No sound on my website with Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on No sound on my website with Firefox - Mozilla ; Equipment: Windows XP 2 / Linksys firewall / CA Suite 2007 / Firefox / Microsoft IE 7 Today- as an experiment, I downloaded & installed Firefox as an alternative browser. I also have MS Internet Explorer, from which I switched ...

  1. No sound on my website with Firefox

    Equipment: Windows XP 2 / Linksys firewall / CA Suite 2007 / Firefox /
    Microsoft IE 7

    Today- as an experiment, I downloaded & installed Firefox as an alternative
    browser.
    I also have MS Internet Explorer, from which I switched to Firefox today
    and discovered
    that on viewing my remote website , [ www.latinmass.bravepages.com] the
    sound [from all my Multimedia files] were silent.
    This does not occur when viewing my remote site with MS IE 7.

    Please, what may I do to correct this.

    Thank you

    Dr. Gordon J. Fimio

  2. Re: No sound on my website with Firefox

    Queensway wrote:
    > Equipment: Windows XP 2 / Linksys firewall / CA Suite 2007 / Firefox /
    > Microsoft IE 7
    >
    > Today- as an experiment, I downloaded & installed Firefox as an alternative
    > browser.
    > I also have MS Internet Explorer, from which I switched to Firefox today
    > and discovered
    > that on viewing my remote website , [ www.latinmass.bravepages.com] the
    > sound [from all my Multimedia files] were silent.
    > This does not occur when viewing my remote site with MS IE 7.
    >
    > Please, what may I do to correct this.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Dr. Gordon J. Fimio

    you're using something called bgsound. This is only
    available for IE and other MS products. FF doesn't
    recognize bgsound, so you have to drop bgsound for something
    else.

    OR, install greasemonkey: http://www.greasespot.net/, then
    install IE Media Mimic: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: No sound on my website with Firefox

    is an IE proprietary element, not an html standard. See
    http://www.htmlref.com/reference/appa/tag_bgsound.htm

    Neither Firefox nor Safari support this element although Opera does.

    Don

  4. Re: No sound on my website with Firefox

    What Peter Potamus said about the bgsound element, but:

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/notjustie.html

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.

  5. Re: No sound on my website with Firefox

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Queensway wrote:
    >> Equipment: Windows XP 2 / Linksys firewall / CA Suite 2007 / Firefox /
    >> Microsoft IE 7
    >>
    >> Today- as an experiment, I downloaded & installed Firefox as an
    >> alternative browser.
    >> I also have MS Internet Explorer, from which I switched to Firefox
    >> today and discovered
    >> that on viewing my remote website , [ www.latinmass.bravepages.com]
    >> the sound [from all my Multimedia files] were silent.
    >> This does not occur when viewing my remote site with MS IE 7.
    >>
    >> Please, what may I do to correct this.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> Dr. Gordon J. Fimio
    >>

    > you're using something called bgsound. This is only available for IE
    > and other MS products. FF doesn't recognize bgsound, so you have to
    > drop bgsound for something else.
    >
    > OR, install greasemonkey: http://www.greasespot.net/, then install IE
    > Media Mimic: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278

    Stop Autoplay changes bgsound tags to embed tags and enables playing of
    background sound in pages. It also gives you control of when and if the
    sound plays.

  6. Re: No sound on my website with Firefox

    EE wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Queensway wrote:
    >>> Equipment: Windows XP 2 / Linksys firewall / CA Suite 2007 / Firefox /
    >>> Microsoft IE 7
    >>>
    >>> Today- as an experiment, I downloaded & installed Firefox as an
    >>> alternative browser.
    >>> I also have MS Internet Explorer, from which I switched to Firefox
    >>> today and discovered
    >>> that on viewing my remote website , [ www.latinmass.bravepages.com]
    >>> the sound [from all my Multimedia files] were silent.
    >>> This does not occur when viewing my remote site with MS IE 7.
    >>>
    >>> Please, what may I do to correct this.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you
    >>>
    >>> Dr. Gordon J. Fimio
    >>>

    >> you're using something called bgsound. This is only available for IE
    >> and other MS products. FF doesn't recognize bgsound, so you have to
    >> drop bgsound for something else.
    >>
    >> OR, install greasemonkey: http://www.greasespot.net/, then install IE
    >> Media Mimic: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278
    >>

    > Stop Autoplay changes bgsound tags to embed tags and enables playing of
    > background sound in pages. It also gives you control of when and if the
    > sound plays.

    and what pray tell is Stop Autoplay? An extension? A
    greasemonkey script? Or Other? How about a link?

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  7. Re: No sound on my website with Firefox

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > EE wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> you're using something called bgsound. This is only available for IE
    >>> and other MS products. FF doesn't recognize bgsound, so you have to
    >>> drop bgsound for something else.
    >>>
    >>> OR, install greasemonkey: http://www.greasespot.net/, then install IE
    >>> Media Mimic: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278
    >>>

    >> Stop Autoplay changes bgsound tags to embed tags and enables playing of
    >> background sound in pages. It also gives you control of when and if the
    >> sound plays.

    > and what pray tell is Stop Autoplay? An extension? A
    > greasemonkey script? Or Other? How about a link?

    The first hit, "Stop Autoplay :: Firefox Add-ons", takes you to:

    Stop Autoplay 0.5

    "Disable the autoplay of the embedded music and movie (mp3, wma, wmv,
    avi, mpg, rm...). The users have 2 modes to choose:

    1) Disable only the autostart of the embedded media. The users can press
    the play button of the controller to play it.

    2) Block the media when loading a page. It will be replaced by a red
    frame. Press the red frame to load and then play it.

    This extension can also convert the ie-only tag "bgsound" to "embed".
    Works with:

    * Firefox: 1.5 2.0.0.*"

    --
    Alex K.