How to tell firefox to open PDF files with kpdf instead of embedded acroread - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to tell firefox to open PDF files with kpdf instead of embedded acroread - Mozilla ; Hi, when I follow a link to a pdf file it will be opened in an embedded AcrobatReader. How can I change that behavior? There's nothing listed in Preferences -> Content -> File Types -> Manage and it doesn't seem ...

  1. How to tell firefox to open PDF files with kpdf instead of embedded acroread

    Hi,

    when I follow a link to a pdf file it will be opened in an embedded
    AcrobatReader. How can I change that behavior?

    There's nothing listed in

    Preferences -> Content -> File Types -> Manage

    and it doesn't seem to follow the rules defined in my ~/.mailcap, too.

    I'm using FF 2.0.0.6 on Gentoo GNU/Linux.

    Bye,
    Tassilo

  2. Re: How to tell firefox to open PDF files with kpdf instead of embeddedacroread

    Tassilo Horn wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > when I follow a link to a pdf file it will be opened in an embedded
    > AcrobatReader. How can I change that behavior?
    >
    > There's nothing listed in
    >
    > Preferences -> Content -> File Types -> Manage
    >
    > and it doesn't seem to follow the rules defined in my ~/.mailcap, too.
    >
    > I'm using FF 2.0.0.6 on Gentoo GNU/Linux.
    >
    > Bye,
    > Tassilo

    Hi,

    check:
    help| about plugins

    Is there any entry there for acroread/PDF files?

    If so close firefox and remove the plugin from plugin sub-directory
    where you have installed firefox.

    Ian

  3. Re: How to tell firefox to open PDF files with kpdf instead of embedded acroread

    Ian writes:

    Hi Ian,

    > check:
    > help| about plugins
    >
    > Is there any entry there for acroread/PDF files?

    There's no such item in the Help menu.

    > If so close firefox and remove the plugin from plugin sub-directory
    > where you have installed firefox.

    Oh, there's a file /home/heimdall/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat which
    seems to register the acroread plugin. But it states that it is
    auto-generated and shouldn't be edited. Now I found out that my
    installed acroread has netscape plugin support enabled. After
    reinstalling it without that, PDF files are opened in an external
    viewer.

    Thanks,
    Tassilo

  4. Re: How to tell firefox to open PDF files with kpdf instead of embeddedacroread

    Tassilo Horn wrote:
    > Ian writes:
    >
    > Hi Ian,
    >
    >> check:
    >> help| about plugins
    >>
    >> Is there any entry there for acroread/PDF files?

    > There's no such item in the Help menu.
    >
    >> If so close firefox and remove the plugin from plugin sub-directory
    >> where you have installed firefox.

    > Oh, there's a file /home/heimdall/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat which
    > seems to register the acroread plugin. But it states that it is
    > auto-generated and shouldn't be edited. Now I found out that my
    > installed acroread has netscape plugin support enabled. After
    > reinstalling it without that, PDF files are opened in an external
    > viewer.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tassilo

    Actually it's an Acrobat option. Under settings/internet there's a
    choice of "open in browser window" - uncheck this and it opens in Reader.

    Andrew

  5. Re: How to tell firefox to open PDF files with kpdf instead of embedded acroread

    ajwh writes:

    Hi Andrew,

    >> Oh, there's a file /home/heimdall/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat
    >> which seems to register the acroread plugin. But it states that it
    >> is auto-generated and shouldn't be edited. Now I found out that my
    >> installed acroread has netscape plugin support enabled. After
    >> reinstalling it without that, PDF files are opened in an external
    >> viewer.

    > Actually it's an Acrobat option. Under settings/internet there's a
    > choice of "open in browser window" - uncheck this and it opens in
    > Reader.

    Well, with the nsplugin and the above option unchecked it would still be
    Acrobat Reader. I don't want to use it at all, so removing the plugin
    seems to be the best solution for me.

    Bye,
    Tassilo
    --
    The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it
    needs to be.

  6. Re: How to tell firefox to open PDF files with kpdf instead of embeddedacroread

    There is a useful extension available which should solve this problem:

    regards

    S.Sanatani

    Tassilo Horn wrote:
    > ajwh writes:
    >
    > Hi Andrew,
    >
    >>> Oh, there's a file /home/heimdall/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat
    >>> which seems to register the acroread plugin. But it states that it
    >>> is auto-generated and shouldn't be edited. Now I found out that my
    >>> installed acroread has netscape plugin support enabled. After
    >>> reinstalling it without that, PDF files are opened in an external
    >>> viewer.

    >> Actually it's an Acrobat option. Under settings/internet there's a
    >> choice of "open in browser window" - uncheck this and it opens in
    >> Reader.

    > Well, with the nsplugin and the above option unchecked it would still be
    > Acrobat Reader. I don't want to use it at all, so removing the plugin
    > seems to be the best solution for me.
    >
    > Bye,
    > Tassilo

  7. Re: How to tell firefox to open PDF files with kpdf instead of embeddedacroread

    Ian wrote:
    > Tassilo Horn wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> when I follow a link to a pdf file it will be opened in an embedded
    >> AcrobatReader. How can I change that behavior?
    >>
    >> There's nothing listed in
    >>
    >> Preferences -> Content -> File Types -> Manage
    >>
    >> and it doesn't seem to follow the rules defined in my ~/.mailcap, too.
    >>
    >> I'm using FF 2.0.0.6 on Gentoo GNU/Linux.
    >>
    >> Bye,
    >> Tassilo

    > Hi,
    >
    > check:
    > help| about plugins
    >
    > Is there any entry there for acroread/PDF files?
    >
    > If so close firefox and remove the plugin from plugin sub-directory
    > where you have installed firefox.
    >
    > Ian

    Try the MIME Edit extension. It can set the helper application to
    anything you like.

  8. Re: How to tell firefox to open PDF files with kpdf instead of embeddedacroread

    Tassilo Horn wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > when I follow a link to a pdf file it will be opened in an embedded
    > AcrobatReader. How can I change that behavior?
    >
    > There's nothing listed in
    >
    > Preferences -> Content -> File Types -> Manage
    >
    > and it doesn't seem to follow the rules defined in my ~/.mailcap, too.
    >
    > I'm using FF 2.0.0.6 on Gentoo GNU/Linux.
    >
    > Bye,
    > Tassilo

    You can set this in the AcrobatReader preferences.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  9. Re: How to tell firefox to open PDF files with kpdf instead of embedded acroread

    On Aug 8, 6:21 am, Ian wrote:
    > If so close firefox and remove the plugin from plugin sub-directory
    > where you have installed firefox.

    Hi,

    I am a sysadmin and just discovered this thread while
    trying to accommodate a user's reasonable request to
    have PDF files opened with his preferred viewer.

    In my situation, obviously, to remove the plugin is
    unworkable because the software is installed
    systemwide and this ought to be a per-user preference.

    Acrobat happens to offer a menu option to disable its
    own plugin, but this technique obviously doesn't generalize
    to other plugins and is no substitute for a reliable way
    to control plugins within FF.

    I was able to set the preference myself in an earlier version
    of FF, simply by going to Edit / Preferences / Content / File
    Types / Manage and changing the behavior for application/pdf.
    In 2.0.0.6 that seems no longer possible, because the file type does
    not even show up in File Types / Manage. PDFs are now
    unconditionally opened with the plugin without ever being added
    to the list, so no opportunity to change the behavior is offered.

    I have confirmed this by using firefox -ProfileManager to create
    a new profile. Now FF treats PDFs as I want them treated when
    using my old profile (created with an earlier FF), but when using
    my new profile, it unconditionally uses the plugin and offers no
    possibility of change.

    By comparing about:config in the two profiles, I see that the
    older, working profile has the following user-set variables:

    browser.download.pluginOverrideTypes application/pdf
    browser.download.pluginOverrideTypesNotHandled application/pdf
    plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types application/pdf

    I've confirmed that by adding only the last of these,
    plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types, then quitting
    and restarting FF, I can force a "How to handle" dialog
    to appear for a PDF file. After checking "Do this
    automatically," the file type will thereafter appear in
    Edit / Preferences / Content / File Types / Manage
    where it can be changed as desired.

    I am hoping that the failure of PDF to appear there
    without all this runaround is actually a bug, and not
    the latest usability enhancement!

+ Reply to Thread