Clear Search History is disabled in Firefox 2.0 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Clear Search History is disabled in Firefox 2.0 - Mozilla ; why is the "Clear Search History" in the context menu is disabled? I tried to delete all entries in the search form (upper right) by "Tool-->Options-->Privacy" and click "Clear now" and uncheck all the checkboxes under "history", but that did ...

  1. Clear Search History is disabled in Firefox 2.0

    why is the "Clear Search History" in the context menu is disabled?
    I tried to delete all entries in the search form (upper right) by
    "Tool-->Options-->Privacy" and click "Clear now" and uncheck all the
    checkboxes under "history", but that did not clear the entries in the
    search form.
    Even when the "Clear Private data" popup window these items are greyed
    out.
    any body has an idea how I can do it ??

  2. Re: Clear Search History is disabled in Firefox 2.0

    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

    "tony" wrote in message news:1181840960.155319.220040@q19g2000prn.googlegr oups.com...
    > why is the "Clear Search History" in the context menu is disabled?
    > I tried to delete all entries in the search form (upper right) by
    > "Tool-->Options-->Privacy" and click "Clear now" and uncheck all the
    > checkboxes under "history", but that did not clear the entries in the
    > search form.
    > Even when the "Clear Private data" popup window these items are greyed
    > out.
    > any body has an idea how I can do it ??

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Search_Bar

    browser. formfill. enable Boolean True (default):
    Save information entered in web page forms and the Search Bar
    False: Opposite of the above
    Note: In Firefox, this can be changed via "Tools ? Options ? Privacy ? Saved Form Information ? Save information I enter in web page
    forms and the Search Bar"

    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

  3. Re: Clear Search History is disabled in Firefox 2.0

    Thanks for the reply.
    the current value is : "browser.formfill.enable user
    set boolean false".
    What I need is to enable the feature ("Remember what I enter in forms
    and search bar") but I need to be able to delete some entries from the
    "autocomplete popup menu" that shows when I start typing. I tried
    higlighting an entry and press "Shift+Del" or "del" or "ctrl + del"
    or "ctrl + shift + del" (as instructed in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Search_Bar")
    , but it seems it's not working.
    And the "Clear search history" is disabled. How can I enable this
    "Clear search history" feature or how can I delete an entry or all of
    them ??

  4. Re: Clear Search History is disabled in Firefox 2.0

    "tony"
    > the current value is : "browser.formfill.enable user
    > set boolean false".
    > What I need is to enable the feature ("Remember what I enter in forms
    > and search bar") but I need to be able to delete some entries from the
    > "autocomplete popup menu" that shows when I start typing. I tried
    > higlighting an entry and press "Shift+Del" or "del" or "ctrl + del"
    > or "ctrl + shift + del" (as instructed in http://kb.mozillazine.org/Search_Bar")
    > , but it seems it's not working.
    > And the "Clear search history" is disabled. How can I enable this
    > "Clear search history" feature or how can I delete an entry or all of
    > them ??

    Hi Tony,
    If the value is set to false or you have the same thing with
    user interface at Tools, Options, Privacy, with
    unchecked "Remember what I enter in to forms and search bar",
    then I don't see how you can see any suggestions.

    The selection is made by mousing to an entry, clicking on it will select
    it, but instead you want to hit the Del key while the entry within the list is still
    highlighted. There is certainly better terminology to describe distinctions.
    It is no longer necessary to use Shift+Del, simply using Del will work.

    Trying to delete individual entries on the search bar is probably
    going to end up in futility unless you just want to delete an odd one
    here and there like a misspelling. Kind of like removing words from
    a dictionary, except these may come back.

    Each engine has it's own search history and even at that, I kind
    of wonder about Google because, I can't imagine that I ever typed
    in many of the suggestions it comes up with, let alone in the same
    order -- and this is Firefox not Google. Suggestions are triggered
    by typing in at least one character into the search bar.

    I was looking to see if there was something to edit the entries,
    but get too many hits to go through for now. Probably don't want
    to that (shouldn't want to do that) anyway.
    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

  5. Re: Clear Search History is disabled in Firefox 2.0

    On Jun 15, 10:13 am, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    > "tony"
    >
    > > the current value is : "browser.formfill.enable user
    > > set boolean false".
    > > What I need is to enable the feature ("Remember what I enter in forms
    > > and search bar") but I need to be able to delete some entries from the
    > > "autocomplete popup menu" that shows when I start typing. I tried
    > > higlighting an entry and press "Shift+Del" or "del" or "ctrl + del"
    > > or "ctrl + shift + del" (as instructed inhttp://kb.mozillazine.org/Search_Bar")
    > > , but it seems it's not working.
    > > And the "Clear search history" is disabled. How can I enable this
    > > "Clear search history" feature or how can I delete an entry or all of
    > > them ??

    > Hi Tony,
    > If the value is set to false or you have the same thing with
    > user interface at Tools, Options, Privacy, with
    > unchecked "Remember what I enter in to forms and search bar",
    > then I don't see how you can see any suggestions.
    >
    > The selection is made by mousing to an entry, clicking on it will select
    > it, but instead you want to hit the Del key while the entry within the list is still
    > highlighted. There is certainly better terminology to describe distinctions.
    > It is no longer necessary to use Shift+Del, simply using Del will work.
    >
    > Trying to delete individual entries on the search bar is probably
    > going to end up in futility unless you just want to delete an odd one
    > here and there like a misspelling. Kind of like removing words from
    > a dictionary, except these may come back.
    >
    > Each engine has it's own search history and even at that, I kind
    > of wonder about Google because, I can't imagine that I ever typed
    > in many of the suggestions it comes up with, let alone in the same
    > order -- and this is Firefox not Google. Suggestions are triggered
    > by typing in at least one character into the search bar.
    >
    > I was looking to see if there was something to edit the entries,
    > but get too many hits to go through for now. Probably don't want
    > to that (shouldn't want to do that) anyway.
    > --
    > David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    > Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    My context clear search history option is greyed out too, this is a
    bug in firefox 2 that needs fixed. There is no reason for this option
    to ever be unavailable.

  6. Re: Clear Search History is disabled in Firefox 2.0

    On 16.06.2007 09:18, dale@feiste.com wrote:

    > My context clear search history option is greyed out too, this is a
    > bug in firefox 2 that needs fixed. There is no reason for this option
    > to ever be unavailable.

    FF 2.0.0.4 here and it works as intended. Only after the search history
    has been cleared does the context gray.

    Just curious ...

    Do about:config and enter "browser.formfill.enable" in the filter window
    (no quotes) and if the value is "false" switch to "true" by
    dbl-clicking the line. Don't really think that relates to the search
    history but try it anyways.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  7. Re: Clear Search History is disabled in Firefox 2.0

    dale@feiste.com wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 10:13 am, "David McRitchie" wrote:
    >> "tony"
    >>
    >>> the current value is : "browser.formfill.enable user
    >>> set boolean false".
    >>> What I need is to enable the feature ("Remember what I enter in forms
    >>> and search bar") but I need to be able to delete some entries from the
    >>> "autocomplete popup menu" that shows when I start typing. I tried
    >>> higlighting an entry and press "Shift+Del" or "del" or "ctrl + del"
    >>> or "ctrl + shift + del" (as instructed inhttp://kb.mozillazine.org/Search_Bar")
    >>> , but it seems it's not working.
    >>> And the "Clear search history" is disabled. How can I enable this
    >>> "Clear search history" feature or how can I delete an entry or all of
    >>> them ??

    >> Hi Tony,
    >> If the value is set to false or you have the same thing with
    >> user interface at Tools, Options, Privacy, with
    >> unchecked "Remember what I enter in to forms and search bar",
    >> then I don't see how you can see any suggestions.
    >>
    >> The selection is made by mousing to an entry, clicking on it will select
    >> it, but instead you want to hit the Del key while the entry within the list is still
    >> highlighted. There is certainly better terminology to describe distinctions.
    >> It is no longer necessary to use Shift+Del, simply using Del will work.
    >>
    >> Trying to delete individual entries on the search bar is probably
    >> going to end up in futility unless you just want to delete an odd one
    >> here and there like a misspelling. Kind of like removing words from
    >> a dictionary, except these may come back.
    >>
    >> Each engine has it's own search history and even at that, I kind
    >> of wonder about Google because, I can't imagine that I ever typed
    >> in many of the suggestions it comes up with, let alone in the same
    >> order -- and this is Firefox not Google. Suggestions are triggered
    >> by typing in at least one character into the search bar.
    >>
    >> I was looking to see if there was something to edit the entries,
    >> but get too many hits to go through for now. Probably don't want
    >> to that (shouldn't want to do that) anyway.

    > My context clear search history option is greyed out too, this is a
    > bug in firefox 2 that needs fixed. There is no reason for this option
    > to ever be unavailable.

    I think there may be some confusion here, between 'Search History' &
    'Suggestions'.

    There are two features that will affect the behavior of the search bar.
    One is to remember what *you* have typed in the search bar, what FF
    calls your 'Search History'.

    This feature is controlled by the setting for 'Remember what I enter in
    forms and search bar' in Tools -> Options -> Privacy or, optionally, by
    toggling the preference 'browser.formfill.enable'. If that is disabled,
    then there will be no 'Search History' to clear, hence, that item in the
    context menu will be greyed out.

    The other feature is to have the *search engine suggest* search terms,
    based on what you are typing in the search bar. As you type each
    character, FF sends the content of the search bar to the search engine
    and the search engine is responding with a list of suggested search
    terms. This is *not* your 'Search History', as far as FF is concerned,
    although what the search engine is doing, as far as cookies, remembering
    your prior searches, etc., I don't know.

    This is a new feature in FF2.
    http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/f...rchsuggestions

    This feature is controlled either by the search bar context menu item
    'Show Suggestions' or, optionally, by the preference
    'browser.search.suggest.enabled'.

    If browser.formfill.enable is 'false' or you have 'Remember what I enter
    in forms and search bar' UNchecked in Tools -> Options -> Privacy (which
    just toggles browser.formfill.enable), and you still see a dropdown list
    of search terms, you probably have 'Show Suggestions' enabled. This is
    the default setting in FF2.

    You cannot delete the suggested terms, as they are coming from the
    *search engine*. To disable this feature, right click in the search bar
    and in the context menu, UNcheck 'Show Suggestions'. Or, if you really
    want to do it the longer way, in about:config, you can toggle the value
    of 'browser.search.suggest.enabled' to 'false'.

    Your 'Search History' will still work, if you disable 'Show Suggestions'
    and have enabled 'Remember what I enter in forms and search bar'. In
    that case, the dropdown will only show the terms that you have typed
    into the search bar.

    If you enable both 'Remember what I enter in forms and search bar' and
    'Show Suggestions', then terms you previously typed in, from your
    *search history* will be at the top of the dropdown list and separated
    from *suggestions* from the search engine by a separator bar.

    You should be able, at this point to highlight one of *your* terms,
    above the separator, and hit the 'Delete' key to make it disappear. You
    cannot do that with any of the *suggested* terms, below the separator.
    I don't know of any way to *edit* those terms. As far as I can tell,
    you can only enable or disable that feature.

    After you do a search with 'Remember what I enter in forms and search
    bar' enabled, you should see that 'Clear Search History' is no longer
    greyed out. Selecting it should indeed clear the list of terms *you*
    have previously entered, but, again, it does not affect the listing of
    suggestions provided by the search engine itself, if you have 'Show
    Suggestions' enabled.

    At least that is the behavior I'm seeing here, with WinXP Home SP2, FF
    2.0.0.4.

    If you do not see this behavior, then I would suggest trying it in FF
    safe mode, to see if an extension is somehow affecting this.

    Start -> Run: firefox -safe-mode

    or

    Start -> All Progams -> Mozilla Firefox -> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)

    Hope I explained it well enough and that this clears up any confusion
    there may be. Let us know how you make out.

    --
    Alex K.

+ Reply to Thread