Tabs not shrinking any more?!?! - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Tabs not shrinking any more?!?! - Mozilla ; Hi, My Firefox has just updated to version 2.0.0.4 I use Firefox all day for my work. My work is a fairly involved website admin task. I loved the way that tabs on pre v2 Firefox would shrink so I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    Hi,

    My Firefox has just updated to version 2.0.0.4

    I use Firefox all day for my work. My work is a fairly involved website
    admin task. I loved the way that tabs on pre v2 Firefox would shrink so I
    could have 20 or so tabs open in one window, as I often needed this many
    open so I could refer to many pages quickly. The new method of scrolling has
    totally broken my work flow now, and I will probably have to go back to 1.5
    :-(

    I cannot for the life of me think why the old functionality was thrown out.
    It worked great!

    I see lots of other discussions about other solutions like multiple rows,
    expanding tabs etc, but TBH I think these are all solutions in search of a
    problem.

    If people find they can't read the tabs, or do not have the spatial
    awareness to remember what tab was what, then they should simply not open as
    many tabs, or open another window.

    Scrolling the tabs is horrible. I need a compact and fast interface, not big
    icons with lots of space all round them and 14 characters and scrolling tabs
    jumping all over the place.

    IT WASN'T BROKEN, SO PLEASE DON'T FIX IT!

    Thanks for all the hard work and the best browser, despite this hiccup.

  2. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    "Nik" wrote in

    > Hi,
    >
    > My Firefox has just updated to version 2.0.0.4
    >
    > I use Firefox all day for my work. My work is a fairly involved website
    > admin task. I loved the way that tabs on pre v2 Firefox would shrink so
    > I could have 20 or so tabs open in one window, as I often needed this
    > many open so I could refer to many pages quickly. The new method of
    > scrolling has totally broken my work flow now, and I will probably have
    > to go back to 1.5
    >:-(
    >
    > I cannot for the life of me think why the old functionality was thrown
    > out. It worked great!
    >
    > I see lots of other discussions about other solutions like multiple
    > rows, expanding tabs etc, but TBH I think these are all solutions in
    > search of a problem.
    >
    > If people find they can't read the tabs, or do not have the spatial
    > awareness to remember what tab was what, then they should simply not
    > open as many tabs, or open another window.
    >
    > Scrolling the tabs is horrible. I need a compact and fast interface, not
    > big icons with lots of space all round them and 14 characters and
    > scrolling tabs jumping all over the place.
    >
    > IT WASN'T BROKEN, SO PLEASE DON'T FIX IT!
    >
    > Thanks for all the hard work and the best browser, despite this hiccup.

    The Tab Mix Plus extension will give you complete control over tabs,
    including minimum tab width, multiple rows if you want to have a set number
    of tabs on a row which will start with one row when a second tab is opened.
    When you open more than the set number of tabs, the second row will open,
    and then a third and so on. As you close enough tabs, the row will close.
    All in all, it's a very powerful extension which controls many more things,
    including session restore settings, etc.

    See

    John Gray

    If you don't have a reason, at least have an excuse.

  3. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    Nik wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My Firefox has just updated to version 2.0.0.4
    >
    > I use Firefox all day for my work. My work is a fairly involved website
    > admin task. I loved the way that tabs on pre v2 Firefox would shrink so I
    > could have 20 or so tabs open in one window, as I often needed this many
    > open so I could refer to many pages quickly. The new method of scrolling has
    > totally broken my work flow now, and I will probably have to go back to 1.5
    > :-(

    WHY do so many people think that they must go back to an older version
    rather than just solving their configuration problem? What you want to
    do can be done rather easily with 2.0. Check the mozillazine database
    for how to configure your 2.0 to look like earlier versions. For those
    of us who don't open a ton of tabs, the new way of doing things is
    better. If you open a lot of tabs, you might want to configure the
    program to display tabs the old way.

    > I cannot for the life of me think why the old functionality was thrown out.
    > It worked great!

    See answer above, and it wasn't 'thrown out', it was configured another
    way as default. The old functionality is still there.

    > I see lots of other discussions about other solutions like multiple rows,
    > expanding tabs etc, but TBH I think these are all solutions in search of a
    > problem.
    >
    > If people find they can't read the tabs, or do not have the spatial
    > awareness to remember what tab was what, then they should simply not open as
    > many tabs, or open another window.
    >
    > Scrolling the tabs is horrible. I need a compact and fast interface, not big
    > icons with lots of space all round them and 14 characters and scrolling tabs
    > jumping all over the place.

    Then you will love the extension that reduces each tab to a favicon!
    Then you can have LOTS of tabs, in very little space.

    > IT WASN'T BROKEN, SO PLEASE DON'T FIX IT!

    sigh.
    Sometimes what one considers broken another considers a better way. I
    like the new tab action, if you don't, then CHANGE it through the config
    file, or extensions, and we can both be happy.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  4. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    "Nik"
    > Scrolling the tabs is horrible. I need a compact and fast interface, not big
    > icons with lots of space all round them and 14 characters and scrolling tabs
    > jumping all over the place.

    You don't need a huge extension like TMP to kind of get what you want.
    You can get exactly what you want and make your own revisions with
    your own chrome changes and with a lot less impact to your system.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#userchrome
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...userchrome.txt

    My entire userChrome.css shows up as 10KB in the chrome directory.
    The TMP extension would probably be over 1MB installed and more
    subject to failures

    --
    David McRitchie, Firefox Customizations in pictures
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/pictures.htm

  5. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    Thanks for the answers, but most of this is too involved for me, I am short
    of time, and I don't trust Firefox now if such fundamental changes are
    forced on us.

    I don't understand what the problem was leaving it the way it was... this
    smacks of change for the sake of change to me.

    Why can't the developers make an easy way to change it back in (Tools ->
    Options)? Or just have left it alone.

    It's basically a PITA, and a waste of my time :-(

    KISS!

  6. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    On 7/6/2007 7:21 AM On a whim, David McRitchie pounded out on the keyboard

    > "Nik"
    >> Scrolling the tabs is horrible. I need a compact and fast interface, not big
    >> icons with lots of space all round them and 14 characters and scrolling tabs
    >> jumping all over the place.

    > You don't need a huge extension like TMP to kind of get what you want.
    > You can get exactly what you want and make your own revisions with
    > your own chrome changes and with a lot less impact to your system.
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#userchrome
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...userchrome.txt
    >
    > My entire userChrome.css shows up as 10KB in the chrome directory.
    > The TMP extension would probably be over 1MB installed and more
    > subject to failures

    Would probably? I've used TMP since TBE became a thing of the past.
    I've had no issues (or more specifically, failures) with it and love the
    extensible amount of ways to configure tabs.

    I'm sure any extension has that possibility, but I think you're knocking
    one prematurely.

    --
    Terry R.

  7. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    John Gray wrote:
    > "Nik" wrote in
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My Firefox has just updated to version 2.0.0.4
    >>
    >> I use Firefox all day for my work. My work is a fairly involved website
    >> admin task. I loved the way that tabs on pre v2 Firefox would shrink so
    >> I could have 20 or so tabs open in one window, as I often needed this
    >> many open so I could refer to many pages quickly. The new method of
    >> scrolling has totally broken my work flow now, and I will probably have
    >> to go back to 1.5
    >> :-(
    >>
    >> I cannot for the life of me think why the old functionality was thrown
    >> out. It worked great!
    >>
    >> I see lots of other discussions about other solutions like multiple
    >> rows, expanding tabs etc, but TBH I think these are all solutions in
    >> search of a problem.
    >>
    >> If people find they can't read the tabs, or do not have the spatial
    >> awareness to remember what tab was what, then they should simply not
    >> open as many tabs, or open another window.
    >>
    >> Scrolling the tabs is horrible. I need a compact and fast interface, not
    >> big icons with lots of space all round them and 14 characters and
    >> scrolling tabs jumping all over the place.
    >>
    >> IT WASN'T BROKEN, SO PLEASE DON'T FIX IT!
    >>
    >> Thanks for all the hard work and the best browser, despite this hiccup.
    >>

    > The Tab Mix Plus extension will give you complete control over tabs,
    > including minimum tab width, multiple rows if you want to have a set number
    > of tabs on a row which will start with one row when a second tab is opened.
    > When you open more than the set number of tabs, the second row will open,
    > and then a third and so on. As you close enough tabs, the row will close.
    > All in all, it's a very powerful extension which controls many more things,
    > including session restore settings, etc.
    >
    > See

    There is another way to get the tabs to crowd together. Use this
    setting in about:config or a user.js file:
    user_pref("browser.tabs.tabMinWidth", 0);

  8. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    "David McRitchie" wrote in

    > "Nik"
    >> Scrolling the tabs is horrible. I need a compact and fast interface, not

    big
    >> icons with lots of space all round them and 14 characters and scrolling

    tabs
    >> jumping all over the place.

    > You don't need a huge extension like TMP to kind of get what you want.
    > You can get exactly what you want and make your own revisions with
    > your own chrome changes and with a lot less impact to your system.
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#userchrome
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...userchrome.txt
    >
    > My entire userChrome.css shows up as 10KB in the chrome directory.
    > The TMP extension would probably be over 1MB installed and more
    > subject to failures

    On disk, the TMP extension is 1401KB on disk. However, it seems to not
    stay in memory until it is called for config changes. It modifies the
    settings and it's done. At least the in-memory footprint is the same as
    with a profile that doesn't have TMP installed, as reported by the three
    fingered salute in WinXP Pro SP2. It's less dangerous than having a rookie
    messing with Firefox configuration files.

    --
    John Gray

    If you don't have a reason, at least have an excuse.

  9. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "Nik"
    >> Scrolling the tabs is horrible. I need a compact and fast interface, not big
    >> icons with lots of space all round them and 14 characters and scrolling tabs
    >> jumping all over the place.

    > You don't need a huge extension like TMP to kind of get what you want.
    > You can get exactly what you want and make your own revisions with
    > your own chrome changes and with a lot less impact to your system.
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#userchrome
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...userchrome.txt
    >
    > My entire userChrome.css shows up as 10KB in the chrome directory.
    > The TMP extension would probably be over 1MB installed and more
    > subject to failures

    TMP .xpi file is only 329k I doubt it takes up 1MB. But you are
    correct, doing the job with .css files, and configuration settings is
    more efficient.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  10. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    Nik wrote:
    > Thanks for the answers, but most of this is too involved for me, I am short
    > of time, and I don't trust Firefox now if such fundamental changes are
    > forced on us.
    >
    > I don't understand what the problem was leaving it the way it was... this
    > smacks of change for the sake of change to me.
    >
    > Why can't the developers make an easy way to change it back in (Tools ->
    > Options)? Or just have left it alone.
    >
    > It's basically a PITA, and a waste of my time :-(
    >
    > KISS!

    Well, you know, I hate to break it to you, but you are NOT the only user
    in the world. I know that may be hard to take. If you are too lazy to
    make the necessary changes, just go back to the older version, and take
    your chances with any security problems you may experience.
    It is really more trouble to go back to the previous version than to fix
    the minor problems, but if you are that dead set on going back, have a ball.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  11. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 7/6/2007 7:21 AM On a whim, David McRitchie pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> "Nik"
    >>> Scrolling the tabs is horrible. I need a compact and fast interface,
    >>> not big
    >>> icons with lots of space all round them and 14 characters and
    >>> scrolling tabs
    >>> jumping all over the place.

    >> You don't need a huge extension like TMP to kind of get what you want.
    >> You can get exactly what you want and make your own revisions with
    >> your own chrome changes and with a lot less impact to your system.
    >> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#userchrome
    >> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...userchrome.txt
    >>
    >> My entire userChrome.css shows up as 10KB in the chrome directory.
    >> The TMP extension would probably be over 1MB installed and more
    >> subject to failures
    >>

    > Would probably? I've used TMP since TBE became a thing of the past.
    > I've had no issues (or more specifically, failures) with it and love the
    > extensible amount of ways to configure tabs.
    >
    > I'm sure any extension has that possibility, but I think you're knocking
    > one prematurely.

    He wouldn't like it. It is different. Some people just will NOT abide
    change.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  12. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    EE wrote:
    > John Gray wrote:
    >> "Nik" wrote in
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> My Firefox has just updated to version 2.0.0.4
    >>>
    >>> I use Firefox all day for my work. My work is a fairly involved
    >>> website admin task. I loved the way that tabs on pre v2 Firefox would
    >>> shrink so
    >>> I could have 20 or so tabs open in one window, as I often needed this
    >>> many open so I could refer to many pages quickly. The new method of
    >>> scrolling has totally broken my work flow now, and I will probably have
    >>> to go back to 1.5 :-(
    >>>
    >>> I cannot for the life of me think why the old functionality was thrown
    >>> out. It worked great!
    >>>
    >>> I see lots of other discussions about other solutions like multiple
    >>> rows, expanding tabs etc, but TBH I think these are all solutions in
    >>> search of a problem.
    >>>
    >>> If people find they can't read the tabs, or do not have the spatial
    >>> awareness to remember what tab was what, then they should simply not
    >>> open as many tabs, or open another window.
    >>>
    >>> Scrolling the tabs is horrible. I need a compact and fast interface, not
    >>> big icons with lots of space all round them and 14 characters and
    >>> scrolling tabs jumping all over the place.
    >>>
    >>> IT WASN'T BROKEN, SO PLEASE DON'T FIX IT!
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for all the hard work and the best browser, despite this hiccup.
    >>>

    >> The Tab Mix Plus extension will give you complete control over tabs,
    >> including minimum tab width, multiple rows if you want to have a set
    >> number of tabs on a row which will start with one row when a second
    >> tab is opened. When you open more than the set number of tabs, the
    >> second row will open, and then a third and so on. As you close enough
    >> tabs, the row will close. All in all, it's a very powerful extension
    >> which controls many more things, including session restore settings, etc.
    >>
    >> See
    >>
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1122
    >>

    > There is another way to get the tabs to crowd together. Use this
    > setting in about:config or a user.js file:
    > user_pref("browser.tabs.tabMinWidth", 0);

    That will only reduce the FF 2.0 tabs to some degree, not like they were
    in earlier versions. To do that requires a .css change, I believe.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  13. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    On 7/6/2007 6:08 PM On a whim, Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> On 7/6/2007 7:21 AM On a whim, David McRitchie pounded out on the keyboard
    >>
    >>> "Nik"
    >>> You don't need a huge extension like TMP to kind of get what you want.
    >>> You can get exactly what you want and make your own revisions with
    >>> your own chrome changes and with a lot less impact to your system.
    >>> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#userchrome
    >>> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...userchrome.txt
    >>>
    >>> My entire userChrome.css shows up as 10KB in the chrome directory.
    >>> The TMP extension would probably be over 1MB installed and more
    >>> subject to failures
    >>>

    >> Would probably? I've used TMP since TBE became a thing of the past.
    >> I've had no issues (or more specifically, failures) with it and love the
    >> extensible amount of ways to configure tabs.
    >>
    >> I'm sure any extension has that possibility, but I think you're knocking
    >> one prematurely.
    >>

    > He wouldn't like it. It is different. Some people just will NOT abide
    > change.

    I don't care if he doesn't like it, I just don't think that someone
    should knock something just because they don't use it. He said it would
    be "more subject to failures". There isn't proof that is true. And as
    someone else noted, once the settings have been changed in TMP, it
    doesn't load again unless the extension is brought up again for other
    changes. So that is ideal IMO. An easy UI to make the changes, and then
    leave me alone! ;-)

    --
    Terry R.

  14. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 7/6/2007 6:08 PM On a whim, Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 7/6/2007 7:21 AM On a whim, David McRitchie pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    >>> Would probably? I've used TMP since TBE became a thing of the past.
    >>> I've had no issues (or more specifically, failures) with it and love
    >>> the extensible amount of ways to configure tabs.
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure any extension has that possibility, but I think you're
    >>> knocking one prematurely.
    >>>

    >> He wouldn't like it. It is different. Some people just will NOT
    >> abide change.
    >>

    > I don't care if he doesn't like it, I just don't think that someone
    > should knock something just because they don't use it. He said it would
    > be "more subject to failures". There isn't proof that is true. And as
    > someone else noted, once the settings have been changed in TMP, it
    > doesn't load again unless the extension is brought up again for other
    > changes. So that is ideal IMO. An easy UI to make the changes, and then
    > leave me alone! ;-)

    Any time one uses an extension, it does increase the chances of having
    problems, just by virtue of adding to the complexity. The more parts
    something has, the greater the chance of failure. There have been cases
    of users of TMP having problems related to version changes, and
    incompatibility. Most users seem quite happy with it, however.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  15. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    news:SfednRLqPLcmehPbnZ2dnUVZ_sHinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > EE wrote:
    >> John Gray wrote:
    >>> "Nik" wrote in

    >>> The Tab Mix Plus extension will give you complete control over tabs,
    >>> including minimum tab width, multiple rows if you want to have a set
    >>> number of tabs on a row which will start with one row when a second tab
    >>> is opened. When you open more than the set number of tabs, the second
    >>> row will open, and then a third and so on. As you close enough tabs,
    >>> the row will close. All in all, it's a very powerful extension which
    >>> controls many more things, including session restore settings, etc.
    >>>
    >>> See
    >>>
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1122
    >>>

    >> There is another way to get the tabs to crowd together. Use this setting
    >> in about:config or a user.js file:
    >> user_pref("browser.tabs.tabMinWidth", 0);

    > That will only reduce the FF 2.0 tabs to some degree, not like they were
    > in earlier versions. To do that requires a .css change, I believe.

    I tried this method, and am happy with the result. I simply created a
    user.js file with the code, and restarted. Thanks for this!

  16. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    news:SfednRDqPLfKehPbnZ2dnUVZ_sHinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Nik wrote:
    >> Thanks for the answers, but most of this is too involved for me, I am
    >> short of time, and I don't trust Firefox now if such fundamental changes
    >> are forced on us.
    >>
    >> I don't understand what the problem was leaving it the way it was... this
    >> smacks of change for the sake of change to me.
    >>
    >> Why can't the developers make an easy way to change it back in (Tools ->
    >> Options)? Or just have left it alone.
    >>
    >> It's basically a PITA, and a waste of my time :-(
    >>
    >> KISS!

    > Well, you know, I hate to break it to you, but you are NOT the only user
    > in the world. I know that may be hard to take. If you are too lazy to
    > make the necessary changes, just go back to the older version, and take
    > your chances with any security problems you may experience.
    > It is really more trouble to go back to the previous version than to fix
    > the minor problems, but if you are that dead set on going back, have a
    > ball.

    I realise this Ron, but you have to accept that I can only see things from
    my own POV. IMHO it is lazy and inconsiderate to make such a large change
    for the average user, then expect them to write code in files or download
    whatever extension to 'fix' the supposed improvement. I have fixed this
    issue now with a quick added user.js file with a little code, but TBH this
    is not a user friendly way of doing this for average users who find it hard
    enough to install / uninstall programs, and are not knowledgeable about
    making settings with txt files in hidden directories. Not everyone is a
    Linux whizzkid.

    Adding to this is my own opinion that it is NOT an improvement, and has
    simply been thrust on users in general, may of whom will not have the time
    or knowledge to even attempt to find a solution outside of looking in the
    preferences file in the program.

    IMHO this was a bad decision to make default, and should be changed back in
    future updates, and the scrolling nonsense should be turned on (by those
    that like it) in the program preferences. IMHO it was arrogant to change the
    functionality in such a way.

    Cheers!

  17. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    Nik wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" wrote in message
    > news:SfednRDqPLfKehPbnZ2dnUVZ_sHinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Nik wrote:
    >>> Thanks for the answers, but most of this is too involved for me, I am
    >>> short of time, and I don't trust Firefox now if such fundamental changes
    >>> are forced on us.
    >>>
    >>> I don't understand what the problem was leaving it the way it was... this
    >>> smacks of change for the sake of change to me.
    >>>
    >>> Why can't the developers make an easy way to change it back in (Tools ->
    >>> Options)? Or just have left it alone.
    >>>
    >>> It's basically a PITA, and a waste of my time :-(
    >>>
    >>> KISS!

    >> Well, you know, I hate to break it to you, but you are NOT the only user
    >> in the world. I know that may be hard to take. If you are too lazy to
    >> make the necessary changes, just go back to the older version, and take
    >> your chances with any security problems you may experience.
    >> It is really more trouble to go back to the previous version than to fix
    >> the minor problems, but if you are that dead set on going back, have a
    >> ball.
    >>

    > I realise this Ron, but you have to accept that I can only see things from
    > my own POV. IMHO it is lazy and inconsiderate to make such a large change
    > for the average user, then expect them to write code in files or download
    > whatever extension to 'fix' the supposed improvement. I have fixed this
    > issue now with a quick added user.js file with a little code, but TBH this
    > is not a user friendly way of doing this for average users who find it hard
    > enough to install / uninstall programs, and are not knowledgeable about
    > making settings with txt files in hidden directories. Not everyone is a
    > Linux whizzkid.
    >
    > Adding to this is my own opinion that it is NOT an improvement, and has
    > simply been thrust on users in general, may of whom will not have the time
    > or knowledge to even attempt to find a solution outside of looking in the
    > preferences file in the program.
    >
    > IMHO this was a bad decision to make default, and should be changed back in
    > future updates, and the scrolling nonsense should be turned on (by those
    > that like it) in the program preferences. IMHO it was arrogant to change the
    > functionality in such a way.
    >
    > Cheers!

    Sometimes when a programmer makes a change like that it is
    because they have received a number requests for such a
    change. How many e-mails were received for the change only
    they know.

    Rather than being adversarial, one could simply ask them why
    they changed it. Personally I hate the fact that tab size
    can change by default. I just switched to Ubuntu Linux an
    FireFox 2.0.0.4 and just found out yesterday that the number
    of tabs per row can be related to the minimum width of tabs.
    To me that is silly but if that is what people like and
    request then the programmer has a legitimate right to make
    such a change.

    We all use generic programs like web browsers in different
    ways which means there can not be a universal interface that
    everyone is going to like. If the program is stable, and you
    like the program then it becomes incumbent on the user to
    learn how to customize the interface.

    Ciao . . . C.Joseph

    "A promise is nothing more than an attempt,
    to respond to an unreasonable request."

    http://blog.tlerma.com/
    (A Windows professional's view of entering the Linux world)

  18. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Nik wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> My Firefox has just updated to version 2.0.0.4
    >>
    >> I use Firefox all day for my work. My work is a fairly involved
    >> website admin task. I loved the way that tabs on pre v2 Firefox would
    >> shrink so I could have 20 or so tabs open in one window, as I often
    >> needed this many open so I could refer to many pages quickly. The new
    >> method of scrolling has totally broken my work flow now, and I will
    >> probably have to go back to 1.5 :-(
    >>

    > WHY do so many people think that they must go back to an older version
    > rather than just solving their configuration problem? What you want to
    > do can be done rather easily with 2.0. Check the mozillazine database
    > for how to configure your 2.0 to look like earlier versions. For those
    > of us who don't open a ton of tabs, the new way of doing things is
    > better. If you open a lot of tabs, you might want to configure the
    > program to display tabs the old way.
    >
    >> I cannot for the life of me think why the old functionality was thrown
    >> out. It worked great!
    >>

    > See answer above, and it wasn't 'thrown out', it was configured another
    > way as default. The old functionality is still there.
    >
    >> I see lots of other discussions about other solutions like multiple
    >> rows, expanding tabs etc, but TBH I think these are all solutions in
    >> search of a problem.
    >>
    >> If people find they can't read the tabs, or do not have the spatial
    >> awareness to remember what tab was what, then they should simply not
    >> open as many tabs, or open another window.
    >>
    >> Scrolling the tabs is horrible. I need a compact and fast interface,
    >> not big icons with lots of space all round them and 14 characters and
    >> scrolling tabs jumping all over the place.
    >>

    > Then you will love the extension that reduces each tab to a favicon!
    > Then you can have LOTS of tabs, in very little space.
    >

    >> IT WASN'T BROKEN, SO PLEASE DON'T FIX IT!
    >>

    > sigh.
    > Sometimes what one considers broken another considers a better way. I
    > like the new tab action, if you don't, then CHANGE it through the config
    > file, or extensions, and we can both be happy.

    usually the one thinking the new way is a better design, is the
    developer. they have no use for user input. Applications are made for
    users to use. Not for some developer to strut his/her stuff.

    >> Thanks for all the hard work and the best browser, despite this hiccup.

  19. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Nik wrote:
    >> Thanks for the answers, but most of this is too involved for me, I am
    >> short of time, and I don't trust Firefox now if such fundamental
    >> changes are forced on us.
    >>
    >> I don't understand what the problem was leaving it the way it was...
    >> this smacks of change for the sake of change to me.
    >>
    >> Why can't the developers make an easy way to change it back in (Tools
    >> -> Options)? Or just have left it alone.
    >>
    >> It's basically a PITA, and a waste of my time :-(
    >>
    >> KISS!
    >>

    > Well, you know, I hate to break it to you, but you are NOT the only user
    > in the world. I know that may be hard to take. If you are too lazy to
    > make the necessary changes, just go back to the older version, and take
    > your chances with any security problems you may experience.
    > It is really more trouble to go back to the previous version than to fix
    > the minor problems, but if you are that dead set on going back, have a
    > ball.

    My solution to the problem is I don't use tabs, noway, no how.

  20. Re: Tabs not shrinking any more?!?!

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    -------------------------snip-------------------------

    > Well, you know, I hate to break it to you, but you are NOT the only user
    > in the world. I know that may be hard to take. If you are too lazy to
    > make the necessary changes, just go back to the older version, and take
    > your chances with any security problems you may experience.
    > It is really more trouble to go back to the previous version than to fix
    > the minor problems, but if you are that dead set on going back, have a
    > ball.

    That's true. There many like me that don't even like tabs.
    So Not ever web Browser user in the world thinks tabs are the greatest
    thing since sliced bread. And there many like NIK that prefer the old
    Tab method.

    Folks have to remember The only ones that really have to be pleased in
    Mozilla products and the way they work are the developers and designers
    that are developing and designing it. :-(

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast