Java console - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Java console - Mozilla ; The new FF 2.0.0.6 update says that the existing Java Console is incompatible. I have disabled the compatibility check (until the upgrade the Toolbar Grippies), and the Java Console seems to be working. I can select it from the Tools ...

  1. Java console

    The new FF 2.0.0.6 update says that the existing Java Console is
    incompatible. I have disabled the compatibility check (until the upgrade
    the Toolbar Grippies), and the Java Console seems to be working. I can
    select it from the Tools menu. But Java console isn't an add-on, is it?
    I don't see it in the add-on list.

    I read a thread above that addresses this problem (Firefox update and
    Java console). It seems that the situation will be self-corrected if I
    just wait for the next Java update. Right? Or should I do something
    about it?

    Thanks,

    Eustace

  2. Re: Java console

    On 7/31/2007 5:20 PM, Thunderbird leader Eustace by teletype announced:
    > The new FF 2.0.0.6 update says that the existing Java Console is
    > incompatible. I have disabled the compatibility check (until the upgrade
    > the Toolbar Grippies), and the Java Console seems to be working. I can
    > select it from the Tools menu. But Java console isn't an add-on, is it?
    > I don't see it in the add-on list.
    >
    > I read a thread above that addresses this problem (Firefox update and
    > Java console). It seems that the situation will be self-corrected if I
    > just wait for the next Java update. Right? Or should I do something
    > about it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Eustace

    The Java Console is a developer accessory that ships by default with the
    Java runtime program. There is an upgrade version Java 6.0_2u available
    with the fix for the Fx bug in the prior 6.0_1u release. The bug has no
    effect on the operation of Java supporting users browsing needs.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  3. Re: Java console

    On Or About Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:20:31 -0400, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Eustace Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote
    The Following In The mozilla.support.firefox News Group:

    > The new FF 2.0.0.6 update says that the existing Java Console is
    > incompatible. I have disabled the compatibility check (until the upgrade
    > the Toolbar Grippies), and the Java Console seems to be working. I can
    > select it from the Tools menu. But Java console isn't an add-on, is it?
    > I don't see it in the add-on list.
    >
    > I read a thread above that addresses this problem (Firefox update and
    > Java console). It seems that the situation will be self-corrected if I
    > just wait for the next Java update. Right? Or should I do something
    > about it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Eustace

    go to Java.com and get the latest, should solve the problem.
    Good Luck
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

  4. Re: Java console

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 7/31/2007 5:20 PM, Thunderbird leader Eustace by teletype announced:
    >> The new FF 2.0.0.6 update says that the existing Java Console is
    >> incompatible. I have disabled the compatibility check (until the upgrade
    >> the Toolbar Grippies), and the Java Console seems to be working. I can
    >> select it from the Tools menu. But Java console isn't an add-on, is it?
    >> I don't see it in the add-on list.
    >>
    >> I read a thread above that addresses this problem (Firefox update and
    >> Java console). It seems that the situation will be self-corrected if I
    >> just wait for the next Java update. Right? Or should I do something
    >> about it?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Eustace
    >>

    > The Java Console is a developer accessory that ships by default with the
    > Java runtime program. There is an upgrade version Java 6.0_2u available
    > with the fix for the Fx bug in the prior 6.0_1u release. The bug has no
    > effect on the operation of Java supporting users browsing needs.

    Ron, I can't figure something, here. This post (the one I'm replying
    to) kicks my display into a much smaller font size than I have set.

    Your headers include:

    Greek. I guess that's because the post *you* were replying to is using
    that charset -- and hers displays with the much smaller font, too. As
    in fairly hard to read.

    Other posts from you show:

    and display as I've configured my display fonts.

    Is there a way for me to keep that from happening by my setup here,
    other than for every such post (and I've seen this before, but didn't
    look at headers) manually returning local character encoding back to
    Westen ISO 8859-1 ?

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  5. Re: Java console

    On 7/31/2007 8:25 PM, Thunderbird leader Blinky the Shark by teletype
    announced:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/31/2007 5:20 PM, Thunderbird leader Eustace by teletype announced:
    >>
    >>> The new FF 2.0.0.6 update says that the existing Java Console is
    >>> incompatible. I have disabled the compatibility check (until the upgrade
    >>> the Toolbar Grippies), and the Java Console seems to be working. I can
    >>> select it from the Tools menu. But Java console isn't an add-on, is it?
    >>> I don't see it in the add-on list.
    >>>
    >>> I read a thread above that addresses this problem (Firefox update and
    >>> Java console). It seems that the situation will be self-corrected if I
    >>> just wait for the next Java update. Right? Or should I do something
    >>> about it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Eustace
    >>>

    >> The Java Console is a developer accessory that ships by default with the
    >> Java runtime program. There is an upgrade version Java 6.0_2u available
    >> with the fix for the Fx bug in the prior 6.0_1u release. The bug has no
    >> effect on the operation of Java supporting users browsing needs.
    >>

    > Ron, I can't figure something, here. This post (the one I'm replying
    > to) kicks my display into a much smaller font size than I have set.
    >
    > Your headers include:

    > Greek. I guess that's because the post *you* were replying to is using
    > that charset -- and hers displays with the much smaller font, too. As
    > in fairly hard to read.
    >
    > Other posts from you show:

    > and display as I've configured my display fonts.
    >
    > Is there a way for me to keep that from happening by my setup here,
    > other than for every such post (and I've seen this before, but didn't
    > look at headers) manually returning local character encoding back to
    > Westen ISO 8859-1 ?

    What your seeing is a default behavior of Tb and Seamonky mail/news. I
    normally compose in HTML mode even though I send using the plan text
    option. What I just did was to run through the menus till I found . . .
    .. Ta Da . . . Character Encoding in the Options Menu. I opened the pop
    out menu and there was the *Black* dot next to Greek. I clicked UTF-8
    and were back to normal. I get the default because I chose not to force
    an encoding, thus going with the flow so the reply stands a better
    chance of matching up with the OP's installed fonts.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  6. Re: Java console

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 7/31/2007 8:25 PM, Thunderbird leader Blinky the Shark by teletype
    > announced:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 7/31/2007 5:20 PM, Thunderbird leader Eustace by teletype announced:

    >>> The Java Console is a developer accessory that ships by default with the
    >>> Java runtime program. There is an upgrade version Java 6.0_2u available
    >>> with the fix for the Fx bug in the prior 6.0_1u release. The bug has no
    >>> effect on the operation of Java supporting users browsing needs.
    >>>

    >> Ron, I can't figure something, here. This post (the one I'm replying
    >> to) kicks my display into a much smaller font size than I have set.
    >>
    >> Your headers include:

    >> Greek. I guess that's because the post *you* were replying to is using
    >> that charset -- and hers displays with the much smaller font, too. As
    >> in fairly hard to read.
    >>
    >> Other posts from you show:

    >> and display as I've configured my display fonts.
    >>
    >> Is there a way for me to keep that from happening by my setup here,
    >> other than for every such post (and I've seen this before, but didn't
    >> look at headers) manually returning local character encoding back to
    >> Westen ISO 8859-1 ?

    > What your seeing is a default behavior of Tb and Seamonky mail/news. I
    > normally compose in HTML mode even though I send using the plan text
    > option. What I just did was to run through the menus till I found . . .
    > . Ta Da . . . Character Encoding in the Options Menu. I opened the pop
    > out menu and there was the *Black* dot next to Greek. I clicked UTF-8
    > and were back to normal. I get the default because I chose not to force
    > an encoding, thus going with the flow so the reply stands a better
    > chance of matching up with the OP's installed fonts.

    That post (the one to which I'm replying) *also* triggered the tiny font
    here.

    I did finally see the checkbox in Prefs/Display/Fonts for letting
    messages change my font settings, and unchecking it returned my display
    to a readable font size (the one I've set). I don't know if that will
    *stick*, though -- if you answer this in UTF-8 again I'll be able to see
    if it does. There's also another box there under the two dropdowns for
    encoding settings about applying them to incoming mail. So far that's
    unchecked; I'm not sure what the interaction/overlap is on that checkbox
    and the first one I described. First, I want to see what happens with
    your next reply in UTF-8.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  7. Re: Java console

    On 8/1/2007 12:49 AM, Thunderbird leader Blinky the Shark by teletype
    announced:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/31/2007 8:25 PM, Thunderbird leader Blinky the Shark by teletype
    >> announced:

    >>> Ron, I can't figure something, here. This post (the one I'm replying
    >>> to) kicks my display into a much smaller font size than I have set.
    >>>
    >>> Your headers include:

    >>> Greek. I guess that's because the post *you* were replying to is using
    >>> that charset -- and hers displays with the much smaller font, too. As
    >>> in fairly hard to read.
    >>>
    >>> Other posts from you show:

    >>> and display as I've configured my display fonts.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way for me to keep that from happening by my setup here,
    >>> other than for every such post (and I've seen this before, but didn't
    >>> look at headers) manually returning local character encoding back to
    >>> Westen ISO 8859-1 ?
    >>>

    >> What your seeing is a default behavior of Tb and Seamonky mail/news. I
    >> normally compose in HTML mode even though I send using the plan text
    >> option. What I just did was to run through the menus till I found . . .
    >> . Ta Da . . . Character Encoding in the Options Menu. I opened the pop
    >> out menu and there was the *Black* dot next to Greek. I clicked UTF-8
    >> and were back to normal. I get the default because I chose not to force
    >> an encoding, thus going with the flow so the reply stands a better
    >> chance of matching up with the OP's installed fonts.8859-1
    >>

    > That post (the one to which I'm replying) *also* triggered the tiny font
    > here.
    >
    > I did finally see the checkbox in Prefs/Display/Fonts for letting
    > messages change my font settings, and unchecking it returned my display
    > to a readable font size (the one I've set). I don't know if that will
    > *stick*, though -- if you answer this in UTF-8 again I'll be able to see
    > if it does. There's also another box there under the two dropdowns for
    > encoding settings about applying them to incoming mail. So far that's
    > unchecked; I'm not sure what the interaction/overlap is on that checkbox
    > and the first one I described. First, I want to see what happens with
    > your next reply in UTF-8.

    OK I see you replied using the western ISO 8859-1 encoding and I am
    manually setting the UTF-8 encoding again.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  8. Re: Java console

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 8/1/2007 12:49 AM, Thunderbird leader Blinky the Shark by teletype
    > announced:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 7/31/2007 8:25 PM, Thunderbird leader Blinky the Shark by teletype
    >>> announced:

    >>> What your seeing is a default behavior of Tb and Seamonky mail/news. I
    >>> normally compose in HTML mode even though I send using the plan text
    >>> option. What I just did was to run through the menus till I found . . .
    >>> . Ta Da . . . Character Encoding in the Options Menu. I opened the pop
    >>> out menu and there was the *Black* dot next to Greek. I clicked UTF-8
    >>> and were back to normal. I get the default because I chose not to force
    >>> an encoding, thus going with the flow so the reply stands a better
    >>> chance of matching up with the OP's installed fonts.8859-1
    >>>

    >> That post (the one to which I'm replying) *also* triggered the tiny font
    >> here.
    >>
    >> I did finally see the checkbox in Prefs/Display/Fonts for letting
    >> messages change my font settings, and unchecking it returned my display
    >> to a readable font size (the one I've set). I don't know if that will
    >> *stick*, though -- if you answer this in UTF-8 again I'll be able to see
    >> if it does. There's also another box there under the two dropdowns for
    >> encoding settings about applying them to incoming mail. So far that's
    >> unchecked; I'm not sure what the interaction/overlap is on that checkbox
    >> and the first one I described. First, I want to see what happens with
    >> your next reply in UTF-8.
    >>

    > OK I see you replied using the western ISO 8859-1 encoding and I am
    > manually setting the UTF-8 encoding again.

    And I'm looking at your post in the font size I've specified.

    *But* after I sent my last post I looked at an earlier post of yours and
    it was still tiny-fonted, even though I'd unchecked the (paraphrase)
    "let messages change font" box. So I checked the box about applying my
    encoding to incoming messages, looked at that tiny-fonted post again and
    it was displayed according to my size setting. I don't at this point
    know of *both* of those setting have to be like this (unchecked let
    messages change font and checked use my encoding on incoming), or if
    just the latter setting alone was the secret. But at least I seem to
    have things working now so I don't have to get out the magnifying glass
    to see what you're talking about. Thanks a lot.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  9. Re: Java console

    On 8/1/2007 2:18 AM, Thunderbird leader Blinky the Shark by teletype
    announced:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/1/2007 12:49 AM, Thunderbird leader Blinky the Shark by teletype
    >> announced:

    >>> That post (the one to which I'm replying) *also* triggered the tiny font
    >>> here.
    >>>
    >>> I did finally see the checkbox in Prefs/Display/Fonts for letting
    >>> messages change my font settings, and unchecking it returned my display
    >>> to a readable font size (the one I've set). I don't know if that will
    >>> *stick*, though -- if you answer this in UTF-8 again I'll be able to see
    >>> if it does. There's also another box there under the two dropdowns for
    >>> encoding settings about applying them to incoming mail. So far that's
    >>> unchecked; I'm not sure what the interaction/overlap is on that checkbox
    >>> and the first one I described. First, I want to see what happens with
    >>> your next reply in UTF-8.
    >>>

    >> OK I see you replied using the western ISO 8859-1 encoding and I am
    >> manually setting the UTF-8 encoding again.
    >> And I'm looking at your post in the font size I've specified.
    >>
    >> *But* after I sent my last post I looked at an earlier post of yours and
    >> it was still tiny-fonted, even though I'd unchecked the (paraphrase)
    >> "let messages change font" box. So I checked the box about applying my
    >> encoding to incoming messages, looked at that tiny-fonted post again and
    >> it was displayed according to my size setting. I don't at this point
    >> know of *both* of those setting have to be like this (unchecked let
    >> messages change font and checked use my encoding on incoming), or if
    >> just the latter setting alone was the secret. But at least I seem to
    >> have things working now so I don't have to get out the magnifying glass
    >> to see what you're talking about. Thanks a lot.

    I think the "Let messages change font" pertains to the font family, such
    as Ariel, Tahoma, etc. The other about encoding was triggering a shift
    from San Serif to Serif on my system which was from Tahoma to Georgia,
    my selections for San Serif and Serif respectively. What this has done
    is address a solution to a discussion in a recent thread involving
    Phillip Jones replying to an Italian poster with Seamonkey. Untill now
    I had not explored the ability to set a per reply over ride of the
    default behavior.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  10. Re: Java console

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 8/1/2007 2:18 AM, Thunderbird leader Blinky the Shark by teletype
    > announced:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 8/1/2007 12:49 AM, Thunderbird leader Blinky the Shark by teletype
    >>> announced:

    >>> OK I see you replied using the western ISO 8859-1 encoding and I am
    >>> manually setting the UTF-8 encoding again.
    >>> And I'm looking at your post in the font size I've specified.
    >>>
    >>> *But* after I sent my last post I looked at an earlier post of yours and
    >>> it was still tiny-fonted, even though I'd unchecked the (paraphrase)
    >>> "let messages change font" box. So I checked the box about applying my
    >>> encoding to incoming messages, looked at that tiny-fonted post again and
    >>> it was displayed according to my size setting. I don't at this point
    >>> know of *both* of those setting have to be like this (unchecked let
    >>> messages change font and checked use my encoding on incoming), or if
    >>> just the latter setting alone was the secret. But at least I seem to
    >>> have things working now so I don't have to get out the magnifying glass
    >>> to see what you're talking about. Thanks a lot.
    >>>

    > I think the "Let messages change font" pertains to the font family, such
    > as Ariel, Tahoma, etc. The other about encoding was triggering a shift
    > from San Serif to Serif on my system which was from Tahoma to Georgia,
    > my selections for San Serif and Serif respectively. What this has done
    > is address a solution to a discussion in a recent thread involving
    > Phillip Jones replying to an Italian poster with Seamonkey. Untill now
    > I had not explored the ability to set a per reply over ride of the
    > default behavior.

    There could've been a change in font, too -- it was too small for me to
    tell if it was the same or a different one of the same type. I'll play
    around with combinations of that setting and the "incoming encoding"
    setting and see what's actually doing the job for me. Thanks, again,
    Ron for input (and test posts ) on this.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  11. Re: Java console

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 7/31/2007 5:20 PM, Thunderbird leader Eustace by teletype announced:
    >> The new FF 2.0.0.6 update says that the existing Java Console is
    >> incompatible. I have disabled the compatibility check (until the upgrade
    >> the Toolbar Grippies), and the Java Console seems to be working. I can
    >> select it from the Tools menu. But Java console isn't an add-on, is it?
    >> I don't see it in the add-on list.
    >>
    >> I read a thread above that addresses this problem (Firefox update and
    >> Java console). It seems that the situation will be self-corrected if I
    >> just wait for the next Java update. Right? Or should I do something
    >> about it?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Eustace
    >>

    > The Java Console is a developer accessory that ships by default with the
    > Java runtime program. There is an upgrade version Java 6.0_2u available
    > with the fix for the Fx bug in the prior 6.0_1u release. The bug has no
    > effect on the operation of Java supporting users browsing needs.

    For what its worth, when I updated to FF 2.0.0.6, I too, saw the message
    that the Java Console was not compatible. I *do* have "Java(TM)
    Platform SE 6 U2" installed.

    However, the Java Console appears to work fine, at least as far as I can
    tell. At least, I can push the buttons listed in the help commands, and
    it will list mem usage, etc. So, I'm not so sure what is going on, at
    this point.

    --
    Alex K.

  12. Re: Java console

    On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:25:05 -0700, in message ,
    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Ron, I can't figure something, here. This post (the one I'm replying
    > to) kicks my display into a much smaller font size than I have set.
    >
    > Your headers include:

    > Greek. I guess that's because the post *you* were replying to is using
    > that charset -- and hers displays with the much smaller font, too. As
    > in fairly hard to read.

    That's curious. Those messages display in a normal font size here,
    the same size as other plain text messages.

    It cannot be the sender setting the font size, as the message is
    plain text not HTML, and plan text does not specify font sizes.

    Go to "Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Formatting", and click
    the "Fonts" button. Each entry in the "Fonts for" drop-down list
    can have different font size settings, both for "proportional"
    and for "monospace". I suspect that your "Fonts for" "Greek"
    has a smaller font-size setting for one of these than your
    "Fonts for" "Western".

    --
    Cheers
    Ralph

  13. Re: Java console

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:25:05 -0700, in message ,
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> Ron, I can't figure something, here. This post (the one I'm replying
    >> to) kicks my display into a much smaller font size than I have set.
    >>
    >> Your headers include:

    >> Greek. I guess that's because the post *you* were replying to is using
    >> that charset -- and hers displays with the much smaller font, too. As
    >> in fairly hard to read.

    > That's curious. Those messages display in a normal font size here,
    > the same size as other plain text messages.
    >
    > It cannot be the sender setting the font size, as the message is
    > plain text not HTML, and plan text does not specify font sizes.

    Hi, Ralph.

    Right on the plain text. That's why it was so puzzling. I first saw it
    on the OP for this thread, and then in Ron's replies to it (and then to me).

    > Go to "Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Formatting", and click
    > the "Fonts" button. Each entry in the "Fonts for" drop-down list
    > can have different font size settings, both for "proportional"
    > and for "monospace". I suspect that your "Fonts for" "Greek"
    > has a smaller font-size setting for one of these than your
    > "Fonts for" "Western".

    FWiW, It was also doing that (making my font too small to read) for
    UTF-8 posts.

    As you may have read elsewhere in the thread, I did indeed play around
    with the fonts and encoding checkboxes on the Display/Fonts dialog page,
    those late last night my time. I seem to have things working now.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  14. Re: Java console

    On 8/1/2007 12:57 PM, Thunderbird leader Blinky the Shark by teletype
    announced:
    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:25:05 -0700, in message ,
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> Ron, I can't figure something, here. This post (the one I'm replying
    >>> to) kicks my display into a much smaller font size than I have set.
    >>>
    >>> Your headers include:

    >>> Greek. I guess that's because the post *you* were replying to is using
    >>> that charset -- and hers displays with the much smaller font, too. As
    >>> in fairly hard to read.
    >>>

    >> That's curious. Those messages display in a normal font size here,
    >> the same size as other plain text messages.
    >>
    >> It cannot be the sender setting the font size, as the message is
    >> plain text not HTML, and plan text does not specify font sizes.
    >>

    > Hi, Ralph.
    >
    > Right on the plain text. That's why it was so puzzling. I first saw it
    > on the OP for this thread, and then in Ron's replies to it (and then to me).
    >

    >> Go to "Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Formatting", and click
    >> the "Fonts" button. Each entry in the "Fonts for" drop-down list
    >> can have different font size settings, both for "proportional"
    >> and for "monospace". I suspect that your "Fonts for" "Greek"
    >> has a smaller font-size setting for one of these than your
    >> "Fonts for" "Western".
    >>

    > FWiW, It was also doing that (making my font too small to read) for
    > UTF-8 posts.
    >
    > As you may have read elsewhere in the thread, I did indeed play around
    > with the fonts and encoding checkboxes on the Display/Fonts dialog page,
    > those late last night my time. I seem to have things working now.

    Ralph is actually on the right track in his reply. Take a look with
    about:config and get to the section for fonts. There are lots of OOB
    defaults sizes and many are set to 13 px, though the oriental ones tend
    to be 16 to 18 px. Or you could use the GUI and in the drop down in the
    fonts setter pick some of the encodings other than western or UTF and
    adjust the defaults to your liking. This method will require to
    restoring your preferred western encoding before closing the dialog.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  15. Re: Java console

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 8/1/2007 12:57 PM, Thunderbird leader Blinky the Shark by teletype
    > announced:
    >> Ralph Fox wrote:

    >>> That's curious. Those messages display in a normal font size here,
    >>> the same size as other plain text messages.
    >>>
    >>> It cannot be the sender setting the font size, as the message is
    >>> plain text not HTML, and plan text does not specify font sizes.
    >>>

    >> Hi, Ralph.
    >>
    >> Right on the plain text. That's why it was so puzzling. I first saw it
    >> on the OP for this thread, and then in Ron's replies to it (and then to me).
    >>
    >>> Go to "Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Formatting", and click
    >>> the "Fonts" button. Each entry in the "Fonts for" drop-down list
    >>> can have different font size settings, both for "proportional"
    >>> and for "monospace". I suspect that your "Fonts for" "Greek"
    >>> has a smaller font-size setting for one of these than your
    >>> "Fonts for" "Western".
    >>>

    >> FWiW, It was also doing that (making my font too small to read) for
    >> UTF-8 posts.
    >>
    >> As you may have read elsewhere in the thread, I did indeed play around
    >> with the fonts and encoding checkboxes on the Display/Fonts dialog page,
    >> those late last night my time. I seem to have things working now.
    >>

    > Ralph is actually on the right track in his reply. Take a look with
    > about:config and get to the section for fonts. There are lots of OOB
    > defaults sizes and many are set to 13 px, though the oriental ones tend
    > to be 16 to 18 px. Or you could use the GUI and in the drop down in the
    > fonts setter pick some of the encodings other than western or UTF and
    > adjust the defaults to your liking. This method will require to
    > restoring your preferred western encoding before closing the dialog.

    I just looked at those in the config editor. Since I seem to have
    things working okay now with my coarse adjustments I will keep those
    fine settings in mind should things break again. Thanks to you both.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Except in Thunderbird, which can't filter that way.

  16. Re: Java console

    On 2007-07-31 20:25 Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> On 7/31/2007 5:20 PM, Thunderbird leader Eustace by teletype announced:
    >>> The new FF 2.0.0.6 update says that the existing Java Console is
    >>> incompatible. I have disabled the compatibility check (until the
    >>> upgrade the Toolbar Grippies), and the Java Console seems to be
    >>> working. I can select it from the Tools menu. But Java console isn't
    >>> an add-on, is it? I don't see it in the add-on list.
    >>>
    >>> I read a thread above that addresses this problem (Firefox update and
    >>> Java console). It seems that the situation will be self-corrected if
    >>> I just wait for the next Java update. Right? Or should I do something
    >>> about it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Eustace
    >>>

    >> The Java Console is a developer accessory that ships by default with
    >> the Java runtime program. There is an upgrade version Java 6.0_2u
    >> available with the fix for the Fx bug in the prior 6.0_1u release. The
    >> bug has no effect on the operation of Java supporting users browsing
    >> needs.

    > Ron, I can't figure something, here. This post (the one I'm replying
    > to) kicks my display into a much smaller font size than I have set.
    >
    > Your headers include:

    > Greek. I guess that's because the post *you* were replying to is using
    > that charset -- and hers

    "his" if you were referring to me.

    displays with the much smaller font, too. As
    > in fairly hard to read.
    >
    > Other posts from you show:

    > and display as I've configured my display fonts.
    >
    > Is there a way for me to keep that from happening by my setup here,
    > other than for every such post (and I've seen this before, but didn't
    > look at headers) manually returning local character encoding back to
    > Westen ISO 8859-1 ?

    I've been using Greek encoding because I send and receive messages in
    Greek also. When reading newsgroups I have also observed that some
    messages display with bigger font and some with smaller one, and been
    using Ctrl+ or Ctrl- when I have to. For example, all messages of this
    thread displays smaller size font except for Alex K.'s and Old Gringo's
    messages at the bottom of the thread.

    In Options > Display > Fonts I haven't checked either box, and in
    Options > Display > Fonts > Fonts... I've checked to allow messages to
    use other fonts. Also I have let Minimum Font Size to None.

    I tried some combinations of checkmarks to see if I could make the 2
    messages I mentioned to display with the same font size, but didn't
    manage to achieve that. Exactly how did you manage to make all plain
    text messages to display with the same font size?

    Eustace

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

  17. Re: Java console

    Eustace wrote:
    > On 2007-07-31 20:25 Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> On 7/31/2007 5:20 PM, Thunderbird leader Eustace by teletype announced:

    >>> The Java Console is a developer accessory that ships by default with
    >>> the Java runtime program. There is an upgrade version Java 6.0_2u
    >>> available with the fix for the Fx bug in the prior 6.0_1u release. The
    >>> bug has no effect on the operation of Java supporting users browsing
    >>> needs.

    >> Ron, I can't figure something, here. This post (the one I'm replying
    >> to) kicks my display into a much smaller font size than I have set.
    >>
    >> Your headers include:

    >> Greek. I guess that's because the post *you* were replying to is using
    >> that charset -- and hers

    > "his" if you were referring to me.
    >
    > displays with the much smaller font, too. As
    >> in fairly hard to read.
    >>
    >> Other posts from you show:

    >> and display as I've configured my display fonts.
    >>
    >> Is there a way for me to keep that from happening by my setup here,
    >> other than for every such post (and I've seen this before, but didn't
    >> look at headers) manually returning local character encoding back to
    >> Westen ISO 8859-1 ?

    > I've been using Greek encoding because I send and receive messages in
    > Greek also. When reading newsgroups I have also observed that some
    > messages display with bigger font and some with smaller one, and been
    > using Ctrl+ or Ctrl- when I have to. For example, all messages of this
    > thread displays smaller size font except for Alex K.'s and Old Gringo's
    > messages at the bottom of the thread.
    >
    > In Options > Display > Fonts I haven't checked either box, and in
    > Options > Display > Fonts > Fonts... I've checked to allow messages to
    > use other fonts. Also I have let Minimum Font Size to None.
    >
    > I tried some combinations of checkmarks to see if I could make the 2
    > messages I mentioned to display with the same font size, but didn't
    > manage to achieve that. Exactly how did you manage to make all plain
    > text messages to display with the same font size?

    /At this point/ I get that consistency if I have the box about letting
    messages change fonts UNchecked and the one for applying default
    encoding to incoming messages checked.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Except in Thunderbird, which can't filter that way.

  18. Re: Java console

    On 2007-08-01 20:29 Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Eustace wrote:

    >>> Ron, I can't figure something, here. This post (the one I'm replying
    >>> to) kicks my display into a much smaller font size than I have set.
    >>>
    >>> Your headers include:

    >>> Greek. I guess that's because the post *you* were replying to is
    >>> using that charset -- and hers

    >> "his" if you were referring to me.
    > >
    >> displays with the much smaller font, too. As
    >>> in fairly hard to read.
    >>>
    >>> Other posts from you show:

    >>> and display as I've configured my display fonts.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way for me to keep that from happening by my setup here,
    >>> other than for every such post (and I've seen this before, but didn't
    >>> look at headers) manually returning local character encoding back to
    >>> Westen ISO 8859-1 ?

    >> I've been using Greek encoding because I send and receive messages in
    >> Greek also. When reading newsgroups I have also observed that some
    >> messages display with bigger font and some with smaller one, and been
    >> using Ctrl+ or Ctrl- when I have to. For example, all messages of this
    >> thread displays smaller size font except for Alex K.'s and Old
    >> Gringo's messages at the bottom of the thread.
    >>
    >> In Options > Display > Fonts I haven't checked either box, and in
    >> Options > Display > Fonts > Fonts... I've checked to allow messages to
    >> use other fonts. Also I have let Minimum Font Size to None.
    >>
    >> I tried some combinations of checkmarks to see if I could make the 2
    >> messages I mentioned to display with the same font size, but didn't
    >> manage to achieve that. Exactly how did you manage to make all plain
    >> text messages to display with the same font size?

    > /At this point/ I get that consistency if I have the box about letting
    > messages change fonts UNchecked and the one for applying default
    > encoding to incoming messages checked.

    Unfortunately your method does not work over here. So I set a Minimum
    Font Size and that has improved the situation. But I am alert for any
    undesirable side-effects.

    Eustace

    --
    It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
    http://www.geocities.com/itaintme_babe/itaintme.html

+ Reply to Thread