    Release notes for 2.0.0.6
    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...firefox2.0.0.6

  2. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    In ,
    Tonya Marshall wrote:

    >Went well without any hitches for me.
    >Release notes for 2.0.0.6
    >http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...firefox2.0.0.6

    They pretty much boil down to noting those two vulnerabilities, but the
    release notes are at
    .

  3. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    On Or About Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:43:07 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
    Or Thinking Twice, Tonya Marshall Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And
    wrote The Following In The mozilla.support.firefox News Group:

    > Went well without any hitches for me.
    > Release notes for 2.0.0.6
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...firefox2.0.0.6

    Smooth, Thanks for the link.
    --
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

  4. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    On 7/30/2007 10:09 PM, Thunderbird leader Q by teletype announced:
    > In ,
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >

    >> Went well without any hitches for me.
    >> Release notes for 2.0.0.6
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...firefox2.0.0.6
    >>

    > They pretty much boil down to noting those two vulnerabilities, but the
    > release notes are at
    > .

    The release notes are not very forth coming on what was patched. A
    pity, as this was a scheduled release.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  5. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    On Jul 30, 9:43 pm, Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > Went well without any hitches for me.
    > Release notes for 2.0.0.6http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html#f...

    Mine went very poorly. I had to uninstall 2.0.0.6 and reinstall
    2.0.0.5. No worm for me, just a bunch of extensions that would not
    load and, no, they were not incompatible with 2.0.0.6. I don't know
    what the problem was - unless my firewall or anti-virus caused a
    problem - but no problems now with 2.0.0.5. I replied to the person
    who left the post about upgrading to 2.0.0.6 to see if he could shed
    some light.

  6. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    "Ron K." wrote:>
    >The release notes are not very forth coming on what was patched. A
    >pity, as this was a scheduled release.

    It would be nice if the release notes had a pointer to something like
    this, but in any case, here's what was fixed.

    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...980203#2980203

  7. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 7/30/2007 10:09 PM, Thunderbird leader Q by teletype announced:
    >> In ,
    >> Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >>

    >>> Went well without any hitches for me.
    >>> Release notes for 2.0.0.6
    >>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...firefox2.0.0.6
    >>>

    >> They pretty much boil down to noting those two vulnerabilities, but the
    >> release notes are at
    >> .
    >>

    > The release notes are not very forth coming on what was patched. A
    > pity, as this was a scheduled release.

    Fixing two security concerns, one critical, and one moderate, seems more
    than enough for an update to me. As usual, updated with no problems.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  8. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    On Jul 30, 9:43 pm, Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > Went well without any hitches for me.
    > Release notes for 2.0.0.6http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html#f...

    Alright... My bad. It was either my anti-virus or firewall. I
    disabled both and then reinstalled. Went perfectly. Note to self...
    Remember to disable anti-virus and firewall when installing FF and
    possibly TB. Strange that none of my other apps have suffered from my
    failing to disable those two utilities. C'est la vie.

  9. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > Went well without any hitches for me.
    > Release notes for 2.0.0.6
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...firefox2.0.0.6

    Had 1 minor glitch - it doesn't like the java plugin I had. And there
    doesn't seem to be an update for it.

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

    You always have freedom of choice, but you never have freedom of
    consequence.

  10. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    On 7/31/2007 9:49 AM, Thunderbird leader Chris Barnes by teletype
    announced:
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >
    >> Went well without any hitches for me.
    >> Release notes for 2.0.0.6
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...firefox2.0.0.6
    >>

    > Had 1 minor glitch - it doesn't like the java plugin I had. And there
    > doesn't seem to be an update for it.

    If your referring to JAVA 6.0_1u there is an update to 6.0_2u that fixed
    the Fx compatibility of the Java Console. The Console has no effect on
    general users, only developers who use it to debug JAVA programs. Get
    the update from Sun's Java site.
    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  11. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    Chris Barnes wrote:
    >Had 1 minor glitch - it doesn't like the java plugin I had. And there
    >doesn't seem to be an update for it.

    It's probably not a problem with the plugin itself, but the Java Console
    extension included with the older Java release. Update to Java 1.6.0_02
    should fix it.

  12. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    Chris Barnes wrote:
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >> Went well without any hitches for me.
    >> Release notes for 2.0.0.6

    > Had 1 minor glitch - it doesn't like the java plugin I had. And there
    > doesn't seem to be an update for it.

    I actually had a major glitch that I still haven't figured my way
    around. I think I did something "wrong" -- when the dialog asking me to
    update popped up, I closed the Firefox window, then clicked Restart Now.
    After the update was installed, it tried to restart, but threw an
    error saying that "one or more files could not be installed." When I
    clear that error, the updater restarts, and the same error cycles again;
    I had to kill it via Task Manager.

  13. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    On Aug 1, 5:26 am, Mike Cowperthwaite wrote:
    > Chris Barnes wrote:
    > > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > >> Went well without any hitches for me.
    > >> Release notes for 2.0.0.6

    > > Had 1 minor glitch - it doesn't like the java plugin I had. And there
    > > doesn't seem to be an update for it.

    > I actually had a major glitch that I still haven't figured my way
    > around. I think I did something "wrong" -- when the dialog asking me to
    > update popped up, I closed the Firefox window, then clicked Restart Now.
    > After the update was installed, it tried to restart, but threw an
    > error saying that "one or more files could not be installed." When I
    > clear that error, the updater restarts, and the same error cycles again;
    > I had to kill it via Task Manager.

    I too had a glitch with 2.0.0.6 update. I prompted the update via
    Help | Check for updates. It downloaded, then failed to install, with
    an error msg like the one you got. I then tried a complete download
    and install, which failed too: the problem was that firefox.exe
    itself couldn't be overwritten because it was "in use by another
    process" - this despite me checking in the Windows Task Manager that
    firefox.exe was not running, and even rebooting. (I run Win XP SP2.)
    In the end I started Windows in safe mode, renamed firefox.exe, then
    rebooted and did a new install of 2.0.0.6. All seems fine, except
    that my FF update history shows 2.0.0.6 as "Install pending". Did I
    do the right thing?
    David

  14. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    Chris Barnes wrote:
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >> Went well without any hitches for me.
    >> Release notes for 2.0.0.6
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...firefox2.0.0.6
    >>

    > Had 1 minor glitch - it doesn't like the java plugin I had. And there
    > doesn't seem to be an update for it.

    If you will look at the message closely, it affects ONLY the Java
    Console portion of the plugin. Java works perfectly well with it.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  15. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    On 7/31/2007 11:44 PM, ddenison@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 1, 5:26 am, Mike Cowperthwaite wrote:
    >> Chris Barnes wrote:
    >>> Had 1 minor glitch - it doesn't like the java plugin I had. And there
    >>> doesn't seem to be an update for it.

    >> I actually had a major glitch that I still haven't figured my way
    >> around. I think I did something "wrong" -- when the dialog asking me to
    >> update popped up, I closed the Firefox window, then clicked Restart Now.
    >> After the update was installed, it tried to restart, but threw an
    >> error saying that "one or more files could not be installed." When I
    >> clear that error, the updater restarts, and the same error cycles again;
    >> I had to kill it via Task Manager.

    > I too had a glitch with 2.0.0.6 update. I prompted the update via
    > Help | Check for updates. It downloaded, then failed to install, with
    > an error msg like the one you got. I then tried a complete download
    > and install, which failed too: the problem was that firefox.exe
    > itself couldn't be overwritten because it was "in use by another
    > process" - this despite me checking in the Windows Task Manager that
    > firefox.exe was not running, and even rebooting. (I run Win XP SP2.)
    > In the end I started Windows in safe mode, renamed firefox.exe, then
    > rebooted and did a new install of 2.0.0.6. All seems fine, except
    > that my FF update history shows 2.0.0.6 as "Install pending". Did I
    > do the right thing?
    > David

    Look in your FF profile[1] for the file "parent.lock" and delete it

    [1]For Profile Locations see:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

    --
    Irwin

  16. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 7/31/2007 11:44 PM, ddenison@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I actually had a major glitch that I still haven't figured my way
    >>> around. I think I did something "wrong" -- when the dialog asking me to
    >>> update popped up, I closed the Firefox window, then clicked Restart Now.
    >>> After the update was installed, it tried to restart, but threw an
    >>> error saying that "one or more files could not be installed." When I
    >>> clear that error, the updater restarts, and the same error cycles again;
    >>> I had to kill it via Task Manager.

    >> I too had a glitch with 2.0.0.6 update. I prompted the update via
    >> Help | Check for updates. It downloaded, then failed to install, with
    >> an error msg like the one you got. I then tried a complete download
    >> and install, which failed too: the problem was that firefox.exe
    >> itself couldn't be overwritten because it was "in use by another
    >> process" - this despite me checking in the Windows Task Manager that
    >> firefox.exe was not running, and even rebooting. (I run Win XP SP2.)
    >> In the end I started Windows in safe mode, renamed firefox.exe, then
    >> rebooted and did a new install of 2.0.0.6. All seems fine, except
    >> that my FF update history shows 2.0.0.6 as "Install pending". Did I
    >> do the right thing?
    >> David
    >>

    > Look in your FF profile[1] for the file "parent.lock" and delete it
    >
    > [1]For Profile Locations see:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

    It wasn't the parent.lock. What I found out is that WinAmp (for some
    reason) had NPNUL32.DLL open. The Fx update process couldn't delete the
    old version, putting me into the perpetual reload state. I discovered
    this by trying to delete the install and not being able to clear out
    that one file; then closing down programs one at a time and repeating
    the attempt to delete.

    I'll try to make time to file a bug about this.

  17. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    On 8/1/2007 9:50 PM, Mike Cowperthwaite wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    >> Look in your FF profile[1] for the file "parent.lock" and delete it
    >>
    >> [1]For Profile Locations see:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder

    > It wasn't the parent.lock. What I found out is that WinAmp (for some
    > reason) had NPNUL32.DLL open. The Fx update process couldn't delete the
    > old version, putting me into the perpetual reload state. I discovered
    > this by trying to delete the install and not being able to clear out
    > that one file; then closing down programs one at a time and repeating
    > the attempt to delete.
    >
    > I'll try to make time to file a bug about this.

    Mike:

    That's interesting "detective" work. I'll have to remember the technique.

    --
    Irwin

  18. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    May I repeat an earlier question I posed in this thread, now with more
    info? I have now updated four machines from 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6, all
    Win XP Pro SP2, three of them with very similar software setups. The
    fourth one updated fine. The three that I myself use (two desktops
    and a laptop) all repeatedly failed to update, and the reason was that
    the file firefox.exe was in use by another process and so couldn't be
    overwritten by the updater - and yet Windows Task Manager wasn't
    showing Firefox running as an application or firefox.exe running as a
    process. The only way I could complete the updates was to do them in
    Windows Safe Mode. Obviously I must have something running on my PCs
    which uses firefox.exe but somehow without alerting Task Manager to
    the fact. Does anyone have any clues as to what this might be, or
    where I should look? I don't want to bore you with a list of
    installed software or of running processes, but I don't think I have
    anything particularly exotic, and surely I'm not the only person this
    has happened to. In all three cases, Firefox now shows itself as
    2.0.0.6 and appears to be working normally, but the update history in
    each case shows 2.0.0.6 as "Install Pending".

    best
    David

  19. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    ddenison@gmail.com wrote:
    > May I repeat an earlier question I posed in this thread, now with more
    > info? I have now updated four machines from 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6, all
    > Win XP Pro SP2, three of them with very similar software setups. The
    > fourth one updated fine. The three that I myself use (two desktops
    > and a laptop) all repeatedly failed to update, and the reason was that
    > the file firefox.exe was in use by another process and so couldn't be
    > overwritten by the updater - and yet Windows Task Manager wasn't
    > showing Firefox running as an application or firefox.exe running as a
    > process. The only way I could complete the updates was to do them in
    > Windows Safe Mode. Obviously I must have something running on my PCs
    > which uses firefox.exe but somehow without alerting Task Manager to
    > the fact. Does anyone have any clues as to what this might be, or
    > where I should look? I don't want to bore you with a list of
    > installed software or of running processes, but I don't think I have
    > anything particularly exotic, and surely I'm not the only person this
    > has happened to. In all three cases, Firefox now shows itself as
    > 2.0.0.6 and appears to be working normally, but the update history in
    > each case shows 2.0.0.6 as "Install Pending".
    >
    > best
    > David

    Maybe a dumb question, but did you by any chance have a Windows Explorer
    window open to the Firefox program directory with firefox.exe highlited?

  20. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    On Aug 3, 12:33 am, "Fred W." <""fred winter\"@earthlink net.InVaL1D">
    wrote:
    > ddeni...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > May I repeat an earlier question I posed in this thread, now with more
    > > info? I have now updated four machines from 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6, all
    > > Win XP Pro SP2, three of them with very similar software setups. The
    > > fourth one updated fine. The three that I myself use (two desktops
    > > and a laptop) all repeatedly failed to update, and the reason was that
    > > the file firefox.exe was in use by another process and so couldn't be
    > > overwritten by the updater - and yet Windows Task Manager wasn't
    > > showing Firefox running as an application or firefox.exe running as a
    > > process. The only way I could complete the updates was to do them in
    > > Windows Safe Mode. Obviously I must have something running on my PCs
    > > which uses firefox.exe but somehow without alerting Task Manager to
    > > the fact. Does anyone have any clues as to what this might be, or
    > > where I should look? I don't want to bore you with a list of
    > > installed software or of running processes, but I don't think I have
    > > anything particularly exotic, and surely I'm not the only person this
    > > has happened to. In all three cases, Firefox now shows itself as
    > > 2.0.0.6 and appears to be working normally, but the update history in
    > > each case shows 2.0.0.6 as "Install Pending".

    > > best
    > > David

    > Maybe a dumb question, but did you by any chance have a Windows Explorer
    > window open to the Firefox program directory with firefox.exe highlited?

    Fair question! But no. For example, on at least one occasion I did a
    reboot, opened Windows Explorer, went straight to My Download Files
    and launched Firefox Setup 2.0.0.6.exe. I had not launched Firefox
    myself nor gone anywhere near the Mozilla FF folder in Program Files,
    yet the update failed because firefox.exe was "in use" (though not
    showing as running in task manager).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast