Is there a way to make Text Size sticky? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Is there a way to make Text Size sticky? - Mozilla ; I use a fairly high resolution monitor setting and I am constantly increasing the text size to make the pages more readable to my aging eyes. My choice sticks while I am on the same website but as soon as ...

  1. Is there a way to make Text Size sticky?

    I use a fairly high resolution monitor setting and I am constantly
    increasing the text size to make the pages more readable to my aging eyes.
    My choice sticks while I am on the same website but as soon as I move to a
    new one, the typically small (to me) text size returns. This also occurs
    should I open a page in a new tab or window on the _same_ website.

    I have my Font size 'Default' set to 16 pt. in Tools|Options|Content, but
    this seldom makes a difference, apparently, unless I select View|Page
    Style|No Style, which is no easier than just redoing a Ctrl-scroll wheel
    size adjustment and generally also produces an inferior layout.

    (Internet Explorer's text size preferences are sticky when one uses the
    Accessibility|Ignore-font-sizes option, but of course their mere 5 font
    sizes and their page displays are vastly inferior to those of Firefox's
    Text-size options.) Is there any way to make my text size preferences in
    Firefox sticky?

    RalphB

  2. Re: Is there a way to make Text Size sticky?

    RalphB wrote:
    > I use a fairly high resolution monitor setting and I am constantly
    > increasing the text size to make the pages more readable to my aging eyes.
    > My choice sticks while I am on the same website but as soon as I move to a
    > new one, the typically small (to me) text size returns. This also occurs
    > should I open a page in a new tab or window on the _same_ website.
    >
    > I have my Font size 'Default' set to 16 pt. in Tools|Options|Content, but
    > this seldom makes a difference, apparently, unless I select View|Page
    > Style|No Style, which is no easier than just redoing a Ctrl-scroll wheel
    > size adjustment and generally also produces an inferior layout.
    >
    > (Internet Explorer's text size preferences are sticky when one uses the
    > Accessibility|Ignore-font-sizes option, but of course their mere 5 font
    > sizes and their page displays are vastly inferior to those of Firefox's
    > Text-size options.) Is there any way to make my text size preferences in
    > Firefox sticky?

    There should be an option in your font settings to force pages to be
    rendered only in your selected font. Look for a checkbox option phrased
    something like "Allow Documents To Use Other Fonts" and
    select/de-select as appropriate.

    --
    Never try to outstubborn a cat.
    -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"

  3. Re: Is there a way to make Text Size sticky?

    "Rinaldi J. Montessi" wrote in message
    news4WdnXCeZpYsXS_bnZ2dnUVZ_siknZ2d@mozilla.org...
    > RalphB wrote:
    > > I use a fairly high resolution monitor setting and I am constantly
    > > increasing the text size to make the pages more readable to my aging

    eyes.
    > > My choice sticks while I am on the same website but as soon as I move to

    > > new one, the typically small (to me) text size returns. This also

    occurs
    > > should I open a page in a new tab or window on the _same_ website.
    > >
    > > I have my Font size 'Default' set to 16 pt. in Tools|Options|Content,

    but
    > > this seldom makes a difference, apparently, unless I select View|Page
    > > Style|No Style, which is no easier than just redoing a Ctrl-scroll wheel
    > > size adjustment and generally also produces an inferior layout.
    > >
    > > (Internet Explorer's text size preferences are sticky when one uses the
    > > Accessibility|Ignore-font-sizes option, but of course their mere 5 font
    > > sizes and their page displays are vastly inferior to those of Firefox's
    > > Text-size options.) Is there any way to make my text size preferences in
    > > Firefox sticky?

    > There should be an option in your font settings to force pages to be
    > rendered only in your selected font. Look for a checkbox option phrased
    > something like "Allow Documents To Use Other Fonts" and
    > select/de-select as appropriate.
    >
    > --
    > Never try to outstubborn a cat.
    > -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"

    ANSWER FOUND!

    Thanks Rinaldi. Though the closest thing I found to your "Allow Documents
    To Use Other Fonts" is found at
    Tools|Options|Content|Font-&-Colors|Default-font and does force a font
    choice, it does not force the point-size choice.

    However, while I was searching for "Allow Documents To Use Other Fonts" I
    found the solution to my problem! Go to Tools|Options|Content|Font-&-Colors
    and select the "Advanced" button. There you will see an option to select
    "Minimum font size". It works, and now my web pages display in Firefox at 16
    pt. or larger, just as I require. You're a genius to steer me to the answer
    so quickly!

    RalphB

  4. Re: Is there a way to make Text Size sticky?

    RalphB wrote:
    > "Rinaldi J. Montessi" wrote in message
    > news4WdnXCeZpYsXS_bnZ2dnUVZ_siknZ2d@mozilla.org...
    >> RalphB wrote:
    >> > I use a fairly high resolution monitor setting and I am constantly
    >> > increasing the text size to make the pages more readable to my aging

    > eyes.
    >> > My choice sticks while I am on the same website but as soon as I move to

    >> > new one, the typically small (to me) text size returns. This also

    > occurs
    >> > should I open a page in a new tab or window on the _same_ website.
    >> >
    >> > I have my Font size 'Default' set to 16 pt. in Tools|Options|Content,

    > but
    >> > this seldom makes a difference, apparently, unless I select View|Page
    >> > Style|No Style, which is no easier than just redoing a Ctrl-scroll wheel
    >> > size adjustment and generally also produces an inferior layout.
    >> >
    >> > (Internet Explorer's text size preferences are sticky when one uses the
    >> > Accessibility|Ignore-font-sizes option, but of course their mere 5 font
    >> > sizes and their page displays are vastly inferior to those of Firefox's
    >> > Text-size options.) Is there any way to make my text size preferences in
    >> > Firefox sticky?

    >> There should be an option in your font settings to force pages to be
    >> rendered only in your selected font. Look for a checkbox option phrased
    >> something like "Allow Documents To Use Other Fonts" and
    >> select/de-select as appropriate.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Never try to outstubborn a cat.
    >> -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"
    >>

    > ANSWER FOUND!
    >
    > Thanks Rinaldi. Though the closest thing I found to your "Allow Documents
    > To Use Other Fonts" is found at
    > Tools|Options|Content|Font-&-Colors|Default-font and does force a font
    > choice, it does not force the point-size choice.
    >
    > However, while I was searching for "Allow Documents To Use Other Fonts" I
    > found the solution to my problem! Go to Tools|Options|Content|Font-&-Colors
    > and select the "Advanced" button. There you will see an option to select
    > "Minimum font size". It works, and now my web pages display in Firefox at 16
    > pt. or larger, just as I require. You're a genius to steer me to the answer
    > so quickly!

    Sorry I couldn't be more specific but I use SeaMonkey which is similar
    in many ways but not the same. As you had indicated your fonts were set
    to 16 it didn't occur to me to question your minimum font settings.
    With SeaMonkey those settings are on the same page.

    --
    "I love to eat them Smurfies
    Smurfies what I love to eat

  5. Re: Is there a way to make Text Size sticky?

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > RalphB wrote:
    >> I use a fairly high resolution monitor setting and I am constantly
    >> increasing the text size to make the pages more readable to my aging
    >> eyes.
    >> My choice sticks while I am on the same website but as soon as I move
    >> to a
    >> new one, the typically small (to me) text size returns. This also occurs
    >> should I open a page in a new tab or window on the _same_ website.
    >>
    >> I have my Font size 'Default' set to 16 pt. in Tools|Options|Content,
    >> but
    >> this seldom makes a difference, apparently, unless I select View|Page
    >> Style|No Style, which is no easier than just redoing a Ctrl-scroll wheel
    >> size adjustment and generally also produces an inferior layout.
    >>
    >> (Internet Explorer's text size preferences are sticky when one uses the
    >> Accessibility|Ignore-font-sizes option, but of course their mere 5 font
    >> sizes and their page displays are vastly inferior to those of Firefox's
    >> Text-size options.) Is there any way to make my text size preferences in
    >> Firefox sticky?

    > There should be an option in your font settings to force pages to be
    > rendered only in your selected font. Look for a checkbox option phrased
    > something like "Allow Documents To Use Other Fonts" and
    > select/de-select as appropriate.

    You can set a minimum size for fonts. There is also an extension called
    NoSquint that is supposed to make everything larger.

+ Reply to Thread