Saved passwords - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Saved passwords - Mozilla ; The behavior of Firefox, from the viewpoint of the end-user, with regard to saved userids/passwords, is just random. Sometimes it offers to save them, sometimes it doesn't. And there doesn't appear to be a way to say, "Please save the ...

  1. Saved passwords

    The behavior of Firefox, from the viewpoint of the end-user, with
    regard to saved userids/passwords, is just random. Sometimes it offers
    to save them, sometimes it doesn't. And there doesn't appear to be a
    way to say, "Please save the form entries I've made on this page". I
    realize that websites have some control over the browser behavior in
    this regard, though I can't really understand why that should be the
    case. It's *my* computer, *my* bank account, if I want to have the
    user-id and password remembered by the browser, it damned well ought
    to do so. This feels a bit like Windows Big Brother style (e.g., when
    Windows decides that regardless of what you are doing with your own
    computer, it wants to reboot in order to finish installing an update
    to fix their own broken-ness), something I wouldn't expect from the
    open source community.

    /Don Allen

  2. Re: Saved passwords

    Donald Allen wrote:
    > The behavior of Firefox, from the viewpoint of the end-user, with
    > regard to saved userids/passwords, is just random. Sometimes it offers
    > to save them, sometimes it doesn't. And there doesn't appear to be a
    > way to say, "Please save the form entries I've made on this page". I
    > realize that websites have some control over the browser behavior in
    > this regard, though I can't really understand why that should be the
    > case. It's *my* computer, *my* bank account, if I want to have the
    > user-id and password remembered by the browser, it damned well ought
    > to do so. This feels a bit like Windows Big Brother style (e.g., when
    > Windows decides that regardless of what you are doing with your own
    > computer, it wants to reboot in order to finish installing an update
    > to fix their own broken-ness), something I wouldn't expect from the
    > open source community.
    >
    > /Don Allen

    they think its a security risk if you have this info stored
    on your computer. Someone can hack into your computer while
    you're online. Not so with Mozilla products but more so
    with IE.

    Anyways, there are [sometimes] ways around it. You need the
    remember password bookmarklet:
    https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarkl...ember_password.
    Just drag the icon to your bookmark toolbar. Visit the
    site you want. Click the bookmarklet, click OK to the
    popup. Now, enter your user name and password, enter, and
    you should get a popup asking if you want to remember the
    password.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Saved passwords

    On 7/11/07, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:
    > Donald Allen wrote:
    > > The behavior of Firefox, from the viewpoint of the end-user, with
    > > regard to saved userids/passwords, is just random. Sometimes it offers
    > > to save them, sometimes it doesn't. And there doesn't appear to be a
    > > way to say, "Please save the form entries I've made on this page". I
    > > realize that websites have some control over the browser behavior in
    > > this regard, though I can't really understand why that should be the
    > > case. It's *my* computer, *my* bank account, if I want to have the
    > > user-id and password remembered by the browser, it damned well ought
    > > to do so. This feels a bit like Windows Big Brother style (e.g., when
    > > Windows decides that regardless of what you are doing with your own
    > > computer, it wants to reboot in order to finish installing an update
    > > to fix their own broken-ness), something I wouldn't expect from the
    > > open source community.
    > >
    > > /Don Allen

    > they think its a security risk if you have this info stored
    > on your computer. Someone can hack into your computer while
    > you're online.

    Yes, I know what *they* think. But as I said, it's my computer, my
    bank account. None of their business.

    Not so with Mozilla products but more so
    > with IE.
    >
    > Anyways, there are [sometimes] ways around it. You need the
    > remember password bookmarklet:
    > https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarkl...ember_password.
    > Just drag the icon to your bookmark toolbar. Visit the
    > site you want. Click the bookmarklet, click OK to the
    > popup. Now, enter your user name and password, enter, and
    > you should get a popup asking if you want to remember the
    > password.

    Thanks -- I'll give it a try.

    /Don

    > --
    > Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
    > only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
    > one. Thanks!
    >
    > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    > http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: Saved passwords

    Your suggestion works, in part, for the most annoying site, my bank.
    (Thank you.) I say "in part" because the bank (as have many others)
    now collects the user-id on one page and the password on a separate
    page, where it also shows you a picture you've chosen, to prove that
    they're not an imposter trying to steal your password. Your trick
    works on the password page, but does not work on the User id page.
    What I really want is for Firefox to memorize the values of arbitrary
    form fields, under my control. Any further suggestions?

    /Don

    wrote:
    > Donald Allen wrote:
    > > The behavior of Firefox, from the viewpoint of the end-user, with
    > > regard to saved userids/passwords, is just random. Sometimes it offers
    > > to save them, sometimes it doesn't. And there doesn't appear to be a
    > > way to say, "Please save the form entries I've made on this page". I
    > > realize that websites have some control over the browser behavior in
    > > this regard, though I can't really understand why that should be the
    > > case. It's *my* computer, *my* bank account, if I want to have the
    > > user-id and password remembered by the browser, it damned well ought
    > > to do so. This feels a bit like Windows Big Brother style (e.g., when
    > > Windows decides that regardless of what you are doing with your own
    > > computer, it wants to reboot in order to finish installing an update
    > > to fix their own broken-ness), something I wouldn't expect from the
    > > open source community.
    > >
    > > /Don Allen

    > they think its a security risk if you have this info stored
    > on your computer. Someone can hack into your computer while
    > you're online. Not so with Mozilla products but more so
    > with IE.
    >
    > Anyways, there are [sometimes] ways around it. You need the
    > remember password bookmarklet:
    > https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarkl...ember_password.
    > Just drag the icon to your bookmark toolbar. Visit the
    > site you want. Click the bookmarklet, click OK to the
    > popup. Now, enter your user name and password, enter, and
    > you should get a popup asking if you want to remember the
    > password.
    >
    > --
    > Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
    > only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
    > one. Thanks!
    >
    > Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    > http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: Saved passwords

    On 7/11/2007 3:00 PM On a whim, Donald Allen pounded out on the keyboard

    > Your suggestion works, in part, for the most annoying site, my bank.
    > (Thank you.) I say "in part" because the bank (as have many others)
    > now collects the user-id on one page and the password on a separate
    > page, where it also shows you a picture you've chosen, to prove that
    > they're not an imposter trying to steal your password. Your trick
    > works on the password page, but does not work on the User id page.
    > What I really want is for Firefox to memorize the values of arbitrary
    > form fields, under my control. Any further suggestions?
    >
    > /Don

    Try Roboform. It's free for up to 10(?) passwords. I don't have any 2
    page logins so I can't verify it will work but it should.

    --
    Terry R.

  6. Re: Saved passwords

    Donald Allen wrote:
    Your suggestion works, in part, for the most annoying site, my bank.
    > (Thank you.) I say "in part" because the bank (as have many others)
    > now collects the user-id on one page and the password on a separate
    > page, where it also shows you a picture you've chosen, to prove that
    > they're not an imposter trying to steal your password. Your trick
    > works on the password page, but does not work on the User id page.
    > What I really want is for Firefox to memorize the values of arbitrary
    > form fields, under my control. Any further suggestions?

    My bank does the same thing. I have the FF extension Always Remember
    Password, which works for me.

    http://roachfiend.com/archives/2005/...mber-password/

    Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread