Strange Message - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Strange Message - Mozilla ; Has anyone else experienced this --- After updating Firefox 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6 on XP at the browser restart the web page that came up was not my home page but a page that was blank (white background)except for a large ...

  1. Strange Message

    Has anyone else experienced this ---

    After updating Firefox 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6 on XP at the browser restart the
    web page that came up was not my home page but a page that was blank (white
    background)except for a large bold message in black in the left corner that
    said It works!

    The message disappeared after closing Firefox and re-starting it. Everything
    seems to be working with Firefox and other programs as far as I can tell.

    Has anybody else experienced this? Should I be worried about a Trojan or
    something?

    Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

  2. Re: Strange Message

    On 8/2/2007 12:28 AM, Thunderbird leader pshkmls by teletype announced:
    > Has anyone else experienced this ---
    >
    > After updating Firefox 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6 on XP at the browser restart the
    > web page that came up was not my home page but a page that was blank (white
    > background)except for a large bold message in black in the left corner that
    > said It works!
    >
    > The message disappeared after closing Firefox and re-starting it. Everything
    > seems to be working with Firefox and other programs as far as I can tell.
    >
    > Has anybody else experienced this? Should I be worried about a Trojan or
    > something?
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

    This is normal. Fx is set during install to do a single onetime self
    test by browsing to a confirmation message page. Your good to go based
    on the message you quoted. Happy browsing.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  3. Re: Strange Message

    pshkmls wrote:
    > Has anyone else experienced this ---
    >
    > After updating Firefox 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6 on XP at the browser restart the
    > web page that came up was not my home page but a page that was blank (white
    > background)except for a large bold message in black in the left corner that
    > said It works!
    >
    > The message disappeared after closing Firefox and re-starting it. Everything
    > seems to be working with Firefox and other programs as far as I can tell.
    >
    > Has anybody else experienced this? Should I be worried about a Trojan or
    > something?
    >
    > Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

    When you upgrade Firefox, the first time after the upgrade it usually displays
    a "congratulations" page instead of, or in addition to, your home page.

    If it worries you, you can disable this feature (and avoid its reoccurring
    when you'll upgrade to 2.0.0.7 or 3.0) as follows:

    1. Type about:config in the URL bar and hit Enter.
    2. Enter "startup.homepage" (without the quotes) in the Filter box.
    3. Double-click browser.startup.homepage_override.url and set its value to the
    empty string. Accept the new (empty) value with OK.
    4. Repeat for browser.startup.homepage_welcome.url

    These are the URLs from which the browser loads the page in question, and
    another one used in similar but slightly different circumstances. Setting them
    to the empty string disables the feature. :-)

    These settings are remembered in your profile, together with your preferences.
    They are saved (like your preferences) from one version to the next.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    "We are upping our standards ... so up yours."
    -- Pat Paulsen for President, 1988.

  4. Re: Strange Message

    "Tony Mechelynck" wrote in message
    news:vbOdnRvW7L95_CzbnZ2dnUVZ_ruqnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > pshkmls wrote:
    >> Has anyone else experienced this ---
    >>
    >> After updating Firefox 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6 on XP at the browser restart
    >> the web page that came up was not my home page but a page that was blank
    >> (white background)except for a large bold message in black in the left
    >> corner that said It works!
    >>
    >> The message disappeared after closing Firefox and re-starting it.
    >> Everything seems to be working with Firefox and other programs as far as
    >> I can tell.
    >>
    >> Has anybody else experienced this? Should I be worried about a Trojan or
    >> something?
    >>
    >> Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    >>

    > When you upgrade Firefox, the first time after the upgrade it usually
    > displays a "congratulations" page instead of, or in addition to, your home
    > page.
    >
    > If it worries you, you can disable this feature (and avoid its reoccurring
    > when you'll upgrade to 2.0.0.7 or 3.0) as follows:
    >
    > 1. Type about:config in the URL bar and hit Enter.
    > 2. Enter "startup.homepage" (without the quotes) in the Filter box.
    > 3. Double-click browser.startup.homepage_override.url and set its value to
    > the empty string. Accept the new (empty) value with OK.
    > 4. Repeat for browser.startup.homepage_welcome.url
    >
    > These are the URLs from which the browser loads the page in question, and
    > another one used in similar but slightly different circumstances. Setting
    > them to the empty string disables the feature. :-)
    >
    > These settings are remembered in your profile, together with your
    > preferences. They are saved (like your preferences) from one version to
    > the next.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Thanks. Will do that.