Help my mom! - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Help my mom! - Mozilla ; I am trying to get my mom (and dad and aunt and a few others...) to switch to and stay with Firefox. They are all a bit older (late 50s, early 60s) and newbies to the Internet. So they always ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

  1. Help my mom!

    I am trying to get my mom (and dad and aunt and a few others...) to
    switch to and stay with Firefox. They are all a bit older (late 50s,
    early 60s) and newbies to the Internet. So they always click on IE
    even though I keep telling them that IE sucks. Suggestions????

  2. Re: Help my mom!

    jennaclaw@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am trying to get my mom (and dad and aunt and a few others...) to
    > switch to and stay with Firefox. They are all a bit older (late 50s,
    > early 60s) and newbies to the Internet. So they always click on IE
    > even though I keep telling them that IE sucks. Suggestions????

    Hide the IE icon. Replace the FF icon with the IE icon.
    Disable IE:
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5838360.html

    There. You've got three.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Help my mom!

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > jennaclaw@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I am trying to get my mom (and dad and aunt and a few others...) to
    >> switch to and stay with Firefox. They are all a bit older (late 50s,
    >> early 60s) and newbies to the Internet. So they always click on IE
    >> even though I keep telling them that IE sucks. Suggestions????
    >>

    > Hide the IE icon. Replace the FF icon with the IE icon. Disable IE:
    > http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5838360.html
    >
    > There. You've got three.

    if those don't work, then threaten them with taking their
    meds away, or you'll put them in a nursing home ;-) :-D

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: Help my mom!

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo skrev:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> jennaclaw@gmail.com wrote:
    >>> I am trying to get my mom (and dad and aunt and a few others...) to
    >>> switch to and stay with Firefox. They are all a bit older (late 50s,
    >>> early 60s) and newbies to the Internet. So they always click on IE
    >>> even though I keep telling them that IE sucks. Suggestions????
    >>>

    >> Hide the IE icon. Replace the FF icon with the IE icon. Disable IE:
    >> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5838360.html
    >>
    >> There. You've got three.
    >>

    > if those don't work, then threaten them with taking their meds away, or
    > you'll put them in a nursing home ;-) :-D

    Threats are not needed. Actions are better.

    Right-click on the "Start" Menu. Click on "Explore" (I think its
    Explore, I use a Swedish XP so I dont know the English word here) Then
    you see all accounts on your PC. On the each account you want to hide
    IE, locate the shortcuts to IE in the "Start" menu and "Desktop" folders.
    Now you can remove the shortcuts to IE or you can move and rename the
    shortcuts to another location in the "Start" manu and "Desktop" folders.
    The 2 folders have subfolders so they can easily be moved. Just be sure
    you move the shortcuts to another folder in the "Start"-menu and
    "Desktop" folders.

    Depending on your set-up it can be enough to remove or /move/rename the
    shortcut in the "Start"-menu and "Desktop" folders for the "All Users"
    account.

    If you dont remove the shortcuts its an good idea to change the icon for
    IE so its more difficult to identify.

    What I did was to remove the IE shortcuts from all accounts except from
    my own account.

    Cheers

  5. Re: Help my mom!

    Stefan skrev:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo skrev:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> Hide the IE icon. Replace the FF icon with the IE icon. Disable IE:
    >>> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5838360.html
    >>>
    >>> There. You've got three.
    >>>

    >> if those don't work, then threaten them with taking their meds away,
    >> or you'll put them in a nursing home ;-) :-D
    >>

    > Threats are not needed. Actions are better.
    >
    > Right-click on the "Start" Menu. Click on "Explore" (I think its
    > Explore, I use a Swedish XP so I dont know the English word here) Then
    > you see all accounts on your PC. On the each account you want to hide
    > IE, locate the shortcuts to IE in the "Start" menu and "Desktop" folders.
    > Now you can remove the shortcuts to IE or you can move and rename the
    > shortcuts to another location in the "Start" manu and "Desktop" folders.
    > The 2 folders have subfolders so they can easily be moved. Just be sure
    > you move the shortcuts to another folder in the "Start"-menu and
    > "Desktop" folders.
    >
    > Depending on your set-up it can be enough to remove or /move/rename the
    > shortcut in the "Start"-menu and "Desktop" folders for the "All Users"
    > account.
    >
    > If you dont remove the shortcuts its an good idea to change the icon for
    > IE so its more difficult to identify.
    >
    > What I did was to remove the IE shortcuts from all accounts except from
    > my own account.
    >
    > Cheers

    Sorry Peter, I didnt notice you actaully had inserted a link with the
    solution

  6. Re: Help my mom!

    jennaclaw@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am trying to get my mom (and dad and aunt and a few others...) to
    > switch to and stay with Firefox. They are all a bit older (late 50s,
    > early 60s) and newbies to the Internet. So they always click on IE
    > even though I keep telling them that IE sucks. Suggestions????

    "http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=16403"

  7. Re: Help my mom!

    Stefan wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo skrev:
    >> if those don't work, then threaten them with taking their meds away,
    >> or you'll put them in a nursing home ;-) :-D
    >>

    > Threats are not needed. Actions are better.

    ahhh man, its was a bloody joke!

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: Help my mom!

    On 4/13/2007 2:09 AM, jennaclaw@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am trying to get my mom (and dad and aunt and a few others...) to
    > switch to and stay with Firefox. They are all a bit older (late 50s,
    > early 60s) and newbies to the Internet. So they always click on IE
    > even though I keep telling them that IE sucks. Suggestions????

    Tell them the truth (with a slant). I assume they
    frequently ask you for help and advice. Tell them that you
    don't use IE, so you can't really help solve their problem.
    But if they would try it in Firefox, you could probably be
    much more helpful. The "slant" part comes in using this
    approach consistently, even on things you do know about.

    If that doesn't work, offer to help upgrade their systems to
    the new IE7. One of two things will happen, if your
    experience mirrors my own:
    1) They'll hate it and beg you to show them Firefox, or
    2) You will be much more convincing when you tell them you
    can't help them with IE any more, because everything is
    different now.

  9. Re: Help my mom!

    On 2007-04-13 04:03 (-0600 UTC), Stefan wrote:

    > What I did was to remove the IE shortcuts from all accounts except from
    > my own account.

    I seem to recall removing it from C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Desktop and then just running it (when needed) by pressing WinKey, R
    and entering iexplore, then pressing .

    Yeah, I'm one of those who frequently find the keyboard faster than the
    mouse. . . .

    --
    /b.

    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  10. Re: Help my mom!

    On 2007-04-13 11:43 (-0600 UTC), Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    > Stefan wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo skrev:
    >>> if those don't work, then threaten them with taking their meds away,
    >>> or you'll put them in a nursing home ;-) :-D
    >>>

    >> Threats are not needed. Actions are better.

    > ahhh man, its was a bloody joke!

    No blood, human or otherwise, was shed in the making of this
    joke.

    Speaking of bloody, who else here has seen /Grindhouse/? (I saw it last
    Friday, when it opened, which has to be the most perverse thing I've ever
    done on a Good Friday. . . .)

    --
    /b.

    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  11. Re: Help my mom!

    On 2007-04-13 15:17 (-0600 UTC), Dan Howard wrote:

    > If that doesn't work, offer to help upgrade their systems to the new
    > IE7. One of two things will happen, if your experience mirrors my own:
    > 1) They'll hate it and beg you to show them Firefox, or
    > 2) You will be much more convincing when you tell them you can't help
    > them with IE any more, because everything is different now.

    Aaaiiiieeeee!!!!!!

    :-D

    --
    /b.

    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  12. Re: Help my mom!

    jennaclaw@gmail.com wrote:

    > I am trying to get my mom (and dad and aunt and a few others...) to
    > switch to and stay with Firefox. They are all a bit older (late 50s,
    > early 60s) and newbies to the Internet. So they always click on IE
    > even though I keep telling them that IE sucks. Suggestions????

    Delete the IE icon? My mom (90 in Decemnber) tried both and liked the
    Firefox/Thunderbird combo better than the MS equivalents.

    Did you give them choices about FF (and/or TB) configuration? Did you show
    them how easy it is to use? Did you explain the advantages of tabbed
    browsing?

    the day they start making vacuum cleaners." --Ernst Jan Plugge

  13. Re: Help my mom!

    Brian Heinrich wrote:

    > On 2007-04-13 11:43 (-0600 UTC), Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >
    >> Stefan wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Threats are not needed. Actions are better.

    >> ahhh man, its was a bloody joke!

    > No blood, human or otherwise, was shed in the making of this
    > joke.

    > Speaking of bloody, who else here has seen /Grindhouse/? (I saw it last
    > Friday, when it opened, which has to be the most perverse thing I've ever
    > done on a Good Friday. . . .)

    I'm looking forward to it -- sooner or later Blockbuster will get it.

    Best Easter joke:

    Three blondes died and are at the pearly gates of Heaven. St. Peter tells
    them that they can enter the gates if they can answer one simple question.

    St. Peter asks the first blonde, "What is Easter?" The blonde replies, "Oh,
    that's easy! It's the holiday in November when everyone gets together, eats
    turkey, and are thankful."

    "Wrong!," replies St. Peter, and proceeds to ask the second blonde the same
    question, "What is Easter?" The second blonde replies, "Easter is the
    holiday in December when we put up a nice tree, exchange presents, and
    celebrate the birth of Jesus."

    St. Peter looks at the second blonde, shakes his head in disgust, tells her
    she's wrong, and then peers over his glasses at the third blonde. He asks,
    "What is Easter?" The third blonde smiles confidently and looks St. Peter in
    the eyes, "I know what Easter is." "Oh?" says St. Peter, incredulously.
    "Easter is the Christian holiday that coincides with the Jewish celebration
    of Passover. Jesus and his disciples were eating at the last supper and
    Jesus was later deceived and turned over to the Romans by one of his
    disciples. The Romans took him to be crucified and he was stabbed in the
    side, made to wear a crown of thorns, and was hung on a cross with nails
    through his hands. He was buried in a nearby cave which was sealed off by a
    large boulder."

    St. Peter smiles broadly with delight. The third blonde continues, "Every
    year the boulder is moved aside so that Jesus can come out... and, if he
    sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter.

    the day they start making vacuum cleaners." --Ernst Jan Plugge

  14. Re: Help my mom!

    On 2007-04-13 21:42 (-0600 UTC), The Real Bev wrote:

    > Brian Heinrich wrote:

    >>> ahhh man, its was a bloody joke!

    >> No blood, human or otherwise, was shed in the making of
    >> this joke.

    >> Speaking of bloody, who else here has seen /Grindhouse/? (I saw it
    >> last Friday, when it opened, which has to be the most perverse thing
    >> I've ever done on a Good Friday. . . .)

    > I'm looking forward to it -- sooner or later Blockbuster will get it.

    It really is one of those movies that you need to see with a crowd -- the
    last time I can remember an audience applauding at a film was when I saw the
    preview of /Pulp Fiction/ in 1994 -- . . . but it happened -- twice -- last
    Friday. . . .

    > Best Easter joke:
    >
    > Three blondes died and are at the pearly gates of Heaven. St. Peter
    > tells them that they can enter the gates if they can answer one simple
    > question.
    >
    > St. Peter asks the first blonde, "What is Easter?" The blonde replies,
    > "Oh, that's easy! It's the holiday in November when everyone gets
    > together, eats turkey, and are thankful."
    >
    > "Wrong!," replies St. Peter, and proceeds to ask the second blonde the
    > same question, "What is Easter?" The second blonde replies, "Easter is
    > the holiday in December when we put up a nice tree, exchange presents,
    > and celebrate the birth of Jesus."
    >
    > St. Peter looks at the second blonde, shakes his head in disgust, tells
    > her she's wrong, and then peers over his glasses at the third blonde. He
    > asks, "What is Easter?" The third blonde smiles confidently and looks
    > St. Peter in the eyes, "I know what Easter is." "Oh?" says St. Peter,
    > incredulously. "Easter is the Christian holiday that coincides with the
    > Jewish celebration of Passover. Jesus and his disciples were eating at
    > the last supper and Jesus was later deceived and turned over to the
    > Romans by one of his disciples. The Romans took him to be crucified and
    > he was stabbed in the side, made to wear a crown of thorns, and was hung
    > on a cross with nails through his hands. He was buried in a nearby cave
    > which was sealed off by a large boulder."
    >
    > St. Peter smiles broadly with delight. The third blonde continues,
    > "Every year the boulder is moved aside so that Jesus can come out...
    > and, if he sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter.

    Ooh. . . . -- But, really, I /do/ need to remember that. :-D

    --
    /b.

    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  15. Re: Help my mom!

    On 4/12/2007 11:09 PM On a whim, jennaclaw@gmail.com pounded out on the
    keyboard

    > I am trying to get my mom (and dad and aunt and a few others...) to
    > switch to and stay with Firefox. They are all a bit older (late 50s,
    > early 60s) and newbies to the Internet. So they always click on IE
    > even though I keep telling them that IE sucks. Suggestions????

    If they're using IE6 or above, open Control Panel, open Add or Remove
    Programs, click on Add or Remove Windows Components, uncheck Internet
    Explorer. It will be removed as it's no longer an integral part of
    Explorer as it was in version 5.

    --
    Terry R.

  16. Re: Help my mom!

    On 13/04/2007 23:17, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Dan Howard to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 4/13/2007 2:09 AM, jennaclaw@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to get my mom (and dad and aunt and a few others...) to
    >> switch to and stay with Firefox. They are all a bit older (late 50s,
    >> early 60s) and newbies to the Internet. So they always click on IE
    >> even though I keep telling them that IE sucks. Suggestions????
    >>

    > Tell them the truth (with a slant). I assume they
    > frequently ask you for help and advice. Tell them that you
    > don't use IE, so you can't really help solve their problem.
    > But if they would try it in Firefox, you could probably be
    > much more helpful. The "slant" part comes in using this
    > approach consistently, even on things you do know about.
    >
    > If that doesn't work, offer to help upgrade their systems to
    > the new IE7. One of two things will happen, if your
    > experience mirrors my own:
    > 1) They'll hate it and beg you to show them Firefox, or
    > 2) You will be much more convincing when you tell them you
    > can't help them with IE any more, because everything is
    > different now.

    hmmmmm - some people are more sadistic than even ol' Count Sade himself!
    (or was he a Baron??)

    reg

  17. Re: Help my mom!

    squaredancer wrote:

    > Dan Howard wrote:
    >> On 4/13/2007 2:09 AM, jennaclaw@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to get my mom (and dad and aunt and a few others...) to
    >>> switch to and stay with Firefox. They are all a bit older (late 50s,
    >>> early 60s) and newbies to the Internet. So they always click on IE
    >>> even though I keep telling them that IE sucks. Suggestions????
    >>>

    >> Tell them the truth (with a slant). I assume they
    >> frequently ask you for help and advice. Tell them that you
    >> don't use IE, so you can't really help solve their problem.
    >> But if they would try it in Firefox, you could probably be
    >> much more helpful. The "slant" part comes in using this
    >> approach consistently, even on things you do know about.
    >>
    >> If that doesn't work, offer to help upgrade their systems to
    >> the new IE7. One of two things will happen, if your
    >> experience mirrors my own:
    >> 1) They'll hate it and beg you to show them Firefox, or
    >> 2) You will be much more convincing when you tell them you
    >> can't help them with IE any more, because everything is
    >> different now.
    >>

    > hmmmmm - some people are more sadistic than even ol' Count Sade himself!
    > (or was he a Baron??)

    Marquis.

    But you must remember that we're dealing with tough love here, not sadism.
    If Jenna goes nuts she won't be able to offer ANY help to her aging (and
    younger than I am) parents. The first rule for emergency medical persons is
    to preserve their OWN lives -- they can't help anybody if they're dead. The
    same goes for IT helpstaff.

    "Not everyone can be above average so why
    shouldn't we be the ones to suck?"
    --Anonymous School Board Member

  18. Re: Help my mom!

    On 2007-04-14 18:53 (-0600 UTC), The Real Bev wrote:

    >> hmmmmm - some people are more sadistic than even ol' Count Sade
    >> himself! (or was he a Baron??)

    > Marquis.

    If memory serves -- and it's been a few years and I don't have references to
    hand -- , the family used both the terms Marquis and Comte, and D.A.F. used
    the title Marquis earlier in his life but later ceded it to his son and was
    simply Donatien Alphonse François, comte de Sade.

    --
    /b.

    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  19. Re: Help my mom!

    Brian Heinrich wrote:

    > On 2007-04-14 18:53 (-0600 UTC), The Real Bev wrote:
    >

    >>> hmmmmm - some people are more sadistic than even ol' Count Sade
    >>> himself! (or was he a Baron??)

    >> Marquis.

    > If memory serves -- and it's been a few years and I don't have references to
    > hand -- , the family used both the terms Marquis and Comte, and D.A.F. used
    > the title Marquis earlier in his life but later ceded it to his son and was
    > simply Donatien Alphonse François, comte de Sade.

    I bow to your superior and far more extensive knowledge. My study of
    European history consisted of pretty much one course, the instructor of
    which told the same dirty jokes about the Empress Maria Theresa of Austria
    every year. And the Battle of Hastings in 1066 ("Yes, it WILL be on the
    test."), but I don't think Maria had anything to do with that.

    "The way England treats her prisoners, she doesn't
    deserve to have any." --Oscar Wilde

  20. Re: Help my mom!

    jennaclaw@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am trying to get my mom (and dad and aunt and a few others...) to
    > switch to and stay with Firefox. They are all a bit older (late 50s,
    > early 60s) and newbies to the Internet. So they always click on IE
    > even though I keep telling them that IE sucks. Suggestions????

    Leave them be. IE works correctly more often than FF!!!

    --

    Lou
    Please do something good for the world!

+ Reply to Thread