href not generated - Mozilla

This is a discussion on href not generated - Mozilla ; I use FF to for my yahoo mail as well as browsing. When I find an interesting site I right click and then copy the URL. Now I write an email and paste (ctrl V) the URL. In IE that ...

  1. href not generated

    I use FF to for my yahoo mail as well as browsing.
    When I find an interesting site I right click and then copy the URL.
    Now I write an email and paste (ctrl V) the URL.
    In IE that URL is a clickable link. In FF it is just text.
    Looking at the source from messages sent to myself the difference is
    clear. FF is NOT generating the href tag. Why?????????????
    The yahoo mail settings are the same.
    I may be forced back to IE.

    Lou

  2. Re: href not generated

    Lou wrote:
    > I use FF to for my yahoo mail as well as browsing.
    > When I find an interesting site I right click and then copy the URL.
    > Now I write an email and paste (ctrl V) the URL.
    > In IE that URL is a clickable link. In FF it is just text.
    > Looking at the source from messages sent to myself the difference is
    > clear. FF is NOT generating the href tag. Why?????????????

    I don't know. But if you want the easy solution, install Linkification
    Add-on. It "Converts text links into genuine, clickable links.":

    Solutions for issues with Firefox:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Category:Issues_%28Firefox%29

  3. Re: href not generated

    On 5/28/2007 1:04 PM, Lou wrote:
    > I use FF to for my yahoo mail as well as browsing.
    > When I find an interesting site I right click and then copy the URL.
    > Now I write an email and paste (ctrl V) the URL.
    > In IE that URL is a clickable link. In FF it is just text.
    > Looking at the source from messages sent to myself the difference is
    > clear. FF is NOT generating the href tag. Why?????????????
    > The yahoo mail settings are the same.
    > I may be forced back to IE.
    >
    > Lou

    As an experiment try pasting a link into an email and sending it to
    yourself. I think you will find that it is clickable in the received
    email even though it wasn't in the compose window.
    Dave Pyles

  4. Re: href not generated

    Lou wrote:
    > I use FF to for my yahoo mail as well as browsing.
    > When I find an interesting site I right click and then copy the URL.
    > Now I write an email and paste (ctrl V) the URL.
    > In IE that URL is a clickable link. In FF it is just text.
    > Looking at the source from messages sent to myself the difference is
    > clear. FF is NOT generating the href tag. Why?????????????
    > The yahoo mail settings are the same.
    > I may be forced back to IE.
    >
    > Lou

    Method I:
    Send the message in plaintext (not HTML). Then anything that looks like a URL
    will be clickable once the message arrives (at least if read in Thunderbird
    or, I think, OE).

    To compose in plaintext, untick "Compose messages in HTML format" in the
    Account settings, under "Composition & Addressing". You may need to do it for
    the default account in order for it to wait.

    Or, to do it for one message only, use "Options => Format => Plain text only"
    in the Compose window. (If that menu item is not present, you're already
    composing in plaintext.)

    Method II: To create a link when composing in HTML
    You see that you're composing in HTML by the presence of the formarring
    toolbar below the Subject box. Then, to create a link, use the second button
    from the right on that toolbar (which looks like a postcard, next to the
    smiley face). Select "Link" in the dropdown. Then you can enter in a popup
    what the link will display (e.g. "Go to my homepage") and what it will link to
    (e.g. http://users.example.net/lou/ ).

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    British Israelites:
    The British Israelites believe the white Anglo-Saxons of

  5. Re: href not generated

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > Lou wrote:
    >> I use FF to for my yahoo mail as well as browsing.
    >> When I find an interesting site I right click and then copy the URL.
    >> Now I write an email and paste (ctrl V) the URL.
    >> In IE that URL is a clickable link. In FF it is just text.
    >> Looking at the source from messages sent to myself the difference is
    >> clear. FF is NOT generating the href tag. Why?????????????
    >> The yahoo mail settings are the same.
    >> I may be forced back to IE.
    >>
    >> Lou

    > Method I:
    > Send the message in plaintext (not HTML). Then anything that looks like
    > a URL will be clickable once the message arrives (at least if read in
    > Thunderbird or, I think, OE).
    >
    > To compose in plaintext, untick "Compose messages in HTML format" in the
    > Account settings, under "Composition & Addressing". You may need to do
    > it for the default account in order for it to wait.
    >
    > Or, to do it for one message only, use "Options => Format => Plain text
    > only" in the Compose window. (If that menu item is not present, you're
    > already composing in plaintext.)
    >

    > Method II: To create a link when composing in HTML
    > You see that you're composing in HTML by the presence of the formarring
    > toolbar below the Subject box. Then, to create a link, use the second
    > button from the right on that toolbar (which looks like a postcard, next
    > to the smiley face). Select "Link" in the dropdown. Then you can enter
    > in a popup what the link will display (e.g. "Go to my homepage") and
    > what it will link to (e.g. http://users.example.net/lou/ ).
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Oops, wrong answer. The answer I gave is for Thunderbird.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Grabel's Law:
    2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for large values of 2.

  6. Re: href not generated

    Lou wrote in

    > I use FF to for my yahoo mail as well as browsing.
    > When I find an interesting site I right click and then copy
    > the URL. Now I write an email and paste (ctrl V) the URL.
    > In IE that URL is a clickable link. In FF it is just text.
    > Looking at the source from messages sent to myself the
    > difference is clear. FF is NOT generating the href tag.
    > Why????????????? The yahoo mail settings are the same.
    > I may be forced back to IE.
    >
    > Lou

    The "href" tag is largely unnecessary in mail or news clients; all
    but the most archaic (AOL's reader) treat any properly formatted
    hyperlink as a clickable link.

    So while the link doesn't work in the composition window, it works
    fine on the recieving end.

    --
    }:-) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

  7. Re: href not generated

    Christopher Jahn wrote:
    > Lou wrote in
    >
    >> I use FF to for my yahoo mail as well as browsing.
    >> When I find an interesting site I right click and then copy
    >> the URL. Now I write an email and paste (ctrl V) the URL.
    >> In IE that URL is a clickable link. In FF it is just text.
    >> Looking at the source from messages sent to myself the
    >> difference is clear. FF is NOT generating the href tag.
    >> Why????????????? The yahoo mail settings are the same.
    >> I may be forced back to IE.
    >>
    >> Lou

    > The "href" tag is largely unnecessary in mail or news clients; all
    > but the most archaic (AOL's reader) treat any properly formatted
    > hyperlink as a clickable link.
    >
    > So while the link doesn't work in the composition window, it works
    > fine on the recieving end.

    Uh Multiple tests have shown that to not be true. Have sent many emails
    to myself and FF does not act the way you state.

    Lou

  8. Re: href not generated

    David Pyles wrote:
    > On 5/28/2007 1:04 PM, Lou wrote:
    >> I use FF to for my yahoo mail as well as browsing.
    >> When I find an interesting site I right click and then copy the URL.
    >> Now I write an email and paste (ctrl V) the URL.
    >> In IE that URL is a clickable link. In FF it is just text.
    >> Looking at the source from messages sent to myself the difference is
    >> clear. FF is NOT generating the href tag. Why?????????????
    >> The yahoo mail settings are the same.
    >> I may be forced back to IE.
    >>
    >> Lou

    > As an experiment try pasting a link into an email and sending it to
    > yourself. I think you will find that it is clickable in the received
    > email even though it wasn't in the compose window.
    > Dave Pyles

    Did that, multiple times, NOT so.

    Lou

  9. Re: href not generated

    Aggro wrote:
    > Lou wrote:
    >> I use FF to for my yahoo mail as well as browsing.
    >> When I find an interesting site I right click and then copy the URL.
    >> Now I write an email and paste (ctrl V) the URL.
    >> In IE that URL is a clickable link. In FF it is just text.
    >> Looking at the source from messages sent to myself the difference is
    >> clear. FF is NOT generating the href tag. Why?????????????

    > I don't know. But if you want the easy solution, install Linkification
    > Add-on. It "Converts text links into genuine, clickable links.":

    Will try. Will post back. Thanks.

    Lou

  10. Re: href not generated

    In ,
    Lou wrote:

    > Christopher Jahn wrote:

    > > The "href" tag is largely unnecessary in mail or news clients; all
    > > but the most archaic (AOL's reader) treat any properly formatted
    > > hyperlink as a clickable link.
    > >
    > > So while the link doesn't work in the composition window, it works
    > > fine on the recieving end.

    > Uh Multiple tests have shown that to not be true. Have sent many
    > emails to myself and FF does not act the way you state.

    It should be clickable for anyone on the receiving end who's using an
    e-mail client which makes plain-text urls clickable, and Christopher is
    right that most clients will do that.

    But if you are sending to other Yahoo mail users, and they are viewing
    the posts with Firefox through Yahoo's web interface, they'll probably
    see the same thing you are when you view the ones you've sent to
    yourself.

    So IMO the real problem is that with Firefox, Yahoo's web interface
    doesn't "linkify" the urls in the incoming mail. I'm afraid I don't
    have a solution to that. Maybe someone with a Yahoo mail account can
    see if there's some setting that affects it.

  11. Re: href not generated

    Lou wrote:

    > Uh Multiple tests have shown that to not be true. Have sent many
    > emails to myself and FF does not act the way you state.
    >
    > Lou

    No problem with yahoo mail beta .
    But if you are using non-beta then try it in this way:
    paste url in compose window. select that url and click on hyperlink icon
    ( next to Smilies ), put that same url in popup window.
    It will not make url clickable in compose window but recipient will find
    that url clickable .

  12. Re: href not generated

    Nir wrote:
    > Lou wrote:
    >
    >> Uh Multiple tests have shown that to not be true. Have sent many
    >> emails to myself and FF does not act the way you state.
    >>
    >> Lou

    > No problem with yahoo mail beta .
    > But if you are using non-beta then try it in this way:
    > paste url in compose window. select that url and click on hyperlink icon
    > ( next to Smilies ), put that same url in popup window.
    > It will not make url clickable in compose window but recipient will find
    > that url clickable .

    Thank you. I had tried it and it does appear to work!

    Lou

+ Reply to Thread