defunct names in address book - Mozilla

This is a discussion on defunct names in address book - Mozilla ; When I type a few letters in the "To" box in TB, names pop up....old names and addresses that I'd like to delete. But scanning the Address Book, I can't find them. Where is the 'acquired' list, and how can ...

  1. defunct names in address book

    When I type a few letters in the "To" box in TB,
    names pop up....old names and addresses that I'd like to
    delete. But scanning the Address Book, I can't find them.
    Where is the 'acquired' list, and how can I delete addresses
    that I can't find?

    Thanks

  2. Re: defunct names in address book

    On 8/3/2007 10:02 AM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    announced:
    > When I type a few letters in the "To" box in TB,
    > names pop up....old names and addresses that I'd like to
    > delete. But scanning the Address Book, I can't find them.
    > Where is the 'acquired' list, and how can I delete addresses
    > that I can't find?
    >
    > Thanks

    The data your seeing is coming from your abook.mab which is the personal
    address book file. Unfortunatly when the addressbook manager deletes
    entries not all the data purges out of the file. It tends to leave
    traces of nuts. This is a bug that can be filed at Bugzilla. I have
    looked at the content of mine with a text editor and also seen data that
    did not purge.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  3. Re: defunct names in address book

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 8/3/2007 10:02 AM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    > announced:
    >> When I type a few letters in the "To" box in TB,
    >> names pop up....old names and addresses that I'd like to
    >> delete. But scanning the Address Book, I can't find them.
    >> Where is the 'acquired' list, and how can I delete addresses
    >> that I can't find?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > The data your seeing is coming from your abook.mab which is the personal
    > address book file. Unfortunatly when the addressbook manager deletes
    > entries not all the data purges out of the file. It tends to leave
    > traces of nuts. This is a bug that can be filed at Bugzilla. I have
    > looked at the content of mine with a text editor and also seen data that
    > did not purge.

    Thank you, Ron. I found the .mab file but my address book
    is ~500K and I don't know a way to sort it, edit it, and
    resave it.

    Looking at the actual Address Book in TB, as I said, I don't
    see the obsolete addresses that are pulled in when I type
    a few letters. I guess that's the bug that I should file
    with Bugzilla, but, frankly, the last time I tried to do
    something like that, it looked like a more formidable task.
    Living with it might be a better alternative.

  4. Re: defunct names in address book

    On 8/3/2007 3:01 PM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    announced:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/3/2007 10:02 AM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    >> announced:
    >>
    >>> When I type a few letters in the "To" box in TB,
    >>> names pop up....old names and addresses that I'd like to
    >>> delete. But scanning the Address Book, I can't find them.
    >>> Where is the 'acquired' list, and how can I delete addresses
    >>> that I can't find?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> The data your seeing is coming from your abook.mab which is the personal
    >> address book file. Unfortunatly when the addressbook manager deletes
    >> entries not all the data purges out of the file. It tends to leave
    >> traces of nuts. This is a bug that can be filed at Bugzilla. I have
    >> looked at the content of mine with a text editor and also seen data that
    >> did not purge.
    >>

    > Thank you, Ron. I found the .mab file but my address book
    > is ~500K and I don't know a way to sort it, edit it, and
    > resave it.
    >
    > Looking at the actual Address Book in TB, as I said, I don't
    > see the obsolete addresses that are pulled in when I type
    > a few letters. I guess that's the bug that I should file
    > with Bugzilla, but, frankly, the last time I tried to do
    > something like that, it looked like a more formidable task.
    > Living with it might be a better alternative.

    I have an account and am willing to file the bug. Later I will post back
    to this thread so you can add your vote. I know who the Abook dev is and
    am willing to share my small abook.mab with him to illustrate the
    corruption.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  5. Re: defunct names in address book

    William B. Lurie wrote:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> On 8/3/2007 10:02 AM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    >> announced:
    >>> When I type a few letters in the "To" box in TB,
    >>> names pop up....old names and addresses that I'd like to
    >>> delete. But scanning the Address Book, I can't find them.
    >>> Where is the 'acquired' list, and how can I delete addresses
    >>> that I can't find?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> The data your seeing is coming from your abook.mab which is the personal
    >> address book file. Unfortunatly when the addressbook manager deletes
    >> entries not all the data purges out of the file. It tends to leave
    >> traces of nuts. This is a bug that can be filed at Bugzilla. I have
    >> looked at the content of mine with a text editor and also seen data that
    >> did not purge.
    >>

    > Thank you, Ron. I found the .mab file but my address book
    > is ~500K and I don't know a way to sort it, edit it, and
    > resave it.
    >
    > Looking at the actual Address Book in TB, as I said, I don't
    > see the obsolete addresses that are pulled in when I type
    > a few letters. I guess that's the bug that I should file
    > with Bugzilla, but, frankly, the last time I tried to do
    > something like that, it looked like a more formidable task.
    > Living with it might be a better alternative.

    export the file as either a comma separated or tab delimited
    file. Now, open them up in a spreadsheet and look for the
    lines you don't want. When you have found them, then remove
    them from the address book. I found mine under Additional
    Email Addresses

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: defunct names in address book

    On 8/3/2007 4:04 PM, Thunderbird leader Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    by teletype announced:
    > William B. Lurie wrote:
    >
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 8/3/2007 10:02 AM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    >>> announced:

    >>> The data your seeing is coming from your abook.mab which is the personal
    >>> address book file. Unfortunatly when the addressbook manager deletes
    >>> entries not all the data purges out of the file. It tends to leave
    >>> traces of nuts. This is a bug that can be filed at Bugzilla. I have
    >>> looked at the content of mine with a text editor and also seen data that
    >>> did not purge.
    >>>

    >> Thank you, Ron. I found the .mab file but my address book
    >> is ~500K and I don't know a way to sort it, edit it, and
    >> resave it.
    >>
    >> Looking at the actual Address Book in TB, as I said, I don't
    >> see the obsolete addresses that are pulled in when I type
    >> a few letters. I guess that's the bug that I should file
    >> with Bugzilla, but, frankly, the last time I tried to do
    >> something like that, it looked like a more formidable task.
    >> Living with it might be a better alternative.
    >>

    > export the file as either a comma separated or tab delimited
    > file. Now, open them up in a spreadsheet and look for the
    > lines you don't want. When you have found them, then remove
    > them from the address book. I found mine under Additional
    > Email Addresses

    Good tip Grant. However, it is a workaround to buggy Abook maintenance
    performance.
    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  7. Re: defunct names in address book

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 8/3/2007 4:04 PM, Thunderbird leader Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > by teletype announced:
    >> William B. Lurie wrote:

    >>> Thank you, Ron. I found the .mab file but my address book
    >>> is ~500K and I don't know a way to sort it, edit it, and
    >>> resave it.
    >>>
    >>> Looking at the actual Address Book in TB, as I said, I don't
    >>> see the obsolete addresses that are pulled in when I type
    >>> a few letters. I guess that's the bug that I should file
    >>> with Bugzilla, but, frankly, the last time I tried to do
    >>> something like that, it looked like a more formidable task.
    >>> Living with it might be a better alternative.
    >>>

    >> export the file as either a comma separated or tab delimited
    >> file. Now, open them up in a spreadsheet and look for the
    >> lines you don't want. When you have found them, then remove
    >> them from the address book. I found mine under Additional
    >> Email Addresses
    >>

    > Good tip Grant. However, it is a workaround to buggy Abook maintenance
    > performance.

    I think a workaround is better than nothing. We don't know
    how long it will take the devs to find a solution, and if
    they will take it on.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: defunct names in address book

    William B. Lurie wrote:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> On 8/3/2007 10:02 AM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    >> announced:
    >>> When I type a few letters in the "To" box in TB,
    >>> names pop up....old names and addresses that I'd like to
    >>> delete. But scanning the Address Book, I can't find them.
    >>> Where is the 'acquired' list, and how can I delete addresses
    >>> that I can't find?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> The data your seeing is coming from your abook.mab which is the
    >> personal address book file. Unfortunatly when the addressbook manager
    >> deletes entries not all the data purges out of the file. It tends to
    >> leave traces of nuts. This is a bug that can be filed at Bugzilla. I
    >> have looked at the content of mine with a text editor and also seen
    >> data that did not purge.
    >>

    > Thank you, Ron. I found the .mab file but my address book
    > is ~500K and I don't know a way to sort it, edit it, and
    > resave it.
    >
    > Looking at the actual Address Book in TB, as I said, I don't
    > see the obsolete addresses that are pulled in when I type
    > a few letters. I guess that's the bug that I should file
    > with Bugzilla, but, frankly, the last time I tried to do
    > something like that, it looked like a more formidable task.
    > Living with it might be a better alternative.

    Perhaps if you export it, then delete the old file, and import the
    exported file, it would be cleaned up...
    Save a copy before trying this, of course.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread