disable icq searchengine - Mozilla

This is a discussion on disable icq searchengine - Mozilla ; i had firefox that when i just typed the name of a website with out extension, it would ad the extension automaticaly. now i downloaded the new icq version 6.0 and now suddenly icq takes over. so when you don't ...

  1. disable icq searchengine

    i had firefox that when i just typed the name of a website with out
    extension, it would ad the extension automaticaly.

    now i downloaded the new icq version 6.0 and now suddenly icq takes
    over. so when you don't ad the extension, you get to the icq
    searchengine. icq added also a lot of useless tools in the bar and in
    the op right hand corner searchengine bar.

    i took everything off again, but can't figure out how to stop icq to
    start searching sites for me. it's really a pain that some programs
    think they have the right to take over your computer.

    i mean, when we got spam in the old days, just flyers in the
    letterbox, the post man did not enter the house and put stickers of
    companies on your furniture...

    thanks for any suggestion... dimitri

  2. Re: disable icq searchengine

    "dimitri" ...
    > i had firefox that when i just typed the name of a website with out
    > extension, it would ad the extension automaticaly.
    >
    > now i downloaded the new icq version 6.0 and now suddenly icq takes
    > over. so when you don't ad the extension, you get to the icq
    > searchengine. icq added also a lot of useless tools in the bar and in
    > the op right hand corner searchengine bar.
    >
    > i took everything off again, but can't figure out how to stop icq to
    > start searching sites for me. it's really a pain that some programs
    > think they have the right to take over your computer.
    >
    > i mean, when we got spam in the old days, just flyers in the
    > letterbox, the post man did not enter the house and put stickers of
    > companies on your furniture...

    Hi Dimitri,
    You do mean the domain suffix don't you, see

    Search Mozilla and other Firefox Searches
    Don't use default search from address bar (#nodefault)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef....htm#nodefault

    Type about:config on the location bar then filter on: browser.fixup
    for each of the following items right click, and use "reset"
    to restore the default value, Make a note of what you had
    as you might not want the default value for everything.
    I don't know where you are, so ".com" might not be for you

    browser.fixup.alternate.suffix default string .com
    browser.fixup.alternate.prefix default string www.
    browser.fixup.alternate.enabled default boolean true
    browser.fixup.hide_user_pass default boolean true

    and for the sort, I think you are looking for (again use reset for default)
    keyword.URL user set string
    http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-...ient&gfns=1&q=
    keyword.enabled user set boolean false

    the ie and oe stand for Input Encoding and Output Encoding

    My own preference is to prevent
    searches entirely, and to prevent incomplete domain names
    as well.

  3. Re: disable icq searchengine

    On 24/04/2007 6:40 AM, _dimitri_ spoke thusly:
    > i had firefox that when i just typed the name of a website with out
    > extension, it would ad the extension automaticaly.
    >
    > now i downloaded the new icq version 6.0 and now suddenly icq takes
    > over. so when you don't ad the extension, you get to the icq
    > searchengine. icq added also a lot of useless tools in the bar and in
    > the op right hand corner searchengine bar.
    >
    > i took everything off again, but can't figure out how to stop icq to
    > start searching sites for me. it's really a pain that some programs
    > think they have the right to take over your computer.

    Go to Tools-->Add-ons. Are there any ICQ items listed in the Extensions
    section?
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator