How to disable menu shortcuts - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to disable menu shortcuts - Mozilla ; Hi all, I'm an emacs addict and don't use a mouse most of the time. So I installed Hit-a-Hint (great!) and firemacs (2.1) to be able to navigate with the keyboard and to teach firefox emacs keybindings. Most firemacs bindings ...

  1. How to disable menu shortcuts

    Hi all,

    I'm an emacs addict and don't use a mouse most of the time. So I
    installed Hit-a-Hint (great!) and firemacs (2.1) to be able to navigate
    with the keyboard and to teach firefox emacs keybindings.

    Most firemacs bindings work as expected, but for example M-v (with M =
    Alt) which should scroll up one page doesn't work, because that's a menu
    shortcut to open the View menu.

    So is it possible to deactivate all menu shortcuts or even better all
    standard shortcuts, so that only those defined in an extension work?

    I'm using FF 2.0.0.6.

    Thanks a lot for any pointer,
    Tassilo

  2. Re: How to disable menu shortcuts

    Tassilo Horn wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm an emacs addict and don't use a mouse most of the time. So I
    > installed Hit-a-Hint (great!) and firemacs (2.1) to be able to navigate
    > with the keyboard and to teach firefox emacs keybindings.
    >
    > Most firemacs bindings work as expected, but for example M-v (with M =
    > Alt) which should scroll up one page doesn't work, because that's a menu
    > shortcut to open the View menu.
    >
    > So is it possible to deactivate all menu shortcuts or even better all
    > standard shortcuts, so that only those defined in an extension work?
    >
    > I'm using FF 2.0.0.6.
    >
    > Thanks a lot for any pointer,
    > Tassilo

    if you don't get any help here, then contact the developer
    of the firemacs extension:
    http://www.mew.org/~kazu/proj/firemacs/

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: How to disable menu shortcuts

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    writes:

    Hi Peter,

    > if you don't get any help here, then contact the developer of the
    > firemacs extension: http://www.mew.org/~kazu/proj/firemacs/

    There's no email address on that site, but I guess kazu at mew dot org
    should be valid.

    Bye,
    Tassilo

  4. Re: How to disable menu shortcuts

    Tassilo Horn writes:

    Outch! I should read the docs more carefully.

    > Most firemacs bindings work as expected, but for example M-v (with M =
    > Alt) which should scroll up one page doesn't work, because that's a
    > menu shortcut to open the View menu.

    In firemacs M is not Alt, but ESC. ESC-v scrolls one page up as it
    should be...

    Bye,
    Tassilo

  5. Re: How to disable menu shortcuts

    Tassilo Horn wrote:
    > Tassilo Horn writes:
    >
    > Outch! I should read the docs more carefully.
    >> Most firemacs bindings work as expected, but for example M-v (with M
    >> = Alt) which should scroll up one page doesn't work, because that's a
    >> menu shortcut to open the View menu.

    > In firemacs M is not Alt, but ESC. ESC-v scrolls one page up as it
    > should be...

    I tend to disagree, especially if you've at all gotten used to M == Alt.
    M = Esc is inconvenient, especially when you consider where Esc is often
    located on the keyboard. Additionally Esc is repetitive in that if you
    hold it down it repeats. Alt doesn't. So if you wished to move forward
    several words, for example, you could hold down Alt and bop on the F key
    to go forward (or even hold down F too and start flying past words). Try
    that with Esc-F - not the same.

    So the questions, how does one deconfigure the keyboard shortcuts in
    Firefox.

    And, since I type more into Thunderbird than Firefox, does this
    extension work there? (I'm about to attempt to install it). Ah nope,
    states "Firemacs 2.1 could not be installed because it is not compatible
    with Thunderbird" - damn! Emailed Kazu...
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    How much deeper would oceans be if sponges didn't live there?

  6. Re: How to disable menu shortcuts

    Andrew DeFaria writes:

    Hi Andrew,

    >> In firemacs M is not Alt, but ESC. ESC-v scrolls one page up as it
    >> should be...

    > I tend to disagree, especially if you've at all gotten used to M ==
    > Alt. M = Esc is inconvenient, especially when you consider where Esc
    > is often located on the keyboard. Additionally Esc is repetitive in
    > that if you hold it down it repeats.

    Sure, but it's documented on the firemacs page that M is ESC or `C-x ['.
    I guess Kazu himself didn't know how to get rid of the default menu
    bindings.

    > And, since I type more into Thunderbird than Firefox, does this
    > extension work there?

    Use Gnus instead. ;-)

    > (I'm about to attempt to install it). Ah nope, states "Firemacs 2.1
    > could not be installed because it is not compatible with Thunderbird"
    > - damn! Emailed Kazu...

    Please report back what he said.

    Bye,
    Tassilo

  7. Re: How to disable menu shortcuts

    Hello,

    I'm the author of Firemacs.
    I have submitted Firemacs v2.2 that enables to use the Alt key and
    been waiting for approval.
    It will probably appear on addon official site two week later or so.

    Kazu Yamamoto

+ Reply to Thread