Firefox multi-columning text randomly? How do I stop it? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox multi-columning text randomly? How do I stop it? - Mozilla ; Dear all, Here's a weird thing that I can't figure out. I've recently reworked my website, and occasionally, when a page loads the main body of text gets split into more than one column within the same . I haven't ...

  1. Firefox multi-columning text randomly? How do I stop it?

    Dear all,

    Here's a weird thing that I can't figure out. I've recently reworked
    my website, and occasionally, when a page loads the main body of text
    gets split into more than one column within the same
    . I haven't
    asked it to do this, and indeed, it doesn't do it consistently - if I
    reload the page, it may load as one column, two, three, or even more,
    and splits the text in seemingly random places (though always at a

    tag). The bigger the page, the worse the issue. Here's the worst case
    one:

    http://www.rectanglered.com/cv.php

    This page almost always splits, and usually looks absolutely horrible.
    If it seems ok to you when you load the page for the first time,
    reload the page a couple of times, and you'll see what I mean.

    It displays fine in IE6 and IE7, but does this crazy page splitting
    stuff in Firefox 1.5 and Firefox 2.0. I think it might be something to
    do with the css3 column text support, but no matter what directives I
    add to the stylesheets (-moz-column-count, etc), I can't switch off
    this behaviour, or even control it.

    Can anyone give me some pointers as to how I can modify my HTML/CSS to
    stop it splitting columns like this?

    Many thanks,

    Clive

  2. Re: Firefox multi-columning text randomly? How do I stop it?

    On May 15, 2:18 pm, C A Upsdell <""cupsdell\"@nos...@upsdell.com">
    wrote:
    > Clive Williams wrote:
    > > Dear all,

    > > Here's a weird thing that I can't figure out. I've recently reworked
    > > my website, and occasionally, when a page loads the main body of text
    > > gets split into more than one column within the same
    . I haven't
    > > asked it to do this, and indeed, it doesn't do it consistently - if I
    > > reload the page, it may load as one column, two, three, or even more,
    > > and splits the text in seemingly random places (though always at a

    > > tag). The bigger the page, the worse the issue. Here's the worst case
    > > one:

    > >http://www.rectanglered.com/cv.php

    > A bunch of HTML errors on that page, including the same IDs being set in
    > multiple places, which I suspect is the cause of the problem.

    Cheers - I found a coding issue which I've now fixed. It now displays
    properly...

    Cheers,

    Clive

  3. Re: Firefox multi-columning text randomly? How do I stop it?

    On 15/05/2007 15:33, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Clive Williams
    to generate the following:? :
    > On May 15, 2:18 pm, C A Upsdell <""cupsdell\"@nos...@upsdell.com">
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Clive Williams wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dear all,
    >>>
    >>> Here's a weird thing that I can't figure out. I've recently reworked
    >>> my website, and occasionally, when a page loads the main body of text
    >>> gets split into more than one column within the same
    . I haven't
    >>> asked it to do this, and indeed, it doesn't do it consistently - if I
    >>> reload the page, it may load as one column, two, three, or even more,
    >>> and splits the text in seemingly random places (though always at a

    >>> tag). The bigger the page, the worse the issue. Here's the worst case
    >>> one:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.rectanglered.com/cv.php
    >>>

    >> A bunch of HTML errors on that page, including the same IDs being set in
    >> multiple places, which I suspect is the cause of the problem.
    >>

    > Cheers - I found a coding issue which I've now fixed. It now displays
    > properly...
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Clive

    maybe so, but check out this link and correct the remaining errors
    listed there...
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...red.com/cv.php

    reg

  4. Re: Firefox multi-columning text randomly? How do I stop it?

    On May 15, 3:32 pm, squaredancer wrote:

    > maybe so, but check out this link and correct the remaining errors
    > listed there...http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...red.com/cv.php
    >
    > reg

    Embarrassing typos now cleared up - thanks for the pointer.

    Cheers,

    Clive

+ Reply to Thread