to install it.
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.
    >> --
    >> If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the
    >> shoulders of giants.
    >> -- Isaac Newton
    >>
    >> In the sciences, we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side
    >> with the giants on whose shoulders we stand.
    >> -- Gerald Holton
    >>
    >> If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing
    >> on my shoulders.
    >> -- Hal Abelson
    >>
    >> In computer science, we stand on each other's feet.
    >> -- Brian K. Reid

    > ok, I tried that and it still doesn't work, then I tried adding a new
    > extension that was compatible for the new FF and I get the same thing:
    > "this will be installed when firefox restarts" but it doesn't

    Well, in the "Installation" (or "Update") pane of the Add-Ons Manager, there
    is a "Restart Now" button (at bottom right). If that doesn't work, or if that
    pane isn't displayed:

    1. Click File => Exit (or File => Quit, depending on platform).
    2. Wait for Firefox to close completely. This can actually take several _more_
    minutes than it takes for all Firefox windows to close. To make certain, you
    may use the Windows Task Manager (accessible from the Ctrl-Alt-Del popup), or,
    on Linux, the "KDE System Guard" program (ksysguard) or the Gnome System
    Monitor; or any program doing a similar job in any OS you happen to be running
    Firefox on. Find the "Processes List" (not the Applications List) and sort it
    A-Z by process name (usually by clicking on the column header). When
    firefox.exe (on Windows) or firefox-bin (on Linux), etc., stops being listed
    under the letter F, you know it has finished closing down. At the same time,
    in the System load pane (or whatever it is called), you should see a sudden
    drop in both CPU and memory use, as displayed graphically over time.
    3. Start Firefox again.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    USER, n.:
    The word computer professionals use when they mean "idiot."

  7. Re: No more extensions

    On Aug 19, 11:53 am, Tony Mechelynck
    wrote:
> [...]

    > Monitor; or any program doing a similar job in any OS you happen to be running
    > Firefox on. Find the "Processes List" (not the Applications List) and sort it
    > A-Z by process name (usually by clicking on the column header). When
    > firefox.exe (on Windows) or firefox-bin (on Linux), etc., stops being listed
    > under the letter F, you know it has finished closing down. At the same time,
    > in the System load pane (or whatever it is called), you should see a sudden
    > drop in both CPU and memory use, as displayed graphically over time.
    > 3. Start Firefox again.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tony.
    > --
    > USER, n.:
    > The word computer professionals use when they mean "idiot."
    > -- Dave Barry, "Claw Your Way to the Top"

    I have tried that already, I even rebooted the computer itself and I
    still get the same thing

  8. Re: No more extensions

    kender42@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 19, 11:41 am, Margaret
    > wrote:

    > Ok, I tried that as well, then I uninstalled FF and reinstalled a
    > fresh copy and I still get the same thing, I think this is becoming a
    > major bug for me. I forgot to mention it earlier but the only OS I
    > have is XP Pro sp1 (sp2 crashes my computer to where it won't boot)

    Try renaming the following files in your profile, restarting, add an
    extension, restart again and see if that works:

    extensions.cache
    extensions.ini
    extensions.rdf

    gl

    --
    Sailfish - Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    Netscape/Mozilla Tips: http://www.ufaq.org/ , http://ilias.ca/

  9. Re: No more extensions

    Since nothing else seems to help, try:
    1. Uninstall FF
    2. Delete the program folder
    3. (optional) restart computer
    4. Reinstall FF

    --
    Irwin

  10. Re: No more extensions

    On Aug 19, 12:59 pm, Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 8/19/2007 11:57 AM, kende...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > On Aug 19, 11:53 am, Tony Mechelynck
    > > wrote:
    > >> Well, in the "Installation" (or "Update") pane of the Add-Ons Manager, there
    > >> is a "Restart Now" button (at bottom right). If that doesn't work, or if that
    > >> pane isn't displayed:

    > >> 1. Click File => Exit (or File => Quit, depending on platform).
    > >> 2. Wait for Firefox to close completely. This can actually take several _more_
    > >> minutes than it takes for all Firefox windows to close. To make certain, you
    > >> may use the Windows Task Manager (accessible from the Ctrl-Alt-Del popup), or,
    > >> on Linux, the "KDE System Guard" program (ksysguard) or the Gnome System
    > >> Monitor; or any program doing a similar job in any OS you happen to be running
    > >> Firefox on. Find the "Processes List" (not the Applications List) and sort it
    > >> A-Z by process name (usually by clicking on the column header). When
    > >> firefox.exe (on Windows) or firefox-bin (on Linux), etc., stops being listed
    > >> under the letter F, you know it has finished closing down. At the same time,
    > >> in the System load pane (or whatever it is called), you should see a sudden
    > >> drop in both CPU and memory use, as displayed graphically over time.
    > >> 3. Start Firefox again.

    > >> Best regards,
    > >> Tony.
    > >> --
    > >> USER, n.:
    > >> The word computer professionals use when they mean "idiot."
    > >> -- Dave Barry, "Claw Your Way to the Top"

    > > I have tried that already, I even rebooted the computer itself and I
    > > still get the same thing

    > Since nothing else seems to help, try:
    > 1. Uninstall FF
    > 2. Delete the program folder
    > 3. (optional) restart computer
    > 4. Reinstall FF
    >
    > --
    > Irwin
    >
    > Please do not use my email address to make requests for help.
    >
    > Knowledge Base:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page

    Ok, I tried your suggestions with no luck, so I just went back to the
    older version and I will wait for the new update to come out. I won't
    bother with 2.0.0.6

  11. Re: No more extensions

    On Aug 19, 1:18 pm, kende...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 19, 12:59 pm, Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >

    > > On 8/19/2007 11:57 AM, kende...@gmail.com wrote:

    > > > I have tried that already, I even rebooted the computer itself and I
    > > > still get the same thing

    > > Since nothing else seems to help, try:
    > > 1. Uninstall FF
    > > 2. Delete the program folder
    > > 3. (optional) restart computer
    > > 4. Reinstall FF

    > > --
    > > Irwin

    > > Please do not use my email address to make requests for help.

    > > Knowledge Base:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page

    > Ok, I tried your suggestions with no luck, so I just went back to the
    > older version and I will wait for the new update to come out. I won't
    > bother with 2.0.0.6

    I also wanted to add, I thank all of you for your help and
    suggestions, I will remember most of them if I have other problems I
    need to fix. To everyone that replied to my post, thank you.

  12. Re: No more extensions

    kender42@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 19, 12:59 pm, Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> On 8/19/2007 11:57 AM, kende...@gmail.com wrote:

    >>> I have tried that already, I even rebooted the computer itself and I
    >>> still get the same thing

    >> Since nothing else seems to help, try:
    >> 1. Uninstall FF
    >> 2. Delete the program folder
    >> 3. (optional) restart computer
    >> 4. Reinstall FF
    >>
    >> --
    >> Irwin
    >>
    >> Please do not use my email address to make requests for help.
    >>
    >> Knowledge Base:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page

    > Ok, I tried your suggestions with no luck, so I just went back to the
    > older version and I will wait for the new update to come out. I won't
    > bother with 2.0.0.6

    if you have problems now, you're going to have problems with
    the next version. Either fix the problem now, or you'll
    never upgrade again.

    close FF. Since you're using a Mac, I don't know how you
    would start the profile manager. Someone else will have to
    tell you that. What I want you to do is create a test
    profile, and see if the problem continues in that.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  13. Re: No more extensions

    Sailfish wrote:
    >Try renaming the following files in your profile, restarting, add an
    >extension, restart again and see if that works:
    >
    >extensions.cache
    >extensions.ini
    >extensions.rdf

    I'm surprised no one suggested this earlier, Sailfish. It's one of the
    most common effective solutions to this problem. From the MozillaZine
    knowledge base:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_...xtension_files

    Be sure to try this, kender42.

  14. Re: No more extensions

    On Aug 19, 1:57 pm, Alan Baxter wrote:
    > Sailfish wrote:
    > >Try renaming the following files in your profile, restarting, add an
    > >extension, restart again and see if that works:

    > >extensions.cache
    > >extensions.ini
    > >extensions.rdf

    > I'm surprised no one suggested this earlier, Sailfish. It's one of the
    > most common effective solutions to this problem. From the MozillaZine
    > knowledge base:http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_...xtensions_-_Fi...
    >
    > Be sure to try this, kender42.

    That worked, had a few problems reconnecting but I got it fixed, thank
    you

+ Reply to Thread