never ending throbber - Mozilla

This is a discussion on never ending throbber - Mozilla ; I know it sounds like the name of an "interesting" movie, but I'm referring to the Firefox page completion status throbber. On some sites (most interestingly on some sites I'm working on) the throbber seems to go on forever. Ten ...

  1. never ending throbber

    I know it sounds like the name of an "interesting" movie, but I'm
    referring to the Firefox page completion status throbber. On some sites
    (most interestingly on some sites I'm working on) the throbber seems to
    go on forever. Ten minutes after the page completed it's still not at
    100%. I've seen this logged in the bugzilla DB for Firefox dozens of
    times and fixed for dozens of scenarios but it's still a problem for
    some sites.

    If you look with Firebug at the page assets, you see the load times of
    each of the files on the page and it shows that all are complete. So
    Firebug thinks that the page should be marked complete, because it
    doesn't think there are any outstanding files to be downloaded. I don't
    see why Firefox itself doesn't know, considering that it provides
    Firebug with all the information it has.

    Are there any known DHTML practices that can lead to this situation
    (e.g. eval'ing script into existence, dynamically adding elements (DIV,
    SCRIPT) to the DOM before the page is complete, or after the page is
    complete, or loading an image into a JavaScript Image object (for the
    purposes of implementing a tracking ping) ?

    Are there any workarounds that can be done from JavaScript?

    I know of some big sites that are currently escaping (blocking) Firefox
    because of this and providing it with a "classic" experience.

    ~dd

  2. Re: never ending throbber

    d d wrote:
    > I know it sounds like the name of an "interesting" movie, but I'm
    > referring to the Firefox page completion status throbber. On some sites
    > (most interestingly on some sites I'm working on) the throbber seems to
    > go on forever. Ten minutes after the page completed it's still not at
    > 100%. I've seen this logged in the bugzilla DB for Firefox dozens of
    > times and fixed for dozens of scenarios but it's still a problem for
    > some sites.
    >
    > If you look with Firebug at the page assets, you see the load times of
    > each of the files on the page and it shows that all are complete. So
    > Firebug thinks that the page should be marked complete, because it
    > doesn't think there are any outstanding files to be downloaded. I don't
    > see why Firefox itself doesn't know, considering that it provides
    > Firebug with all the information it has.

    In Konqueror, which displays "xx items of yy loaded" while the page is
    final value; it keeps going up for some time. I think IE has the same display,
    but there are more sites that treat IE differently than Firefox than they do
    Konqueror.

    > Are there any known DHTML practices that can lead to this situation
    > (e.g. eval'ing script into existence, dynamically adding elements (DIV,
    > SCRIPT) to the DOM before the page is complete, or after the page is
    > complete, or loading an image into a JavaScript Image object (for the
    > purposes of implementing a tracking ping) ?

    I don't know; I know zilch about JS.

    > Are there any workarounds that can be done from JavaScript?

    Once you think the page is actually complete, the "classical" workaround is to
    click the "Stop" button. That's not Javascript however.

    You may also want to filter about:config on "timeout" (without the quotes of
    course) and see if any of those prefs' names rings a bell.

    > I know of some big sites that are currently escaping (blocking) Firefox
    > because of this and providing it with a "classic" experience.
    >
    > ~dd

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    "Sherry [Thomas Sheridan] is dull, naturally dull; but it must have
    taken him a great deal of pains to become what we now see him. Such an

  3. Re: never ending throbber

    d d wrote:

    > I know it sounds like the name of an "interesting" movie, but I'm

    Looks like a great Subject header for a typical piece of spam.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  4. Re: never ending throbber

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > d d wrote:
    >> I know it sounds like the name of an "interesting" movie, but I'm

    > Looks like a great Subject header for a typical piece of spam.

    It does indeed. It worked though. You and Tony both read it ;-)

    ~dd

  5. Re: never ending throbber

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > You may also want to filter about:config on "timeout" (without the
    > quotes of course) and see if any of those prefs' names rings a bell.

    Good idea. It might spark an idea that could trigger a particular
    investigation that finds out what these sites are doing that's causing
    the problem, then they can stop doing it

    I was hoping this post might catch the eye of one of the developers of
    Firefox that's dealt with throbber issues and might have some general
    guidelines of things that can make the throbber unhappy.

    ~dd

  6. Re: never ending throbber

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > d d wrote:
    >
    >> I know it sounds like the name of an "interesting" movie, but I'm

    > Looks like a great Subject header for a typical piece of spam.

    If it lasts for over 4 hours consult your doctor.

    --
    Oregano, n.:
    The ancient Italian art of pizza folding.

  7. Re: never ending throbber

    On 7/12/2007 7:45 AM Rinaldi J. Montessi inquired:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> d d wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know it sounds like the name of an "interesting" movie, but I'm

    >> Looks like a great Subject header for a typical piece of spam.

    > If it lasts for over 4 hours consult your doctor.

  8. Re: never ending throbber

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> d d wrote:
    >>
    >>> I know it sounds like the name of an "interesting" movie, but

    I'm

    >> Looks like a great Subject header for a typical piece of spam.

    > If it lasts for over 4 hours consult your doctor.

    Right. Hey, should everything I see have a bluish cast?

    --
    Blinky
    Killfiling all posts from Google Groups