Compatability - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Compatability - Mozilla ; I just wanted to see if anyone has the same problem is me. If you go to this website: http://www.wgrz.com/Sports/SportsDefault.aspx The links on the right hand side, under Eds As I see it, etc. dont work on Firefox but do ...

  1. Compatability

    I just wanted to see if anyone has the same problem is me. If you go to this
    website:

    http://www.wgrz.com/Sports/SportsDefault.aspx

    The links on the right hand side, under Eds As I see it, etc. dont work on
    Firefox but do on Internet Explorer. Why??

    Mike

  2. Re: Compatability

    Mike wrote:
    > I just wanted to see if anyone has the same problem is me. If you go to this
    > website:
    >
    > http://www.wgrz.com/Sports/SportsDefault.aspx
    >
    > The links on the right hand side, under Eds As I see it, etc. dont work on
    > Firefox but do on Internet Explorer. Why??
    >
    > Mike

    I didn't go to that site, but one possible explanation might be that they are
    not plain links (such as click
    here
    ) but, for instance, javascript links, with javascript enabled in one
    browser and not in the other. (these could be, for instance, something like
    click here)

    You may want to check the page source (Ctrl-U in Firefox), locate the markup
    around that text, and see what it looks like.

    To enable or disable Javascript in Firefox:
    (Windows) Tools => Options => Content
    (Unix) Edit => Preferences => Content
    (Mac) Firefox => Preferences => Content

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    The older a man gets, the farther he had to walk to school as a boy.

  3. Re: Compatability

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Mike wrote:
    >> I just wanted to see if anyone has the same problem is me. If you go
    >> to this website:
    >>
    >> http://www.wgrz.com/Sports/SportsDefault.aspx
    >>
    >> The links on the right hand side, under Eds As I see it, etc. dont
    >> work on Firefox but do on Internet Explorer. Why??
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    > I didn't go to that site, but one possible explanation might be that
    > they are not plain links (such as > href="http://www.example.com">click here) but, for instance,
    > javascript links, with javascript enabled in one browser and not in the
    > other. (these could be, for instance, something like > onclick=SomeFunction()>click here)
    >
    > You may want to check the page source (Ctrl-U in Firefox), locate the
    > markup around that text, and see what it looks like.
    >
    > To enable or disable Javascript in Firefox:
    > (Windows) Tools => Options => Content
    > (Unix) Edit => Preferences => Content
    > (Mac) Firefox => Preferences => Content
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    This is the code for one of the links:
    href='/sports/columnist/AsISeeIt_article.aspx?storyid=49718'>[more...]

    Do the span tags inactivate anchor tags somehow?

  4. Re: Compatability

    EE wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> Mike wrote:
    >>> I just wanted to see if anyone has the same problem is me. If you go
    >>> to this website:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.wgrz.com/Sports/SportsDefault.aspx
    >>>
    >>> The links on the right hand side, under Eds As I see it, etc. dont
    >>> work on Firefox but do on Internet Explorer. Why??
    >>>
    >>> Mike
    >>>

    >> I didn't go to that site, but one possible explanation might be that
    >> they are not plain links (such as >> href="http://www.example.com">click here) but, for instance,
    >> javascript links, with javascript enabled in one browser and not in
    >> the other. (these could be, for instance, something like >> onclick=SomeFunction()>click here)
    >>
    >> You may want to check the page source (Ctrl-U in Firefox), locate the
    >> markup around that text, and see what it looks like.
    >>
    >> To enable or disable Javascript in Firefox:
    >> (Windows) Tools => Options => Content
    >> (Unix) Edit => Preferences => Content
    >> (Mac) Firefox => Preferences => Content
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    > This is the code for one of the links:
    > > href='/sports/columnist/AsISeeIt_article.aspx?storyid=49718'>[more...]
    >

    > Do the span tags inactivate anchor tags somehow?

    doesn't seem so. _This_ kind of tags only applies whatever style rules
    include ".gtv_more" to the stuff between and . These style rules
    may appear either between in the part, or in an
    external stylesheet linked with where that has an
    href= attribute saying where that external stylesheet is found.

    But then this links to a program (which ought to generate HTML
    data from the ?storyid=49718 query string), not straight to a document (as if
    the link was to some *.htm[l] page). There are, alas, umpteen gazillion ways
    in which this "generated HTML" could be compatible with one browser and not
    another.

    I guess I'm out of my depth here. If anyone else can help solve the problem,
    please spak up.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    I get up each morning, gather my wits.
    Pick up the paper, read the obits.

    Oh, how do I know my youth is all spent?
    My get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went.
    But in spite of it all, I'm able to grin,
    And think of the places my get-up has been.
    -- Pete Seeger

  5. Re: Compatability

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > EE wrote:
    >> Tony Mechelynck wrote:

    http://www.wgrz.com/Sports/SportsDefault.aspx

    >>> I didn't go to that site, but one possible explanation might be that
    >>> they are not plain links (such as >>> href="http://www.example.com">click here) but, for instance,
    >>> javascript links, with javascript enabled in one browser and not in
    >>> the other. (these could be, for instance, something like >>> onclick=SomeFunction()>click here)
    >>>
    >>> You may want to check the page source (Ctrl-U in Firefox), locate the
    >>> markup around that text, and see what it looks like.
    >>>
    >>> To enable or disable Javascript in Firefox:
    >>> (Windows) Tools => Options => Content
    >>> (Unix) Edit => Preferences => Content
    >>> (Mac) Firefox => Preferences => Content
    >>>
    >>> Best regards,
    >>> Tony.

    >> This is the code for one of the links:
    >>

    >> Do the span tags inactivate anchor tags somehow?

    > doesn't seem so. _This_ kind of tags only applies whatever style rules
    > include ".gtv_more" to the stuff between and . These style rules
    > may appear either between in the part, or in an
    > external stylesheet linked with where that has an
    > href= attribute saying where that external stylesheet is found.
    >
    > But then this links to a program (which ought to generate HTML
    > data from the ?storyid=49718 query string), not straight to a document (as if
    > the link was to some *.htm[l] page). There are, alas, umpteen gazillion ways
    > in which this "generated HTML" could be compatible with one browser and not
    > another.
    >
    > I guess I'm out of my depth here. If anyone else can help solve the problem,
    > please spak up.

    I can only add that the entire column does not appear to be recogized.
    None of what should be links work in that column. If you click and drag
    in that column, it selects text in the far left column.

    A validation check shows 194 errors. This is undoubtedly the source
    (pun intended) of the problem, as we know that IE is incredibly
    forgiving in dealing with bad code.
    http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...tsDefault.aspx

    I would suggest the OP use Report Broken Website, under the Tools menu
    in FF, or emailing the site directly.

    --
    Alex K.

+ Reply to Thread