Help my mom! - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Help my mom! - Mozilla ; On 2007-04-16 13:33 (-0600 UTC), Lou wrote: > Leave them be. IE works correctly more often than FF!!! *blink* -- It does? I haven't used IE for some years now, so I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'correctly'. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

  1. Re: Help my mom!

    --
    /b.

    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  2. Re: Help my mom!

    Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2007-04-16 13:33 (-0600 UTC), Lou wrote:
    >

    >> Leave them be. IE works correctly more often than FF!!!

    > *blink* -- It does?
    >
    > I haven't used IE for some years now, so I'm not quite sure what you
    > mean by 'correctly'. . . .

    I started two threads about Firefox issues, both have FF in the subject.
    Take a look.

    --

    Lou
    Please do something good for the world!

  3. Re: Help my mom!

    On 4/16/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Brian Heinrich pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 2007-04-16 13:33 (-0600 UTC), Lou wrote:
    >

    >> Leave them be. IE works correctly more often than FF!!!

    > *blink* -- It does?
    >
    > I haven't used IE for some years now, so I'm not quite sure what you mean by
    > 'correctly'. . . .

    Lou was in "complain" mode. He was having a couple issues that even he
    realized wasn't a FF problem but more due to something he has installed
    to it. So at the time he was feeling that way.

    --
    Terry R.

  4. Re: Help my mom!

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 4/16/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Brian Heinrich pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> On 2007-04-16 13:33 (-0600 UTC), Lou wrote:
    >>

    >>> Leave them be. IE works correctly more often than FF!!!

    >> *blink* -- It does?
    >>
    >> I haven't used IE for some years now, so I'm not quite sure what you
    >> mean by 'correctly'. . . .
    >>

    > Lou was in "complain" mode. He was having a couple issues that even he
    > realized wasn't a FF problem but more due to something he has installed
    > to it. So at the time he was feeling that way.

    YAbut NO ONE has ever been able to figure out what the hell is going on
    so, since BOTH IE and Opera have no problem with viewing Yahoo mail I am
    now about to abandon FF.

    --

    Lou
    Please do something good for the world!
    These folks have a system that uses the time your machine would be
    idling showing a screen saver to do Medical and / or Cancer research.
    NO spam or malware. http://www.grid.org/projects/hpf/

  5. Re: Help my mom!

    On 4/17/2007 7:53 AM On a whim, Lou pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:

    >>> *blink* -- It does?
    >>>
    >>> I haven't used IE for some years now, so I'm not quite sure what you
    >>> mean by 'correctly'. . . .
    >>>

    >> Lou was in "complain" mode. He was having a couple issues that even he
    >> realized wasn't a FF problem but more due to something he has installed
    >> to it. So at the time he was feeling that way.
    >>

    > YAbut NO ONE has ever been able to figure out what the hell is going on
    > so, since BOTH IE and Opera have no problem with viewing Yahoo mail I am
    > now about to abandon FF.

    Did you try my suggestions? You haven't reported back.

    --
    Terry R.

  6. Re: Help my mom!

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 4/17/2007 7:53 AM On a whim, Lou pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 4/16/2007 11:31 PM On a whim, Brian Heinrich pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    >>> Lou was in "complain" mode. He was having a couple issues that even
    >>> he realized wasn't a FF problem but more due to something he has
    >>> installed to it. So at the time he was feeling that way.
    >>>

    >> YAbut NO ONE has ever been able to figure out what the hell is going
    >> on so, since BOTH IE and Opera have no problem with viewing Yahoo mail
    >> I am now about to abandon FF.
    >>

    > Did you try my suggestions? You haven't reported back.

    I thought I did report back somewhere. I disabled all add-ons and there
    was no difference.

    --

    Lou
    Please do something good for the world!
    These folks have a system that uses the time your machine would be
    idling showing a screen saver to do Medical and / or Cancer research.
    NO spam or malware. http://www.grid.org/projects/hpf/

  7. Re: Help my mom!

    On 4/17/2007 9:27 AM On a whim, Lou pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:

    >>> YAbut NO ONE has ever been able to figure out what the hell is going
    >>> on so, since BOTH IE and Opera have no problem with viewing Yahoo mail
    >>> I am now about to abandon FF.
    >>>

    >> Did you try my suggestions? You haven't reported back.
    >>

    > I thought I did report back somewhere. I disabled all add-ons and there
    > was no difference.

    But did you also try Safe Mode like I recommended?

    --
    Terry R.

  8. Re: Help my mom!

    Terry R. skrev:
    > On 4/17/2007 9:27 AM On a whim, Lou pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 4/17/2007 7:53 AM On a whim, Lou pounded out on the keyboard

    >>> Did you try my suggestions? You haven't reported back.
    >>>

    >> I thought I did report back somewhere. I disabled all add-ons and
    >> there was no difference.
    >>

    > But did you also try Safe Mode like I recommended?

    Anyone heard of PMS?. PMS = Post Microsoft Syndrome

  9. Re: Help my mom!

    On 2007-04-17 08:53 (-0600 UTC), Lou wrote:

    > YAbut NO ONE has ever been able to figure out what the hell is going on [ . . . ]

    This wouldn't be the issue whereby you actually have to go and change
    something in the Yahoo! Mail control panel, would it?

    > [ . . . ]
    > so, since BOTH IE and Opera have no problem with viewing Yahoo mail I am
    > now about to abandon FF.

    I find Opera rather awkward to use, but still prefer it to IE. . . .

    --
    /b.

    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  10. Re: Help my mom!

    Wouldn't this problem with Yahoo mail be handled better by continuing
    in the Lou's original thread, rather than as footnote to this long thread.
    I think there was little feedback in Lou's thread(s). I don't think
    there was any report back on running in safe mode, or if there
    were changes to userChrome.css
    See
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...tm#diagnostics
    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

  11. Re: Help my mom!

    On 4/17/2007 1:41 PM On a whim, David McRitchie pounded out on the keyboard

    > Wouldn't this problem with Yahoo mail be handled better by continuing
    > in the Lou's original thread, rather than as footnote to this long thread.
    > I think there was little feedback in Lou's thread(s). I don't think
    > there was any report back on running in safe mode, or if there
    > were changes to userChrome.css
    > See
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...tm#diagnostics

    Sure it would if the OP would do so rather than continuing his
    complaints in this thread. I asked him if he tried my suggestions (in
    his post) and he hasn't completely answered it yet, nor answered it in
    his thread.

    --
    Terry R.

  12. Re: Help my mom!

    Lou wrote:
    > YAbut NO ONE has ever been able to figure out what the hell is going on
    > so, since BOTH IE and Opera have no problem with viewing Yahoo mail I am
    > now about to abandon FF.

    yahoo mail, hotmail, aim.com and others are working just
    fine for me.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  13. FF not so good (was Help my mom!)

    David McRitchie wrote:
    > Wouldn't this problem with Yahoo mail be handled better by continuing
    > in the Lou's original thread, rather than as footnote to this long thread.
    > I think there was little feedback in Lou's thread(s). I don't think
    > there was any report back on running in safe mode, or if there
    > were changes to userChrome.css
    > See
    > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...tm#diagnostics

    I do not use adblock.

    If it is possible to copy/paste the entire prefs file I will - all I
    need are instructions.

    --

    Lou
    Please do something good for the world!
    These folks have a system that uses the time your machine would be
    idling showing a screen saver to do Medical and / or Cancer research.
    NO spam or malware. http://www.grid.org/projects/hpf/

  14. Re: Help my mom!

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 4/17/2007 1:41 PM On a whim, David McRitchie pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Wouldn't this problem with Yahoo mail be handled better by continuing
    >> in the Lou's original thread, rather than as footnote to this long
    >> thread.
    >> I think there was little feedback in Lou's thread(s). I don't think
    >> there was any report back on running in safe mode, or if there
    >> were changes to userChrome.css
    >> See
    >> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...tm#diagnostics

    > Sure it would if the OP would do so rather than continuing his
    > complaints in this thread. I asked him if he tried my suggestions (in
    > his post) and he hasn't completely answered it yet, nor answered it in
    > his thread.

    The OP has lost the original thread since he only sees Unread items

    --

    Lou
    Please do something good for the world!
    These folks have a system that uses the time your machine would be
    idling showing a screen saver to do Medical and / or Cancer research.
    NO spam or malware. http://www.grid.org/projects/hpf/

  15. Re: Help my mom!

    "Lou" wrote...
    > The OP has lost the original thread since he only sees Unread items

    Hi Lou,
    Might help to learn to use your newsreader better, I'm sure you
    have something in Thunderbird such as "show my messages".
    Messages often get lost track of even missing from the
    newsgroup's server, especially if you get to a bad server,
    but you can almost always find missing messages at Google Groups.

    It would be good to get familiar with Google Groups Advanced
    Search. Put your email address into the author. You can limit
    by date range. I lost my stored things because of what I believe
    were server problems as giganews, and I really don't want to
    reload everything anyway, so I only see one thread you started
    on my machine, but you can find everything at Google Groups.
    See
    http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...hl=en&num=100&

    also see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...m#groupssearch

    You will find your post among this year's
    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...1&as_miny=2007

    and if you register you can continue from there (in Google Groups)
    rather than trying to find the thread again in your newsreader, which
    is Thunderbird and I have no suggestions for using TB. So if you
    have something to add to the thread then you will see the thread
    again in your newsreader even if only showing unread messages.

    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/firefox.htm

  16. Re: FF not so good (was Help my mom!)

    "Lou"

    > I do not use adblock.
    >
    > If it is possible to copy/paste the entire prefs file I will - all I
    > need are instructions.

    Hopefully you will continue not here but in one of your original
    threads pertaining your problem.

    If you are on Windows then suggest starting with
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/profile.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/quicklaunch.htm
    the prefs.js file in your profile is generated
    the userpref.js file in your profile are your own changes
    and tell Firefox to use these each time you startup
    and will override at each startup changes made through
    about:config and your tools options.

    You can open the file in Firefox and look at it. Copy and paste
    elsewhere. If you look at my home page, you might notice
    that I use Notepad and if things don't look right there that
    I use HTML-Kit and save with appropriate settings then I
    can use Notepad. I use HTML-Kit because I have web
    pages, might be overkill otherwise. But if you aren't using
    Windows then half of what I say on this might not be
    relevant to you.. Hope to see you in your original thread.

  17. Re: Help my mom!

    On 4/17/2007 3:01 PM On a whim, Lou pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> On 4/17/2007 1:41 PM On a whim, David McRitchie pounded out on the keyboard
    >>
    >>> Wouldn't this problem with Yahoo mail be handled better by continuing
    >>> in the Lou's original thread, rather than as footnote to this long
    >>> thread.
    >>> I think there was little feedback in Lou's thread(s). I don't think
    >>> there was any report back on running in safe mode, or if there
    >>> were changes to userChrome.css
    >>> See
    >>> http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...tm#diagnostics

    >> Sure it would if the OP would do so rather than continuing his
    >> complaints in this thread. I asked him if he tried my suggestions (in
    >> his post) and he hasn't completely answered it yet, nor answered it in
    >> his thread.
    >>

    > The OP has lost the original thread since he only sees Unread items

    Lou,

    Click View, Messages, All.

    --
    Terry R.

  18. Re: Help my mom!

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 4/17/2007 3:01 PM On a whim, Lou pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 4/17/2007 1:41 PM On a whim, David McRitchie pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    >>> Sure it would if the OP would do so rather than continuing his
    >>> complaints in this thread. I asked him if he tried my suggestions
    >>> (in his post) and he hasn't completely answered it yet, nor answered
    >>> it in his thread.
    >>>

    >> The OP has lost the original thread since he only sees Unread items
    >>

    > Lou,
    >
    > Click View, Messages, All.

    I know I know but that show 1,234,560 messages

    --

    Lou
    Please do something good for the world!
    These folks have a system that uses the time your machine would be
    idling showing a screen saver to do Medical and / or Cancer research.
    NO spam or malware. http://www.grid.org/projects/hpf/

  19. Re: Help my mom!

    On 4/17/2007 4:35 PM On a whim, Lou pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:

    >>> The OP has lost the original thread since he only sees Unread items
    >>>

    >> Lou,
    >>
    >> Click View, Messages, All.
    >>

    > I know I know but that show 1,234,560 messages

    You were again sounding like you're complaining about a feature, so I
    explained how to change it. So, View All, locate your "lost thread",
    reply and change the view settings back!

    --
    Terry R.

  20. Re: Help my mom!

    On 2007-04-17 17:39 (-0600 UTC), Terry R. wrote:

    > So, View All, locate your "lost thread",
    > reply and change the view settings back!

    Which I do any time I need to find a specific post, since I only view unread
    posts.

    Another possibility: use [Flag|Star] and/or labels/tags in conjunction with
    virtual folders (Saved Searches) to keep track of things. . . .