Quicktime Error #0 - please help! - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Quicktime Error #0 - please help! - Mozilla ; Hi, I'm having problems with Quicktime when visiting some web sites (i.e. http://www.angelfire.com/sd/Asteroide/index.html ). When I visit the above site, for example, I get the following message box: Title bar: QuickTime Unavailable. Messge: QuickTime failed to initialize. Error # 0. ...

  1. Quicktime Error #0 - please help!

    Hi,

    I'm having problems with Quicktime when visiting some web sites (i.e.

    http://www.angelfire.com/sd/Asteroide/index.html).

    When I visit the above site, for example, I get the following message
    box:

    Title bar: QuickTime Unavailable.
    Messge:
    QuickTime failed to initialize. Error # 0.
    Please make sure Quicktime is properly installed on this computer.

    After I hit OK on the above message box, I get another one:

    Title bar: Illegal Operation in Plug-in
    Message:
    The plug-in performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised
    to restart Firefox.
    Don't show this message again during this session.

    Firefox version: 2.0.0.3
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; WinNT4.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309
    Firefox/2.0.0.3

    Quicktime version: 7.1.6 (downloaded and installed today - for the
    umpteenth time).

    Things I've tried:

    1. Remove and install quicktime.
    2. Remove Firefox, Remove Quicktime, Install Quicktime, Install
    Firefox (in that exact order).

    I'm considering installing IE7, but I really REALLY like firefox. If
    someone has any ideas, please let me know.

    Thanks!

    Alex

    PS: To email me directly, remove the animal from my email address
    above.
    I have already tried completely uninstalling quicktime and then
    reinstalling it again (from a file downloaded from apple).

  2. Re: Quicktime Error #0 - please help!

    blackbluecat@bigfoot.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having problems with Quicktime when visiting some web sites (i.e.
    >

    > http://www.angelfire.com/sd/Asteroide/index.html).

    Do you have adblock plus extension installed? if so then disable it or
    simply start firefox in safe mode and check that webpage again .
    "To start firefox in safe mode : close firefox. goto start > programs >
    firefox [ safe mode ]"

  3. Re: Quicktime Error #0 - please help!

    Hi Nir,

    The ONLY add-on that's currently installed (was installed by firefox's
    own install program) is Talkback ver 2.0.0.2.

    I started Firefox in safe mode (without checking any of the boxes in
    the dialog that came up before actually starting the browser) and I'm
    still getting the same error message.

    I have a feeling that it's somehow related to the fact that that web
    site tries to play background music (in a .wav file).

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks!

    Alex

    On Jun 4, 1:13 pm, Nir wrote:
    > blackblue...@bigfoot.com wrote:
    > > Hi,

    > > I'm having problems with Quicktime when visiting some web sites (i.e.

    > >http://www.angelfire.com/sd/Asteroide/index.html).

    > Do you have adblock plus extension installed? if so then disable it or
    > simply start firefox in safe mode and check that webpage again .
    > "To start firefox in safe mode : close firefox. goto start > programs >
    > firefox [ safe mode ]"

  4. Re: Quicktime Error #0 - please help!

    blackbluecat@bigfoot.com wrote:

    > I have a feeling that it's somehow related to the fact that that web
    > site tries to play background music (in a .wav file).

    Open the Quicktime Settings window from within the Quicktime Player
    ("Edit -> Preferences -> Quicktime Preferences") or by double-clicking
    "Quicktime" in the Windows Control Panel.
    Go to the Browser tab and click the MIME Settings button.
    Uncheck 'wav' filetype

  5. Re: Quicktime Error #0 - please help!

    blackbluecat@bigfoot.com wrote:
    > Hi Nir,
    >
    > The ONLY add-on that's currently installed (was installed by firefox's
    > own install program) is Talkback ver 2.0.0.2.
    >
    > I started Firefox in safe mode (without checking any of the boxes in
    > the dialog that came up before actually starting the browser) and I'm
    > still getting the same error message.
    >
    > I have a feeling that it's somehow related to the fact that that web
    > site tries to play background music (in a .wav file).
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Alex
    >
    > On Jun 4, 1:13 pm, Nir wrote:
    >> blackblue...@bigfoot.com wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I'm having problems with Quicktime when visiting some web sites (i.e.
    >>> http://www.angelfire.com/sd/Asteroide/index.html).

    >> Do you have adblock plus extension installed? if so then disable it or
    >> simply start firefox in safe mode and check that webpage again .
    >> "To start firefox in safe mode : close firefox. goto start > programs >
    >> firefox [ safe mode ]"

    Quicktime has no problem with .wav files (at least on a mac)

  6. Re: Quicktime Error #0 - please help!

    On Jun 4, 3:19 pm, Nir wrote:
    > Open the Quicktime Settings window from within the Quicktime Player
    > ("Edit -> Preferences -> Quicktime Preferences") or by double-clicking
    > "Quicktime" in the Windows Control Panel.
    > Go to the Browser tab and click the MIME Settings button.
    > Uncheck 'wav' filetype

    Hi Nir,

    Did what you asked for.

    Now firefox shows a yellow bar at the top of the browsing area stating
    that "Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this
    page." and a button on the upper right corner (also on this yellow
    bar) with the caption "Install Missing Plugins...".

    When I click on the button, the Plugin Finder Service comes up
    indicating that "Apple Quicktime" is an available plugin (for
    installation, I guess).

    When I hit the "Next" button on the Plugin Finder Service I get a "No
    plugins were installed." message on the top of this window, then Apple
    Quicktime listed as Not Available and a button captioned "Manual
    Install".

    Clicking on this button takes me to Apple's web site, where I can
    download quicktime from.

    But I already have quicktime installed, it's marked NOT to open wav
    files, and in Firefox I have Windows Media Player as the program to
    use to open .wav files.

    Firefox just refuses to use Windows Media Player.

    Again, thanks for your determination with this. Other ideas?

    Alex

  7. Re: Quicktime Error #0 - please help!

    > Quicktime has no problem with .wav files (at least on a mac)
    >
    > --
    > Phillip M. Jones, CET http://www.vpea.org
    > If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! mailtojo...@kimbanet.com
    > http://www.kimbanet.com/~pjones/default.htm
    > Mac G4-500, OSX.3.9 Mac 17" PowerBook G4-1.67 Gb, OSX.4.8

    Hi Philip,

    Thanks. I don't think that it has a problem with Wav files on a PC (I
    forgot to mention that I'm on a machine running xp pro sp2, pentium 4
    with HyperThreading, 1GB Ram), but somehow the combination of Firefox
    AND Quicktime isn't working for me.

    Thanks for your input!

    Alex

+ Reply to Thread