Drag & Search to new tab - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Drag & Search to new tab - Mozilla ; Hello people, I'm curious, I've wondered this for a long time, maybe someone has the answer: I got used to select text then drag & drop into the search bar to Google it right away. The question is that most ...

  1. Drag & Search to new tab

    Hello people,
    I'm curious, I've wondered this for a long time, maybe someone has the
    answer: I got used to select text then drag & drop into the search bar
    to Google it right away. The question is that most of these times I want
    to search in a different tab, not the current that. Is there any
    keyboard shortcut or trick for this?. I'd like to be able to drag some
    text into the search bar and have it automatically open a new tab to
    display the search results.

    Thanks in advance,

    Andrés

  2. Re: Drag & Search to new tab

    "Andrés M." wrote:
    >I'd like to be able to drag some
    >text into the search bar and have it automatically open a new tab to
    >display the search results.

    Open about:config from the URL bar and toggle the
    browser.search.openintab preference to true by double-clicking on it.

  3. Re: Drag & Search to new tab

    Alan Baxter wrote:
    > "Andrés M." wrote:
    >> I'd like to be able to drag some
    >> text into the search bar and have it automatically open a new tab to
    >> display the search results.

    > Open about:config from the URL bar and toggle the
    > browser.search.openintab preference to true by double-clicking on it.

    Thanks. That however affects all searches, and I want this behavior to
    happen only when I drag text into the search box, not whenever I type
    something. Your response was useful, but it would be nice if the search
    box could behave selectively.

  4. Re: Drag & Search to new tab

    "Alan Baxter" wrote in message
    > "Andrés M." wrote:
    >>I'd like to be able to drag some
    >>text into the search bar and have it automatically open a new tab to
    >>display the search results.

    > Open about:config from the URL bar and toggle the
    > browser.search.openintab preference to true by double-clicking on it.

    There is a really useful add-on called "right click link" which saves you
    the bother. Just highlight the bit of text and the right-click menu will
    offer to seach Google/images/news/etc. I am lost without it now.

  5. Re: Drag & Search to new tab

    Andrés M. wrote:
    > Hello people,
    > I'm curious, I've wondered this for a long time, maybe someone has the
    > answer: I got used to select text then drag & drop into the search bar
    > to Google it right away. The question is that most of these times I want
    > to search in a different tab, not the current that. Is there any
    > keyboard shortcut or trick for this?. I'd like to be able to drag some
    > text into the search bar and have it automatically open a new tab to
    > display the search results.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Andrés

    I don't use the searchbar, but what would happen if you held
    down the ctrl key as you drag and drop?

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: Drag & Search to new tab

    "chizzy" wrote:
    >There is a really useful add-on called "right click link" which saves you
    >the bother. Just highlight the bit of text and the right-click menu will
    >offer to seach Google/images/news/etc. I am lost without it now.

    In fact you don't even need to install an extension. After selecting
    the text, instead of dragging it to the search bar just right-click
    "Search xxx for yourselection". It opens the search in a new tab!

    This appears to be the default Fx behavior. Just tested it in a new
    profile. Thank you chizzy for jogging my memory about this.

  7. Re: Drag & Search to new tab

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Andrés M. wrote:
    >> Hello people,
    >> I'm curious, I've wondered this for a long time, maybe someone has the
    >> answer: I got used to select text then drag & drop into the search bar
    >> to Google it right away. The question is that most of these times I
    >> want to search in a different tab, not the current that. Is there any
    >> keyboard shortcut or trick for this?. I'd like to be able to drag some
    >> text into the search bar and have it automatically open a new tab to
    >> display the search results.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> Andrés

    > I don't use the searchbar, but what would happen if you held down the
    > ctrl key as you drag and drop?

    Wonderful!!!. It was not the ctrl key, but the alt key. It does exactly
    what I wanted. Talk about predicting user needs

  8. Re: Drag & Search to new tab

    Alan Baxter wrote:
    > "Andrés M." wrote:
    >> Alan Baxter wrote:
    >>> Open about:config from the URL bar and toggle the
    >>> browser.search.openintab preference to true by double-clicking on it.

    >> Thanks. That however affects all searches, and I want this behavior to
    >> happen only when I drag text into the search box, not whenever I type
    >> something. Your response was useful, but it would be nice if the search
    >> box could behave selectively.

    > "chizzy" wrote:
    >> There is a really useful add-on called "right click link" which saves you
    >> the bother. Just highlight the bit of text and the right-click menu will
    >> offer to seach Google/images/news/etc. I am lost without it now.

    > In fact you don't even need to install an extension. After selecting
    > the text, instead of dragging it to the search bar just right-click
    > "Search xxx for yourselection". It opens the search in a new tab!
    >
    > This appears to be the default Fx behavior. Just tested it in a new
    > profile. Thank you chizzy for jogging my memory about this.

    Thanks to both chizzy and Alan. I will stick to the alt-drag and/or
    right click --> "search for xxxx". The less extensions I have installed,
    the better

  9. Re: Drag & Search to new tab

    "Andrés M." wrote:
    >Thanks to both chizzy and Alan. I will stick to the alt-drag and/or
    >right click --> "search for xxxx". The less extensions I have installed,
    >the better

    You're welcome, Andrés. Glad to hear you have an acceptable solution.

+ Reply to Thread