Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons - Mozilla ; The bookmarks toolbar buttons in the Mac version of Firefox 2.0.0.3 have a blank space at the right end. Is it possible to get rid of that blank space so that the name goes right up to the end? Which ...

  1. Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    The bookmarks toolbar buttons in the Mac version of Firefox 2.0.0.3 have
    a blank space at the right end. Is it possible to get rid of that blank
    space so that the name goes right up to the end?
    Which file in the theme controls that padding, or whatever it is?
    Is there any userChrome tweak that can be applied to change that?

  2. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    "EE" wrote..
    > The bookmarks toolbar buttons in the Mac version of Firefox 2.0.0.3 have
    > a blank space at the right end. Is it possible to get rid of that blank
    > space so that the name goes right up to the end?
    > Which file in the theme controls that padding, or whatever it is?
    > Is there any userChrome tweak that can be applied to change that?

    See my page on tabs and all of the code for my userChrome.css
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...userchrome.txt
    which allow the tabs to squeeze right down to the size of the
    icon or smaller. You have a mouse over to still see the tab
    names and you have the tabs dropdown at the right, It really
    made no sense that FF was changed to fit only about 5 tabs
    on the scroll bar (at 1024X768).

    Another change I really like is the red underline I have for
    the active tab, blue underline for other tabs that have
    been read, and green underline for tabs that have not been
    read. I don't have a Mac, but I think this is all the same
    cross platforms. I don't know though whether I did something
    so that new tabs are not always opened at the right end,
    I don't like anything but at the right end and especially don't
    like the inconsistency, but the green underline bar helps.

    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

  3. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    On 28/05/2007 22:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused EE to generate
    the following:? :
    > The bookmarks toolbar buttons in the Mac version of Firefox 2.0.0.3 have
    > a blank space at the right end. Is it possible to get rid of that blank
    > space so that the name goes right up to the end?
    > Which file in the theme controls that padding, or whatever it is?
    > Is there any userChrome tweak that can be applied to change that?

    have you tried "Customize" to see if there is a Blank Space on the
    toolbar?? In Windaft, toolbars are customizable (at least, the
    "standard ones" are)

    reg

  4. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    > I don't have a Mac, but I think this is all the same
    > cross platforms.

    Ah, well. Then I'll just share this with you...

    When I used to use Firefox on the Mac, I found that everything that
    claimed to do anything with tabs failed.

    With regret, I stopped using Firefox altogether on the Mac. My regular
    browser there now with no regrets is Camino.

  5. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > "EE" wrote..
    >> The bookmarks toolbar buttons in the Mac version of Firefox 2.0.0.3 have
    >> a blank space at the right end. Is it possible to get rid of that blank
    >> space so that the name goes right up to the end?
    >> Which file in the theme controls that padding, or whatever it is?
    >> Is there any userChrome tweak that can be applied to change that?

    > See my page on tabs and all of the code for my userChrome.css
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...userchrome.txt
    > which allow the tabs to squeeze right down to the size of the
    > icon or smaller. You have a mouse over to still see the tab
    > names and you have the tabs dropdown at the right, It really
    > made no sense that FF was changed to fit only about 5 tabs
    > on the scroll bar (at 1024X768).
    >
    > Another change I really like is the red underline I have for
    > the active tab, blue underline for other tabs that have
    > been read, and green underline for tabs that have not been
    > read. I don't have a Mac, but I think this is all the same
    > cross platforms. I don't know though whether I did something
    > so that new tabs are not always opened at the right end,
    > I don't like anything but at the right end and especially don't
    > like the inconsistency, but the green underline bar helps.

    It is toolbar buttons on the bookmarks toolbar that I want to modify,
    not tabs.

  6. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    MalcolmO wrote:
    >> I don't have a Mac, but I think this is all the same
    >> cross platforms.

    > Ah, well. Then I'll just share this with you...
    >
    > When I used to use Firefox on the Mac, I found that everything that
    > claimed to do anything with tabs failed.
    >
    > With regret, I stopped using Firefox altogether on the Mac. My regular
    > browser there now with no regrets is Camino.

    This is not about tabs.

  7. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 28/05/2007 22:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused EE to generate
    > the following:? :
    >> The bookmarks toolbar buttons in the Mac version of Firefox 2.0.0.3
    >> have a blank space at the right end. Is it possible to get rid of
    >> that blank space so that the name goes right up to the end?
    >> Which file in the theme controls that padding, or whatever it is?
    >> Is there any userChrome tweak that can be applied to change that?
    >>

    > have you tried "Customize" to see if there is a Blank Space on the
    > toolbar?? In Windaft, toolbars are customizable (at least, the
    > "standard ones" are)
    >
    > reg

    I don't think you can put spaces on the bookmarks toolbar, can you?
    Anyway, there are none there.

  8. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    On 29/05/2007 07:30, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused EE to generate
    the following:? :
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >
    >> On 28/05/2007 22:53, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused EE to generate
    >> the following:? :
    >>
    >>> The bookmarks toolbar buttons in the Mac version of Firefox 2.0.0.3
    >>> have a blank space at the right end. Is it possible to get rid of
    >>> that blank space so that the name goes right up to the end?
    >>> Which file in the theme controls that padding, or whatever it is?
    >>> Is there any userChrome tweak that can be applied to change that?
    >>>

    >> have you tried "Customize" to see if there is a Blank Space on the
    >> toolbar?? In Windaft, toolbars are customizable (at least, the
    >> "standard ones" are)
    >>
    >> reg
    >>

    > I don't think you can put spaces on the bookmarks toolbar, can you?
    > Anyway, there are none there.

    The BM-toolbar is, indeed configurabls - I just made myself one (I
    prefer to use the BM sidebar) and customized it with Space, Variable
    Space and the Searchbar!

    reg

  9. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    >EE wrote ..
    >> The bookmarks toolbar buttons in the Mac version of Firefox 2.0.0.3 have
    >> a blank space at the right end. Is it possible to get rid of that blank
    >> space so that the name goes right up to the end?

    "squaredancer" > The BM-toolbar is, indeed configurabls - I just made myself one (I
    > prefer to use the BM sidebar) and customized it with Space, Variable
    > Space and the Searchbar!

    I just removed the the icons from the bookmarks toolbar, and made the folders
    text blue and the bookmarks text red, so with no buttons there is no space
    around the buttons, don't know if you'd like it or not but gives me
    a lot mores space. I try to keep only folders on the toolbars
    except for the needed bookmarklet to fix Google Groups. See picture at
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#userchrome
    anything on the visible portion of the bookmarks bar has a
    real short name. All dropdowns are unaffected by those
    changes, all of the mouseovers are also unaffected.

    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

  10. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    EE wrote:
    > The bookmarks toolbar buttons in the Mac version of Firefox 2.0.0.3
    > have a blank space at the right end. Is it possible to get rid of
    > that blank space so that the name goes right up to the end? Which
    > file in the theme controls that padding, or whatever it is? Is there
    > any userChrome tweak that can be applied to change that?

    You may see this one
    "http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1470414#1470414"

  11. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    If you want to keep the toolbar button this will probably do it for you
    and for the rest of examples by "lynchknot" see...
    http://www.gfxoasis.com/board/lofive...hp?t11762.html

    toolbarbutton.bookmark-item {
    margin: 1px;
    padding: 1px 0px 1px 0px;
    min-width: 0;
    max-width: 13em;
    font-weight: bold;
    color: inherit;
    border: none !important;
    }

  12. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    David McRitchie wrote:
    >> EE wrote ..
    >>> The bookmarks toolbar buttons in the Mac version of Firefox 2.0.0.3 have
    >>> a blank space at the right end. Is it possible to get rid of that blank
    >>> space so that the name goes right up to the end?

    > "squaredancer" > The BM-toolbar is, indeed configurabls - I just made myself one (I
    >> prefer to use the BM sidebar) and customized it with Space, Variable
    >> Space and the Searchbar!

    > I just removed the the icons from the bookmarks toolbar, and made the folders
    > text blue and the bookmarks text red, so with no buttons there is no space
    > around the buttons, don't know if you'd like it or not but gives me
    > a lot mores space. I try to keep only folders on the toolbars
    > except for the needed bookmarklet to fix Google Groups. See picture at
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#userchrome
    > anything on the visible portion of the bookmarks bar has a
    > real short name. All dropdowns are unaffected by those
    > changes, all of the mouseovers are also unaffected.

    I am quite happy with the icons. It is the blank space at the other
    end, wider than an icon, that I want to eliminate.

  13. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > If you want to keep the toolbar button this will probably do it for you
    > and for the rest of examples by "lynchknot" see...
    > http://www.gfxoasis.com/board/lofive...hp?t11762.html
    >
    > toolbarbutton.bookmark-item {
    > margin: 1px;
    > padding: 1px 0px 1px 0px;
    > min-width: 0;
    > max-width: 13em;
    > font-weight: bold;
    > color: inherit;
    > border: none !important;
    > }

    Thanks very much. It has saved a little space, but there is still a gap
    at the right end of the toolbar button. I wish I knew what causes that.
    Maybe it is a Mac-specific morphology, or something?

  14. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    Nir wrote:
    > EE wrote:
    >> The bookmarks toolbar buttons in the Mac version of Firefox 2.0.0.3
    >> have a blank space at the right end. Is it possible to get rid of
    >> that blank space so that the name goes right up to the end? Which
    >> file in the theme controls that padding, or whatever it is? Is there
    >> any userChrome tweak that can be applied to change that?

    > You may see this one
    > "http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=1470414#1470414"

    Thanks, very interesting. Reducing the padding and margins worked very
    well with Windows, but not with Mac. The blank space is still present
    at the right end, but maybe not quite so wide. It must be a
    Mac-specific morphology?

  15. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    "EE" wrote...
    > David McRitchie wrote:
    > > If you want to keep the toolbar button this will probably do it for you
    > > and for the rest of examples by "lynchknot" see...
    > > http://www.gfxoasis.com/board/lofive...hp?t11762.html

    > Thanks very much. It has saved a little space, but there is still a gap
    > at the right end of the toolbar button. I wish I knew what causes that.
    > Maybe it is a Mac-specific morphology, or something?

    Interesting, because had I seen Nir's reply from 2 hours earlier, I'd
    certainly not have replied with that part especially without testing, and
    the names didn't seem to fit as well. Interesting that Mac and PC
    are actually different. When I was testing the other parts I was sure
    hoping that they didn't make a difference on what order they were included.

  16. Re: Mac Firefox bookmarks toolbar buttons

    > This is not about tabs.

    It was for him. I thought that, since he's a developer, he should know
    that they don't work on Mac. I thought it was cross-platform too. Like
    him, I was wrong.

    _Your_ issue I knew nothing about and hence didn't address.

+ Reply to Thread