Tabs were better the way they were - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Tabs were better the way they were - Mozilla ; The move in the newest version to copy Microsoft's way of using tabs is very disappointing. I found having the "X" to close the tab in the top right corner of the browser, as opposed to the top of each ...

  1. Tabs were better the way they were

    The move in the newest version to copy Microsoft's way of using tabs
    is very disappointing. I found having the "X" to close the tab in the
    top right corner of the browser, as opposed to the top of each tab to
    be much better ergonomically.

    I am a photographer and view many photo sites. I love that I could
    right click and open up each image in it's own tab and then as I
    viewed each image I could leave the mouse where it was and close the
    tab and view the next image, and so on. Now it's a mouse move every
    time you want to close a tab.

    Time to go find a version of 1.5 and junk this one.

  2. Re: Tabs were better the way they were

    geeman39@gmail.com wrote:
    > The move in the newest version to copy Microsoft's way of using tabs
    > is very disappointing. I found having the "X" to close the tab in the
    > top right corner of the browser, as opposed to the top of each tab to
    > be much better ergonomically.
    >
    > I am a photographer and view many photo sites. I love that I could
    > right click and open up each image in it's own tab and then as I
    > viewed each image I could leave the mouse where it was and close the
    > tab and view the next image, and so on. Now it's a mouse move every
    > time you want to close a tab.

    Type about:config into the location/address bar and press enter.
    Locate the preference browser.tabs.closeButtons and double-click on it
    to change its value to 3
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.tabs.closeButtons

  3. Re: Tabs were better the way they were

    On 31 May 2007 16:04:11 -0700, geeman39@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am a photographer and view many photo sites. I love that I could
    > right click and open up each image in it's own tab and then as I
    > viewed each image I could leave the mouse where it was and close the
    > tab and view the next image, and so on. Now it's a mouse move every
    > time you want to close a tab.
    >
    > Time to go find a version of 1.5 and junk this one.

    Or change the preference in 2.x from the default of 1 to 3:

    --
    Rom

  4. Re: Tabs were better the way they were

    geeman39@gmail.com wrote:
    > The move in the newest version to copy Microsoft's way of using tabs
    > is very disappointing. I found having the "X" to close the tab in the
    > top right corner of the browser, as opposed to the top of each tab to
    > be much better ergonomically.
    >
    > I am a photographer and view many photo sites. I love that I could
    > right click and open up each image in it's own tab and then as I
    > viewed each image I could leave the mouse where it was and close the
    > tab and view the next image, and so on. Now it's a mouse move every
    > time you want to close a tab.
    >
    > Time to go find a version of 1.5 and junk this one.

    Method I.
    With or without close buttons, you can always close the current tab by hitting
    Ctrl-W

    Method II.

    1. Enter about:config in the URL bar and hit Enter.

    2. Find the preference named "browser.tabs.closeButtons" (they are ordered
    alphabetically, and you can enter a "filter" to display only the lines
    containing a string of your choice: closeButton might be a good choice in this
    case).

    3. Double-click that pref's line, and change the value as follows:

    0 = close button on the active tab only
    1 = close button on all tabs, unless they get too narrow, then as above (default)
    2 = No close buttons at all
    3 = One close button at the end of the strip (as in Fx 1.5)

    4. The new value comes into effect as soon as you dismiss the popup by
    clicking OK.

    See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.tabs.closeButtons for details.

    Method III.
    Install the "Tab Mix Plus" extension, and you'll get much finer control over
    the tabs than in plain-vanilla Firefox, including buttons, tab context menus,
    link context menus, and a session-save feature which is IMHO much better than
    the one built into Fx2.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

  5. Re: Tabs were better the way they were

    wrote ...
    > The move in the newest version to copy Microsoft's way of using tabs
    > is very disappointing. I found having the "X" to close the tab in the
    > top right corner of the browser, as opposed to the top of each tab to
    > be much better ergonomically.
    >
    > Time to go find a version of 1.5 and junk this one.

    Guess you have not updated in quite awhile because this was
    in Fx 2.0 and we are at 2.0.0.4 now. You might want
    to take a look at other problems you might discover and want
    to change, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm#fx2

    And you might want to really customize your tabs beyond
    moving the close button off of the tab, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#userchrome

    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

  6. Re: Tabs were better the way they were

    geeman39@gmail.com wrote:
    > The move in the newest version to copy Microsoft's way of using tabs
    > is very disappointing. I found having the "X" to close the tab in the
    > top right corner of the browser, as opposed to the top of each tab to
    > be much better ergonomically.
    >
    > I am a photographer and view many photo sites. I love that I could
    > right click and open up each image in it's own tab and then as I
    > viewed each image I could leave the mouse where it was and close the
    > tab and view the next image, and so on. Now it's a mouse move every
    > time you want to close a tab.
    >
    > Time to go find a version of 1.5 and junk this one.

    Sigh.

    Why not just configure THIS version, with all the security fixes
    (IMPORTANT!!), and have your cake, and eat it too?

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread