Stored form field data? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Stored form field data? - Mozilla ; It's quite the timesaver when FF provides information for form fields taken from previous forms that I've filled out. When I order something, it kindly provides my street address as soon as I type in my house's first number, and ...

  1. Stored form field data?

    It's quite the timesaver when FF provides information for form fields
    taken from previous forms that I've filled out. When I order something,
    it kindly provides my street address as soon as I type in my house's
    first number, and so forth. However, when it pops up my Mastercard
    number as soon as I type the initial "5" of the sixteen digit number, I
    wonder how secure the data are.

    Also, the form-filling system pulls up out-of-date information. Is it
    possible to clean up the stored information?

    --

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
    71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

  2. Re: Stored form field data?

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
    > It's quite the timesaver when FF provides information for form fields
    > taken from previous forms that I've filled out. When I order something,
    > it kindly provides my street address as soon as I type in my house's
    > first number, and so forth. However, when it pops up my Mastercard
    > number as soon as I type the initial "5" of the sixteen digit number, I
    > wonder how secure the data are.

    Is the traffic to the site in question encrypted? (url starts with
    https://)?

    > Also, the form-filling system pulls up out-of-date information. Is it
    > possible to clean up the stored information?

    Tools -> Clear private data

    You can also stop Firefox from saving any form information from the
    settings, if you like to.

  3. Re: Stored form field data?

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
    > It's quite the timesaver when FF provides information for form fields
    > taken from previous forms that I've filled out. When I order something,
    > it kindly provides my street address as soon as I type in my house's
    > first number, and so forth. However, when it pops up my Mastercard
    > number as soon as I type the initial "5" of the sixteen digit number, I
    > wonder how secure the data are.

    The only "security" is that form history (and other things) are stored
    using a horrible file format called Mork, and there aren't many parsers
    for it. :-)

    Whenever I'm entering credit card numbers, I always turn saving form
    data off (Firefox 2.0: Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Remember what I
    enter in forms and the search bar). And then I forget to turn it back on
    for a few hours -- argh!

    > Also, the form-filling system pulls up out-of-date information. Is it
    > possible to clean up the stored information?

    You can delete one item by, when you're in the form field, using the up
    and down arrows to navigate through the history and hitting Shift+Delete
    on the items you want to remove.
    --
    Matt Nordhoff, who doesn't read his email (I will, eventually! Maybe!)

  4. Re: Stored form field data?

    On 4/18/2007 3:08 PM Aggro wrote:

    > Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
    >> It's quite the timesaver when FF provides information for form fields
    >> taken from previous forms that I've filled out. When I order
    >> something, it kindly provides my street address as soon as I type in
    >> my house's first number, and so forth. However, when it pops up my
    >> Mastercard number as soon as I type the initial "5" of the sixteen
    >> digit number, I wonder how secure the data are.

    > Is the traffic to the site in question encrypted? (url starts with
    > https://)?
    >
    >> Also, the form-filling system pulls up out-of-date information. Is it
    >> possible to clean up the stored information?

    > Tools -> Clear private data
    >
    > You can also stop Firefox from saving any form information from the
    > settings, if you like to.

    I should be more assiduous about watching to see if a site is encrypted.
    But that doesn't affect whether something like a credit card number
    saved locally as form data is encrypted or not, does it?

    W/r/t clearing form data, I like the functionality of having form data
    recallable, as it speeds up filling out, well, forms. I don't want to
    wipe it all, just some odd entries that are quite out of date. Matt
    Nordoff provided a way to do that - thanks, Matt!

    I see that Mork, the file format which Matt tells us is used by FF is
    quoted on Wikipedia by a former Netscape engineer as being "...the
    single most braindamaged file format that I have ever seen in my
    nineteen year career."

    Comforting, I suppose. But even so, I'm not certain whether its
    obscurity and reported byzantine characteristics are good enough to
    count on to protect my data if this laptop ever gets stolen.

    --

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
    71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
    84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana")
    74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano
    KG6RCR

  5. Re: Stored form field data?

    Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
    > I should be more assiduous about watching to see if a site is encrypted.
    > But that doesn't affect whether something like a credit card number
    > saved locally as form data is encrypted or not, does it?

    I doubt it.

    > W/r/t clearing form data, I like the functionality of having form data
    > recallable, as it speeds up filling out, well, forms. I don't want to
    > wipe it all, just some odd entries that are quite out of date. Matt
    > Nordoff provided a way to do that - thanks, Matt!

    :-)

    > I see that Mork, the file format which Matt tells us is used by FF is
    > quoted on Wikipedia by a former Netscape engineer as being "...the
    > single most braindamaged file format that I have ever seen in my
    > nineteen year career."
    >
    > Comforting, I suppose. But even so, I'm not certain whether its
    > obscurity and reported byzantine characteristics are good enough to
    > count on to protect my data if this laptop ever gets stolen.

    Heh. It's just a little bit of security through obscurity. There are
    parsers for Mork, and it would be easy to write a script to make a Mork
    file readable enough to search for credit card number-length series of
    digits in it. A determined person would be able to find the data. (Heck,
    using Firefox at all instead of IE makes someone less likely to find the
    data.)

    Maybe you should get one of those thingies that encrypts the entire
    contents of your hard drive and only lets someone boot the computer if
    he enters the password. Just hope you don't get a brain injury and
    forget your password! ;-)
    --
    Matt Nordhoff, who doesn't read his email (I will, eventually! Maybe!)

  6. Re: Stored form field data?

    Matt Nordhoff typed:
    > Mike Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
    >> I should be more assiduous about watching to see if a site is
    >> encrypted. But that doesn't affect whether something like a credit
    >> card number saved locally as form data is encrypted or not, does it?

    > I doubt it.
    >
    >> W/r/t clearing form data, I like the functionality of having form data
    >> recallable, as it speeds up filling out, well, forms. I don't want to
    >> wipe it all, just some odd entries that are quite out of date. Matt
    >> Nordoff provided a way to do that - thanks, Matt!

    > :-)
    >
    >> I see that Mork, the file format which Matt tells us is used by FF is
    >> quoted on Wikipedia by a former Netscape engineer as being "...the
    >> single most braindamaged file format that I have ever seen in my
    >> nineteen year career."
    >>
    >> Comforting, I suppose. But even so, I'm not certain whether its
    >> obscurity and reported byzantine characteristics are good enough to
    >> count on to protect my data if this laptop ever gets stolen.

    > Heh. It's just a little bit of security through obscurity. There are
    > parsers for Mork, and it would be easy to write a script to make a Mork
    > file readable enough to search for credit card number-length series of
    > digits in it. A determined person would be able to find the data. (Heck,
    > using Firefox at all instead of IE makes someone less likely to find the
    > data.)
    >
    > Maybe you should get one of those thingies that encrypts the entire
    > contents of your hard drive and only lets someone boot the computer if
    > he enters the password. Just hope you don't get a brain injury and
    > forget your password! ;-)

    I'm enough brain-injured already to make that a risky proposition. But
    otherwise, maybe not bad advice!

+ Reply to Thread