Windows Vista User Account Control picks on Firefox - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Windows Vista User Account Control picks on Firefox - Mozilla ; I have a three month old HP with Windows Vista Ultimate. Yesterday while preparing an entry into our Computer Club's newsletter explaining how to turn on User Account Control, I found that it was not turned on on my computer. ...

  1. Windows Vista User Account Control picks on Firefox

    I have a three month old HP with Windows Vista Ultimate. Yesterday while
    preparing an entry into our Computer Club's newsletter explaining how to
    turn on User Account Control, I found that it was not turned on on my
    computer. My computer was a 5 day old demo at Sam's Club. In their set up,
    they must have turned it off.

    Whatever, I turned it on.
    I use IE 7.0.6, Avant 11.5, Netscape 9.0b1, Firefox 2.0.0.4, Opera 9.20,
    TheWorld 2.0, and Safari 3.0.2 Beta browsers.
    Enough background.

    I can open any one of these browsers without User Account Control
    interference except Firefox. With Firefox, in addition to the need to click
    "Continue", a little window pops under that states that Firefox cannot find
    the URL (for the home page) and it then opens the URL. Firefox is my
    default browser. Why does UAC discriminate in this manner?

  2. Re: Windows Vista User Account Control picks on Firefox

    This problem has been questioned many times....suggested solutions do not
    appear to solve the problem...appears with IE7 installed (XP and Vista) and
    2.0.0.4 .... solution is to use IE7 as default and FF for everything
    else....

    "Charles W Davis" wrote in message
    news:9tednaWvWaAzRgnbnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >I have a three month old HP with Windows Vista Ultimate. Yesterday while
    > preparing an entry into our Computer Club's newsletter explaining how to
    > turn on User Account Control, I found that it was not turned on on my
    > computer. My computer was a 5 day old demo at Sam's Club. In their set
    > up,
    > they must have turned it off.
    >
    > Whatever, I turned it on.
    > I use IE 7.0.6, Avant 11.5, Netscape 9.0b1, Firefox 2.0.0.4, Opera 9.20,
    > TheWorld 2.0, and Safari 3.0.2 Beta browsers.
    > Enough background.
    >
    > I can open any one of these browsers without User Account Control
    > interference except Firefox. With Firefox, in addition to the need to
    > click "Continue", a little window pops under that states that Firefox
    > cannot find the URL (for the home page) and it then opens the URL. Firefox
    > is my
    > default browser. Why does UAC discriminate in this manner?

  3. Re: Windows Vista User Account Control picks on Firefox

    Will,
    I right-clicked on the desktop icon for Firefox. Chose Properties. Then
    Clicked on the Compatibility tab. Then clicked on the Settings for All Users
    button. I unchecked Run this program as an admininstrator. Got the clue
    here: http://thevistaforums.com/lofiversio...hp/t12064.html

    Thanks you.

    "Will Goss" wrote in message
    news:I9OdnS_W99YVhQjbnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > This problem has been questioned many times....suggested solutions do not
    > appear to solve the problem...appears with IE7 installed (XP and Vista)
    > and 2.0.0.4 .... solution is to use IE7 as default and FF for everything
    > else....
    >
    > "Charles W Davis" wrote in message
    > news:9tednaWvWaAzRgnbnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>I have a three month old HP with Windows Vista Ultimate. Yesterday while
    >> preparing an entry into our Computer Club's newsletter explaining how to
    >> turn on User Account Control, I found that it was not turned on on my
    >> computer. My computer was a 5 day old demo at Sam's Club. In their set
    >> up,
    >> they must have turned it off.
    >>
    >> Whatever, I turned it on.
    >> I use IE 7.0.6, Avant 11.5, Netscape 9.0b1, Firefox 2.0.0.4, Opera 9.20,
    >> TheWorld 2.0, and Safari 3.0.2 Beta browsers.
    >> Enough background.
    >>
    >> I can open any one of these browsers without User Account Control
    >> interference except Firefox. With Firefox, in addition to the need to
    >> click "Continue", a little window pops under that states that Firefox
    >> cannot find the URL (for the home page) and it then opens the URL.
    >> Firefox is my
    >> default browser. Why does UAC discriminate in this manner?

  4. Re: Windows Vista User Account Control picks on Firefox

    Well, that was a good sugestion ..everything works ok... but ... after the
    first time it goes back erroring with "window pops under that states that
    Firefox "cannot find the URL (for the home page) and it then opens the URL".

    Must be on the right track because it does fix it for the first use........

    Thanks for the Information....

    "Charles W Davis" wrote in message
    news:boWdnchorLk8zgjbnZ2dnUVZ_umlnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Will,
    > I right-clicked on the desktop icon for Firefox. Chose Properties. Then
    > Clicked on the Compatibility tab. Then clicked on the Settings for All
    > Users button. I unchecked Run this program as an admininstrator. Got the
    > clue here: http://thevistaforums.com/lofiversio...hp/t12064.html
    >
    > Thanks you.
    >
    > "Will Goss" wrote in message
    > news:I9OdnS_W99YVhQjbnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> This problem has been questioned many times....suggested solutions do not
    >> appear to solve the problem...appears with IE7 installed (XP and Vista)
    >> and 2.0.0.4 .... solution is to use IE7 as default and FF for everything
    >> else....
    >>
    >> "Charles W Davis" wrote in message
    >> news:9tednaWvWaAzRgnbnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>>I have a three month old HP with Windows Vista Ultimate. Yesterday while
    >>> preparing an entry into our Computer Club's newsletter explaining how to
    >>> turn on User Account Control, I found that it was not turned on on my
    >>> computer. My computer was a 5 day old demo at Sam's Club. In their set
    >>> up,
    >>> they must have turned it off.
    >>>
    >>> Whatever, I turned it on.
    >>> I use IE 7.0.6, Avant 11.5, Netscape 9.0b1, Firefox 2.0.0.4, Opera 9.20,
    >>> TheWorld 2.0, and Safari 3.0.2 Beta browsers.
    >>> Enough background.
    >>>
    >>> I can open any one of these browsers without User Account Control
    >>> interference except Firefox. With Firefox, in addition to the need to
    >>> click "Continue", a little window pops under that states that Firefox
    >>> cannot find the URL (for the home page) and it then opens the URL.
    >>> Firefox is my
    >>> default browser. Why does UAC discriminate in this manner?

  5. Re: Windows Vista User Account Control picks on Firefox

    It looks like the old 'DDE' problem.

    Here is the fix:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Windows_er...file_-_Firefox

    Will Goss wrote:

    Well, that was a good sugestion ..everything works ok... but ... after the first time it goes back erroring with "window pops under that states that Firefox "cannot find the URL (for the home page) and it then opens the URL". Must be on the right track because it does fix it for the first use........ Thanks for the Information.... "Charles W Davis" <Anthemwebs@lvcoxmail.com> wrote in message news:boWdnchorLk8zgjbnZ2dnUVZ_umlnZ2d@mozilla.org...

    Will, I right-clicked on the desktop icon for Firefox. Chose Properties. Then Clicked on the Compatibility tab. Then clicked on the Settings for All Users button. I unchecked Run this program as an admininstrator. Got the clue here: http://thevistaforums.com/lofiversio...hp/t12064.html Thanks you. "Will Goss" <wgoss@besmp.com> wrote in message news:I9OdnS_W99YVhQjbnZ2dnUVZ_jKdnZ2d@mozilla.org...

    This problem has been questioned many times....suggested solutions do not appear to solve the problem...appears with IE7 installed (XP and Vista) and 2.0.0.4 .... solution is to use IE7 as default and FF for everything else.... "Charles W Davis" <Anthemwebs@lvcoxmail.com> wrote in message news:9tednaWvWaAzRgnbnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d@mozilla.org...

    I have a three month old HP with Windows Vista Ultimate. Yesterday while preparing an entry into our Computer Club's newsletter explaining how to turn on User Account Control, I found that it was not turned on on my computer. My computer was a 5 day old demo at Sam's Club. In their set up, they must have turned it off. Whatever, I turned it on. I use IE 7.0.6, Avant 11.5, Netscape 9.0b1, Firefox 2.0.0.4, Opera 9.20, TheWorld 2.0, and Safari 3.0.2 Beta browsers. Enough background. I can open any one of these browsers without User Account Control interference except Firefox. With Firefox, in addition to the need to click "Continue", a little window pops under that states that Firefox cannot find the URL (for the home page) and it then opens the URL. Firefox is my default browser. Why does UAC discriminate in this manner?

  6. Re: Windows Vista User Account Control picks on Firefox

    Vic, thats where we started some weeks ago, did not help although as I recall step 8, file type did not exhist....

    "Will Goss" wrote in message
[...]

  7. Re: Windows Vista User Account Control picks on Firefox

    First this is XP, second Alllication and Topic are seperate and do not contain System I previously followed the XP directions and the step 8 file did not exist......Problem does not exist on my other computer where older pre 2.0 Firefox is installed.....

    "Will Goss" wrote in message
[...]

    Maybe that's how M$ control the usage of Firefox .... The to basic settings needed are: FirefoxURL and FirefoxHTML
    when you make Firefox 'Default Browser' it should register FirefoxURL ..... apparently is not doing it.

    Have you checked the register and made the changes there ???

    1.. Go to "Start -> Run" (or press the windows key+R) then type regedit and click OK
    2.. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxURL\shell\open\ddeexec\Ap plication\Topic
    3.. Change (Default)'s value to System and, in ddeexec, delete the Default value of "%1",,0,0,,,,
    4.. Repeat for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxHTML\shell\open\ddeexec\A pplication\Topic
    5.. Repeat for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HTTP\shell\open\ddeexec\Applicat ion\Topic
    6.. Repeat for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\https\shell\open\ddeexec\Applica tion\Topic (and any other protocols you want to fix)
    That should work, unless Vista block it.

+ Reply to Thread