Font-size support - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Font-size support - Mozilla ; Today I coded an htm page using the CSS {font:12pt/11pt} statement. To my astonishment, Internet Exploder (5.5) rendered it quite nicely and as intended. FireFox rendered it as if I had written {12pt/14pt - or more} i.e. with an ugly ...

  1. Font-size support

    Today I coded an htm page using the CSS {font:12pt/11pt} statement. To my
    astonishment, Internet Exploder (5.5) rendered it quite nicely and as intended.
    FireFox rendered it as if I had written {12pt/14pt - or more} i.e. with an ugly
    visible space in-between successive lines - which was precisely what I wanted to
    avoid by using the CSS statement. How can I avoid this?

  2. Re: Font-size support

    Lipizzaner wrote:
    > Today I coded an htm page using the CSS {font:12pt/11pt} statement. To my
    > astonishment, Internet Exploder (5.5) rendered it quite nicely and as intended.
    > FireFox rendered it as if I had written {12pt/14pt - or more} i.e. with an ugly
    > visible space in-between successive lines - which was precisely what I wanted to
    > avoid by using the CSS statement. How can I avoid this?

    URL?

  3. Re: Font-size support

    Am 21-Apr-2007, C A Upsdell <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com"> schrieb:

    > Lipizzaner wrote:
    > > Today I coded an htm page using the CSS {font:12pt/11pt} statement. To my
    > > astonishment, Internet Exploder (5.5) rendered it quite nicely and as
    > > intended.
    > > FireFox rendered it as if I had written {12pt/14pt - or more} i.e. with an
    > > ugly
    > > visible space in-between successive lines - which was precisely what I
    > > wanted to
    > > avoid by using the CSS statement. How can I avoid this?

    > URL?

    umm - well, that's a bit sensitive. It's actually a web page for a newsgroup
    that does not want to be known too publicly. *Nothing illegal* (in my country -
    Libya, Dubai or the USA may differ), just trying to stay spam-free. Just
    curious: why do you need a URL? Is this the first time someone questioned the
    font handling in Fx?

  4. Re: Font-size support

    Lipizzaner wrote:
    > Just curious: why do you need a URL?

    we ask for the address so we can see whats going on and make
    suggestions. From what you've given, its hard to say. It
    could be something else that is causing the problem.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: Font-size support

    On 21/04/2007 03:15, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Lipizzaner to
    generate the following:? :
    > Today I coded an htm page using the CSS {font:12pt/11pt} statement. To my
    > astonishment, Internet Exploder (5.5) rendered it quite nicely and as intended.
    > FireFox rendered it as if I had written {12pt/14pt - or more} i.e. with an ugly
    > visible space in-between successive lines - which was precisely what I wanted to
    > avoid by using the CSS statement. How can I avoid this?

    no need to be "astonished" at IE doing "what you want/expect" - IE irons
    out code errors, whereas FF is quite strict!
    Go to this site and run a W3C file validation (you can enter the file
    location on your computer)
    http://validator.w3.org/

    there is also a validation site for CSS code, but I don't have it here!

    Correct any errors found and try the file again in FF, before you upload
    to the internet.

    reg

  6. Re: Font-size support

    "squaredancer"
    > Go to this site and run a W3C file validation (you can
    > enter the file location on your computer)
    > http://validator.w3.org/

    http://validator.w3.org/docs/ [Documentation]

    The other validators can be found by leaving off the
    validator in the above link and looking in left column, also at
    http://www.w3.org/QA/Tools/
    The CSS validator also mentioned can be found there and is
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/manual.html [user manual]
    It can also be found in the links within wording at top of
    the [HTML] htttp://validator.w3.org/ page

    Besides the regular HTML validator there is a beta
    http://validator-test.w3.org/

    Keyword shortcuts or regular bookmarks can be assigned
    to bookmarklets to check a current page. The W3C supplied
    bookmarklets (Favlets) can be found at
    http://validator.w3.org/favelets.html
    also available through the "Web Developer" extension.

    I prefer to use HTML-Kit (with HTML Tidy) to check HTML
    since it combines an editor (HTML-Kit) with validator (HTML Tidy). By sorting errors by line number and starting at
    the bottom works best for me.

    Why is it that some of the most uncooperative people
    get the most complete answers.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/posting.htm

    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

  7. Re: Font-size support

    Lipizzaner wrote:
    > Am 21-Apr-2007, C A Upsdell <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com"> schrieb:
    >
    >> Lipizzaner wrote:
    >>> Today I coded an htm page using the CSS {font:12pt/11pt} statement. To my
    >>> astonishment, Internet Exploder (5.5) rendered it quite nicely and as
    >>> intended.
    >>> FireFox rendered it as if I had written {12pt/14pt - or more} i.e. with an
    >>> ugly
    >>> visible space in-between successive lines - which was precisely what I
    >>> wanted to
    >>> avoid by using the CSS statement. How can I avoid this?

    >> URL?

    > umm - well, that's a bit sensitive. It's actually a web page for a newsgroup
    > that does not want to be known too publicly. *Nothing illegal* (in my country -
    > Libya, Dubai or the USA may differ), just trying to stay spam-free. Just
    > curious: why do you need a URL? Is this the first time someone questioned the
    > font handling in Fx?

    If you supply a URL to the page people can view the page so they can see
    what you are seeing and supply and answer.

    If your so security conscious Create a Dummy page and use the exact same
    Formatting/CSS.

  8. Re: Font-size support

    On 21/04/2007 16:24, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David
    McRitchie to generate the following:? :
    > "squaredancer"
    >
    > << snipped >>
    >
    > Why is it that some of the most uncooperative people
    > get the most complete answers.
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/posting.htm

    probably, David because....

    hmmmm - he's got something to hide.... =-O
    I'll give him some info, then he'll show me his URL..... 8-)
    and *then* I can look at all those porn-pics that he's hiding *lol* :-D

    or did you hope for something else ????? :-[

    reg

+ Reply to Thread