Extension name, not just the number in replies - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Extension name, not just the number in replies - Mozilla ; An answer to someone's question with an explanation of the actual problem/solution is generally well explained but often the extension is just mentioned by number. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/426 A big improvement would be to also include the name of the extension, and ...

  1. Extension name, not just the number in replies

    An answer to someone's question with an explanation
    of the actual problem/solution is generally well explained
    but often the extension is just mentioned by number.

    A big improvement would be to also include the name of
    the extension, and if the name is not obvious what it
    does a one line description as well, such as

    Slashy (extension)
    Fixes Windows backslash file separators in links ...

    This will help in the following manner.
    1) Easier to remember than a number if someone else
    later has the problem they can find it.
    2) Quick review by other users that that is indeed the
    extension or solution to use.
    3) Those already familar with the extension won't have
    to go there only to find they already know about it,
    or even already have it.
    4) Provide better information for Google Groups search
    engine to search archived posts, for anyone to find,
    and may even appear in the brief description shown
    in the search results..
    as Google Groups

    FWIW, I use CopyURL Plus to help with that, there are
    other extensions as well that would do this, including the
    author's name can be added manually..

    Copy URL + :: Firefox Add-ons, by Philip Mateescu
    my notes on this extension, including compatibility issue
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/copyurlplus.htm

    CoLT :: Firefox Add-ons, by Jonah Bishop

    David McRitchie,
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/pictures.htm

  2. Re: Extension name, not just the number in replies

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > An answer to someone's question with an explanation
    > of the actual problem/solution is generally well explained
    > but often the extension is just mentioned by number.
    >
    > A big improvement would be to also include the name of
    > the extension, and if the name is not obvious what it
    > does a one line description as well, such as
    >
    > Slashy (extension)
    > Fixes Windows backslash file separators in links ...
    >
    > This will help in the following manner.
    > 1) Easier to remember than a number if someone else
    > later has the problem they can find it.
    > 2) Quick review by other users that that is indeed the
    > extension or solution to use.
    > 3) Those already familar with the extension won't have
    > to go there only to find they already know about it,
    > or even already have it.
    > 4) Provide better information for Google Groups search
    > engine to search archived posts, for anyone to find,
    > and may even appear in the brief description shown
    > in the search results..
    > as Google Groups
    >
    > FWIW, I use CopyURL Plus to help with that, there are
    > other extensions as well that would do this, including the
    > author's name can be added manually..
    >
    > Copy URL + :: Firefox Add-ons, by Philip Mateescu
    > my notes on this extension, including compatibility issue
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/copyurlplus.htm
    >
    > CoLT :: Firefox Add-ons, by Jonah Bishop

    try filing a bug report on that.

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. And only
    click on the Reply button, not the Reply All one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

+ Reply to Thread