Recommend replacement for Quicknote extension? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Recommend replacement for Quicknote extension? - Mozilla ; After upgrading to the new version of Firefox at home, I'm avoiding doing so at work because it doesn't support an extension that's become indispensable to me, Quicknote. Is there another extension that will do the same thing, simply? I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Recommend replacement for Quicknote extension?

  1. Recommend replacement for Quicknote extension?

    After upgrading to the new version of Firefox at home, I'm avoiding
    doing so at work because it doesn't support an extension that's become
    indispensable to me, Quicknote. Is there another extension that will
    do the same thing, simply? I don't want persistent sticky notes, or
    web page collections, or anything fancy. I want a button on my
    toolbar that pulls up a simple text editor that will let me type in
    notes, or copy-and-paste, and that autosaves. Can anyone recommend
    anything?


  2. Re: Recommend replacement for Quicknote extension?

    On 05.07.2007 17:54 UK Time, duffytweedy@gmail.com wrote:
    > After upgrading to the new version of Firefox at home, I'm avoiding
    > doing so at work because it doesn't support an extension that's become
    > indispensable to me, Quicknote.


    What makes you say that?

    I haven't used Quicknote much recently because I find 4 tabs too
    limiting and I never understood why it seems to be such a big problem to
    increase the number of tabs, but FWIW it works perfectly here with FF
    2.0.0.4

    --
    Herbert Eppel
    www.HETranslation.co.uk

  3. Re: Recommend replacement for Quicknote extension?

    Herb wrote:
    > On 05.07.2007 17:54 UK Time, duffytweedy@gmail.com wrote:
    >> After upgrading to the new version of Firefox at home, I'm avoiding
    >> doing so at work because it doesn't support an extension that's become
    >> indispensable to me, Quicknote.

    >
    > What makes you say that?
    >
    > I haven't used Quicknote much recently because I find 4 tabs too
    > limiting and I never understood why it seems to be such a big problem to
    > increase the number of tabs, but FWIW it works perfectly here with FF
    > 2.0.0.4
    >

    Yeah I am using QuickNote now with version 2.0.0.4 and have used it ever
    since 1.5. I used to use Fox Notes (I think it was called - can't find
    it on AMO anymore) prior to that that had up to 7 tabs, but it did
    something annoying (I forget) and the author never responded so I
    switched to QuickNote.

    Anyhow, QuickNote works from 1.5 to 2.0.0.4 with no problem.

  4. Re: Recommend replacement for Quicknote extension?

    On 7/6/2007 12:47 AM India Time, _MAK_ wrote:

    > Herb wrote:
    >> On 05.07.2007 17:54 UK Time, duffytweedy@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> After upgrading to the new version of Firefox at home, I'm avoiding
    >>> doing so at work because it doesn't support an extension that's become
    >>> indispensable to me, Quicknote.

    >> What makes you say that?
    >>
    >> I haven't used Quicknote much recently because I find 4 tabs too
    >> limiting and I never understood why it seems to be such a big problem to
    >> increase the number of tabs, but FWIW it works perfectly here with FF
    >> 2.0.0.4
    >>

    > Yeah I am using QuickNote now with version 2.0.0.4 and have used it ever
    > since 1.5. I used to use Fox Notes (I think it was called - can't find
    > it on AMO anymore) prior to that that had up to 7 tabs, but it did
    > something annoying (I forget) and the author never responded so I
    > switched to QuickNote.
    >
    > Anyhow, QuickNote works from 1.5 to 2.0.0.4 with no problem.



    I had used Quicknote and had uninstalled that within a week. it was
    inconvenient.

    You can try http://softvoile.com/flashnote/

    Flashnote is a tiny free utility that works not just in FF but all over
    windows. It starts with windows and sits silently in your systray. You
    press Alt-S and it will pop up and give you a window in which you can
    paste anything you have copied from ff/ tb/ word/ any other program. And
    that remains stored there permanently, till you manually delete it. You
    can create many pages in it and switch to anyone to paste your text in
    order to sort of categorize it.

    I think it doesn't store formats, but only in plain text, but I am not
    complaining.

    though it works all around windows, I find I am using it 95% of time in
    FF/ TB only as there I need to store things which are transient in nature.

    They have a forum also in which the developer will answer any query/
    comment by you withing hours.

    Thanks.
    --
    Vicks

  5. Re: Recommend replacement for Quicknote extension?

    Vicks Rocz wrote:
    > On 7/6/2007 12:47 AM India Time, _MAK_ wrote:
    >
    >> Herb wrote:
    >>> On 05.07.2007 17:54 UK Time, duffytweedy@gmail.com wrote:
    >>>> After upgrading to the new version of Firefox at home, I'm avoiding
    >>>> doing so at work because it doesn't support an extension that's become
    >>>> indispensable to me, Quicknote.
    >>> What makes you say that?
    >>>
    >>> I haven't used Quicknote much recently because I find 4 tabs too
    >>> limiting and I never understood why it seems to be such a big problem
    >>> to increase the number of tabs, but FWIW it works perfectly here with
    >>> FF 2.0.0.4
    >>>

    >> Yeah I am using QuickNote now with version 2.0.0.4 and have used it
    >> ever since 1.5. I used to use Fox Notes (I think it was called -
    >> can't find it on AMO anymore) prior to that that had up to 7 tabs, but
    >> it did something annoying (I forget) and the author never responded so
    >> I switched to QuickNote.
    >>
    >> Anyhow, QuickNote works from 1.5 to 2.0.0.4 with no problem.

    >
    >
    > I had used Quicknote and had uninstalled that within a week. it was
    > inconvenient.
    >
    > You can try http://softvoile.com/flashnote/
    >
    > Flashnote is a tiny free utility that works not just in FF but all over
    > windows. It starts with windows and sits silently in your systray. You
    > press Alt-S and it will pop up and give you a window in which you can
    > paste anything you have copied from ff/ tb/ word/ any other program. And
    > that remains stored there permanently, till you manually delete it. You
    > can create many pages in it and switch to anyone to paste your text in
    > order to sort of categorize it.
    >
    > I think it doesn't store formats, but only in plain text, but I am not
    > complaining.
    >
    > though it works all around windows, I find I am using it 95% of time in
    > FF/ TB only as there I need to store things which are transient in nature.
    >
    > They have a forum also in which the developer will answer any query/
    > comment by you withing hours.
    >
    > Thanks.


    I didn't mention anything that could be installed into Windows as an
    application but if the OP wanted I could also suggest EverNote and
    WordPerfect's Lightning. Both install as Window's apps but they also
    add themselves to Firefox as an extension afterwards to combine the two.

    Both of those apps are FREE for use and download, both store any format:
    images, text, html etc etc and both can be used for anything/anywhere in
    Windows and can store as much as you want.

    I have both installed, though I admit more often than not all I need
    most of the time is just a little text notepad for quickie notes.

    Start here for EverNote:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1926 or

    Product information: http://www.evernote.com
    Free Downloads: http://www.evernote.com/en/downloads/

    Go here for Corel WordPerfect's Lightning:
    http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1171405162003

    Again, both are free to use, free to download. No conditions.

    Mark

  6. Re: Recommend replacement for Quicknote extension?

    On 7/6/2007 09:14 AM India Time, _MAK_ wrote:

    > Vicks Rocz wrote:
    >> On 7/6/2007 12:47 AM India Time, _MAK_ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Herb wrote:
    >>>> On 05.07.2007 17:54 UK Time, duffytweedy@gmail.com wrote:
    >>>>> After upgrading to the new version of Firefox at home, I'm avoiding
    >>>>> doing so at work because it doesn't support an extension that's become
    >>>>> indispensable to me, Quicknote.
    >>>> What makes you say that?
    >>>>
    >>>> I haven't used Quicknote much recently because I find 4 tabs too
    >>>> limiting and I never understood why it seems to be such a big problem
    >>>> to increase the number of tabs, but FWIW it works perfectly here with
    >>>> FF 2.0.0.4
    >>>>
    >>> Yeah I am using QuickNote now with version 2.0.0.4 and have used it
    >>> ever since 1.5. I used to use Fox Notes (I think it was called -
    >>> can't find it on AMO anymore) prior to that that had up to 7 tabs, but
    >>> it did something annoying (I forget) and the author never responded so
    >>> I switched to QuickNote.
    >>>
    >>> Anyhow, QuickNote works from 1.5 to 2.0.0.4 with no problem.

    >>
    >> I had used Quicknote and had uninstalled that within a week. it was
    >> inconvenient.
    >>
    >> You can try http://softvoile.com/flashnote/
    >>
    >> Flashnote is a tiny free utility that works not just in FF but all over
    >> windows. It starts with windows and sits silently in your systray. You
    >> press Alt-S and it will pop up and give you a window in which you can
    >> paste anything you have copied from ff/ tb/ word/ any other program. And
    >> that remains stored there permanently, till you manually delete it. You
    >> can create many pages in it and switch to anyone to paste your text in
    >> order to sort of categorize it.
    >>
    >> I think it doesn't store formats, but only in plain text, but I am not
    >> complaining.
    >>
    >> though it works all around windows, I find I am using it 95% of time in
    >> FF/ TB only as there I need to store things which are transient in nature.
    >>
    >> They have a forum also in which the developer will answer any query/
    >> comment by you withing hours.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >
    > I didn't mention anything that could be installed into Windows as an
    > application but if the OP wanted I could also suggest EverNote and
    > WordPerfect's Lightning. Both install as Window's apps but they also
    > add themselves to Firefox as an extension afterwards to combine the two.
    >
    > Both of those apps are FREE for use and download, both store any format:
    > images, text, html etc etc and both can be used for anything/anywhere in
    > Windows and can store as much as you want.
    >
    > I have both installed, though I admit more often than not all I need
    > most of the time is just a little text notepad for quickie notes.
    >
    > Start here for EverNote:
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1926 or
    >
    > Product information: http://www.evernote.com
    > Free Downloads: http://www.evernote.com/en/downloads/
    >
    > Go here for Corel WordPerfect's Lightning:
    > http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1171405162003
    >
    > Again, both are free to use, free to download. No conditions.
    >
    > Mark


    Thanks Mark, for the pointer to these two utilities. I am downloading
    the two and shall try them out.

    Some comparision.

    Evernote: 14.9 MB download
    Lighting: 22.3 MB download
    flashnote: 396 KB download

    well. :-)
    --
    Vicks

  7. Re: Recommend replacement for Quicknote extension?

    Vicks Rocz wrote:
    > On 7/6/2007 09:14 AM India Time, _MAK_ wrote:
    >
    >> Vicks Rocz wrote:
    >>> On 7/6/2007 12:47 AM India Time, _MAK_ wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Herb wrote:
    >>>>> On 05.07.2007 17:54 UK Time, duffytweedy@gmail.com wrote:
    >>>>>> After upgrading to the new version of Firefox at home, I'm avoiding
    >>>>>> doing so at work because it doesn't support an extension that's
    >>>>>> become
    >>>>>> indispensable to me, Quicknote.
    >>>>> What makes you say that?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I haven't used Quicknote much recently because I find 4 tabs too
    >>>>> limiting and I never understood why it seems to be such a big
    >>>>> problem to increase the number of tabs, but FWIW it works perfectly
    >>>>> here with FF 2.0.0.4
    >>>>>
    >>>> Yeah I am using QuickNote now with version 2.0.0.4 and have used it
    >>>> ever since 1.5. I used to use Fox Notes (I think it was called -
    >>>> can't find it on AMO anymore) prior to that that had up to 7 tabs,
    >>>> but it did something annoying (I forget) and the author never
    >>>> responded so I switched to QuickNote.
    >>>>
    >>>> Anyhow, QuickNote works from 1.5 to 2.0.0.4 with no problem.
    >>>
    >>> I had used Quicknote and had uninstalled that within a week. it was
    >>> inconvenient.
    >>>
    >>> You can try http://softvoile.com/flashnote/
    >>>
    >>> Flashnote is a tiny free utility that works not just in FF but all
    >>> over windows. It starts with windows and sits silently in your
    >>> systray. You press Alt-S and it will pop up and give you a window in
    >>> which you can paste anything you have copied from ff/ tb/ word/ any
    >>> other program. And that remains stored there permanently, till you
    >>> manually delete it. You can create many pages in it and switch to
    >>> anyone to paste your text in order to sort of categorize it.
    >>>
    >>> I think it doesn't store formats, but only in plain text, but I am
    >>> not complaining.
    >>>
    >>> though it works all around windows, I find I am using it 95% of time
    >>> in FF/ TB only as there I need to store things which are transient in
    >>> nature.
    >>>
    >>> They have a forum also in which the developer will answer any query/
    >>> comment by you withing hours.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >>
    >> I didn't mention anything that could be installed into Windows as an
    >> application but if the OP wanted I could also suggest EverNote and
    >> WordPerfect's Lightning. Both install as Window's apps but they also
    >> add themselves to Firefox as an extension afterwards to combine the two.
    >>
    >> Both of those apps are FREE for use and download, both store any
    >> format: images, text, html etc etc and both can be used for
    >> anything/anywhere in Windows and can store as much as you want.
    >>
    >> I have both installed, though I admit more often than not all I need
    >> most of the time is just a little text notepad for quickie notes.
    >>
    >> Start here for EverNote:
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1926 or
    >>
    >> Product information: http://www.evernote.com
    >> Free Downloads: http://www.evernote.com/en/downloads/
    >>
    >> Go here for Corel WordPerfect's Lightning:
    >> http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli.../1171405162003
    >>
    >> Again, both are free to use, free to download. No conditions.
    >>
    >> Mark

    >
    > Thanks Mark, for the pointer to these two utilities. I am downloading
    > the two and shall try them out.
    >
    > Some comparision.
    >
    > Evernote: 14.9 MB download
    > Lighting: 22.3 MB download
    > flashnote: 396 KB download
    >
    > well. :-)


    I don't know about Flashnote, but these are not just a simple lil
    utilities like Launchy (dock bar but super cool), or 4t Tray Minimizer
    (minimize and hide ANY application even stubborn MS apps in/ and to
    system tray), they are full blown applications.

    *shrug*

    Mark


  8. Re: Recommend replacement for Quicknote extension?

    On Jul 5, 10:35 am, Herb wrote:
    > On 05.07.2007 17:54 UK Time, duffytwe...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > After upgrading to the new version of Firefox at home, I'm avoiding
    > > doing so at work because it doesn't support an extension that's become
    > > indispensable to me,Quicknote.

    >
    > What makes you say that?
    >
    > I haven't usedQuicknotemuch recently because I find 4 tabs too
    > limiting and I never understood why it seems to be such a big problem to
    > increase the number of tabs, but FWIW it works perfectly here with FF
    > 2.0.0.4
    >
    > --
    > Herbert Eppelwww.HETranslation.co.uk


    What the--! Never mind. When I installed the new version of Firefox,
    it said Quicknote was not supported, and I took its word for it. I
    just installed it again and it works fine. Thanks for pointing out my
    error. And thanks for the ideas about Evernote and Lightning below.
    --Duffy


+ Reply to Thread