firefox 2.0.0.4 marquee keeps running, not stopping. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on firefox 2.0.0.4 marquee keeps running, not stopping. - Mozilla ; First, Is there a more appropriate group for questions like this? Internet Explorer stops after two passes as it should. Firefox keeps scrolling. This is the header of a Frames page. D:\rnc3.com\jacob\header.htm Carl...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: firefox 2.0.0.4 marquee keeps running, not stopping.

  1. firefox 2.0.0.4 marquee keeps running, not stopping.

    First, Is there a more appropriate group for questions like this?

    Internet Explorer stops after two passes as it should.

    Firefox keeps scrolling.

    This is the header of a Frames page.

    D:\rnc3.com\jacob\header.htm

    Carl

  2. Re: firefox 2.0.0.4 marquee keeps running, not stopping.

    In ,
    lurker wrote:

    >First, Is there a more appropriate group for questions like this?
    >
    >Internet Explorer stops after two passes as it should.
    >
    >Firefox keeps scrolling.
    >
    >This is the header of a Frames page.
    >
    >D:\rnc3.com\jacob\header.htm


    , in case you don't want to have to
    mail your drive to us. Sorry, I can't help with marquee stuff.

    --
    Q

  3. Re: firefox 2.0.0.4 marquee keeps running, not stopping.

    lurker wrote:
    > First, Is there a more appropriate group for questions like this?
    >
    > Internet Explorer stops after two passes as it should.
    >
    > Firefox keeps scrolling.
    >
    > This is the header of a Frames page.
    >
    > D:\rnc3.com\jacob\header.htm
    >
    > Carl


    The tag is originally proprietary Microsoft stuff. Due to popular
    demand, Gecko has made some effort to emulate it, but the emulation might not
    be perfect. AFAIK, that tag is still not part of the "official" HTML language
    as described by the W3C anyway, so what a proper browser "should" do with it
    might quite possibly be to ignore it ;-). I don't know how to make the
    scrolling stop after exactly two iterations; but if you want text to
    display without any scrolling at all, there exists a well-known hack to do
    exactly that: find where your profile is located (the Knowledge Base article
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder may help you), go to its "chrome"
    subfolder, and, with any plaintext editor such as gvim or WordPad, edit (or
    create if it doesn't exist) a file named userContent.css -- then save your
    work and restart Firefox.

    Here's the hack (courtesy of http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html ):

    /*
    * suppress scrolling (but don't suppress display) of tags
    */
    marquee
    { -moz-binding: none !important
    ; display: block !important
    ; height: auto !important
    }



    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    GUARD #1: Where'd you get the coconut?
    ARTHUR: We found them.
    GUARD #1: Found them? In Mercea? The coconut's tropical!
    ARTHUR: What do you mean?
    GUARD #1: Well, this is a temperate zone.
    The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty Python)

  4. Re: firefox 2.0.0.4 marquee keeps running, not stopping.

    Date 7/7/2007 10:44 AM by, Thunderbird leader Tony Mechelynck teletyped
    to announce :
    > lurker wrote:
    >
    >> First, Is there a more appropriate group for questions like this?
    >>
    >> Internet Explorer stops after two passes as it should.
    >>
    >> Firefox keeps scrolling.
    >>
    >> This is the header of a Frames page.
    >>
    >> D:\rnc3.com\jacob\header.htm
    >>
    >> Carl
    >>

    >
    > The tag is originally proprietary Microsoft stuff. Due to popular
    > demand, Gecko has made some effort to emulate it, but the emulation might not
    > be perfect. AFAIK, that tag is still not part of the "official" HTML language
    > as described by the W3C anyway, so what a proper browser "should" do with it
    > might quite possibly be to ignore it ;-). I don't know how to make the
    > scrolling stop after exactly two iterations; but if you want text to
    > display without any scrolling at all, there exists a well-known hack to do
    > exactly that: find where your profile is located (the Knowledge Base article
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder may help you), go to its "chrome"
    > subfolder, and, with any plaintext editor such as gvim or WordPad, edit (or
    > create if it doesn't exist) a file named userContent.css -- then save your
    > work and restart Firefox.
    >
    > Here's the hack (courtesy of http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html ):
    >
    > /*
    > * suppress scrolling (but don't suppress display) of tags
    > */
    > marquee
    > { -moz-binding: none !important
    > ; display: block !important
    > ; height: auto !important
    > }
    >
    >
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Tony.
    >

    Earier this year code for nearly full marquee support was turned on in
    Gecko. The attributes include vertiacl and horizontal scrolling. I was
    recently tested in the netscape.test.mutimedia group. Apparently it can
    be accessed by JS so could have iteration control.

    This is a sample of what now works. The primary test post has scrolled
    off the server.
    marquee scrolldelay="45" scrollamount="1" direction="up"
    behavior="scroll" height="650"

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting


  5. Re: firefox 2.0.0.4 marquee keeps running, not stopping.

    In ,
    Q wrote:

    >In ,
    >lurker wrote:
    >
    >>First, Is there a more appropriate group for questions like this?
    >>
    >>Internet Explorer stops after two passes as it should.
    >>
    >>Firefox keeps scrolling.
    >>
    >>This is the header of a Frames page.
    >>
    >>D:\rnc3.com\jacob\header.htm

    >
    >


    I see the same behavior you do, as if there were no scrollamount
    attribute. The DOM Inspector shows that Gecko does see the
    scrollamount="2" (and also gives the marquee tag a loop="2" attribute),
    but Firefox doesn't seem to honor that. It looks like a bug to me, but
    I couldn't find anything in bugzilla.

    --
    Q

  6. Re: firefox 2.0.0.4 marquee keeps running, not stopping.

    Q wrote:
    > In ,
    > Q wrote:
    >
    >> In ,
    >> lurker wrote:
    >>
    >>> First, Is there a more appropriate group for questions like this?
    >>>
    >>> Internet Explorer stops after two passes as it should.
    >>>
    >>> Firefox keeps scrolling.
    >>>
    >>> This is the header of a Frames page.
    >>>
    >>> D:\rnc3.com\jacob\header.htm

    >>

    >
    > I see the same behavior you do, as if there were no scrollamount
    > attribute. The DOM Inspector shows that Gecko does see the
    > scrollamount="2" (and also gives the marquee tag a loop="2" attribute),
    > but Firefox doesn't seem to honor that. It looks like a bug to me, but
    > I couldn't find anything in bugzilla.
    >


    Thanks for that!!

    Should I go to bugzilla and learn how to open a bug?

  7. Re: firefox 2.0.0.4 marquee keeps running, not stopping.

    Ron K. wrote:
    > Date 7/7/2007 10:44 AM by, Thunderbird leader Tony Mechelynck teletyped
    > to announce :
    >> lurker wrote:
    >>
    >>> First, Is there a more appropriate group for questions like this?
    >>>
    >>> Internet Explorer stops after two passes as it should.
    >>>
    >>> Firefox keeps scrolling.
    >>>
    >>> This is the header of a Frames page.
    >>>
    >>> D:\rnc3.com\jacob\header.htm
    >>>
    >>> Carl
    >>>

    >>
    >> The tag is originally proprietary Microsoft stuff. Due to
    >> popular demand, Gecko has made some effort to emulate it, but the
    >> emulation might not be perfect. AFAIK, that tag is still not part of
    >> the "official" HTML language as described by the W3C anyway, so what a
    >> proper browser "should" do with it might quite possibly be to ignore
    >> it ;-). I don't know how to make the scrolling stop after exactly two
    >> iterations; but if you want text to display without any
    >> scrolling at all, there exists a well-known hack to do exactly that:
    >> find where your profile is located (the Knowledge Base article
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder may help you), go to its
    >> "chrome" subfolder, and, with any plaintext editor such as gvim or
    >> WordPad, edit (or create if it doesn't exist) a file named
    >> userContent.css -- then save your work and restart Firefox.
    >>
    >> Here's the hack (courtesy of
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html ):
    >>
    >> /*
    >> * suppress scrolling (but don't suppress display) of tags
    >> */
    >> marquee
    >> { -moz-binding: none !important
    >> ; display: block !important
    >> ; height: auto !important
    >> }
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.
    >>
    >
    > Earier this year code for nearly full marquee support was turned on in
    > Gecko. The attributes include vertiacl and horizontal scrolling. I was
    > recently tested in the netscape.test.mutimedia group. Apparently it can
    > be accessed by JS so could have iteration control.
    >
    > This is a sample of what now works. The primary test post has scrolled
    > off the server.
    > marquee scrolldelay="45" scrollamount="1" direction="up"
    > behavior="scroll" height="650"
    >


    This is the markup.


    I guess the "loop=" is what's missing in the gecko support.
    It's not really a problem; it's just different, therefore a surprise. Stopping the marquee is simply a convenience if
    there are embedded links (like I am using.)

    Carl

  8. Re: firefox 2.0.0.4 marquee keeps running, not stopping.

    king wrote:
    > Q wrote:
    >> In ,
    >> Q wrote:
    >>
    >>> In ,
    >>> lurker wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> First, Is there a more appropriate group for questions like this?
    >>>>
    >>>> Internet Explorer stops after two passes as it should.
    >>>>
    >>>> Firefox keeps scrolling.
    >>>>
    >>>> This is the header of a Frames page.
    >>>>
    >>>> D:\rnc3.com\jacob\header.htm
    >>>

    >>
    >> I see the same behavior you do, as if there were no scrollamount
    >> attribute. The DOM Inspector shows that Gecko does see the
    >> scrollamount="2" (and also gives the marquee tag a loop="2" attribute),
    >> but Firefox doesn't seem to honor that. It looks like a bug to me, but
    >> I couldn't find anything in bugzilla.
    >>

    >
    > Thanks for that!!
    >
    > Should I go to bugzilla and learn how to open a bug?


    Whether to report _this_ problem on Bugzilla is your decision. In any case,
    IMHO knowing how to use Bugzilla is a useful skill.


    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.
    -- Paul Beatty

  9. Re: firefox 2.0.0.4 marquee keeps running, not stopping.

    In ,
    king wrote:

    >Q wrote:
    >> In ,
    >> Q wrote:
    >>
    >>> In ,
    >>> lurker wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> First, Is there a more appropriate group for questions like this?
    >>>>
    >>>> Internet Explorer stops after two passes as it should.
    >>>>
    >>>> Firefox keeps scrolling.
    >>>>
    >>>> This is the header of a Frames page.
    >>>>
    >>>> D:\rnc3.com\jacob\header.htm
    >>>

    >>
    >> I see the same behavior you do, as if there were no scrollamount
    >> attribute. The DOM Inspector shows that Gecko does see the
    >> scrollamount="2" (and also gives the marquee tag a loop="2"
    >> attribute), but Firefox doesn't seem to honor that. It looks like a
    >> bug to me, but I couldn't find anything in bugzilla.
    >>

    >
    >Thanks for that!!
    >
    >Should I go to bugzilla and learn how to open a bug?


    Sorry -- I misunderstood something earlier. Firefox does honor
    scrollamount, to control the speed. But it doesn't honor loop, which
    should control the number of times the marquee scrolls by, which is
    what you were talking about in the first place.

    If you do file a bug, you might want to point to
    , the bug in which
    Firefox got marquee loop support in the first place. I didn't see any
    bugs reporting the current situation, but that doesn't mean there
    aren't any; you should probably do your best to search bugzilla before
    filing a new one.

    --
    Q