Searching Google from the Tool Bar - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Searching Google from the Tool Bar - Mozilla ; If I search Google from the search item on the toolbar, the search phrase Define: gets saved and they appear when I next do Define: from the toolbar. If I open google.com and search a phrase (not Define the phrase ...

  1. Searching Google from the Tool Bar

    If I search Google from the search item on the toolbar, the search phrase
    Define: gets saved and they appear when I next do Define: from the toolbar.
    If I open google.com and search a phrase (not Define the phrase does not
    get saved but a Define: does. I don't want the Define: (word) phrases
    entered in the toolbar search to be saved. I use the toolbar item almost
    exclusively for 'Define:' a word and wind up with a whole list of words I
    have 'defined:'

    How do I keep the 'Define:'s from being saved? Or, how do I keep the search
    phrases in the toolbar from being saved?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Searching Google from the Tool Bar

    Jack Gillis wrote:
    > If I search Google from the search item on the toolbar, the search phrase
    > Define: gets saved and they appear when I next do Define: from the toolbar.
    > If I open google.com and search a phrase (not Define the phrase does not
    > get saved but a Define: does. I don't want the Define: (word) phrases
    > entered in the toolbar search to be saved. I use the toolbar item almost
    > exclusively for 'Define:' a word and wind up with a whole list of words I
    > have 'defined:'
    >
    > How do I keep the 'Define:'s from being saved? Or, how do I keep the search
    > phrases in the toolbar from being saved?

    I don't know for sure, but I suspect that FF is considering ':' to be
    some kind of delimiter in the form history file.

    I think your only choice is to disable the form history option
    completely. Note that this will disable it for all form fields,
    including those on web pages.

    Tools -> Options -> Privacy, and UNcheck "Remember what I enter in forms
    and the search bar".

    --
    Alex K.

  3. Re: Searching Google from the Tool Bar

    "Alex K." wrote in message
    news:G82dnU6vAdKTegjbnZ2dnUVZ_vumnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Jack Gillis wrote:
    >> If I search Google from the search item on the toolbar, the search
    >> phrase
    >> Define: gets saved and they appear when I next do Define: from the
    >> toolbar.
    >> If I open google.com and search a phrase (not Define the phrase does
    >> not
    >> get saved but a Define: does. I don't want the Define: (word) phrases
    >> entered in the toolbar search to be saved. I use the toolbar item almost
    >> exclusively for 'Define:' a word and wind up with a whole list of words I
    >> have 'defined:'
    >>
    >> How do I keep the 'Define:'s from being saved? Or, how do I keep the
    >> search
    >> phrases in the toolbar from being saved?

    > I don't know for sure, but I suspect that FF is considering ':' to be
    > some kind of delimiter in the form history file.
    >
    > I think your only choice is to disable the form history option
    > completely. Note that this will disable it for all form fields,
    > including those on web pages.
    >
    > Tools -> Options -> Privacy, and UNcheck "Remember what I enter in forms
    > and the search bar".
    >
    > --

    Thank you. I will consider that.

+ Reply to Thread