BBC video player - Mozilla

This is a discussion on BBC video player - Mozilla ; If I start on BBC video player from a link eg here http://news.bbc.co.uk/ it asks me for details - which quality, which player? If I use it again later without closing the page it does not ask. If I close ...

  1. BBC video player

    If I start on BBC video player from a link eg here http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    it asks me for details - which quality, which player?
    If I use it again later without closing the page it does not ask. If I close
    the page or Firefox, it asks me next time.
    I have cookies allowed using Cookie Button, but I have tried normally
    allowing cookies, but it's just the same.
    With IE it remembers.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  2. Re: BBC video player

    On 02-08-2007 12:15 CET, Jim S composed this enchanting statement:
    > If I start on BBC video player from a link eg here http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    > it asks me for details - which quality, which player?
    > If I use it again later without closing the page it does not ask. If I close
    > the page or Firefox, it asks me next time.
    > I have cookies allowed using Cookie Button, but I have tried normally
    > allowing cookies, but it's just the same.
    > With IE it remembers.

    Confirm behaviour. Also, the Real Player plug-in causes abends at
    various times after displaying a video.

    Aboutlugins shows:

    RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-in (Mac)

    File name: RealPlayer Plugin
    RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-in

    MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
    audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin RealPlayer rpm Yes

    --
    Kind regards,
    Melchert

  3. Re: BBC video player

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:10:21 +0200, Melchert Fruitema wrote:

    > On 02-08-2007 12:15 CET, Jim S composed this enchanting statement:
    >> If I start on BBC video player from a link eg here http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    >> it asks me for details - which quality, which player?
    >> If I use it again later without closing the page it does not ask. If I close
    >> the page or Firefox, it asks me next time.
    >> I have cookies allowed using Cookie Button, but I have tried normally
    >> allowing cookies, but it's just the same.
    >> With IE it remembers.
    >>

    > Confirm behaviour. Also, the Real Player plug-in causes abends at
    > various times after displaying a video.
    >
    > Aboutlugins shows:
    >
    > RealPlayer(tm) G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-in (Mac)
    >
    > File name: RealPlayer Plugin
    > RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-in
    >
    > MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
    > audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin RealPlayer rpm Yes

    There's another one further down.

    BTW Opera works ok.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  4. Re: BBC video player

    On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:15:28 +0100, Jim S wrote:

    > If I start on BBC video player from a link eg here http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    > it asks me for details - which quality, which player?
    > If I use it again later without closing the page it does not ask. If I close
    > the page or Firefox, it asks me next time.
    > I have cookies allowed using Cookie Button, but I have tried normally
    > allowing cookies, but it's just the same.
    > With IE it remembers.

    There has been no further comment on this since my OP on 2nd August.
    Can nothing be done?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  5. Re: BBC video player

    Jim S wrote:
    > On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:15:28 +0100, Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> If I start on BBC video player from a link eg here http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    >> it asks me for details - which quality, which player?
    >> If I use it again later without closing the page it does not ask. If I close
    >> the page or Firefox, it asks me next time.
    >> I have cookies allowed using Cookie Button, but I have tried normally
    >> allowing cookies, but it's just the same.
    >> With IE it remembers.

    > There has been no further comment on this since my OP on 2nd August.
    > Can nothing be done?

    Doesn't happen to me unless I use a clean profile.
    Why not try deleting all the bbc cookies (using the cookie viewer) and
    starting from scratch?

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

  6. Re: BBC video player

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:10:01 +0100, Robert M Jones wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:15:28 +0100, Jim S wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I start on BBC video player from a link eg here http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    >>> it asks me for details - which quality, which player?
    >>> If I use it again later without closing the page it does not ask. If I close
    >>> the page or Firefox, it asks me next time.
    >>> I have cookies allowed using Cookie Button, but I have tried normally
    >>> allowing cookies, but it's just the same.
    >>> With IE it remembers.

    >> There has been no further comment on this since my OP on 2nd August.
    >> Can nothing be done?

    > Doesn't happen to me unless I use a clean profile.
    > Why not try deleting all the bbc cookies (using the cookie viewer) and
    > starting from scratch?

    Hi Robert
    I just went through that as you suggested, but it makes no difference
    EXCEPT it now wants to open in a tab rather than a pop-up window and
    shrinks the whole firefox window down to 800 x 600 size and STILL asks for
    approval.
    Are you using 2.0.0.6?
    This never happened before.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  7. Re: BBC video player

    Jim S wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:10:01 +0100, Robert M Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:

    >>> There has been no further comment on this since my OP on 2nd August.
    >>> Can nothing be done?

    >> Doesn't happen to me unless I use a clean profile.
    >> Why not try deleting all the bbc cookies (using the cookie viewer) and
    >> starting from scratch?

    > Hi Robert
    > I just went through that as you suggested, but it makes no difference
    > EXCEPT it now wants to open in a tab rather than a pop-up window and
    > shrinks the whole firefox window down to 800 x 600 size and STILL asks for
    > approval.
    > Are you using 2.0.0.6?
    > This never happened before.

    Yes. It does do this to me if I play the Listen Live/News and Analysis
    link at the top of the page (which uses Real Player) and again if I play
    a normal video link after that, but once I have done that once, it holds
    the setting, even I close and re-open Firefox. I have had your problem
    in the past but can't remember what solved it.

    Have you tried initiating a Preferences session while the video player
    is open, and then closing it using the X button while holding down Ctrl?
    No idea whether that helps.

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk
    Free trial of Mailwasher Pro - effective email spam filter - (commission
    goes to our partners in Bulgaria)
    http://fta.firetrust.com/index.cgi?id=420

  8. Re: BBC video player

    Jim S wrote:
    > On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:15:28 +0100, Jim S wrote:
    >
    >> If I start on BBC video player from a link eg here http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    >> it asks me for details - which quality, which player?
    >> If I use it again later without closing the page it does not ask. If I close
    >> the page or Firefox, it asks me next time.
    >> I have cookies allowed using Cookie Button, but I have tried normally
    >> allowing cookies, but it's just the same.
    >> With IE it remembers.

    > There has been no further comment on this since my OP on 2nd August.
    > Can nothing be done?

    I have FF 2.0.0.6 and the BBC page sets 4 cookies after
    responding to the query.
    The 4 cookies are BBC-UID, BBCNewsAudience, BBCMediaSelector, &
    BBCNewsAudcWght.
    The expiration dates are approximately one year except for
    BBCNewsAudience, which is two years.

    If I close and reopen FF, it finds the cookies and BBC videos play.

    Are you running some sort of ad blocker, either as an add-on to
    FF or is one running in the background?

  9. Re: BBC video player

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:57:13 -0600, Alan wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:
    >> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:15:28 +0100, Jim S wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I start on BBC video player from a link eg here http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    >>> it asks me for details - which quality, which player?
    >>> If I use it again later without closing the page it does not ask. If I close
    >>> the page or Firefox, it asks me next time.
    >>> I have cookies allowed using Cookie Button, but I have tried normally
    >>> allowing cookies, but it's just the same.
    >>> With IE it remembers.

    >> There has been no further comment on this since my OP on 2nd August.
    >> Can nothing be done?

    > I have FF 2.0.0.6 and the BBC page sets 4 cookies after
    > responding to the query.
    > The 4 cookies are BBC-UID, BBCNewsAudience, BBCMediaSelector, &
    > BBCNewsAudcWght.
    > The expiration dates are approximately one year except for
    > BBCNewsAudience, which is two years.
    >
    > If I close and reopen FF, it finds the cookies and BBC videos play.
    >
    > Are you running some sort of ad blocker, either as an add-on to
    > FF or is one running in the background?

    Hello Alan
    I have made some progress since I last posted.
    I have the 4 cookies you mentioned and I can now open the video player
    without being asked for permission every time.
    It now opens as a tab rather than a pop-up which I suppose is better than
    nothing.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  10. Re: BBC video player

    Jim S wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:57:13 -0600, Alan wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:

    >>> There has been no further comment on this since my OP on 2nd August.
    >>> Can nothing be done?

    >> I have FF 2.0.0.6 and the BBC page sets 4 cookies after
    >> responding to the query.
    >> The 4 cookies are BBC-UID, BBCNewsAudience, BBCMediaSelector, &
    >> BBCNewsAudcWght.
    >> The expiration dates are approximately one year except for
    >> BBCNewsAudience, which is two years.
    >>
    >> If I close and reopen FF, it finds the cookies and BBC videos play.
    >>
    >> Are you running some sort of ad blocker, either as an add-on to
    >> FF or is one running in the background?

    > Hello Alan
    > I have made some progress since I last posted.
    > I have the 4 cookies you mentioned and I can now open the video player
    > without being asked for permission every time.
    > It now opens as a tab rather than a pop-up which I suppose is better than
    > nothing.

    Do you have Tab Mix Plus addon installed?

  11. Re: BBC video player

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:05:02 -0600, Alan wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:

    >>> I have FF 2.0.0.6 and the BBC page sets 4 cookies after
    >>> responding to the query.
    >>> The 4 cookies are BBC-UID, BBCNewsAudience, BBCMediaSelector, &
    >>> BBCNewsAudcWght.
    >>> The expiration dates are approximately one year except for
    >>> BBCNewsAudience, which is two years.
    >>>
    >>> If I close and reopen FF, it finds the cookies and BBC videos play.
    >>>
    >>> Are you running some sort of ad blocker, either as an add-on to
    >>> FF or is one running in the background?

    >> Hello Alan
    >> I have made some progress since I last posted.
    >> I have the 4 cookies you mentioned and I can now open the video player
    >> without being asked for permission every time.
    >> It now opens as a tab rather than a pop-up which I suppose is better than
    >> nothing.

    > Do you have Tab Mix Plus addon installed?

    Yes. Why?
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

  12. Re: BBC video player

    Jim S wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:05:02 -0600, Alan wrote:
    >
    >> Jim S wrote:

    >>> Hello Alan
    >>> I have made some progress since I last posted.
    >>> I have the 4 cookies you mentioned and I can now open the video player
    >>> without being asked for permission every time.
    >>> It now opens as a tab rather than a pop-up which I suppose is better than
    >>> nothing.

    >> Do you have Tab Mix Plus addon installed?

    > Yes. Why?

    One of the Tab Mix Plus settings will open your BBC player in a
    tab rather than a popup.
    The setting is under Links | Javascript popups within Tab Mix
    Plus Options.

  13. Re: BBC video player

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:12:16 -0600, Alan wrote:

    > Jim S wrote:

    >>> Do you have Tab Mix Plus addon installed?

    >> Yes. Why?

    > One of the Tab Mix Plus settings will open your BBC player in a
    > tab rather than a popup.
    > The setting is under Links | Javascript popups within Tab Mix
    > Plus Options.

    Got it. 'Allow resized pop-ups' seems to do the trick.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

+ Reply to Thread