Is it possible to have separate configs for different FF versions? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Is it possible to have separate configs for different FF versions? - Mozilla ; I have five different versions of Firefox installed on my Win XP (1.07, 1.50, 2.0.0.2, 2.0.0.3 and 2.0.0.4). Whenever I change any config item (e.g. http proxy) it affects all versions of Firefox. Can I make it so that I ...

  1. Is it possible to have separate configs for different FF versions?

    I have five different versions of Firefox installed on my Win XP (1.07,
    1.50, 2.0.0.2, 2.0.0.3 and 2.0.0.4). Whenever I change any config item
    (e.g. http proxy) it affects all versions of Firefox. Can I make it so
    that I can have different profiles for each version? Or a different
    version for just one version ?

    I'd be happy to install 2.0.0.4 into a brand new extra folder just so
    this new one can be my default browser (and have NO http proxy), but the
    others all are NOT my default browser and have a proxy set.

    I'm trying to get away from IE as default browser but I do so much
    testing with Firefox and Fiddler (via http proxy) that I'd pretty much
    like to leave it on for all my different firefox versions except for one.

    It's either that, or be toggling the proxy on/off all day long as I open
    links just to look at, and open them to troubleshoot an issue. Or use
    opera as my default, but it kinda sucks.

    ~dd

  2. Re: Is it possible to have separate configs for different FF versions?

    d d wrote:
    > I have five different versions of Firefox installed on my Win XP (1.07,
    > 1.50, 2.0.0.2, 2.0.0.3 and 2.0.0.4). Whenever I change any config item
    > (e.g. http proxy) it affects all versions of Firefox. Can I make it so
    > that I can have different profiles for each version? Or a different
    > version for just one version ?
    >
    > I'd be happy to install 2.0.0.4 into a brand new extra folder just so
    > this new one can be my default browser (and have NO http proxy), but the
    > others all are NOT my default browser and have a proxy set.
    >
    > I'm trying to get away from IE as default browser but I do so much
    > testing with Firefox and Fiddler (via http proxy) that I'd pretty much
    > like to leave it on for all my different firefox versions except for one.
    >
    > It's either that, or be toggling the proxy on/off all day long as I open
    > links just to look at, and open them to troubleshoot an issue. Or use
    > opera as my default, but it kinda sucks.
    >
    > ~dd

    I think that what you're looking for is separate profiles. Each profile has
    its own set of settings, extensions, themes and search engines.

    To manage profiles:

    firefox -ProfileManager

    To run with a given profile

    firefox -P profilename

    where "profilename" is the name of the profile ("default" -- without quotes --
    for the profile which was automatically created for you the first time,
    something else of your choice for additional profiles created via the Profile
    Manager).

    You can use different profiles at different times even with a single version
    of Firefox. Note that trying to run different versions of Firefox at _the
    same_ time will usually not work: the second time you invoke it, you'll get a
    new window into the already-running executable instance -- which will use
    whatever profile it was already using. There is a way to circumvent this, but
    how to do it is a different can of worms.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    I pray the double lock will keep;

  3. Re: Is it possible to have separate configs for different FF versions?

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > I think that what you're looking for is separate profiles. Each profile
    > has its own set of settings, extensions, themes and search engines.
    > To manage profiles:
    > firefox -ProfileManager
    > To run with a given profile
    > firefox -P profilename

    Thanks Tony, I think that would have worked just fine for me. I tried
    attacking this problem from two different angles (in two different
    message posts here. One was based on having different configs (profiles)
    and having one of them have proxy disabled. The other way of attacking
    my problem was to ask if there's an easy way to toggle the proxy config
    on/off. It turns out that in my other thread, Redhat71 pointed me to an
    add-on which adds a "P" (Proxy) toggle on/off icon. That's even easier
    than I'd hoped for, so I'll go with that.

    > Note that trying to run different versions of
    > Firefox at _the same_ time will usually not work: the second time you
    > invoke it, you'll get a new window into the already-running executable
    > instance -- which will use whatever profile it was already using. There
    > is a way to circumvent this, but how to do it is a different can of worms.

    Yeah, I've seen this going back quite a few years with the Mozilla /
    Netscape / Firefox family. Whichever was the first version to start,
    that dominates and all others are just extra instances of the first one.
    For example, you first start Firefox 1.0, then later (with 1.0 still
    open) if you open Firefox 2.0 and ask it it's about-firefox, it'll tell
    you it's 1.0. Lesson learned a long time ago, only because the two
    versions were meant to behave differently in the content I was testing
    and they behaved the same :-)

    ~dd

  4. Re: Is it possible to have separate configs for different FF versions?

    d d wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> I think that what you're looking for is separate profiles. Each
    >> profile has its own set of settings, extensions, themes and search
    >> engines.
    >> To manage profiles:
    >> firefox -ProfileManager
    >> To run with a given profile
    >> firefox -P profilename

    > Thanks Tony, I think that would have worked just fine for me. I tried
    > attacking this problem from two different angles (in two different
    > message posts here. One was based on having different configs (profiles)
    > and having one of them have proxy disabled. The other way of attacking
    > my problem was to ask if there's an easy way to toggle the proxy config
    > on/off. It turns out that in my other thread, Redhat71 pointed me to an
    > add-on which adds a "P" (Proxy) toggle on/off icon. That's even easier
    > than I'd hoped for, so I'll go with that.
    >
    >> Note that trying to run different versions of Firefox at _the same_
    >> time will usually not work: the second time you invoke it, you'll get
    >> a new window into the already-running executable instance -- which
    >> will use whatever profile it was already using. There is a way to
    >> circumvent this, but how to do it is a different can of worms.

    > Yeah, I've seen this going back quite a few years with the Mozilla /
    > Netscape / Firefox family. Whichever was the first version to start,
    > that dominates and all others are just extra instances of the first one.
    > For example, you first start Firefox 1.0, then later (with 1.0 still
    > open) if you open Firefox 2.0 and ask it it's about-firefox, it'll tell
    > you it's 1.0. Lesson learned a long time ago, only because the two
    > versions were meant to behave differently in the content I was testing
    > and they behaved the same :-)
    >
    > ~dd

    If you are sure you want to run more than one instance at the same time, you
    must use (in all instances except at most one) either the MOZ_MO_REMOTE=1
    environment variable or (in recent versions e.g. alpha builds) the -no-remote
    command-line switch. And of course use different profiles, since every
    instance "locks" the profile it's using so no other instance can use it.

    I'm using that trick to run BonEcho (Fx2) and Minefield (Fx3) and it works
    well (on Linux):

    BonEcho shortcut (the executable is in the PATH and the "default" profile is
    used):

    firefox %u

    Minefield shortcut (the executable is not in the PATH):

    /root/testing/firefox/firefox -no-remote -P testing

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    If God didn't mean for us to juggle, tennis balls wouldn't come three
    to a can.

+ Reply to Thread