Importing from Another Instance of Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Importing from Another Instance of Firefox - Mozilla ; I had a computer crash, and moved the old hard drive to a new computer. I installed Firefox on the new hard drive, but want to import all the settings and extensions from the old drive to the new one. ...

  1. Importing from Another Instance of Firefox

    I had a computer crash, and moved the old hard drive to a new
    computer. I installed Firefox on the new hard drive, but want to
    import all the settings and extensions from the old drive to the new
    one. I copied the files from the old to the new, and have all my
    bookmarks, but none of the extensions work, nor can I install them
    again. All downloaded files fail to install directing me to the error
    console, Checking there doesn't help me much. Here's the latest
    message:

    "Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'display'. Declaration
    dropped.
    Source File: https://addons.mozilla.org/css/rustico.css
    Line: 1078"

    Obviously, I didn't copy the files correctly or forgot something. The
    import process on Firefox only offered to import from IE, not another
    instance of Firefox.

    Any suggestions on how to move all my settings from the old drive to
    my new one? Also, I was running XP on the old drive, now I'm running
    Vista. Is that a problem?

    Thanks for any help!

  2. Re: Importing from Another Instance of Firefox

    John wrote:
    > I had a computer crash, and moved the old hard drive to a new
    > computer. I installed Firefox on the new hard drive, but want to
    > import all the settings and extensions from the old drive to the new
    > one. I copied the files from the old to the new, and have all my
    > bookmarks, but none of the extensions work, nor can I install them
    > again. All downloaded files fail to install directing me to the error
    > console, Checking there doesn't help me much. Here's the latest
    > message:
    >
    > "Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'display'. Declaration
    > dropped.
    > Source File: https://addons.mozilla.org/css/rustico.css
    > Line: 1078"
    >
    > Obviously, I didn't copy the files correctly or forgot something. The
    > import process on Firefox only offered to import from IE, not another
    > instance of Firefox.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to move all my settings from the old drive to
    > my new one? Also, I was running XP on the old drive, now I'm running
    > Vista. Is that a problem?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    You need to allow Firefox to make a new profile and then dump the
    contents of the old profile into the new one. Firefox expects to see
    the name of a profile it has set up for itself.

  3. Re: Importing from Another Instance of Firefox

    On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:22:14 -0700, EE wrote:

    >John wrote:
    >> I had a computer crash, and moved the old hard drive to a new
    >> computer. I installed Firefox on the new hard drive, but want to
    >> import all the settings and extensions from the old drive to the new
    >> one. I copied the files from the old to the new, and have all my
    >> bookmarks, but none of the extensions work, nor can I install them
    >> again. All downloaded files fail to install directing me to the error
    >> console, Checking there doesn't help me much. Here's the latest
    >> message:
    >>
    >> "Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'display'. Declaration
    >> dropped.
    >> Source File: https://addons.mozilla.org/css/rustico.css
    >> Line: 1078"
    >>
    >> Obviously, I didn't copy the files correctly or forgot something. The
    >> import process on Firefox only offered to import from IE, not another
    >> instance of Firefox.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on how to move all my settings from the old drive to
    >> my new one? Also, I was running XP on the old drive, now I'm running
    >> Vista. Is that a problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!

    >You need to allow Firefox to make a new profile and then dump the
    >contents of the old profile into the new one. Firefox expects to see
    >the name of a profile it has set up for itself.

    Thank you for the reply, but I'm still as lost as before.

    I created a new profile, and copied the files from the old to the new.
    I changed the profile.ini to reflect the new profile name. Still the
    page comes up as a new user, no settings carried over, no bookmarks,
    and none of the extensions. I'm not new at this type of stuff, but why
    am I having such a problem with it? I'm still getting used to Vista's
    file management system, but this is driving me crazy!

    Thanks for any further instructions.

+ Reply to Thread