online list of extensions - Mozilla

This is a discussion on online list of extensions - Mozilla ; I used to keep an online list of extensions I use, with links to their homepages, so I could easily get to the ones I wanted on multiple computers. It's still online, but not updated for a long time, because ...

  1. online list of extensions

    I used to keep an online list of extensions I use, with links to their
    homepages, so I could easily get to the ones I wanted on multiple
    computers. It's still online, but not updated for a long time,
    because I carry it around on an external drive now.

    As part of cleaning up and reorganizing my web space, I'm wondering
    whether I should update it or just get rid of it. Does anybody
    actually find such lists of extensions useful?

  2. Re: online list of extensions

    Start here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
    "Q" wrote in message
    >I used to keep an online list of extensions I use, with links to their
    > homepages, so I could easily get to the ones I wanted on multiple
    > computers. It's still online, but not updated for a long time,
    > because I carry it around on an external drive now.
    >
    > As part of cleaning up and reorganizing my web space, I'm wondering
    > whether I should update it or just get rid of it. Does anybody
    > actually find such lists of extensions useful?
    >
    > --

  3. Re: online list of extensions

    In ,
    "Charles W Davis" wrote:

    > "Q" wrote in message
    > > I used to keep an online list of extensions I use, with links to
    > > their homepages, so I could easily get to the ones I wanted on
    > > multiple computers. It's still online, but not updated for a long
    > > time, because I carry it around on an external drive now.
    > >
    > > As part of cleaning up and reorganizing my web space, I'm wondering
    > > whether I should update it or just get rid of it. Does anybody
    > > actually find such lists of extensions useful?

    > Start here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

    I think you've completely misunderstood my question.

  4. Re: online list of extensions

    On 4/6/2007 6:10 PM, Q wrote:
    > I used to keep an online list of extensions I use, with links to their
    > homepages, so I could easily get to the ones I wanted on multiple
    > computers. It's still online, but not updated for a long time,
    > because I carry it around on an external drive now.
    >
    > As part of cleaning up and reorganizing my web space, I'm wondering
    > whether I should update it or just get rid of it. Does anybody
    > actually find such lists of extensions useful?

    Not really. I infrequently use MR Tech Local Install Tools Menu option
    to list the status of all my addons.

    --
    Irwin

  5. Re: online list of extensions

    Q wrote:
    > I used to keep an online list of extensions I use, with links to their
    > homepages, so I could easily get to the ones I wanted on multiple
    > computers. It's still online, but not updated for a long time,
    > because I carry it around on an external drive now.
    >
    > As part of cleaning up and reorganizing my web space, I'm wondering
    > whether I should update it or just get rid of it. Does anybody
    > actually find such lists of extensions useful?

    I always find lists very useful, such as this one:
    http://www.econsultant.com/i-want-fi...ion/index.html

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: online list of extensions

    In ,
    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    wrote:

    > > As part of cleaning up and reorganizing my web space, I'm wondering
    > > whether I should update it or just get rid of it. Does anybody
    > > actually find such lists of extensions useful?

    > I always find lists very useful, such as this one:
    > http://www.econsultant.com/i-want-fi...ion/index.html

    That one's a lot more useful than mine if you're looking for something
    specific. Mine's only a list, not categorized. I think maybe the only
    real benefit is that it's a list of 50+ extensions that don't have any
    compatibility issues with each other. (Well, at least not any I've
    noticed.)

  7. Re: online list of extensions

    Q wrote:
    > In ,
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> As part of cleaning up and reorganizing my web space, I'm wondering
    >>> whether I should update it or just get rid of it. Does anybody
    >>> actually find such lists of extensions useful?

    >> I always find lists very useful, such as this one:
    >> http://www.econsultant.com/i-want-fi...ion/index.html

    > That one's a lot more useful than mine if you're looking for something
    > specific. Mine's only a list, not categorized. I think maybe the only
    > real benefit is that it's a list of 50+ extensions that don't have any
    > compatibility issues with each other. (Well, at least not any I've
    > noticed.)

    why don't you post a link and let the people decide?

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  8. Re: online list of extensions

    wrote:

    > Q wrote:
    > > In ,
    > > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

    > >> I always find lists very useful, such as this one:
    > >> http://www.econsultant.com/i-want-fi...ion/index.html

    > > That one's a lot more useful than mine if you're looking for
    > > something specific. Mine's only a list, not categorized. I think
    > > maybe the only real benefit is that it's a list of 50+ extensions
    > > that don't have any compatibility issues with each other. (Well,
    > > at least not any I've noticed.)
    > >

    > why don't you post a link and let the people decide?

    As it is now, it's too old to be useful. It'll take some work to
    update, and I didn't want to spend the time if it wouldn't help anybody.

  9. Re: online list of extensions

    Charles W Davis wrote:
    > Start here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
    > "Q" wrote in message
    >> I used to keep an online list of extensions I use, with links to their
    >> homepages, so I could easily get to the ones I wanted on multiple
    >> computers. It's still online, but not updated for a long time,
    >> because I carry it around on an external drive now.
    >>
    >> As part of cleaning up and reorganizing my web space, I'm wondering
    >> whether I should update it or just get rid of it. Does anybody
    >> actually find such lists of extensions useful?
    >>
    >> --

    Yes, I do, but I keep backup copies of the install files for the
    extensions that I use, so it is much faster to reinstall them if I have to.

  10. Re: online list of extensions

    "Q" wrote in message news:0kqje4-
    > As it is now, it's too old to be useful. It'll take some work to
    > update, and I didn't want to spend the time if it wouldn't help anybody.

    I looked at gmx.net and don't see a list, why not post the link.
    You can use use the Infolister extension to generate a
    list of what you have, and using a template you can document
    such things as the extension home page, author, description
    without any real work using a template.

    For instance you could automatically document: into columns
    the following type of information for each of your addons
    InfoLister
    http://mozilla.doslash.org/infolister
    0.9f
    Nickolay Ponomarev
    Lists installed extensions and themes

    An example of generated output using a template (my site)
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...er_listing.htm
    On my webpage I document things for each extension that may
    not be immediately apparent, after installing or using an extension.
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firef...htm#infolister

    Examples of other infolister listings without their own template:
    Use a Google search on: infolister "my firefox information"
    http://www.google.com/search?q=+%22m...%22+infolister

    To limit to updated in last three weeks add to the url above
    &as_qdr=m3

    One nice thing about infolister is that it is recreated everytime
    I bring up Firefox, and that created listing gets copied over
    with other updates when I update website.

    --
    David McRitchie, most questions have been asked before.
    Firefox customizations/extensions notes, see

  11. Re: online list of extensions

    In ,
    "David McRitchie" wrote:

    > > As it is now, it's too old to be useful. It'll take some work to
    > > update, and I didn't want to spend the time if it wouldn't help
    > > anybody.

    > I looked at gmx.net and don't see a list, why not post the link.

    gmx.net isn't my domain. Again, I don't post the link because what's
    online now is very outdated.

    > You can use use the Infolister extension

    Thanks; not knowing about InfoLister's templates, I had been using the
    output from ListZilla. Maybe with a some scripting to turn
    InfoLister's output into valid html I'll automate the whole thing.

    A couple of people have said they find lists useful/interesting, so I
    may update and post when I have time. Thanks for the responses.

    --
    »Q«

  12. Re: online list of extensions

    In ,
    Q wrote:

    > As part of cleaning up and reorganizing my web space, I'm wondering
    > whether I should update it or just get rid of it. Does anybody
    > actually find such lists of extensions useful?

    In addition to getting a few replies from people who like seeing lists,
    I remembered the other reason I had that stuff online in the first
    place. The middleclicknocollapse extension has no maintainer since the
    Firefox 1.0.x days, and I have modified it to work with Firefox 1.5 and
    2. I doubt that it will work with places-enabled builds, so I am
    hoping some extension developer will like it and either maintain it or
    write an extension to replace it. (If you know of a replacement
    already, please please tell me about it.)

    middleclicknocollapse:
    (It's not just bumped. I also added a chrome.manifest to it.)

    The list of extensions I use:

    Thanks to David's tip, it's generated using InfoLister and a cleanup
    script. Generation details are linked from the page.

    File under serendipity: The extension descriptions are in title
    attributes, and some of them are longish, so I went to check on the
    status of bug 218223, which has annoyed me for a long time. Turns out
    the fix for it was checked into the trunk earlier today.