FF2.0.0.6 update - Mozilla

This is a discussion on FF2.0.0.6 update - Mozilla ; ddenison@gmail.com wrote: > On Aug 3, 12:33 am, "Fred W." > wrote: >> ddeni...@gmail.com wrote: >>> May I repeat an earlier question I posed in this thread, now with >>> more info? I have now updated four machines from 2.0.0.5 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    ddenison@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 3, 12:33 am, "Fred W." <""fred winter\"@earthlink net.InVaL1D">
    > wrote:
    >> ddeni...@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> May I repeat an earlier question I posed in this thread, now with
    >>> more info? I have now updated four machines from 2.0.0.5 to
    >>> 2.0.0.6, all Win XP Pro SP2, three of them with very similar
    >>> software setups. The fourth one updated fine. The three that I
    >>> myself use (two desktops and a laptop) all repeatedly failed to
    >>> update, and the reason was that the file firefox.exe was in use by
    >>> another process and so couldn't be overwritten by the updater - and
    >>> yet Windows Task Manager wasn't showing Firefox running as an
    >>> application or firefox.exe running as a process. The only way I
    >>> could complete the updates was to do them in Windows Safe Mode.
    >>> Obviously I must have something running on my PCs which uses
    >>> firefox.exe but somehow without alerting Task Manager to the fact.
    >>> Does anyone have any clues as to what this might be, or where I
    >>> should look? I don't want to bore you with a list of installed
    >>> software or of running processes, but I don't think I have anything
    >>> particularly exotic, and surely I'm not the only person this has
    >>> happened to. In all three cases, Firefox now shows itself as
    >>> 2.0.0.6 and appears to be working normally, but the update history
    >>> in each case shows 2.0.0.6 as "Install Pending".

    >>> best
    >>> David

    >> Maybe a dumb question, but did you by any chance have a Windows
    >> Explorer window open to the Firefox program directory with
    >> firefox.exe highlited?

    > Fair question! But no. For example, on at least one occasion I did a
    > reboot, opened Windows Explorer, went straight to My Download Files
    > and launched Firefox Setup 2.0.0.6.exe. I had not launched Firefox
    > myself nor gone anywhere near the Mozilla FF folder in Program Files,
    > yet the update failed because firefox.exe was "in use" (though not
    > showing as running in task manager).

    I'm having the same problem. Cannot update from 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6 in
    Windows XP.
    Every time I try to update I am told the files are downloaded and
    Firefox needs to restart. Then I get a popup that says "One or more
    files could not be updated. Make sure all other applications are closed
    and that you have permission to ......"

    Happens repeatedly and I am running as administrator with full powers.
    "Help about" shows that Firefox is still 2.0.0.5. Never had Firefox
    update problems previously. There is something wrong with this update.

    Jeff

  2. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    ddenison@gmail.com wrote:
    > May I repeat an earlier question I posed in this thread, now with more
    > info? I have now updated four machines from 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6, all
    > Win XP Pro SP2, three of them with very similar software setups. The
    > fourth one updated fine. The three that I myself use (two desktops
    > and a laptop) all repeatedly failed to update, and the reason was that
    > the file firefox.exe was in use by another process and so couldn't be
    > overwritten by the updater - and yet Windows Task Manager wasn't
    > showing Firefox running as an application or firefox.exe running as a
    > process. The only way I could complete the updates was to do them in
    > Windows Safe Mode. Obviously I must have something running on my PCs
    > which uses firefox.exe but somehow without alerting Task Manager to
    > the fact. Does anyone have any clues as to what this might be, or
    > where I should look? I don't want to bore you with a list of
    > installed software or of running processes, but I don't think I have
    > anything particularly exotic, and surely I'm not the only person this
    > has happened to. In all three cases, Firefox now shows itself as
    > 2.0.0.6 and appears to be working normally, but the update history in
    > each case shows 2.0.0.6 as "Install Pending".
    >
    > best
    > David

    Someone informed me that Spybot TeaTimer interferes with updates. Try
    turning that off if you are running it. Apparently a Logitech webcam
    installation can also interfere.

  3. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    Jeff wrote:
    > ddenison@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Aug 3, 12:33 am, "Fred W." <""fred winter\"@earthlink net.InVaL1D">
    >> wrote:
    >>> Maybe a dumb question, but did you by any chance have a Windows
    >>> Explorer window open to the Firefox program directory with
    >>> firefox.exe highlited?

    >> Fair question! But no. For example, on at least one occasion I did a
    >> reboot, opened Windows Explorer, went straight to My Download Files
    >> and launched Firefox Setup 2.0.0.6.exe. I had not launched Firefox
    >> myself nor gone anywhere near the Mozilla FF folder in Program Files,
    >> yet the update failed because firefox.exe was "in use" (though not
    >> showing as running in task manager).

    > I'm having the same problem. Cannot update from 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6 in
    > Windows XP.
    > Every time I try to update I am told the files are downloaded and
    > Firefox needs to restart. Then I get a popup that says "One or more
    > files could not be updated. Make sure all other applications are closed
    > and that you have permission to ......"
    >
    > Happens repeatedly and I am running as administrator with full powers.
    > "Help about" shows that Firefox is still 2.0.0.5. Never had Firefox
    > update problems previously. There is something wrong with this update.
    >
    > Jeff

    If that keeps happening I would suggest making a habit of updating by
    downloading the full version and installing it. I have been doing that
    all along and have had good results.

  4. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    >>> Maybe a dumb question, but did you by any chance have a Windows
    >>> Explorer window open to the Firefox program directory with
    >>> firefox.exe highlited?
    >>>

    >> Fair question! But no. For example, on at least one occasion I did a
    >> reboot, opened Windows Explorer, went straight to My Download Files
    >> and launched Firefox Setup 2.0.0.6.exe. I had not launched Firefox
    >> myself nor gone anywhere near the Mozilla FF folder in Program Files,
    >> yet the update failed because firefox.exe was "in use" (though not
    >> showing as running in task manager).
    >>

    > I'm having the same problem. Cannot update from 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6 in
    > Windows XP.
    > Every time I try to update I am told the files are downloaded and
    > Firefox needs to restart. Then I get a popup that says "One or more
    > files could not be updated. Make sure all other applications are closed
    > and that you have permission to ......"
    >
    > Happens repeatedly and I am running as administrator with full powers.
    > "Help about" shows that Firefox is still 2.0.0.5. Never had Firefox
    > update problems previously. There is something wrong with this update.

    What I have found is that sometimes I need to say "Install Later", and
    then Exit out of Firefox. Using Ctrl-Shift-Escape, make sure that
    Firefox is *not* running (terminating it if it is), and then letting
    restarting it to apply the update.

    Steve

  5. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    EE wrote:
    > Jeff wrote:
    >> ddenison@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> Fair question! But no. For example, on at least one occasion I
    >>> did a reboot, opened Windows Explorer, went straight to My Download
    >>> Files and launched Firefox Setup 2.0.0.6.exe. I had not launched
    >>> Firefox myself nor gone anywhere near the Mozilla FF folder in
    >>> Program Files, yet the update failed because firefox.exe was "in
    >>> use" (though not showing as running in task manager).

    >> I'm having the same problem. Cannot update from 2.0.0.5 to 2.0.0.6
    >> in Windows XP.
    >> Every time I try to update I am told the files are downloaded and
    >> Firefox needs to restart. Then I get a popup that says "One or more
    >> files could not be updated. Make sure all other applications are
    >> closed and that you have permission to ......"
    >>
    >> Happens repeatedly and I am running as administrator with full
    >> powers. "Help about" shows that Firefox is still 2.0.0.5. Never had
    >> Firefox update problems previously. There is something wrong with
    >> this update. Jeff
    >>

    > If that keeps happening I would suggest making a habit of updating by
    > downloading the full version and installing it. I have been doing
    > that all along and have had good results.

    That worked.

    Jeff

  6. Re: FF2.0.0.6 update

    I think SpyBotS&D Teatimer could be the explanation for my problem
    (see two posts above), as I have it running on the 3 machines where
    the install failed and disabled on the one that went through OK. But
    life's too short to go back and confirm this. Something to bear in
    mind next time a FF update fails.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2