Searching from the address bar - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Searching from the address bar - Mozilla ; Hi, I don't know what happened, but suddenly I can't search form the address bar. I keep getting an "Invalid URL" message. I could not find the option that enables this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Eyal...

  1. Searching from the address bar

    Hi,

    I don't know what happened, but suddenly I can't search form the
    address bar. I keep getting an "Invalid URL" message. I could not
    find the option that enables this. Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Eyal

  2. Re: Searching from the address bar

    eyal.susser@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I don't know what happened, but suddenly I can't search form the
    > address bar. I keep getting an "Invalid URL" message. I could not
    > find the option that enables this. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eyal

    "Suddenly", you say. The last time you did it successfully, are you sure it
    was in Firefox? In SeaMonkey (or, I think, Netscape), a single type-in box is
    used as the URL bar and the Search bar. In Firefox they are different. If you
    don't see the Search bar, make sure all the possible toolbars are displayed
    (using the View menu), then "View => Toolbars => Customize" will allow you to
    drag widgets about. The Search bar's usual place is right of the URL bar on
    the same toolbar, but you can put it anywhere -- even on the menu bar.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.

  3. Re: Searching from the address bar

    > I don't know what happened, but suddenly I can't search form the
    > address bar. I keep getting an "Invalid URL" message. I could not
    > find the option that enables this. Any help would be appreciated.

    Hi Eyal,
    You will have to check your configuration entries for two 'keyword.' items

    Type
    about:config into the location bar and then filter on
    keyword. (with the period)

    you can usually reset the following to their
    original values by right click on the row and choose "reset".
    keyword.URL string http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...ient&gfns=1&q=

    keyword.enabled boolean True

    For more information check the following:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search

    I purposely make sure that no search can be initiatied from the
    location bar, except through a keyword shortcut (bookmark with
    a keyword), but the articles should be of interest to you,
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/search.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm

    --
    David McRitchie, Firefox Customizations in pictures
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/pictures.htm

  4. Re: Searching from the address bar

    On Jul 11, 7:47 pm, Tony Mechelynck
    wrote:
    > eyal.sus...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I don't know what happened, but suddenly I can't search form the
    > > address bar. I keep getting an "Invalid URL" message. I could not
    > > find the option that enables this. Any help would be appreciated.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Eyal

    > "Suddenly", you say. The last time you did it successfully, are you sure it
    > was in Firefox? In SeaMonkey (or, I think, Netscape), a single type-in box is
    > used as the URL bar and the Search bar. In Firefox they are different. If you
    > don't see the Search bar, make sure all the possible toolbars are displayed
    > (using the View menu), then "View => Toolbars => Customize" will allow you to
    > drag widgets about. The Search bar's usual place is right of the URL bar on
    > the same toolbar, but you can put it anywhere -- even on the menu bar.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tony.
    > --
    > An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.

    I have been using Firefox for some time...and I know the difference
    between the address bar and the search bar :-). Something is messed
    up with my configuration...been hunting around the about:config page
    to no avail...

    Thanks for your help,
    Eyal

  5. Re: Searching from the address bar

    On Jul 11, 8:51 pm, "David McRitchie" wrote:

    > > I don't know what happened, but suddenly I can't search form the
    > > address bar. I keep getting an "Invalid URL" message. I could not
    > > find the option that enables this. Any help would be appreciated.

    > Hi Eyal,
    > You will have to check your configuration entries for two 'keyword.' items
    >
    > Type
    > about:config into the location bar and then filter on
    > keyword. (with the period)
    >
    > you can usually reset the following to their
    > original values by right click on the row and choose "reset".
    > keyword.URL string http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...=navclient&gfn...
    >
    > keyword.enabled boolean True
    >
    > For more information check the following:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search
    >
    > I purposely make sure that no search can be initiatied from the
    > location bar, except through a keyword shortcut (bookmark with
    > a keyword), but the articles should be of interest to you,
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/search.htm
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/kws.htm
    >
    > --
    > David McRitchie, Firefox Customizations in pictures
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/pictures.htm

    Yeah, I had already set my keyword.* as you said.

    A thought just occurred to me - I have the IE Tab extension. Since
    that uses URLs to determine whether to load a site in IE or not, that
    may be interfering with the search? I'll give it a go.

    Thanks,
    Eyal

  6. Re: Searching from the address bar

    eyal.susser@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 11, 8:51 pm, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I don't know what happened, but suddenly I can't search form the
    >> > address bar. I keep getting an "Invalid URL" message. I could not
    >> > find the option that enables this. Any help would be appreciated.

    >> Hi Eyal,
    >> You will have to check your configuration entries for two 'keyword.' items
    >>
    >> Type
    >> about:config into the location bar and then filter on
    >> keyword. (with the period)

    >> For more information check ...
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search

    > Yeah, I had already set my keyword.* as you said.
    >
    > A thought just occurred to me - I have the IE Tab extension. Since
    > that uses URLs to determine whether to load a site in IE or not, that
    > may be interfering with the search? I'll give it a go.

    I have this problem too; it started with FF 2. It works correctly
    sometimes, but often fails when the location bar entry has a space in
    it (e.g. "home depot", with or without quotes). I too tried all
    combinations of the keyword.* about:config entries, to no effect.
    However, my experiments suggest it's the Tabbrowser Preferences
    extension that breaks this behavior; disabling all my other extensions
    (including IE Tab) one at a time had no effect. But with Tabbrowser
    Preferences disabled, entering "home depot" in location bar generates
    a Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" or "Browse by Name" search, as determined
    by the about:config setting. With Tabbrowser Preferences enabled,
    "home depot" gets an invalid URL, regardless of the keyword.*
    settings. Maybe because instead of the keyword search it does the
    "browser.fixup.alternate" instead, & appends prefix & suffix to make
    (e.g.) <www.home depot.com> which is invalid?

    Since doing without Tabbrowser Preferences would be worse than an
    occasional location bar search failure, the workaround I'm using is
    omit the space on first try. For most searches (notably with test case
    "home depot") the Google search works & finds the right place (i.e.
    enter homedepot). If it does fail, the search bar always works; though
    it takes a retry & few more clicks.

  7. Re: Searching from the address bar

    On Jul 12, 8:37 am, JCR wrote:
    > eyal.sus...@gmail.com wrote:

    > >> Hi Eyal,
    > >> You will have to check your configuration entries for two 'keyword.' items

    > >> Type
    > >> about:config into the location bar and then filter on
    > >> keyword. (with the period)

    > >> For more information check ...
    > >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search

    > > Yeah, I had already set my keyword.* as you said.

    > > A thought just occurred to me - I have the IE Tab extension. Since
    > > that uses URLs to determine whether to load a site in IE or not, that
    > > may be interfering with the search? I'll give it a go.

    > I have this problem too; it started with FF 2. It works correctly
    > sometimes, but often fails when the location bar entry has a space in
    > it (e.g. "home depot", with or without quotes). I too tried all
    > combinations of the keyword.* about:config entries, to no effect.
    > However, my experiments suggest it's the Tabbrowser Preferences
    > extension that breaks this behavior; disabling all my other extensions
    > (including IE Tab) one at a time had no effect. But with Tabbrowser
    > Preferences disabled, entering "home depot" in location bar generates
    > a Google "I'm Feeling Lucky" or "Browse by Name" search, as determined
    > by the about:config setting. With Tabbrowser Preferences enabled,
    > "home depot" gets an invalid URL, regardless of the keyword.*
    > settings. Maybe because instead of the keyword search it does the
    > "browser.fixup.alternate" instead, & appends prefix & suffix to make
    > (e.g.) which is invalid?
    >
    > Since doing without Tabbrowser Preferences would be worse than an
    > occasional location bar search failure, the workaround I'm using is
    > omit the space on first try. For most searches (notably with test case
    > "home depot") the Google search works & finds the right place (i.e.
    > enter homedepot). If it does fail, the search bar always works; though
    > it takes a retry & few more clicks.

    Yes! That must be it! Tab Prefs and FF 2 don't mix well, since I had
    Tab Prefs on my FF 1.5 and I seem to recall this worked well
    enough...thanks!

+ Reply to Thread