Inexplicable redirection to Google - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Inexplicable redirection to Google - Mozilla ; I'm seeing some odd behavior in FF 2.0.0.4 on XP, and it really has me baffled. I have only seen this happen on one site, but extensive troubleshooting has not yielded an explanation. Description: Clicking on a link to some ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Inexplicable redirection to Google

    I'm seeing some odd behavior in FF 2.0.0.4 on XP, and it really has me
    baffled. I have only seen this happen on one site, but extensive
    troubleshooting has not yielded an explanation.

    Clicking on a link to some non-Google URL will instead take me to the
    Google or iGoogle main page.

    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Go to http://venice.jc-r.net/palaces/ in Firefox 2.0.0.4.
    2. Scroll down til you see the alphabetical listing of buildings
    (beginning with "Palazzo Agnusdio o dei quattro Evangelisti")
    3. Open the first ten links (under A and B) -- each in its own tab.
    4. Some of the tabs will be at Google.com *instead* of the URL
    specified in the HTML.

    Interesting facts:

    - With the help of some friends, this behavior has been reproduced on
    five different machines with XP and FF 2.0.0.4. It does not happen in
    IE6 or an IE tab. The behavior persists when all add-ons have been
    disabled (and FF restarted). I have not yet found a machine that does
    *not* reproduce this behavior.

    - Any given link on the page will either work as expected consistently
    or will take me to Google consistently. This behavior will not change.
    However, the links that work and the links that fail *vary between
    machines*. For instance, one of my machines will always go to Google
    on "Palazzo Badoer Tiepolo" -- http://venice.jc-r.net/palaces/badoer-tiepolo.htm
    -- while another of my machines will always take me to the target URL
    as expected. I have not found two machines that fail on the same set
    of links. Rebooting a machine seems to result in a different set of
    links thereafter.

    - On an offending link, the browser goes to Google *regardless* of
    whether the link is clicked on or pasted into the URL bar.

    - Although nothing in the CSS or Javascript looked out of the
    ordinary, I made my own bare-bones HTML file (here: http://testo.hopto.org/test/),
    and even THAT causes the weird jumps to Google. I've tried changing
    the anchor text, encoding, HTML standard (using
    instead of

    >, for example), but nothing seems to fix it.

    - This isn't some traditional web redirect, and it can't be something
    that's happening with a 404 (since different machines can fail or
    succeed on the same file simultaneously.

    - Although I don't think add-ons are related since this is being
    reproduced on machines with different users, the extensions I have
    installed are as follows: Image show/hide, Scrapbook, IE View, Add
    Bookmark Here, Delicious Delicacies, Copy Plaintext, MapIt!, DOM
    Inspector, and Talkback

    So, any ideas? I've gone through the about:config preferences looking
    for instances of a Google URL, but the changes I've made there have
    had no effect. I'm not really looking for a workaround -- heck, I can
    just view it in IE -- but this is so inexplicable that I'd really like
    to know what's going on.

    Thanks!

    Sarah

  2. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    On 7/10/2007 6:25 PM sarah.anon@gmail.com inquired:

    > I'm seeing some odd behavior in FF 2.0.0.4 on XP, and it really has me
    > baffled. I have only seen this happen on one site, but extensive
    > troubleshooting has not yielded an explanation.

    > Clicking on a link to some non-Google URL will instead take me to the
    > Google or iGoogle main page.
    >
    > Steps to reproduce:
    > 1. Go to http://venice.jc-r.net/palaces/ in Firefox 2.0.0.4.
    > 2. Scroll down til you see the alphabetical listing of buildings
    > (beginning with "Palazzo Agnusdio o dei quattro Evangelisti")
    > 3. Open the first ten links (under A and B) -- each in its own tab.
    > 4. Some of the tabs will be at Google.com *instead* of the URL
    > specified in the HTML.

    ok, that happens..

    > Interesting facts:
    >
    > - With the help of some friends, this behavior has been reproduced on
    > five different machines with XP and FF 2.0.0.4. It does not happen in
    > IE6 or an IE tab. The behavior persists when all add-ons have been
    > disabled (and FF restarted). I have not yet found a machine that does
    > *not* reproduce this behavior.
    >
    > - Any given link on the page will either work as expected consistently
    > or will take me to Google consistently. This behavior will not change.
    > However, the links that work and the links that fail *vary between
    > machines*. For instance, one of my machines will always go to Google
    > on "Palazzo Badoer Tiepolo" -- http://venice.jc-r.net/palaces/badoer-tiepolo.htm
    > -- while another of my machines will always take me to the target URL
    > as expected. I have not found two machines that fail on the same set
    > of links. Rebooting a machine seems to result in a different set of
    > links thereafter.
    >
    > - On an offending link, the browser goes to Google *regardless* of
    > whether the link is clicked on or pasted into the URL bar.
    >
    > - Although nothing in the CSS or Javascript looked out of the
    > ordinary, I made my own bare-bones HTML file (here: http://testo.hopto.org/test/),
    > and even THAT causes the weird jumps to Google. I've tried changing
    > the anchor text, encoding, HTML standard (using
    instead of

    >>, for example), but nothing seems to fix it.

    > - This isn't some traditional web redirect, and it can't be something
    > that's happening with a 404 (since different machines can fail or
    > succeed on the same file simultaneously.
    >
    > - Although I don't think add-ons are related since this is being
    > reproduced on machines with different users, the extensions I have
    > installed are as follows: Image show/hide, Scrapbook, IE View, Add
    > Bookmark Here, Delicious Delicacies, Copy Plaintext, MapIt!, DOM
    > Inspector, and Talkback
    >
    > So, any ideas? I've gone through the about:config preferences looking
    > for instances of a Google URL, but the changes I've made there have
    > had no effect. I'm not really looking for a workaround -- heck, I can
    > just view it in IE -- but this is so inexplicable that I'd really like
    > to know what's going on.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Sarah

    you might want to look at

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...er-tiepolo.htm
    for a possible source of your problem...

  3. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    On Jul 10, 8:44 pm, goodwin wrote:
    > you might want to look at
    > >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...c-r.net%2Fpala...

    > for a possible source of your problem...

    Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that explains it. I have no
    doubt that the HTML is not W3C compliant on this guy's page, but on my
    little bare-bones test page (http://testo.hopto.org/test/) -- which is
    also not W3C compliant, I might add -- there's still no *reason* for a
    redirect to Google. Sure, the HTML isn't perfect, but why should that
    result in these weird redirects? Why should they be different on
    different machines? Why should it only happen in Firefox? What is the
    air-spped velocity of an unladen swallow?

    Inquisitively,
    Sarah

  4. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    > you might want to look at
    > >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...c-r.net%2Fpala...

    > for a possible source of your problem...

    Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that explains it. I have no
    doubt that the HTML is not W3C compliant on this guy's page, but on my
    little bare-bones test page (http://testo.hopto.org/test/) -- which is
    also not W3C compliant, I might add -- there's still no *reason* for a
    redirect to Google. Sure, the HTML isn't perfect, but why should that
    result in these weird redirects? Why should they be different on
    different machines? Why should it only happen in Firefox? What is the
    air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

    Inquisitively,
    Sarah

  5. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    sarah.anon@gmail.com wrote:
    >> you might want to look at
    >> >http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...c-r.net%2Fpala...

    >> for a possible source of your problem...

    > Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that explains it. I have no
    > doubt that the HTML is not W3C compliant on this guy's page, but on my
    > little bare-bones test page (http://testo.hopto.org/test/) -- which is
    > also not W3C compliant, I might add -- there's still no *reason* for a
    > redirect to Google. Sure, the HTML isn't perfect, but why should that
    > result in these weird redirects? Why should they be different on
    > different machines? Why should it only happen in Firefox? What is the
    > air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
    >
    > Inquisitively,
    > Sarah

    This link you provided doesn't redirect me to Google. Nice palaces by
    the way

  6. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:25:15 -0000, in message <1184117115.944570.71080@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.c om>,
    sarah.anon@gmail.com wrote:

    > I'm seeing some odd behavior in FF 2.0.0.4 on XP, and it really has me
    > baffled. I have only seen this happen on one site, but extensive
    > troubleshooting has not yielded an explanation.

    > Clicking on a link to some non-Google URL will instead take me to the
    > Google or iGoogle main page.
    >
    > Steps to reproduce:
    > 1. Go to http://venice.jc-r.net/palaces/ in Firefox 2.0.0.4.
    > 2. Scroll down til you see the alphabetical listing of buildings
    > (beginning with "Palazzo Agnusdio o dei quattro Evangelisti")
    > 3. Open the first ten links (under A and B) -- each in its own tab.
    > 4. Some of the tabs will be at Google.com *instead* of the URL
    > specified in the HTML.
    >
    > Interesting facts:
    >
    > - With the help of some friends, this behavior has been reproduced on
    > five different machines with XP and FF 2.0.0.4. It does not happen in
    > IE6 or an IE tab. The behavior persists when all add-ons have been
    > disabled (and FF restarted). I have not yet found a machine that does
    > *not* reproduce this behavior.
    >
    > - Any given link on the page will either work as expected consistently
    > or will take me to Google consistently. This behavior will not change.

    I have seen it change. For example, "Palazzo Albrizzi Fondamenta San Andrea"

    worked as expected the first time, and went to Google the second.
    Perhaps the difference is timing-related?

    I haven't tested it thoroughly yet to confirm, but the pages which
    do sometimes show the problem appear to be the same ones which also
    have a script with a mistyped src URL.

    Note the comma (not a period) after the "www".

    > However, the links that work and the links that fail *vary between
    > machines*. For instance, one of my machines will always go to Google
    > on "Palazzo Badoer Tiepolo" -- http://venice.jc-r.net/palaces/badoer-tiepolo.htm
    > -- while another of my machines will always take me to the target URL
    > as expected. I have not found two machines that fail on the same set
    > of links. Rebooting a machine seems to result in a different set of
    > links thereafter.
    >
    > - On an offending link, the browser goes to Google *regardless* of
    > whether the link is clicked on or pasted into the URL bar.
    >
    > - Although nothing in the CSS or Javascript looked out of the
    > ordinary,

    See above for something apparently "wrong".

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  7. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    On 11.07.2007 05:21, Ralph Fox wrote:

> [...]

    instead of

    >> >, for example), but nothing seems to fix it.

    >> - This isn't some traditional web redirect, and it can't be something
    >> that's happening with a 404 (since different machines can fail or
    >> succeed on the same file simultaneously.
    >>
    >> - Although I don't think add-ons are related since this is being
    >> reproduced on machines with different users, the extensions I have
    >> installed are as follows: Image show/hide, Scrapbook, IE View, Add
    >> Bookmark Here, Delicious Delicacies, Copy Plaintext, MapIt!, DOM
    >> Inspector, and Talkback
    >>
    >> So, any ideas? I've gone through the about:config preferences looking
    >> for instances of a Google URL, but the changes I've made there have
    >> had no effect. I'm not really looking for a workaround -- heck, I can
    >> just view it in IE -- but this is so inexplicable that I'd really like

    I can confirm that and also by turning off javascript there are no
    redirects to Google with any links anywhere on the site.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  8. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > Ralph Fox wrote:

    >> I haven't tested it thoroughly yet to confirm, but the pages which
    >> do sometimes show the problem appear to be the same ones which also
    >> have a script with a mistyped src URL.
    >>

    >> Note the comma (not a period) after the "www".

    > I can confirm that and also by turning off javascript there are no
    > redirects to Google with any links anywhere on the site.

    I disagree.

    I'm observing this on two systems, one w/ W98se + ff2.0.0.4 and one w/
    Ubuntu 7.04 + ff2.

    The problem behavior does not change by disabling javascript on ff for
    me, and I don't think it is a 'redirect' -- where redirect implies that
    the browser goes to the page and then is redirected to a different page.

    ff is 'replacing' the address with the google address for inexplicable
    reasons. The javascript error on the target page is not the answer.

    BTW, the configuration for accessing the javascript option is
    significantly different in the Win ff than the Ub ff. Different menu
    for the option, different tab structure for the location of the option.

    --
    Mike Easter

  9. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    Andrés M. wrote:
    > This link you provided doesn't redirect me to Google. Nice palaces by
    > the way

    Andrés, since you seem to be unable to reproduce this, I'm curious if
    you're also using XP and FF 2.0.0.4. Are you?

    Sarah

  10. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > I disagree.

    I agree with Mike. Turning off Javascript didn't fix it for me either.
    And that wouldn't agree with the fact that different systems succeed
    and fail on different links. And even if it *were* Javascript, that
    still doesn't explain why it's going to Google instead. I don't think
    there's any secret Firefox code that says

    if (Javascript doesn't make sense)
    then (ahh, heck, just send them to Google)

    Sarah

  11. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:16:28 -0000, in message <1184156188.629726.249350@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups. com>,
    sarah.anon@gmail.com wrote:

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    > > I disagree.

    > I agree with Mike. Turning off Javascript didn't fix it for me either.

    Turning off Javascript also didn't fix it for me, which has me puzzled.

    I was expecting (perhaps idealistically) that by turning off Javascript,
    FFx would not even *think* about the broken js source URL
    "http://www,jc-r.net/js/external.js"

    > And that wouldn't agree with the fact that different systems succeed
    > and fail on different links.

    There could be a timing-related issue here, as I wrote.
    Different systems would have different timing.

    > And even if it *were* Javascript, that
    > still doesn't explain why it's going to Google instead. I don't think
    > there's any secret Firefox code that says
    >
    > if (Javascript doesn't make sense)
    > then (ahh, heck, just send them to Google)

    OTOH there is non-secret Firefox code which says "if URL does not
    make sense, ask [[insert Internet Keywords service here]]".
    The default Internet Keywords service is Google.
    See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.URL

    However, disabling Internet Keywords searching still does not fix it
    for me. I'm more puzzled.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  12. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    On Jul 11, 8:20 am, Ralph Fox <-...@-.invalid> wrote:
    > OTOH there is non-secret Firefox code which says "if URL does not
    > make sense, ask [[insert Internet Keywords service here]]".
    > The default Internet Keywords service is Google.
    > Seehttp://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.URL

    Ralph,

    Yes, good idea; I tried that yesterday as well. In addition to
    disabling it, I also tried replacing it with a string that would go to
    Yahoo instead, but that had no effect. I also tried setting the in-
    browser search box to something besides Google, which also was
    useless. It just doesn't seem to make sense!

    Thanks, everybody, for your continued suggestions...

    Sarah

  13. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    sarah.anon@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Jul 11, 8:20 am, Ralph Fox <-...@-.invalid> wrote:
    >> OTOH there is non-secret Firefox code which says "if URL does not
    >> make sense, ask [[insert Internet Keywords service here]]".
    >> The default Internet Keywords service is Google.
    >> Seehttp://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.URL

    > Ralph,
    >
    > Yes, good idea; I tried that yesterday as well. In addition to
    > disabling it, I also tried replacing it with a string that would go to
    > Yahoo instead, but that had no effect. I also tried setting the in-
    > browser search box to something besides Google, which also was
    > useless. It just doesn't seem to make sense!
    >
    > Thanks, everybody, for your continued suggestions...
    >
    > Sarah

    It is also possible that your ISP may be redirecting you to Google when
    you request a bad URL.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  14. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > sarah.anon@gmail.com wrote:

    >> And even if it *were* Javascript, that
    >> still doesn't explain why it's going to Google instead. I don't think
    >> there's any secret Firefox code that says
    >>
    >> if (Javascript doesn't make sense)
    >> then (ahh, heck, just send them to Google)

    The b0rken .js is at the target. ff isn't ;seeing; the target's html at
    all. It doesn't go/get there.

    > OTOH there is non-secret Firefox code which says "if URL does not
    > make sense, ask [[insert Internet Keywords service here]]".
    > The default Internet Keywords service is Google.
    > See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.URL

    Yes. I think that function is at the 'heart' of the misbehavior. The
    glitch is operating as if ff is 'misinterpreting' the link as needing to
    be substituted with google. As if, say, ff determines that a url with
    too many dashes in it is no good, so it is going to use the keyword
    default instead.

    I just used the dash example as a forinstance. The dysfunction isn't
    working like that.

    > However, disabling Internet Keywords searching still does not fix it
    > for me. I'm more puzzled.

    I haven't tried the disabling because I'm in a system on a different
    browser right now.

    --
    Mike Easter

  15. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    goodwin wrote:
> [...]

    >> succeed on the same file simultaneously.
    >>
    >> - Although I don't think add-ons are related since this is being
    >> reproduced on machines with different users, the extensions I have
    >> installed are as follows: Image show/hide, Scrapbook, IE View, Add
    >> Bookmark Here, Delicious Delicacies, Copy Plaintext, MapIt!, DOM
    >> Inspector, and Talkback
    >>
    >> So, any ideas? I've gone through the about:config preferences looking
    >> for instances of a Google URL, but the changes I've made there have
    >> had no effect. I'm not really looking for a workaround -- heck, I can
    >> just view it in IE -- but this is so inexplicable that I'd really like
    >> to know what's going on.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Sarah
    >>

    > you might want to look at
    > >

    > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...er-tiepolo.htm
    > for a possible source of your problem...

    I do not get any redirection to Google with those links, even when I
    bypass Proxomitron filtering.
    The source code for the main page and the link destination pages has
    nothing about Google in it.

  16. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    sarah.anon@gmail.com wrote:
    > Andrés M. wrote:
    >> This link you provided doesn't redirect me to Google. Nice palaces by
    >> the way

    > Andrés, since you seem to be unable to reproduce this, I'm curious if
    > you're also using XP and FF 2.0.0.4. Are you?
    >
    > Sarah

    I am also using XP with FF 2.0.0.4. I installed Firefox from a zip
    file. I have no idea if that is significant or not. I also have no
    Google items installed at all - not even the search plugin.

  17. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 11.07.2007 05:21, Ralph Fox wrote:

    I had Javascript enabled when I tried that site.

  18. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    EE wrote:
    > sarah.anon@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Andrés M. wrote:
    >>> This link you provided doesn't redirect me to Google. Nice palaces by
    >>> the way

    >> Andrés, since you seem to be unable to reproduce this, I'm curious if
    >> you're also using XP and FF 2.0.0.4. Are you?
    >>
    >> Sarah
    >>

    > I am also using XP with FF 2.0.0.4. I installed Firefox from a zip
    > file. I have no idea if that is significant or not. I also have no
    > Google items installed at all - not even the search plugin.

    Correction - it is actually 2.0.0.5pre, which is close to 2.0.0.4.

  19. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > sarah.anon@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On Jul 11, 8:20 am, Ralph Fox <-...@-.invalid> wrote:
    >>> OTOH there is non-secret Firefox code which says "if URL does not
    >>> make sense, ask [[insert Internet Keywords service here]]".
    >>> The default Internet Keywords service is Google.
    >>> Seehttp://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.URL

    >> Ralph,
    >>
    >> Yes, good idea; I tried that yesterday as well. In addition to
    >> disabling it, I also tried replacing it with a string that would go to
    >> Yahoo instead, but that had no effect. I also tried setting the in-
    >> browser search box to something besides Google, which also was
    >> useless. It just doesn't seem to make sense!
    >>
    >> Thanks, everybody, for your continued suggestions...
    >>
    >> Sarah
    >>

    > It is also possible that your ISP may be redirecting you to Google when
    > you request a bad URL.

    Which may be why when I try it, I get a blank page. No redirect to
    Google. But, if I select to open it in an IE tab the page displays
    correctly.

    --
    Jordon

  20. Re: Inexplicable redirection to Google

    Hi Sarah,
    I had no problem with the page, and I had loaded the links into
    tabs without problem and had checked to see what would happen
    if I gave an incorrect url and nothing matched your problem. Was
    thinking a bad link was forcing you to Google's I'm feeling lucky.

    I ran the page throut the W3C Link validator (via Web Developer)
    and got the following interesting results about two of the links
    being redirected -- as I say the original and new link both work for me.

    http://www.jc-r.net/venezia/palazzi/indexe.html redirected to
    http://venice.jc-r.net/palaces/
    What to do: You should update the link.
    Response status code: 301 -> 200
    Response message: Moved Permanently -> OK
    Line: 7
    http://venice.jc-r.net/venezia/doges-palace/ redirected to
    http://venice.jc-r.net/doges-palace/
    What to do: You should update the link.
    Response status code: 301 -> 200
    Response message: Moved Permanently -> OK
    Line: 5

    Do you have any extensions with redirect in their name.
    In about:config, I have network.http.redirection-limit set to 20 (default)
    according to http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    if you have the limit set to 0 then no redirection will occur.

    Changing that value to 0 (which is immediately effective)
    I get the following warning message:
    Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for the address in a way that will never complete. [OK]

    doesn't sound like what you actually have, but I'm sure it's getting
    closer.
    http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/03/i...microsoft.html

    what do you have for the configuration entry
    browser.search.defaulturl
    mine is empty because I don't want any search to start from the
    location bar that I do not start myself.

    There were some replies in this long thread that could have used
    a lot more trimming.
    --
    David McRitchie, Firefox Customizations (Notes)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast