mysterious change to prior version - Mozilla

This is a discussion on mysterious change to prior version - Mozilla ; In May I installed FF 2.0.0.3 on a new machine and everything's been working fine. Today I tried to play a video at cbs.com and was told I was missing a plug-in. I clicked the button to install the missing ...

  1. mysterious change to prior version

    In May I installed FF 2.0.0.3 on a new machine and everything's been
    working fine.

    Today I tried to play a video at cbs.com and was told I was missing a
    plug-in. I clicked the button to install the missing plug-in and Real
    Player installed. When I restarted FF, it was version
    1.5.something-or-other. I re-ran the 2.0.0.3 install file and
    everything appears to be back to normal. Also, I can now successfully
    play the video at cbs.com.

    Any idea why FF reverted back to a prior version? The only version ever
    installed on this machine was 2.0.0.3.

    Thanks,
    --Charlene

    --
    Law of the Result: When you try to prove to someone that a machine
    won't work, it will.

    email perronnellec at earthlink . net

  2. Re: mysterious change to prior version

    Charlene Charette wrote:
    > In May I installed FF 2.0.0.3 on a new machine and everything's been
    > working fine.
    >
    > Today I tried to play a video at cbs.com and was told I was missing a
    > plug-in. I clicked the button to install the missing plug-in and Real
    > Player installed. When I restarted FF, it was version
    > 1.5.something-or-other. I re-ran the 2.0.0.3 install file and
    > everything appears to be back to normal. Also, I can now successfully
    > play the video at cbs.com.
    >
    > Any idea why FF reverted back to a prior version? The only version ever
    > installed on this machine was 2.0.0.3.

    I recall encountering the same issue quite a while ago. IIRC, the Real
    Player installer included an old version of FF.

    Note also that FF 2.0.0.6 is now available. On the menu bar, Help ->
    Check for Updates.

    --
    Alex K.

  3. Re: mysterious change to prior version

    Alex K. wrote:
    > Charlene Charette wrote:
    >> In May I installed FF 2.0.0.3 on a new machine and everything's been
    >> working fine.
    >>
    >> Today I tried to play a video at cbs.com and was told I was missing a
    >> plug-in. I clicked the button to install the missing plug-in and Real
    >> Player installed. When I restarted FF, it was version
    >> 1.5.something-or-other. I re-ran the 2.0.0.3 install file and
    >> everything appears to be back to normal. Also, I can now successfully
    >> play the video at cbs.com.
    >>
    >> Any idea why FF reverted back to a prior version? The only version ever
    >> installed on this machine was 2.0.0.3.

    > I recall encountering the same issue quite a while ago. IIRC, the Real
    > Player installer included an old version of FF.

    This is what I suspected, but wasn't sure.

    > Note also that FF 2.0.0.6 is now available. On the menu bar, Help ->
    > Check for Updates.

    Thanks,
    --Charlene

    --
    Law of the Result: When you try to prove to someone that a machine
    won't work, it will.

    email perronnellec at earthlink . net

+ Reply to Thread