modify user agent in Firefox 2.0.0.4 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on modify user agent in Firefox 2.0.0.4 - Mozilla ; As per subject - is it possible? I have tried the plug-in but it is very flaky and reverts every time I close FF. Some time ago I tried modifying about :config but it broke FF, in 2.0.0.1 I think. ...

  1. modify user agent in Firefox 2.0.0.4

    --
    regards zerostress

    ### stress is a self-inflicted injury ###

    BOTBAIT
    abuse@aol.com abuse@yahoo.com abuse@hotmail.com

  2. Re: modify user agent in Firefox 2.0.0.4

    On 7/6/2007 06:25 PM India Time, _zerostress_ wrote:

    > As per subject - is it possible?
    > I have tried the plug-in but it is very flaky and reverts every time I
    > close FF. Some time ago I tried modifying about:config but it broke FF,
    > in 2.0.0.1 I think.

    I think there is some problem in user agent switcher add-on in ff 2*

    Just the other day, I needed to download a file from megaupload and I
    faced the usual allslotsbusy message. I have already added user agent
    Alexa and previously whenever I switched the agent to that, megaupload
    had allowed me download. But not this time. It just didn't work.

    I had to download megaupload toolbar which installed itself into ie and
    ff and then I could download using ie.

    --
    Vicks

  3. Re: modify user agent in Firefox 2.0.0.4

    zerostress wrote:
    > As per subject - is it possible?
    > I have tried the plug-in but it is very flaky and reverts every time I
    > close FF. Some time ago I tried modifying about:config but it broke FF,
    > in 2.0.0.1 I think.

    it does help if you tell us what "plug-in" you're talking
    about. I use this one and it work just great:
    http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: modify user agent in Firefox 2.0.0.4

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:33:41 -0700, in message ,
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > zerostress wrote:
    > > As per subject - is it possible?
    > > I have tried the plug-in but it is very flaky and reverts every time I
    > > close FF. Some time ago I tried modifying about:config but it broke FF,
    > > in 2.0.0.1 I think.

    > it does help if you tell us what "plug-in" you're talking
    > about. I use this one and it work just great:
    > http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

    It would also help if the OP could provide any other examples of flaky.

    If the OP's only problem is that the user-agent reverts every time
    the OP closes FF, then I believe that this was a design decision to
    work around an issue in the Java plug-in.

    See http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html#Issues

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  5. Re: modify user agent in Firefox 2.0.0.4

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:33:41 -0700, in message ,
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> zerostress wrote:
    >>> As per subject - is it possible?
    >>> I have tried the plug-in but it is very flaky and reverts every time I
    >>> close FF. Some time ago I tried modifying about:config but it broke FF,
    >>> in 2.0.0.1 I think.

    >> it does help if you tell us what "plug-in" you're talking
    >> about. I use this one and it work just great:
    >> http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

    > It would also help if the OP could provide any other examples of flaky.
    >
    > If the OP's only problem is that the user-agent reverts every time
    > the OP closes FF, then I believe that this was a design decision to
    > work around an issue in the Java plug-in.
    >
    > See http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html#Issues
    >
    > | Java FAQ
    > | Known Issues
    > |
    > | * Do not use Java with a spoofed useragent, as this may cause
    > | crashes (Bug 83376 - a JRE issue).
    > | * If you must spoof your useragent, make sure it is reset to
    > | the default before restarting your browser.

    thats why if you're using the UA Switcher, then when you
    restart the browser, it reverts back to the default UA
    automatically.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: modify user agent in Firefox 2.0.0.4

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:33:41 -0700, in message ,
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> zerostress wrote:
    >>> As per subject - is it possible?
    >>> I have tried the plug-in but it is very flaky and reverts every time I
    >>> close FF. Some time ago I tried modifying about:config but it broke FF,
    >>> in 2.0.0.1 I think.

    >> it does help if you tell us what "plug-in" you're talking
    >> about. I use this one and it work just great:
    >> http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

    > It would also help if the OP could provide any other examples of flaky.
    >
    > If the OP's only problem is that the user-agent reverts every time
    > the OP closes FF, then I believe that this was a design decision to
    > work around an issue in the Java plug-in.
    >
    > See http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/java.html#Issues
    >
    > | Java FAQ
    > | Known Issues
    > |
    > | * Do not use Java with a spoofed useragent, as this may cause
    > | crashes (Bug 83376 - a JRE issue).
    > | * If you must spoof your useragent, make sure it is reset to
    > | the default before restarting your browser.

    Speaking from previous unpleasant experiences, leaving the user-agent
    set incorrectly when exiting is NOT a good thing to do.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  7. Re: modify user agent in Firefox 2.0.0.4

    zerostress wrote:
    > As per subject - is it possible?
    > I have tried the plug-in but it is very flaky and reverts every time I
    > close FF. Some time ago I tried modifying about:config but it broke FF,
    > in 2.0.0.1 I think.

    Yes it is but you would be well served to add the USER Agent Switcher.

    While I am not a fan of having to use extensions. In todays world of
    websites. and Professional Dumbass web designers UA Switcher is actually
    a necessity.

    (see My previous gripes about this subject related to Suntrust and their
    bill pay system both for SeaMonkey and FireFox).

  8. Re: modify user agent in Firefox 2.0.0.4

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > zerostress wrote:
    >> As per subject - is it possible?
    >> I have tried the plug-in but it is very flaky and reverts every time I
    >> close FF. Some time ago I tried modifying about:config but it broke
    >> FF, in 2.0.0.1 I think.

    > Yes it is but you would be well served to add the USER Agent Switcher.
    >
    > While I am not a fan of having to use extensions. In todays world of
    > websites. and Professional Dumbass web designers UA Switcher is actually
    > a necessity.
    >
    > (see My previous gripes about this subject related to Suntrust and their
    > bill pay system both for SeaMonkey and FireFox).

    I don't use it, because of some really ugly problems in the past. Just
    using IE Tab takes care of it nicely, and with minimal risk to my setup.
    Of course I have a 'live' malware/spyware checker, and a good
    firewall, and after running with IE Tab use a stand-alone spyware killer.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread