Invoke a Restore Session? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Invoke a Restore Session? - Mozilla ; How can I quit ffox 2 in such a way that it will ask to restore my session next time? It seems to only offer the option if it dies unnaturally....

  1. Invoke a Restore Session?

    How can I quit ffox 2 in such a way that it will ask to restore my
    session next time? It seems to only offer the option if it dies
    unnaturally.

  2. Re: Invoke a Restore Session?

    On 4/21/2007 9:31 PM, dterrors@hotmail.com wrote:
    > How can I quit ffox 2 in such a way that it will ask to restore my
    > session next time? It seems to only offer the option if it dies
    > unnaturally.

    If what you hope to do is to start next time with the same group of tabs open,
    one solution would be to set that group of tabs as your Home page.

    Tools>>Options>>Main>>"Use current pages"

    Another is to bookmark the set of tabs to the Bookmarks Toolbar (Ctrl+Shift+D).
    Give the set a name and save to "Bookmarks Toolbar" When you next Start
    Firefox Click the folder created on the toolbar and select "Open in tabs"

    Forcing Firefox to Quit unnaturally will create problems that will require much
    more work to correct and you may lose data that you will have to find again or
    recreate.

    If you have some other reason to want session restore, please explain more fully.

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  3. Re: Invoke a Restore Session?

    In ,
    "G. R. Woodring" wrote:

    > On 4/21/2007 9:31 PM, dterrors@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > How can I quit ffox 2 in such a way that it will ask to restore my
    > > session next time? It seems to only offer the option if it dies
    > > unnaturally.
    > >

    > If what you hope to do is to start next time with the same group of
    > tabs open, one solution would be to set that group of tabs as your
    > Home page.
    >
    > Tools>>Options>>Main>>"Use current pages"
    >
    > Another is to bookmark the set of tabs to the Bookmarks Toolbar
    > (Ctrl+Shift+D). Give the set a name and save to "Bookmarks Toolbar"
    > When you next Start Firefox Click the folder created on the toolbar
    > and select "Open in tabs"

    A third is to use the Session Fix extension,
    . It adds a
    session-saving option to the "You are about to close N tabs" warning.

  4. Re: Invoke a Restore Session?

    dterrors@hotmail.com wrote:
    > How can I quit ffox 2 in such a way that it will ask to restore my
    > session next time? It seems to only offer the option if it dies
    > unnaturally.

    1. Install the Tab Mix Plus extension and restart Firefox

    2. Tools => Tab Mix Plus options => Sessions
    Check or Uncheck as follows:
    [ ] Use Firefox's built-in Session Restore feature
    [x] Enable Session Manager
    [x] Enable Crash Recovery
    When Browser Starts: (*) Restore
    or (*) Ask before restoring
    but not ( ) Don't Restore
    When Browser Exits: (*) Save Session
    or (*) Ask before saving
    but not ( ) Don't Save
    Startup Session: [Last Session|v]
    [x] Choose another if empty

    -- With that extension, you also have the possibility to save a session at any
    time and give it a name.

    *** Note: Works with Fx 1.5 or 2.0. Tab Mix Plus sessions do *not* work with
    the current nightly builds of Firefox (Minefield) 3.0 alpha 4. Neither is it
    compatible with the SeaMonkey tabbed browser (any version).

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Major Premise: Sixty men can do a piece of work sixty times as quickly
    as one man.

    Minor Premise: One man can dig a posthole in sixty seconds.

    Conclusion: Sixty men can dig a posthole in one second.

  5. Re: Invoke a Restore Session?

    On Apr 21, 9:31 pm, dterr...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > How can I quit ffox 2 in such a way that it will ask to restore my
    > session next time? It seems to only offer the option if it dies
    > unnaturally.

    Thanks for the answers but it sounds like everyone's answer was
    talking about tabs. What I'm asking about is saving the session- so
    not just tabs but all open browser windows and their positions. I
    don't use tabs. Will anyone's solution save the windows as well or is
    it all about tabs?

    Seems lame that ffox has the ability to save session, the code is all
    in there and working, but there's no option to explicitly invoke it
    other than killing the firefox process. Maybe I should open it as a
    feature request.

  6. Re: Invoke a Restore Session?

    dterrors@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 21, 9:31 pm, dterr...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> How can I quit ffox 2 in such a way that it will ask to restore my
    >> session next time? It seems to only offer the option if it dies
    >> unnaturally.

    > Thanks for the answers but it sounds like everyone's answer was
    > talking about tabs. What I'm asking about is saving the session- so
    > not just tabs but all open browser windows and their positions. I
    > don't use tabs. Will anyone's solution save the windows as well or is
    > it all about tabs?
    >
    > Seems lame that ffox has the ability to save session, the code is all
    > in there and working, but there's no option to explicitly invoke it
    > other than killing the firefox process. Maybe I should open it as a
    > feature request.

    For a single window (with or without tabs) you can do it from the
    preferences/options, from the "main" tab at "when firefox starts"
    select "show my windows and tabs from the last time".

    To use this with several windows, you would first need to figure out a
    way to close them simultaneously (like what happens when the process is
    killed), because obviously Firefox can't open all the browser windows
    you have at some point closed during your entire life. Only the most
    reasent close action can be handled.

    The obvious and easy solution to this problem is to use tabs instead of
    windows. But I assume that is not an option to you.

    May I ask why can't you use tabs instead of windows? Perhaps it is
    easier to solve that problem, instead of this one?

  7. Re: Invoke a Restore Session?

    On Apr 22, 10:42 am, Aggro wrote:
    > dterr...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > On Apr 21, 9:31 pm, dterr...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > >> How can I quit ffox 2 in such a way that it will ask to restore my
    > >> session next time? It seems to only offer the option if it dies
    > >> unnaturally.

    > > Thanks for the answers but it sounds like everyone's answer was
    > > talking about tabs. What I'm asking about is saving the session- so
    > > not just tabs but all open browser windows and their positions. I
    > > don't use tabs. Will anyone's solution save the windows as well or is
    > > it all about tabs?

    > > Seems lame that ffox has the ability to save session, the code is all
    > > in there and working, but there's no option to explicitly invoke it
    > > other than killing the firefox process. Maybe I should open it as a
    > > feature request.

    > For a single window (with or without tabs) you can do it from the
    > preferences/options, from the "main" tab at "when firefox starts"
    > select "show my windows and tabs from the last time".
    >
    > To use this with several windows, you would first need to figure out a
    > way to close them simultaneously (like what happens when the process is
    > killed), because obviously Firefox can't open all the browser windows
    > you have at some point closed during your entire life. Only the most
    > reasent close action can be handled.
    >
    > The obvious and easy solution to this problem is to use tabs instead of
    > windows. But I assume that is not an option to you.
    >
    > May I ask why can't you use tabs instead of windows? Perhaps it is
    > easier to solve that problem, instead of this one?

    I just don't like tabs a much as separate windows. I'm much more
    productive with multiple windows than tabs.

  8. Re: Invoke a Restore Session?

    dterrors@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 22, 10:42 am, Aggro wrote:
    >> dterr...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>> Thanks for the answers but it sounds like everyone's answer was
    >>> talking about tabs. What I'm asking about is saving the session- so
    >>> not just tabs but all open browser windows and their positions. I
    >>> don't use tabs. Will anyone's solution save the windows as well or is
    >>> it all about tabs?
    >>> Seems lame that ffox has the ability to save session, the code is all
    >>> in there and working, but there's no option to explicitly invoke it
    >>> other than killing the firefox process. Maybe I should open it as a
    >>> feature request.

    >> For a single window (with or without tabs) you can do it from the
    >> preferences/options, from the "main" tab at "when firefox starts"
    >> select "show my windows and tabs from the last time".
    >>
    >> To use this with several windows, you would first need to figure out a
    >> way to close them simultaneously (like what happens when the process is
    >> killed), because obviously Firefox can't open all the browser windows
    >> you have at some point closed during your entire life. Only the most
    >> reasent close action can be handled.
    >>
    >> The obvious and easy solution to this problem is to use tabs instead of
    >> windows. But I assume that is not an option to you.
    >>
    >> May I ask why can't you use tabs instead of windows? Perhaps it is
    >> easier to solve that problem, instead of this one?

    > I just don't like tabs a much as separate windows. I'm much more
    > productive with multiple windows than tabs.

    Maybe the feature you should ask for is a way to move a tab to a
    separate window.

  9. Re: Invoke a Restore Session?

    On 2007-04-21 19:31 (-0600 UTC), dterrors@hotmail.com wrote:

    > How can I quit ffox 2 in such a way that it will ask to restore my
    > session next time? It seems to only offer the option if it dies
    > unnaturally.

    Look in the Main tab of your preferences, under Startup. . . .

    --
    /b.

    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  10. Re: Invoke a Restore Session?

    Aggro wrote:
    > dterrors@hotmail.com wrote:

    > For a single window (with or without tabs) you can do it from the
    > preferences/options, from the "main" tab at "when firefox starts"
    > select "show my windows and tabs from the last time".

    If one closes a multi-window session(no tabs) using 'File -Exit', your
    above suggestion for Firefox's startup preference will reopen the the
    same windows that were previously "exited".

    TomW

  11. Re: Invoke a Restore Session?

    On Apr 22, 3:40 pm, Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2007-04-21 19:31 (-0600 UTC), dterr...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > How can I quit ffox 2 in such a way that it will ask to restore my
    > > session next time? It seems to only offer the option if it dies
    > > unnaturally.

    > Look in the Main tab of your preferences, under Startup. . . .
    >
    > --
    > /b.
    >
    > String quartets don't march very well.
    > --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

    Perfect! Using brian's advice, and tomW's advice, I got it, thanks
    all.

    dt

  12. Re: Invoke a Restore Session?

    dterrors@hotmail.com made the point of, On 22/04/2007 02:31:
    > How can I quit ffox 2 in such a way that it will ask to restore my
    > session next time? It seems to only offer the option if it dies
    > unnaturally.

    Pull the power lead out of your PC

  13. Re: Invoke a Restore Session?

    dterrors@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 21, 9:31 pm, dterr...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> How can I quit ffox 2 in such a way that it will ask to restore my
    >> session next time? It seems to only offer the option if it dies
    >> unnaturally.

    > Thanks for the answers but it sounds like everyone's answer was
    > talking about tabs. What I'm asking about is saving the session- so
    > not just tabs but all open browser windows and their positions. I
    > don't use tabs. Will anyone's solution save the windows as well or is
    > it all about tabs?
    >
    > Seems lame that ffox has the ability to save session, the code is all
    > in there and working, but there's no option to explicitly invoke it
    > other than killing the firefox process. Maybe I should open it as a
    > feature request.

    Tab Mix Plus (which I mentioned) will save all the tabs in all the windows
    which were open when you exited Firefox.

    This means that:
    - if you exit Firefox by clicking the top-right X in every window in
    succession, only the last one will be saved, because closing the others did
    not "exit Firefox".
    - if you exit Firefox using File => Quit (or, on other platforms, File =>
    Exit), _then_ it will save all the browser windows which were open when you
    clicked that menu item.

    BTW, I make a difference between "closing" and "killing".

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    There are no physicists in the hottest parts of hell, because the
    existence of a "hottest part" implies a temperature difference, and any

+ Reply to Thread